PDA

View Full Version : "The Packie McGowan Stand"

The Stars
02/02/2006, 5:12 PM
Since the passing of Rovers legend Packie I've been thinking what would be a nice way the ensure his name is never forgoten.
The "new Stand" as far as I know is still without a proper name so how about calling it after the great man himself.

1 9 2 8
02/02/2006, 5:24 PM
There will be the Packie McGowan trophy next season

The Stars
02/02/2006, 5:25 PM
A trophy for what?

1 9 2 8
02/02/2006, 5:29 PM
Hasn't being decided yet I'd say it there will be some type of tournament or something

The Stars
02/02/2006, 5:32 PM
I think naming a stand after someone is better than making up a tournament and calling that after him.Personal choice I suppose.

1 9 2 8
02/02/2006, 5:36 PM
Well I’d prefer the main stand to be named after a Rovers legend like Packie then some corporate sponsor

feo123
02/02/2006, 6:35 PM
Good idea! naming the stand after him is better than naming a small tournament after him!!

gustavo
02/02/2006, 6:37 PM
Fine idea. Hope there will be a permenant memorial for Mark Brindley too.

red metal
02/02/2006, 9:08 PM
No offence to Packie! But what about LEGENDS like Jonny Armstrong?

Rory H
03/02/2006, 10:20 AM

both have contributed the same.....off the field is just as important as on the field

a petition may be started by the end of the morning

Rory H
03/02/2006, 10:52 AM
10 mins on time:)

http://bitored.boardsxp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1619#1619

thats should work....its about 10posts down

roversforever
03/02/2006, 11:17 AM
i agree.if your'e naming it after somebody it has to be a former player/manager.

Redtop
03/02/2006, 8:22 PM
it would be nice to name the stand or something after him..

red metal
06/02/2006, 6:44 PM
it would be nice to name the stand or something after him..

Lads iv been thinking about this for the last few days!And i think the new stand should be named after the first company.That offers Sligo Rovers the biggest offer to sponsor it

gustavo
06/02/2006, 6:49 PM
i suppose you are right really red metal i think thats what packie probably would have wanted seeing as he dedicated a large part of his life trying to improve rovers' finances. still though he does deserve some form of official recognition and i am sure he will get it

red metal
07/02/2006, 6:43 PM
For sure he does he was a great servent to Sligo Rovers football club!But im sure packie would like to see Rovers!With a big fat bank balance!After all thats what the great man was working towards!

akearins
08/02/2006, 2:24 PM
Instead of the stand why not name the new all weather pitch after Packie.
Apart from the opvoius reasons we all remember packie for hs trojan effort at weekends selling the lottery, covering the town in all conditions.Well the lottery was initially set up to support development and now we have a state if the art all weather pitch which the naming of iafter Packie I think would be fitting honour to him.

Just a personal opinion

Redzer
08/02/2006, 2:52 PM
I have been thinking about this also. The facts are that a lot of good and very players, supporters, management committee etc have passed on to their reward.

Last year we had Mark Brindley, the year before we had Dermot McCullough and this year we have Packie McGowan. As a consequence of life this will always be the case.

I do think Sligo Rovers should show some sort of permanent recognition to people of outstanding service to the club.
We don’t, and will never have enough stands, pitches etc to name after these people.

But, my suggestion would be to erect a plaque for each individual, on a wall in a section of the new stand, or even on the new perimeter wall. The plaques would be there for eternity. And we could sell the name of the stands and pitches etc to sponsors.

akearins
08/02/2006, 3:07 PM
True if the club erected a plague taht could be added to in time it would be for all the deceased supporters/players/committe members etc. who have assisted the club down the years.Sort of a roll of honour

MervilleUnited
08/02/2006, 5:40 PM
.Sort of a roll of honour

Thats it on the button, Alan:ball:

The Stars
08/02/2006, 6:58 PM
ya good call

1 9 2 8
08/02/2006, 7:12 PM
Yeah Redzers plan sounds the best their are to many SRFC legends just to pick one would be unfair to the rest of them

red_away
10/02/2006, 1:08 PM
I go to Watford FC every fortnight if possible and they have turned this exact issue into a nice little revenue stream, you can buy a wooden brick facade with the deceased supporters name on it and a message and it is put on the back wall of the stand where the supporter sat/stood and there is an area for names of people who served the club loyally. They have literally walls of them and they are very popular! So a golden brick for packie, mark etc and the rest to be purchased by fans.

feo123
11/02/2006, 7:57 PM
not a bad idea

SligoBrewer
11/02/2006, 8:26 PM
I go to Watford FC every fortnight if possible and they have turned this exact issue into a nice little revenue stream, you can buy a wooden brick facade with the deceased supporters name on it and a message and it is put on the back wall of the stand where the supporter sat/stood and there is an area for names of people who served the club loyally. They have literally walls of them and they are very popular! So a golden brick for packie, mark etc and the rest to be purchased by fans.

Best idea I've heard all year.... I'd name it Dixie Dean stand imo but im sure people will disagree:rolleyes:

Da Real Rover
12/02/2006, 8:17 PM
Tony Fagan stand, sligo to the core, gotta be Fago.

gustavo
12/02/2006, 9:40 PM
Best idea I've heard all year.... I'd name it Dixie Dean stand imo but im sure people will disagree:rolleyes:

I would disagree:)
Dixie Dean might have been the greatest player to ever play for Rovers but i dont think you could say he was Sligo Rovers greatest ever player, if you know what i mean.

feo123
13/02/2006, 11:22 AM
what????

sligoman
13/02/2006, 11:30 AM
I would disagree:)
Dixie Dean might have been the greatest player to ever play for Rovers but i dont think you could say he was Sligo Rovers greatest ever player, if you know what i mean.I agree with Gustavo on this one. Dean was the greatest player(ie. his reputation etc.) for us alright, but he didn't stay around long enough to become a Rovers great.

red_away
13/02/2006, 12:33 PM
I would put Fago at the top of the list but would have Harry McLaughlin as a close second!!!

Harry was joy to watch!