PDA

View Full Version : Keane-what is he upto?

Pablo
22/05/2002, 12:31 PM
i have lost a lot of respect for the guy after this. He should be chomping at the bit to play for Ireland at the greatest tournament in the world, instead he has upset the team and thrown preparations into dissarray....

Not to mention poor Colin Healy. It makes me sick. They say he also told mick he was retiring from international football aswell.

I'd nearly be inclined to drop him after that. its not the first time he has shown he isnt commited to the cause either.

I may be harsh and maybe there is more to the situation than meet the eye but its a real sickener

Pablo
22/05/2002, 12:58 PM
KEANE NEARLY MISSED FIFA DEADLINE

Wednesday May 22 2002

Fifa have confirmed that the Republic of Ireland had beaten the deadline to include Roy Keane in their World Cup squad - but only just.

Keane sent shockwaves through the Irish camp when he told manager Mick McCarthy that he wanted to go home, citing personal problems and worries about his troublesome knee as the reasons.

That prompted McCarthy to telephone Celtic youngster Colin Healy before faxing a revised 23-man squad to Fifa with his name in place of Keane's.

But world football's governing body have confirmed that a dramatic change of heart from Keane brought about another list from the Irish camp which arrived just before the deadline.

"It's the name of Roy Keane which is on the list," said Fifa press officer Keith Cooper.

"They had had Roy Keane initially, then they changed it to Colin Healy and then they came back again with Roy Keane just before the deadline.

"So that's no longer an issue for us at all. The only thing that interests us is the names that are there at the end and that's now been cleared up."

MikeW
22/05/2002, 1:29 PM
He obviously doesn't attach much importance to international football. Sure he gives 100% while he's on the pitch, but off it I get the impression he doesn't care too much. Its all about Man Utd for him, he never seems to mess them about the way he does Ireland. I thought he was going to retire from international football after the World Cup, now I'm convinced he will. if he's willing to give up on playing in the WC after a few days of training why would he continue?

Personally, i can't believe his petulance and arrogance. He's in such a privileged position that most other footballers would give their right arm for yet he doesn't seem to care about it. I don't care how good he is, thats irrelevant, nobody should be allowed carry on the way he has, it was such a selfish thing to do, knowing the disruption it would cause to the sqauds morale. By the way, i don't believe there's anything in this "personal matter" thing, its just the usual bit of spin thrown out after such incidents. This is all about Roy Keanes ego, thats a personal opinion feel free to disagree, but remember no matter how good he is it still doesn't give him the right to think everything revolves around him.

pete
22/05/2002, 2:00 PM
While I wouldn't dismise the reported events involving Roy I think this is being blown out of all proportion. There feck all stories so this the only one the media have to latch onto.

Hopefully Roy is just feeling the pressure of the upcoming WC & its already been reported as not the most personable person in the squad.

Like it or not the squad might as well go home now without Roy Keane however no matter how important a player Mick would have to remove him if he not giving 100% as the discontent would spread to the rest of the squad.

Roy may have been accused of not giving his all for Ireland in the past but I don't think anyone could dispute he been by far our best & most comitted player in the qualifiers.

p.s. anyone know when the last competitive match Ireland lost with Roy Keane on the field?

Pablo
22/05/2002, 2:16 PM
Originally posted by pete
While I wouldn't dismise the reported events involving Roy I think this is being blown out of all proportion.

To be fair, its a huge story Pete? Our captain, national hero, and perhaps our only world class player asked to leave the WC squad....

It proves his heart isnt quite in it. Do you think any one of the other players has even had that kind of a thought enter their minds? i dont think so. I just hope he tries and make up for it now on the field

James
22/05/2002, 2:35 PM
i think he's got cabin fever

pete
22/05/2002, 3:48 PM
I think its just an english conspiracy through their "Irish" Sun, Mirror etc.... to deflect attention from a poor performance against korea & barely a fit midfielder in their squad.

We should be careful not to become as fickle as the english - remember they close to linching Beckham less than 4 years ago & now he their hero.

(off topic)
btw is Eriksson mad to include all those injuried midfielders?

