PDA

View Full Version : Who's looking forward to the new season?

Royal rover
07/02/2006, 3:53 PM
I was listening to what i would consider a pub debate (drink talk) and their potential for this coming season

Firstly would most of you agree that survival should be the key aim for this season!

Do all of you rate Sean Connor as a manager (remember these are questions)

Potentially rovers have always had a great traditional support posssibly that it could nearly rival the big guns of the EL, how should the club try and move forward, ie; should a commercial manager be re-appointed?

Transfers- and a genuine lack of unknowns which is not ultimately a bad thing, but would you of prefered if the traditional EL transfer method of either taking has beens( Roddy style) or simply recruiting of Dublin-based players of which most leave after either a good or bad season regardless,

And finally are you happy with the support the club receives around the town by businesses Co Council etc, or do they deserve more (not should they get)

Redzer
08/02/2006, 10:03 AM
A commercial manager has been appointed and is taking up his position in March.
As there is no relegation at the end of this season, a lot of pressure is off both Sean and the team. Saying that, I’m sure Sean will try to compete and finish in as high a position as he can.
I’m glad Sean is targeting specific players and not going for whoever is available. It shows rightly or wrongly that he knows what he wants in a team.
Time will tell, as to how good a manager he is. Whoever he brings in, will be based in Sligo. Players based outside Sligo, and travelling only to games, is not a good practice IMO.
The business community is not been tapped to its potential. There’s a hell of a lot development going on in town and county. A lot of people are making good money. But, we wont get it unless we ask. That’s why we need someone full time seeking different types of sponsorship.
The goodwill is there. It’s important we start off well enough in the league. The money will come in.

sligoman
08/02/2006, 10:09 AM
As there is no relegation at the end of this season, a lot of pressure is off both Sean and the team.I disagree with that. Yes, their is no relegation but our final league position is vitally important too, in order to guarantee us a place in the new league in 2007. The top two in the First Division will out-rank the bottom two in the Premier Division so we need to finish at least 10th, in my opinion, so that we can't be denied a place on the grounds of league placing.

Redzer
08/02/2006, 12:23 PM
The clubs voted to approve in principle an approach, which used additional criteria, other than strict league placing to form the Premier Division in 2007.

So, while placing is important, it will not guarantee a clubs inclusion in the new Premier Division.

I like everyone else is guessing as to what the criteria will be, but, I would imagine that infrastructure, financial positions, academy for youth, marketing budgets and plans, spending and funding plans with audited accounts submitted, and potential for growth would all take precedence over one seasons league position.

sligoman
08/02/2006, 2:18 PM
So, while placing is important, it will not guarantee a clubs inclusion in the new Premier Division.I didn't mean it would guarantee us a place, but it would help our cause. For example, if we were to finish 6th, then it'd be hard for the FAI not to put us in it. But if we finished in the "relegation" areas then it wouldn't be seen as vital to include us.