PDA

View Full Version : Staunton calls for Croke friendly From BBC

NeilMcD
01/02/2006, 3:07 PM
Staunton calls for Croke friendly

Stephen Staunton would like a friendly at Croke Park
Republic of Ireland boss Steve Staunton is concerned that their first match at Croke Park could be a competitive European Championship qualifier.
The Republic are due to play home games at the Dublin GAA venue in 2007 while Lansdowne Road is being redeveloped.

"I would like to play a friendly game at Croke beforehand, but I am not sure if that will happen," Staunton told BBC2's Season Ticket programme.

"It is important we get some good training sessions on it."

Staunton said he hoped the 80,000 capacity staduim would prove intimidating for their Group D opponents, who include Germany and the Czech Republic.

"The opposition will feel the effects of what Croke Park is all about," he added.

"It is a tremendous venue as everybody knows about from the gaelic.

"It will be an historic

OwlsFan
01/02/2006, 3:13 PM
Two hopes: Bob Hope and no hope.

paul_oshea
01/02/2006, 3:38 PM
here paste it all...

do you think that it would be better that a competetive match is the first match though in terms of atmosphere etc.

OwlsFan
01/02/2006, 4:25 PM
What he says is correct. Obviously it would be nice to get a friendly in at Croker in advance of a competitive game but there is absolutely no hope of the GAA giving way on that.

gspain
01/02/2006, 4:33 PM
My take is

We play San Marino first

1) Guaranteed 3 points

2) Guaranteed total sellout.

3) Players now sued to the venue.

Otherwise w eend up playing Wales and could end up losing/drawing

sligoman
01/02/2006, 4:37 PM
"It will be an historicHe didn't finish his sentence then no?:confused:

paul_oshea
01/02/2006, 4:41 PM
gspain i think i agree with ye.

jbyrne
01/02/2006, 5:19 PM
My take is

We play San Marino first

1) Guaranteed 3 points

my guess would be we'll play san marino and cyprus at home in lansdowne in the autumn. they will not necessarily pack croke park but will fill lansdowne. the bigger games against the other countrys will be saved for croke pk next year.

cant see croke park staging a friendly.

Metrostars
01/02/2006, 5:49 PM
He didn't finish his sentence then no?:confused:

...occasion which everybody is looking forward to."

Dassa
01/02/2006, 8:48 PM
why would this first go to BBC instead of RTE does the FAI have a problem with your network across the border or something. sorry if missed something just seems strange.

soccerc
01/02/2006, 9:31 PM
My take is that we will play Wales at Lansdowne in one of the first games this autumn

Troy.McClure
01/02/2006, 9:56 PM
Why should it be, sure weren't City winning the league that day :)

Den Perry
02/02/2006, 7:40 AM
Did anybody see Staunton and Lawrie Sanchez on BBC 1 Last night?

Staunton comes across like he hasn't got a f****** ing clue

klein4
02/02/2006, 8:00 AM
what was he sayin?

Drogstar
02/02/2006, 8:01 AM
If there was a friendly it would be shown only on sky sports, i sense sky might be trying to show the first soccer game played in croke park, it would be a hell of a coup.

Stuttgart88
02/02/2006, 8:05 AM
Here's what John Toshack is planning for Wales' pre-qualifying friendlies & how he's intending to blood as many youngsters as possible.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1700129,00.html

Den Perry
02/02/2006, 8:28 AM
what was he sayin?

Din't catch the whole interview, but the subject of Robert the Bruce came up etc. The Staunton went on about how they (As in him and the senior mgment) woud be keeping a close on eye on the u17 and u19 teams and gave the impression that these lads were going to under serious consideration .....Now its great to have good underage teams, but if he intends picking any of these youngsters (which is what it sounded like) then God help us.

The interviewr also went on about the Granny Rule and Staunton played along with him. Woldn't you think he would say "Hold on, lets stop calling it the Granny rule......"
But i suppose he made a rod for is own back with that one....

klein4
02/02/2006, 8:34 AM
yeah I wish he had not said that about the granny rule. it plays up to all them english stereotypes about us bein the england b team and all that. its embarrassing. he should of kept it to himself and just pursued players on the qt if he had to. yeah they would have to be really good to be thrown in at 16 or 17. like maradonna and pele good.

