PDA

View Full Version : Talking at Gigs

Pages : [1] 2

Gareth
31/01/2006, 10:10 AM
I was at a Bellx1 warmup gig on Sunday for "fans" only. I was disgusted by the levels of talking. I quickly recorded two samples of chatting at its worse. You will need to turn up your speakers. I have 20 minutes of this babbling over songs on video.

http://forum.thefulloctave.com/viewtopic.php?t=474

finlma
31/01/2006, 10:23 AM
It annoys the hell out of me too. Why do people bother going to gigs to talk? I was at Zero 7 in the Brixton Accadmey a couple of years back and ended up telling the people in front of me to shut-up so I could hear the gig.

Also at a Damian Rice gig in the same venue he ended up telling everyone to "Shut the fcuk up or get out"

Gareth
31/01/2006, 10:33 AM
I have Gig-rage. It slowly creeps up on me and once it takes hold, I am liable to tell anyone to shut the fcuk up. It just never registers with me how they can pay into a gig for to talk. Do they not realise that it completely ruins gigs????? Argh, rage building....:)

Lionel Ritchie
31/01/2006, 10:35 AM
It annoys the hell out of me too. Why do people bother going to gigs to talk? I was at Zero 7 in the Brixton Accadmey a couple of years back and ended up telling the people in front of me to shut-up so I could hear the gig.

Also at a Damian Rice gig in the same venue he ended up telling everyone to "Shut the fcuk up or get out"

Ironically in the culture we live in you and your mate are lucky ye weren't ejected for threatening behaviour.

I've never understood why it's not only acceptable but laudable to turn around to someone in a cinema and tell them to pipe down but if you do it at a gig you're an aggressive oddball.

Saw the proclaimers here in Limerick a while back and in fairness most of the crowd were there to hear one song. Now the reid brothers aren't the loudest band on earth (think that's still Manowar) and the place was like a chicken coop the whole way through the set. Very annoying.

anto1208
31/01/2006, 2:33 PM
the last giug i went to pixies in dublin , a guy and a girl talked all the way through to make it worse not once did they even look at the stage !!! ,

but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders normally i dont mind but she was so ugly i nearly got sick in the end i screamed at him to put that ugly thing down i paid to see bob dylan not her fat ugly buck tooth face .... may have gone a bit far but he did nt lift her up again .( he was wearing a THE ROCK tshirt so he deserved to get screamed at )

Marked Man
31/01/2006, 6:00 PM
b
but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders normally i dont mind but she was so ugly i nearly got sick in the end i screamed at him to put that ugly thing down i paid to see bob dylan not her fat ugly buck tooth face

I'm not a doctor; but it sounds to me as though you may possibly have issues.

Snoop Drog
31/01/2006, 9:46 PM
the last giug i went to pixies in dublin , a guy and a girl talked all the way through to make it worse not once did they even look at the stage !!! ,

but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders normally i dont mind but she was so ugly i nearly got sick in the end i screamed at him to put that ugly thing down i paid to see bob dylan not her fat ugly buck tooth face .... may have gone a bit far but he did nt lift her up again .( he was wearing a THE ROCK tshirt so he deserved to get screamed at )

My fave putdown is "I didn't pay good money to look at your arse all night, although under different circumstances I might":D

razor
01/02/2006, 8:05 AM
Shows nothing but a lack of respect, these people should be thrown out. Course if the music was loud enough it might drown them out.

anto1208
01/02/2006, 12:37 PM
I'm not a doctor; but it sounds to me as though you may possibly have issues.

but you dont understand how ugly she was , my stomach is turning just thinking about it and it was 2 years ago !!!! :D

it was bad enough she was let out in public but to then lift her up on display

Docboy
01/02/2006, 5:44 PM
If I go to a gig and feel like talking to my mate I will. Stand closer to the speakers if you're the sensitive sort.

Lionel Ritchie
02/02/2006, 9:32 AM
If I go to a gig and feel like talking to my mate I will. Stand closer to the speakers if you're the sensitive sort.

But Docboy -would you do that in a cinema? If not -then why do it during a performance at a gig?

klein4
02/02/2006, 9:55 AM
I kinda see it from both sides. it bugs the crap out of me if it is someone else but I have done it meself as well.sometimes you go to gigs with peopel u havent seen in ages and just end up havin a bit of craic with them. went to see glengarry glen ross in the olympia and people were late gettin to their seats so others were shushin them to such an extent that they were makin more noise than the latecomers.

Gareth
02/02/2006, 9:58 AM

Would you shout over the music at your mate and during quiet songs talk completely over the music? If so, why did you go to the gig? Its nothing to do with sensitivity. Its to do with paying to hear a band. Why buy a ticket if your just going to talk thru it?

