PDA

View Full Version : Kerr speaks at fringe FARE meeting.

HarpoJoyce
01/02/2006, 3:58 PM
Ex-Manager Kerr speaks of his experiences on eve of Football Against Rascism in Europe (FARE)
event.

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/Keytopics/kind=2/newsId=390931.html

Karlos
01/02/2006, 4:04 PM
very interesting piece on a subject that's dear to my heart. Read an very interesting article on Garth Crooks invlovment in the same conference the other day (i'll try and dig it out). It's a bigger problem in Ireland than many will care to admit.:o

Fair play to both of them and I hope they keep up the good work.:)

HarpoJoyce
01/02/2006, 4:15 PM
It's a bigger problem in Ireland than many will care to admit.:o

I agree KarlosIRL and there's a tendancy 'to bury the head in the sand' about it too. A club over here was fined for Racist behaviour on the last day of the season. Their fans make light of it and I'm not sure what changes are going to take place, within that club, to change the mindset.

Karlos
01/02/2006, 4:25 PM
I agree KarlosIRL and there's a tendancy 'to bury the head in the sand' about it too. A club over here was fined for Racist behaviour on the last day of the season. Their fans make light of it and I'm not sure what changes are going to take place, within that club, to change the mindset.

I hear you. I've encountered it many times in Ireland and at all levels of the game - from coaches/parents making jokes about non-national kids playing ball on a saturday morning right up to the racist remarks I've heard made about Clinton Morrisson & opposition players such as Jimmy F. Hasselbaink back in 2001.

I've mentioned before on foot.ie that i have in the past reported seat numbers of people at Lansdowne Road shouting racist abuse on 3 occassions (2 of which I know for certain that action was taken under despite the stewards refusing to take action at the time, which could be a separate rant altogether!! :o ).

As you said above, often it's laughed off or brushed aside and never dealt with. If Kerr can help heighten the awareness and encourage people to not stand for it then that will be a great help. Clubs & their members should be forced to put together a strict discrimination policy and be made accountable when actions aren't taken to alleviate it.

CollegeTillIDie
02/02/2006, 7:10 AM
The American's have a crime in their statute books called " Un-American activities" which covers treason amongst other things.
Maybe we should have a crime of " Un-Irish activities" and have it cover stuff like mugging tourists and shouting racist abuse at soccer matches. Because let's face it that latter activity is borrowed lock stock and barrel from other countries aping what they see/hear on telly.

twoenz
04/02/2006, 8:47 PM
Seen Kerr involved in this on Football Focus today and was wondering what he was doing at it.

HarpoJoyce
08/02/2006, 1:10 PM
Seen Kerr involved in this on Football Focus today and was wondering what he was doing at it.

Do you have your answer, or are you still wondering?

CollegeTillIDie
10/02/2006, 8:51 AM

Brian introduced Curtis Fleming and Paul Osam into EL football.
At Underage international level Liam George.
I think Brian's track record picking people on merit when eligible is sound out.