PDA

View Full Version : Moving from the Showgrounds?

shedhead
01/02/2006, 6:59 PM
Just saw something on the news last night about Athlone towns new stadium and moving from st.mels. Just wondering if it had to come to it would you like to sell the showgrounds and get a good few million (Guessing at least €6million) to move to an out of town site with a 10,000 all seater. Just wondering whats your views on it.

Patrick Dunne
01/02/2006, 7:04 PM
could fetch far more than E6m. E20m is the price quoted by the Clare GAA for Cusack Park, a smaller site (I think) in a smaller town. Galwegians RFC were selling their ground in Galway for approx E10m. Its much smaller than the Showgrounds and much further away from the city centre.

E20m is conservative. Would depend on planning permission.

sligoman
01/02/2006, 7:07 PM
Definitely get more than E6million for it anyway. Sure it's right in the town like. As for selling it, no, I wouldn't want us to.

1 9 2 8
01/02/2006, 7:32 PM
1.No. As a supporter I'd never let the Showgrounds be sold
2. It can never be sold. It is unique compared to other el stadiums

it was then purchased for Sligo Rovers F.C. by a trust foundation representing the people of Sligo. Under the terms of the purchase it can never be mortgaged, sold or use for any commercial purposes other the sport and leisure.

But on the value of the Showgrounds didn't a smaller site at the new roundabout on the dual carriageway only a stones throw from the Showgrounds go for something like €14m so what the GU fan said €20m+

feo123
01/02/2006, 9:09 PM
NO WAY!! The showgrounds is class! all that needs to be done is to do up the entrance! one great stand, another very good one!

Mr A
01/02/2006, 9:12 PM
2. It can never be sold. It is unique compared to other el stadiums

Quote:
it was then purchased for Sligo Rovers F.C. by a trust foundation representing the people of Sligo. Under the terms of the purchase it can never be mortgaged, sold or use for any commercial purposes other the sport and leisure.

Finn Park is owned on exactly the same basis by trustees for the people of the twin towns. However, the Showgrounds could be sold and the new ground then passed into their ownership, that's how our ground move is working. With licensing requirements going up every year and money tight more and more clubs are looking at moving to new grounds.

Shiba
01/02/2006, 9:38 PM
If the league takes off in the way the Fai expects from a pure Fiancial point of veiw I think it would allows to compete and maybe progress in europe where the Fiancial gain would be brillant for the club.Worth excess of 20m easy.

Shiba
01/02/2006, 9:39 PM
If the league takes off in the way the Fai expects from a pure Fiancial point of veiw I think it would allows to compete and maybe progress in europe where the Fiancial gain would be brillant for the club.Worth excess of 20m easy.
Financial!

feo123
01/02/2006, 10:02 PM
we might get 20million....but how much would it cost for a new ground?
BTW when are athlone moving to their new ground?

Mr A
02/02/2006, 9:24 AM
Athlone plan to be in residence this August.

The Stars
02/02/2006, 12:21 PM
if we were to build a new stadium in or near town it would probably cost more than the money we would would get for the showgrounds.

marktis
02/02/2006, 3:29 PM
I think that it would be a crazy move, look at the example of Cork City when they tried to move to the outskirts of cork city (bishopstown). The ground turned out to be very unsuitable for football, fans were not interested in travelling out to the games and they ended up on the brink of going out of business.

Rovers shoudl stay in town with the excellent location and look at modernising the showgrounds into a world class sporting facility.

SRFC Head
02/02/2006, 3:43 PM
Yeah we have a fine space to work with in the showgrounds work on consoladating the team in the Prem and in time improve the facilities in the showgrounds.

Wish I could win the Euro millions, the showgronds would get a lovely overhaul...

Redtop
02/02/2006, 4:57 PM
if i ever win it i'll invest in the club:D :D back to the point id never want to see us leave the showgrounds

red metal
02/02/2006, 9:17 PM
I dont think the showgrounds can ever be sold! Plus i dont think Sligo Rovers even own it.Im not sure of the full story but i think.It has something to do with farmer,s having fairs and all that stuff! An old guy told me this a few years back in Sonny Bree,s one night!

Rory H
03/02/2006, 11:00 AM
I dont think the showgrounds can ever be sold! Plus i dont think Sligo Rovers even own it.Im not sure of the full story but i think.It has something to do with farmer,s having fairs and all that stuff! An old guy told me this a few years back in Sonny Bree,s one night!

and if you cant trust some old drunk in a dark sh1tty old pub who can you trust!!!:D

monkey magic
04/02/2006, 5:16 PM
lads yed be mad to leave the showgrounds... its a good location, with decent facilities and with plenty of room for expansion in walking distance of the pubs..
im begining to think that longfords problems with attendances has a lot to do with the fact that the ground is bout a mile outside the town, away from everything, and is probably one of the coldest places in the country.. you cant underestimate the significance the showgrounds has for yer club in terms of history etc..

thejollyrodger
04/02/2006, 6:21 PM
I thought the GAA were getting a 46,000 seater stadium on the edge of town in exchange for Cusack Park

The Stars
04/02/2006, 7:04 PM
I thought the GAA were getting a 46,000 seater stadium on the edge of town in exchange for Cusack Park
what are you on about?Cusack Park?

SligoBrewer
04/02/2006, 9:31 PM
not a hope.

the showgrounds is unique