PDA

View Full Version : Team for new season

roversforever
07/02/2006, 12:03 PM
so what do ye reckon the team will be come the start of the season.i think it will look something like this:
O Hara
Peers
Burns
McNamara
Foy
Raf
O Grady
Hughes
Faz
McT
Flannery

Thats a fairly strong team on paper and you still have to fit turner in somewhere.I think our starting team is strong but we lack strength in depth.who would you bring on to change a game?nobody really springs to mind.maybe gary curran but he's still young and is more of a midfielder than a striker.steve feeney may also come into contention but i don't think he'll be starting.

Rory H
07/02/2006, 12:04 PM
sounds about right

Redtop
07/02/2006, 2:03 PM
what about turner did any1 see him playin in any of the friendlies?

Red4Eva
07/02/2006, 3:30 PM
what about turner did any1 see him playin in any of the friendlies?

yep. he played in centre midfield for 1st half v st.catherine's. he's very very good from what i've seen. smaller than i thought he would be but still strong lookin. i wouldn't beother predicting the team yet cos der'll be a fair bit of action between now&feb22

sligoman
07/02/2006, 6:49 PM
der'll be a fair bit of action between now&feb22I fecking hope so cos our current strikeforce is not good enough to "go it alone" in the Premier:o.

Mayo Red
07/02/2006, 8:48 PM
so what do ye reckon the team will be come the start of the season.i think it will look something like this:
O Hara
Peers
Burns
McNamara
Foy
Raf
O Grady
Hughes
Faz
McT
Flannery

Thats a fairly strong team on paper and you still have to fit turner in somewhere.I think our starting team is strong but we lack strength in depth.who would you bring on to change a game?nobody really springs to mind.maybe gary curran but he's still young and is more of a midfielder than a striker.steve feeney may also come into contention but i don't think he'll be starting.

Hard to disagree with that selection, but we are very light up front for the Premier Division. We need to sign another quality striker to provide competition and I just have a niggling doubt about how Flannery is going to get on next season, I hope I'm wrong though! Sean has let a lot of attacking options go since last season and I hope he has a replacement lined up.

gustavo
07/02/2006, 10:21 PM
I have a niggling feeling that Raf will be out of the first team (at least on opening day) if we do sign Turner

sligoman
07/02/2006, 10:24 PM
I have a niggling feeling that Raf will be out of the first team (at least on opening day) if we do sign TurnerNo way, he couldn't do that. Especially after all the stuff he said about how Raf is full-time now and he was expecting big things from him this season etc.
I think our starting team is strong but we lack strength in depth.That's our biggest problem at the moment in my opinion. We have a starting eleven that's capable of surviving the Premier but if we get a few serious injuries, we have no real prospects able to come in as a replacement. Sean Connor definitely needs to sort this out before we kick-off the season next month.

gustavo
07/02/2006, 10:30 PM
well i dont think he will not play one of his new signings of course i do think that raf will play an important part over the course of the season but i think if turner does come then he will start the season on the pitch

sligoman
07/02/2006, 10:33 PM
What positions does Turner play in?

Red4Eva
08/02/2006, 2:00 PM
We need to sign another quality striker to provide competition and I just have a niggling doubt about how Flannery is going to get on next season, I hope I'm wrong though.

me&my brother were talkin bout flannery during the st.catherine's game sayin that if he had two bad games in a row his confidence could be f*cked and he'd go back to the flannery of the don days. 10 seconds later he picked up the ball bout 25 yards out, chipped up for himself & rifled it into the back of the net. have faith in him.

turner is known as a right back but i'd say he cud play there or anywhere in midfield

sligoman
08/02/2006, 2:23 PM
me&my brother were talkin bout flannery during the st.catherine's game sayin that if he had two bad games in a row his confidence could be f*cked and he'd go back to the flannery of the don days. 10 seconds later he picked up the ball bout 25 yards out, chipped up for himself & rifled it into the back of the net. have faith in him.In fairness, their's a big difference in playing against a junior side from Donegal and the likes of Cork, Derry and Shels every week. Flannery will rarely, if ever, get the time or space to rifle shots from 25yards in the Premier.

Red4Eva
08/02/2006, 2:28 PM
In fairness, their's a big difference in playing against a junior side from Donegal and the likes of Cork, Derry and Shels every week. Flannery will rarely, if ever, get the time or space to rifle shots from 25yards in the Premier.

i know ya obviously but i wouldn't wanna doubt any of the players until they've played a few games

feo123
08/02/2006, 4:11 PM
i'd have:
o hara
turner
burns
mcnamara
peers
raf
ogrady
hughes
faz
mctiernan
flannery

marktis
08/02/2006, 7:13 PM
In fairness, their's a big difference in playing against a junior side from Donegal and the likes of Cork, Derry and Shels every week. Flannery will rarely, if ever, get the time or space to rifle shots from 25yards in the Premier.

There is a difference but it is not that much, look at Malahide last season against us. We could easily have been knocked out down in Malahide in the replay.

red metal
08/02/2006, 7:20 PM
There is a difference but it is not that much, look at Malahide last season against us. We could easily have been knocked out down in Malahide in the replay.

SPOT ON BRO!

redrov2005
08/02/2006, 9:40 PM
Yeah. I have waited patiently,but i'm a bit concerned about the lack of depth to the squad. And has been pointed out you need a guy who'll take chances. I have great time for McT and Flannery,but i think that as a pairing they may find the going difficult in the Premier.

I'm surprised Sean hasn't placed a greater emphasis on strikers. He seems more concerned with getting left/right sided defenders who can also play in midfield. Anyway i'm not doubting Sean,but i am worried about up front.

sligoman
08/02/2006, 9:48 PM
There is a difference but it is not that much, look at Malahide last season against us. We could easily have been knocked out down in Malahide in the replay.Everyone can slip up the odd time. If we were playing a team of Malahide's calibre every week then I've no doubts that we'd win the league!

marktis
09/02/2006, 10:57 AM
Everyone can slip up the odd time. If we were playing a team of Malahide's calibre every week then I've no doubts that we'd win the league!

Hello, did we not play them twice (home and away) and fail to beat them in 180 mins? I was just saying that the standard in junior football (at the top end anyway) is very close to league of ireland.

It would be an interesting challenge to see if a league of ireland club could win the fai junior cup!

sligoman
09/02/2006, 11:02 AM
It would be an interesting challenge to see if a league of ireland club could win the fai junior cup!Not really. Of course they could and would.

sligoman
09/02/2006, 11:49 AM
look at it this way what players would you have taken out of their teams and put in ours ?I know I'd have only taken one anyway, man of the match, Wayne Griffen. That's about it!

marktis
09/02/2006, 5:12 PM
Not really. Of course they could and would.

Yeah sure good man yourself. Ignorance is bliss.

Have Rovers ever been beaten in the fai cup by non-league opposition?

sligoman
10/02/2006, 1:32 PM
Yeah sure good man yourself. Ignorance is bliss.

Have Rovers ever been beaten in the fai cup by non-league opposition?Yes, of course they have. I'm not been ignorant of the situation. The thing with cup games is that the underdog always goes into them with no pressure in the slightest, so it's a big help to them. My point is, that if Rovers were playing teams like Malahide every week, then we'd be way out in front in my opinion. Your opinion might be different, and that's fair enough!