PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy re-opens international door/Harte stays on

sligoman
05/02/2006, 5:53 PM
Winger Mark Kennedy has revealed the highlight of his career was playing for his country and refused to rule out a possible comeback in the future.

Kennedy has not featured in an Irish team since 2000 and feared his international career was over after a fall out with former manager Brian Kerr. However the recent appointment of Steve Staunton has raised his hope.

He said, “I played alongside Steve and he was always quiet but he commanded an enormous amount of respect in the Irish set up. A couple of times he took me to one side and put me right on a couple of things, I’m sure he’ll do an excellent job.”

Regarding his international future Kennedy said “It’s not something I think about but everybody wants to play for their country. I loved playing for my country, the highlight of my career was my debut for my country, without a doubt.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21028
-------------------------
Ian Harte has confirmed his availability for selection as Steve Staunton’s men begin preparations for the Euro 2008 qualifications.

The news comes as a boost to Staunton following the retirement of key players such as Roy Keane, Kenny Cunningham, Steve Carr and Matt Holland. Harte had been left out in the cold for much of former manager Brian Kerr’s reign and is keen to make up for lost time.

The former Leeds full back said “I’d jump at the chance of wearing the green shirt of Ireland again. International football still means a lot to me and I’ll jump at any chance I get of wearing an international shirt in the build up to the next Euro Championships.”

Harte realises that Staunton needs as much experienced players around him as possible and said, “With some senior players leaving and a new manager coming in, it’s a very important time in the rebuilding of the squad and I’d love to be part of it.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=21029

Donal81
05/02/2006, 6:18 PM
What was Kennedy's fall out with Kerr about?

pete
05/02/2006, 6:38 PM

Kerr probably told him he was not good enough & he disagreed. Kennedy wasn't good enough 4 years ago so hes hardly improved in the 2nd tier of english football. Would be fine if he was 22-23 developing...

No thanks.

gustavo
05/02/2006, 8:57 PM
i wouldnt quite rule him out yet pete

Stuttgart88
06/02/2006, 7:30 AM
I'd have him back in the squad. He's only 29, more mature & still has a great delivery.

as_i_say
06/02/2006, 7:59 AM
nah. he's a lower tier player and always has been. unless we lose duff, reid, alan mahon, mcgeady, steven reid, and kilbane then maybe-otherwise on your bike mark.

eirebhoy
06/02/2006, 8:44 AM
He's not exactly a fans favourite at Wolves. He's almost 30 and I'd have Finnan and Harte ahead of him for left back.

OwlsFan
06/02/2006, 1:54 PM
Ah, remember Kennedy's screamer against Yugoslavia.

Just don't park your car any where near the vicinity of Croker if he's playing :D ;)

dr_peepee
06/02/2006, 9:23 PM
Has he ever played regularly at left full for wolves??

noby
07/02/2006, 7:31 AM
Interview with him in the Times a few weeks ago.
He pulled out of the 2002 WC, because he wasn't 100% fit. He was called up for one of Kerr's first friendlies, but asked not to be considered as he was just about to make his come back. Never got a phone call from Kerr again, until just before the 2004 summer tournament, but told Kerr he already had his holiday booked.
I don't watch any championship football, but from reports, he's playing well both on the left and in central midfield, and captaining when Ince is out. I wouldn't like to see anyone ruled out, and Kennedy may have something to offer.

The Legend
07/02/2006, 8:47 PM
Kennedy's time is over... off the list since that incident with Babb......

sligoman
11/02/2006, 11:30 PM
Kennedy scored for Wolves today

Slash/ED
11/02/2006, 11:47 PM
Must we have the Kennedy for Ireland stuff every time he's playing well in the first division (directly as a result of another failure to impress at a higher level yet again?), there should be many ahead of him in the pecking order.

pete
12/02/2006, 5:29 PM
Must we have the Kennedy for Ireland stuff every time he's playing well in the first division (directly as a result of another failure to impress at a higher level yet again?), there should be many ahead of him in the pecking order.

Exactly. The young players may not be able to hack it at international level but we don't know that yet. We know enough about Kennedy already.

Stuttgart88
13/02/2006, 8:05 AM
there should be many ahead of him in the pecking order.
I can't think of that many really. On the left we have Duff, Reid & Kilbane.

youngirish
13/02/2006, 1:28 PM
I can't think of that many really. On the left we have Duff, Reid & Kilbane.
On the left I'd play Duff, A Reid, McGeady and Kilbane all ahead of him. He was never much use for Ireland.

On the right I'd play A Reid or S Reid instead of him (or even stick Joey O'Brien there instead of at full back)

Stuttgart88
13/02/2006, 1:39 PM
McGeady of course.