PDA

View Full Version : Kerr unhappy with Delaney's statement

co. down green
07/02/2006, 8:32 PM
Brian Kerr's lawyers have written to the FAI seeking redress for "clear and deliberate breach of a legal agreement" made between the former Ireland manager and the Association.

Kerr's side have reacted to comments attributed to the FAI's chief executive John Delaney in an interview in today's Irish Daily Mail.

Delaney is reported to have said that the fear factor for teams visiting Lansdowne Road disappeared under Kerr and that he found interesting Damien Duff's comment that Ireland played like a pub team.

According to a statement this evening, Kerr is "disappointed by the comments and greatly concerned by the inappropriate and mischievous presentation of the facts concerning his management of the team."

He says that the comments are 'defamatory' and "a clear breach of an agreement between him and the Association which he had entered into in good faith."

The Association declined to renew Kerr's contract when it expired at the end of the unsuccessful qualifying campaign for this summer's world cup.

Judging by the statement issued for Kerr tonight, it seems apparent that even though he was out of contract, there was some sort of confidentiality or 'gagging' clause agreed when he left the job and that he believes this agreement has been broken.

http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/

JimmyP
07/02/2006, 9:07 PM
Anyone got a link to the original Daily Mail article?

eirebhoy
07/02/2006, 10:33 PM
The Daily Mail is a new Irish tabloid which is only out this week. Someone would have to scan the article.

CollegeTillIDie
08/02/2006, 7:11 AM
Brian Kerr's lawyers have written to the FAI seeking redress for "clear and deliberate breach of a legal agreement" made between the former Ireland manager and the Association.

Kerr's side have reacted to comments attributed to the FAI's chief executive John Delaney in an interview in today's Irish Daily Mail.

Delaney is reported to have said that the fear factor for teams visiting Lansdowne Road disappeared under Kerr and that he found interesting Damien Duff's comment that Ireland played like a pub team.

According to a statement this evening, Kerr is "disappointed by the comments and greatly concerned by the inappropriate and mischievous presentation of the facts concerning his management of the team."

He says that the comments are 'defamatory' and "a clear breach of an agreement between him and the Association which he had entered into in good faith."

The Association declined to renew Kerr's contract when it expired at the end of the unsuccessful qualifying campaign for this summer's world cup.

Judging by the statement issued for Kerr tonight, it seems apparent that even though he was out of contract, there was some sort of confidentiality or 'gagging' clause agreed when he left the job and that he believes this agreement has been broken.

http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/

If there was a gagging clause then Kerr should sue and win. Delaney has been dropping hints about Kerr's perceived inadequacies on several occasions in recent weeks pushing the envelope out on this. Whatever you think about Kerr, this is in my view an unnecessary attempt to torpedo any future job applications that Brian may make for coaching positions elsewhere.
This constitutes an attempt to prevent him working anywhere else and is a typical piece of Delaneyism. Sue him Brian, and take the FAI to the cleaners!

OwlsFan
08/02/2006, 8:58 AM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0207/kerrb.html

Brian Kerr's lawyers contact the FAI over John Delaney's comments

Brian Kerr's lawyers have written to the FAI seeking redress for "clear and deliberate breach of a legal agreement" made between the former Republic of Ireland manager and the Association.

Jerry The Saint
08/02/2006, 9:12 AM
To be fair, I haven't seen the original article but the reports are that Delaney said he knew we needed a new manager when he saw that the Swiss "weren't afraid" when they came to Lansdowne Road, and they were certainly less afraid than the Dutch were in 2001. We had lost the "Fear Factor" and only Stan the Intimidator could bring the brown back to the opposition's shorts!

Well....OK... but wouldn't a lack of fear have more to do with good management from the Swiss manager rather than necessarily bad management from the team they were playing:confused: And why would the Swiss be afraid coming to Lansdowne - the previous time they played there they beat a team that wasn't managed by Kerr?

On the other hand, the French were positively sh!teing it against us - both home and away. The fact they had to bring back Zidane et al showed that, at the very least, they were apprehensive about playing us in Dublin. You could criticise Kerr for not capitalising on the French unease on either occasion but I don't think it's the FAI's place to do so and it doesn't seem as if Delaney has taken this approach anyway.

I agree with CTID - there has been several instances of sniping at Kerr coming from the FAI (backed up to an extent by Staunton) to justify their decision to get rid of him. Accusations that the Irish team had no passion, were poorly motivated, great young Irish players were ignored because Kerr didn't use the "Granny Rule" like Staunton will - these are all efforts to put a sleight on Kerr's reputation even if he isn't mentioned specifically by name, which the FAI feel covers them (similar to Mickey Harte saying "I'm not saying Dublin are to blame but it's not Tyrone's fault!").

