PDA

View Full Version : Staunton

monutdfc
07/02/2006, 8:12 AM
Lucky for him he got the Ireland job, because he would have been sacked this morning!

OwlsFan
07/02/2006, 8:52 AM
Probably the opposite. He more than likely would have been given the caretaker manager's job.

Over the post
07/02/2006, 10:41 AM
Either way it seems that they couldn't go on without him.

Den Perry
07/02/2006, 10:49 AM
It just goes to show what a high c;ass manager delaney has put into the Irish Job now. He would have got the bullett this morning I reckon. Walsall must be laughing at the fact they got compensation for him

NeilMcD
07/02/2006, 10:51 AM
Dont think Merson been sacked has any relevance to Staunton getting the Ireland job.

Jerry The Saint
07/02/2006, 11:17 AM
Probably the opposite. He more than likely would have been given the caretaker manager's job.

I think this shows what an exceptional coaching talent Staunton is - as soon as he leaves the whole setup at Walsall falls apart! :eek:

To be honest, I don't think Merson getting fired would have had any effect on Staunton's position, seeing as he was primarily employed as a player there. He wasn't high up enough in the coaching staff (despite the press misreporting that he was the assistant manager) to either get the bullet alongside Merson or be in line to take over as caretaker.

thejollyrodger
07/02/2006, 11:33 AM
who knows, he may be kicked out by the end of the Euro 2008 campagin :D

Den Perry
07/02/2006, 3:12 PM
Dont think Merson been sacked has any relevance to Staunton getting the Ireland job.

Neil, you just love disagreeing whenever anybody throws anything that looks like criticism Staunton's way. You are a serious pain in the hole.

NeilMcD
07/02/2006, 3:19 PM
Thanks for the compliment there Den but I dont thing these forums are to be used for personal abuse but I will let the moderator to deal with that. To be honest I am very sceptical of the appointment of Staunton but he is there now and we should get behind him until we have ammunition to judge him on. I am not going to pre-judge him because of his role in Saipain, the fact he has a louth accent or that he played for Liverpool or any other silly reason which seems to be offered here time and time again.

But I will stand by my statement that I dont think the sacking of Merson has any relevance to Staunton getting the Ireland job.

Again thanks for the compliment.

Hither green
07/02/2006, 3:42 PM
Neil, you just love disagreeing whenever anybody throws anything that looks like criticism Staunton's way. You are a serious pain in the hole.

Yes Neil! Den didn't mention the "ole ole brigade" or anything :)

The Legend
07/02/2006, 5:59 PM
I don't think there's any point in bashing Staunton anymore...
Just wait and see how he does....

CollegeTillIDie
08/02/2006, 7:44 AM
Staunton may well have seen the writing on the wall for Merson at Walsall. And this might have prompted him to look for other jobs... in which case he has vision and is also tactful in the extreme. After all losing your assistant manager to the head coach position for his country is not exactly insulting now is it?;)