Pablo
22/05/2002, 3:58 PM
The English are having a field day alright:

Big girl's blouse Keane: "I'll take ball home"

Keane quits World Cup...for a couple of hours

Ireland's one-man-team today sensationally quit the squad - then swiftly changed his mind when he realised he might not get a game. Incredibly, it seems Keano was upset when asked to take a turn in goal in a 5-a-side match. Doesn’t Packie Bonner know this bloke is a superstar?

See here (http://wc2002.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=1594)

A face
22/05/2002, 4:55 PM
And the papers that morning gave no one the slightest chance,

They said the English would lead everyone on a merry dance,

Do you remember those English fans, with their union jacks for victory they were set.

But they didn't even get to the second round 'cos they got beaten three times and had to crawl home whimpering ....

Diddle di di idle idle .... idle idle doo

** Skippin' and dancing in the street ** .... WWWhhohoooo !!!

H'up me bouy's ..... go on ya good thing ya :D :D

niamh
22/05/2002, 5:10 PM
Keane has always been a doubt for me in this World Cup. His head has not been right for Ireland or for United in the past few months. He played rubbish against Nigeria and he is carrying a serious injury. The person I feel for is Colin Healy. I'd prefer to have 11 on the pitch who want to be there.

There is no doubt that Keano will give his all if he plays but in his state of mind, his all isn't much.

gwanyagoodting
22/05/2002, 7:29 PM
Does nobody else buy the official report that it was down to an injury? There's no doubt that a story like this sells papers.

Keano will win over all you sceptics and prove that he is willing to die for that green shirt, while he shows the rest of the world just how good a player he is.

Trust me.

Ruairi
23/05/2002, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by James
i think he's got cabin fever

Brilliant

A face
23/05/2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Ruairi

Brilliant

I second that .... Nice one James Bouy :D :D

Éanna
23/05/2002, 2:33 PM
Keane's a great player, but he's behaving like a spoiled contemptible little brat. Of course I'd love him to lead Ireland out at the world cup, but McCarthy was dead right to do what he did. One man does not make a team- he can't have the whole country act on his whims.
ROY-P!SS OFF AND GROW UP!:mad:

Colm
23/05/2002, 2:37 PM
I disagree, he should as team captain be allowed to speak out if he feels that he or the rest of the players are being treated badly or unfairly.
Im absolutley disgusted with this decision, its a DISGRACE that Roy has been sent home.

Éanna
23/05/2002, 2:45 PM
Originally posted by COLM
I disagree, he should as team captain be allowed to speak out if he feels that he or the rest of the players are being treated badly or unfairly.
Im absolutley disgusted with this decision, its a DISGRACE that Roy has been sent home.
I've no problem with him complaining or giving out, but threatening to walk out etc., was totally childish. Like I said, I'm no big fan of Mccarthy, but how do you think mick felt when keane said
(Ferguson) had been on. He was on holidays but he'd seen the news. I had a good chat with him. He's someone I respect..In football, he's the only person I would listen to. . Personally, I would have been disgusted if I was mick, and i don't blame him for it AT ALL

Wizzard
23/05/2002, 3:04 PM
The last time that Roy was supposed to have behaved badly, the FAI were sitting in the first class seats. Now the players fly first class, thanks to Mr Keane behaving badly. He is the team captain and unlike McCarthy he isn't employed by the FAI. He just doesn't accept second class treatment.

Colm
23/05/2002, 3:07 PM
I agree, as far as I can see Keane is being punished for speking out against the FAI's hypocrisey.

Pablo
23/05/2002, 3:08 PM
yeah but he went too far. what he said to his team manager is unbeliveable..........

patsh
23/05/2002, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
yeah but he went too far. what he said to his team manager is unbeliveable..........
What did he say? Do you know, Pablo?
Poor old Mick, somebody said a bad word to him, boo hoo hoo....

gwanyagoodting
23/05/2002, 4:00 PM
Why is Keane being portrayed as selfish? All he was trying to do is use his influence as captain to try and reform the amateur FAI, so that THE WHOLE TEAM, and those in the future, are treated like they should be treated. Keane has been punished for speaking out against something that he believes to be wrong.

However, I am disgusted that the international career of an icon and a legend has ended over such a seemingly petty matter. Even worse, whether he was right to go or not, he has lost a massive amount of fans in this country over the past few days. This was his big chance to show everybody else what we've known for ages- he's amoung the greats.