Jerry The Saint
02/02/2006, 8:56 AM
I know Sanchez has more experience at this sort of thing (well more than zero experience anyway:) ) but he sounded a lot more principled. He doesn't want anyone who isn't committed and if a player has to hesitate making the decision then he doesn't want them. He said he mostly lost interest in Alex the Bruce when he turned down the chance to play for the U-21s and that Bruce would have a much better chance of playing for NI than ROI but he wasn't going to beg him.

Staunton agreed with Sanchez on the commitment thing but it looked very much like an afterthought because he didn't say this upfront. The implication of all this "Granny Rule" talk is that ROI will gladly take any player whether or not they want to play for us...

The interviewer spent most of the time trying to get Lawrie and Staunton to agree to a friendly game in the summer, long after it had been dismissed by both.:rolleyes:

Dodge
02/02/2006, 9:02 AM
why would this first go to BBC instead of RTE does the FAI have a problem with your network across the border or something. sorry if missed something just seems strange.
He was appearing on a BBC NI programme. It wasn't just a general interview and the snippet above was released before the TV show aired.

Stories appear quicker on the BBC because their newsgathering operation is of a far higher standard than RTE's.
Take for example the day Roy Keane left Man Utd . . . not so much as a story on RTE's website for several hours and when it did pop up, it wasn't even a main story!
See above. Plus its hardly earth shattering news...

NY Hoop
02/02/2006, 11:06 AM
Croke Park is only for competitive fixtures.

KOH

Dassa
02/02/2006, 11:08 AM
He was appearing on a BBC NI programme. It wasn't just a general interview and the snippet above was released before the TV show aired.

No bother just thought it was weird but if he was on the programme fair enough. terrible programme to watch by the way see how quickly we can put the IL goals on but at the minute still better than nothing suppose.

mountie
02/02/2006, 3:12 PM
How about an Eircom league selection versus the international squad? It would give Staunton a look at some home based players while giving the national squad a feel for Croker. I also think you would get a great crowd for the match and the GAA get an extra few Euros.:eek:

NeilMcD
02/02/2006, 3:14 PM
I think thats a good idea but I am not sure you would get a great crowd for it. Not sure though its pure guess work when talking about crowds. How many people do you reckon they would get for it.

Dassa
02/02/2006, 3:28 PM
bit of talk up here from sanchez and Healy about their desire for a friendly, If your going to set history with the 1st football game at croke park it might aswell be an all Island affair. And personally I would love to see croke park in all its glory.

colster
02/02/2006, 3:33 PM
Croke Park is only for competitive fixtures.

KOH

I don't think that's correct. I think they can play friendlies there too.

paul_oshea
02/02/2006, 3:43 PM
bit of talk up here from sanchez and Healy about their desire for a friendly, If your going to set history with the 1st football game at croke park it might aswell be an all Island affair. And personally I would love to see croke park in all its glory.

well said that man, very good point dassa. but i cant see the gaa allowing it because of certain factions of the northern ireland support that may come down and 'disrupt' proceedings. :(

Dassa
02/02/2006, 4:06 PM
Im sure the ROI would get their hangers on as well but surely its getting better for both sets of fans and if policed properly would be a great day for both teams.

Emmet
05/02/2006, 7:08 PM
My take is

We play San Marino first

1) Guaranteed 3 points

I think it would be great to get a friendly in at croker before any competitive matches simply because it will be a massive event and the media will (understandably) really build it up ... I can't for the life of me see the GAA allowing that to happen though so I think that GSpain is right - we need to hope that it is one of the 'lesser' teams we play there first

CollegeTillIDie
08/02/2006, 7:29 AM
Why should it be, sure weren't City winning the league that day :)

Post of the Year ... well said !:D

CollegeTillIDie
08/02/2006, 7:31 AM
A home game against Norn Iron would be the ideal "friendly" to be played in Croke Park however I don't see the GAA agreeing to it.
They are going to make the venue available for the least number of games possible that implies Competitive games.