Any comments Kerr makes/has made in the past (both before and during his 8 years working with the FAI) affect his chances of getting another job with them. Ongoing derogatory comments from his former employers affect Kerr's chances of getting a job with anyone else.

beautifulrock
08/02/2006, 11:06 AM
The most worrying part of this is that the Daily Mail is now on sale in Ireland, this is the worst of the worst (yes even worse than the Sun, Star etc) right wing rag. One of the guys at work here (London) buys it and there is at least two articles a day that make my blood boil. Neither are they too slow to put the boot into anything Irish either. I guess I am off topic but the Daily Mail does that to me. I am hoping to hear it is on the shelves by the end of the month.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2006, 11:19 AM
The most worrying part of this is that the Daily Mail is now on sale in Ireland, this is the worst of the worst (yes even worse than the Sun, Star etc) right wing rag. One of the guys at work here (London) buys it and there is at least two articles a day that make my blood boil. Neither are they too slow to put the boot into anything Irish either. I guess I am off topic but the Daily Mail does that to me. I am hoping to hear it is on the shelves by the end of the month.The Mail is utterly vile. It's owner (Lord Rothermere?) supported the Nazis in the 30s & little has changed since. Its deliberate misrepresentation of issues is shameful. On my way back from Japan WC in 2002, my Copenhagen - London flight gave out free copies of the Mail. They featured the "craic" in an Irish bar in London during our WC games & were very complimentray on the good humour and good manners with which the Irish conducted themselves. But could they give unequivocal praise to the Paddies? Could they ****. The last sentence in the article read something like "one wonders how the same people can give rise to Sinn Fein/IRA and their mob of murderers". Made my blood boil I can tell you. Jeff Powell, chief sports columnist, is routinely patronising to Irish, Scots & Welsh & utterly xenophobic to others.

OwlsFan
08/02/2006, 11:37 AM
Absolutely agree. The Mail has always been an anti-Irish paper and they really have a nerve to publish an Irish version of their rag.

Pauro 76
08/02/2006, 11:49 AM
Absolutely agree. The Mail has always been an anti-Irish paper and they really have a nerve to publish an Irish version of their rag.

very surprised that they are bringing out an Irish version of that ‘paper’. Only buy it once a week, just for the job sections which are quite good, the rest is posh boy muck. Daily Express is as bad too, always one or two Diana references in there, god just let it go!

Emmet
08/02/2006, 11:55 AM
If they're hoping to sell that rag in Ireland they'll need to be publishing an entirely different paper: there's no way the racist, right-wing rubbish, that thing contains in England will sell in Ireland

pete
08/02/2006, 12:04 PM
Can we have the Daily Mail discussion in Current Affairs.

This is very petty of both Kerr & Delaney. Kerr should learn to move on however if he sues delaney should resign immediately as clearly too stupid to be CEO.

higgins
08/02/2006, 12:29 PM
The english version is already on sale in Ireland and sells about 10,000 copies daily!! :eek:

klein4
08/02/2006, 1:00 PM
yeah dont think legal action would benefit anyone. I think delaney is entitled to put forward reasons for making a decision altho didnt seem to want to when questions were put to him before.seems a very strange and insecure little man.

Stuttgart88
08/02/2006, 1:03 PM
But what if Delaney has broken a contractual agreement not to comment on Kerr? Otherwise Kerr would have no basis for any action.

Macy
08/02/2006, 1:08 PM
yeah dont think legal action would benefit anyone. I think delaney is entitled to put forward reasons for making a decision
Wouldn't benefit Delaney, if he's broken an agreement. If there was a gagging agreement in place it should be stuck to or Delaney should face the consequences. Delaney obviously has something to hide, to make it (and pay?) with Kerr.

tbh I hope Kerr takes the chance to fully tell his side rather than take the money - declare the agreement null and void and go all out.

klein4
08/02/2006, 1:30 PM
half of me hopes he does come out with his side of the story (curiosity and all that) but half of me would just rather he got on with things. dont think he came out to well in that documentary that was on.needs to get himself a new job and prove his doubters wrong.

OwlsFan
08/02/2006, 1:46 PM
tbh I hope Kerr takes the chance to fully tell his side rather than take the money - declare the agreement null and void and go all out.

He did have a few side swipes in the documentary shown on RTE recently.

There can't be a huge amount to tell on his side. We didn't qualify because we lost leads in the games against Israel but I am sure there are some who will blame the FAI for that :rolleyes:

eirebhoy
08/02/2006, 1:56 PM
He did have a few side swipes in the documentary shown on RTE recently.

There can't be a huge amount to tell on his side. We didn't qualify because we lost leads in the games against Israel but I am sure there are some who will blame the FAI for that :rolleyes:
Owlsfan, no matter how much you want to back the FAI, we don't know what happened behind the scenes when Kerr was in charge. There's certainly more to the story than any of us know about.

OwlsFan
08/02/2006, 3:16 PM
Near the end there was obviously not much (if any) public support coming for the manager when he hinted he wanted an extension to his contract but I don't believe for a minute that anything that happened affected what happened on the pitch.

klein4
08/02/2006, 3:46 PM
well why look for a confidentiallity clause if you have nuthin to hide????