Pablo
23/05/2002, 4:04 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

What did he say? Do you know, Pablo?
Poor old Mick, somebody said a bad word to him, boo hoo hoo....

by all accounts the following is the jist of what was said at the players meeting this morning. No wonder the other players were disgusted. He had to be sent packing after this mouthful.

Keane to McCarthy- who the fcuk do you think you are having meetings about me
You were a crap player and you are a crap manager The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country and your not even Irish you English c@nt You can stick it up your ass

defend that

Wizzard
23/05/2002, 4:17 PM

You were a crap player and you are a crap manager
defend that

If your manager wanted an argument with you at work, would he call a group meeting or have a one-to-one discussion with you. That's no way for a good manger to behave unless he was goading Keane into an outburst.

The Donie Forde
23/05/2002, 4:30 PM

by all accounts the following is the jist of what was said at the players meeting this morning. No wonder the other players were disgusted. He had to be sent packing after this mouthful.

Keane to McCarthy- who the fcuk do you think you are having meetings about me
You were a crap player and you are a crap manager The only reason I have any dealings with you is that somehow you are the manager of my country and your not even Irish you English c@nt You can stick it up your ass

defend that

...and the source for that would be...?

Having just got over the initial shock of losing his skipper, McCarthy would have been better advised to resolve the subsequent issues with him in private where they could have argued over stuff and sorted it out without an audience (the rest of the squad/whoever else was at the meeting). The priority here is to do well in the world cup, not to damage our hopes of that in front of the world. A little bit of savvy here could have gone a long, long way...

Meanwhile, Dervan and his ilk are busy fuelling stories to make headlines and exclusives... what a sad, sad situation. Who is in charge over there - can McCarthy/the FAI not keep a lid on something like this?

There's plenty of crap doing the rounds as well about Dunphy defending Keane just because he's writing his biography... will there be no 'Mick McCarthy's World Cup Diary' then? Will it be co-written by a well-known Irish journalist, Cathal Dervan perhaps...?

If McCarthy wanted Keane in Japan, Keane would still be there. If I was manager of ANY team facing into a major tournament, I'd be busting my butt to keep my best player sweet and happy. Now after the competition I might never pick him again! But that's making the most of what you've got at the most important time. You don't send your captain into exile before the battle begins; you might as well say to the opposition - hey, we got a problem here and we can't handle it at all!!!

If Keane was brutal against Cameroon, or the other players weren't giving him the ball, just whip him off after 25 mins and forget about him.

This is the most impressive own goal I've ever seen.

Donie

Pablo
23/05/2002, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde

This is the most impressive own goal I've ever seen.

Donie

i guess you were not at Cork City Versus Shamrock rovers at xmas so :)

The Donie Forde
23/05/2002, 4:49 PM

i guess you were not at Cork City Versus Shamrock rovers at xmas so :)

Yeah, I was and I've seen better than Benno's too. This tops the lot. In World Cup history I predict it will come to be known as the Hand of Plod (own) goal. Plod being the FAI...

Donie

Pauro 76
23/05/2002, 5:25 PM
Keane is a fool. Fair enough the FAI are idiots, look what they've done for the EL - feck all! But nothing seems to be good enough for Keane. FAI were pretty lacklustre in their organisation, but Keane has just about thrown away any shred of goodwill the Irish fans had towards him. i admire the guy, but Micks the manager, accept it. Roy got us here virtually singlehandedly, but hes totally acted like a spoilt brat since he landed in Japan. At least therell be a happier atmopshere without Keane, and itll spur the lads on to see what they can do without Keane.

The Legend
23/05/2002, 5:57 PM
So, who's going to step up for ireland now?

How are they going to play with any level heads after this scenario?

Pablo
23/05/2002, 7:09 PM
Originally posted by The Legend
So, who's going to step up for ireland now?

cometh the hour , cometh the man and all that :)

Colm
24/05/2002, 2:34 PM
Originally posted by Wizzard

If your manager wanted an argument with you at work, would he call a group meeting or have a one-to-one discussion with you. That's no way for a good manger to behave unless he was goading Keane into an outburst. Yeah, I think Mick knew Keane was about to explode and wanted the rest of the squad to witness his outburst.
Im a big fan of Micks but he got this one completly wrong and he should have handled the situation with more common sense.