Rover 2 U
02/02/2006, 10:36 AM
i am normally a very placid character, but i was on the verge of knocking a girl out a a recent frames gig in the point. she spent the entire gig telling everybody around her that she was the frames biggest fan, but never actually shut up for long enough to hear them. we were on the balcony at the time and i seriously considered sending her crowd surfing. damn but i'm in a rage just thinking about her.

hoops1
02/02/2006, 10:44 AM
Lets be honest its not really a gig if you can hear people talking
A real gig should be so loud that the only way to communicate with the person beside you is by sign language.Your ears should bleed and your head should pain after it and as for the so called quiet slow song type moments
thats the time to go to the bar!
At a real gig asking someone to be quiet should automatically lead to your front teeth being knocked out
I blame it all on pop idol!:)
if its to noisey for you buy the cd and sit in a dark room all day

Rover 2 U
02/02/2006, 10:47 AM
ah the youth of today. someday you'll be as old as the rest of us hoops1, and then you too will be looking forward to sitting down in a nice comfortable chair while the performer gentle entertains you, without the sound of some idiot clattering away in the background!

hoops1
02/02/2006, 10:52 AM
:d:d :d

klein4
02/02/2006, 11:10 AM
someday you'll be as old as the rest of us hoops1, and then you too will be looking forward to sitting down in a nice comfortable chair while the performer gentle entertains you,
you must be happy that stringfellows opened so!!:D

Rover 2 U
02/02/2006, 11:14 AM
oh yeah! very comfortable couches, plenty of entertainers and chatting is strictly forbidden! ;)

finlma
02/02/2006, 12:25 PM
A real gig should be so loud that the only way to communicate with the person beside you is by sign language.

Maybe if you're into death metal or other such rubbish music. Some songs are quiet hoops1 and if people are talking through the song it's very annoying.

Gareth
02/02/2006, 12:39 PM
A real gig should be so loud that the only way to communicate with the person beside you is by sign language.Your ears should bleed and your head should pain after it and as for the so called quiet slow song type moments
At a real gig asking someone to be quiet should automatically lead to your front teeth being knocked out

That post would contain more sense written backwards or then again if you
didn't write it at all. Its not about musical preference, its about enjoying what you paid to come and see. You clearly like your music loud. Don't know what age you are nor does it matter, but if you think gigs are about ear bleeds then so be it, we don't have to worry about you at quieter gigs, nor will you be going to any I suspect? At a real gig??? G0b****e :D

hoops1
02/02/2006, 1:11 PM
Your obviously used to the no noise/ atmosphere at Shels matches
Just let yourself go.Go on try singing at a gig or match its fun
trust me

REVIP
02/02/2006, 1:21 PM
but worst was at bob dylan this idiot young fella kept putting his bird up on his shoulders

Went to Dylan's Sunday night gig by getting tickets off eBay. I'm almost as old as Sir Hamish, so have long memories of Dylan.

Went out for a pee during the set (too many pints beforehand) and there were hundreds of people in their twenties standing around in the bar areas talking.

The set only lasted an hour and a half - so it's not as though they were out for a breather. Why buy tickets for a gig like that when you aren't even going to watch what's going on onstage? If you want to talk and have music in the background, you can do that in Tesco's!

klein4
02/02/2006, 1:23 PM
I thought it was a great irreverent post from hoops1. sums up what goin to gigs is about. enjoyin yourself. some "artists" take it way too seriously.I heard christy moore has turned his gigs into extended tantrums in an attempt to be taken "seriously". (altho different rules apply for dylan. noisy ****s!)

Gareth
02/02/2006, 1:31 PM
Your obviously used to the no noise/ atmosphere at Shels matches
Just let yourself go.Go on try singing at a gig or match its fun
trust me

At least you are original eh!! By the way we were talking about TALKING at a gig....

hamish
02/02/2006, 1:49 PM
Went to Dylan's Sunday night gig by getting tickets off eBay. I'm almost as old as Sir Hamish, so have long memories of Dylan.

Went out for a pee during the set (too many pints beforehand) and there were hundreds of people in their twenties standing around in the bar areas talking.

The set only lasted an hour and a half - so it's not as though they were out for a breather. Why buy tickets for a gig like that when you aren't even going to watch what's going on onstage? If you want to talk and have music in the background, you can do that in Tesco's!

Yeah, did the same at Bob Dylan too. First time I EVER did that during a gig - I was fairly disappointed by him this time TBH but maybe that's just me. Only went out for a drag for two songs and went back in again. There were loads talking and smoking outside the front of The Point even though it was biting cold. Had a good laugh with a few Corky Boys in fact.

BTW amigos, when I first started to go to gigs, no matter what type of music, my ears would be ringing for a while afterwards. I notice this does not happen now.

Do sound engineers have a new filtering system so that high frequencies are not hammered into people's heads nowadays???

and NO - I'm not deaf now in case anyone starts slagging.:p

Revip -you're only a young lad.:D

I thought it was a great irreverent post from hoops1. sums up what goin to gigs is about. enjoyin yourself. some "artists" take it way too seriously.I heard christy moore has turned his gigs into extended tantrums in an attempt to be taken "seriously". (altho different rules apply for dylan. noisy ****s!)

Yeah, I remember when he was with Planxty and he said, "We'll dedicate this song to the b.ollocks over there with the twelve inch mouth":D
TBF, I saw him solo as well and the amount of talking during his gigs completely overwhelmed him and he lost it then too. Steve Earl has another way.Whenever anyone calls out a song for him to play, he says something like, "I know what song I'll play next, it's my job man" but he doesn't come across as narky when he says it.

hamish
02/02/2006, 4:36 PM
Jaysus, it's happened again - that's another time two quotes I made ended up in the same post - is it happening automatically 'cos I haven't a clue how to do multiple quotes in a post.:confused: :confused:

paul_oshea
02/02/2006, 5:31 PM
all i can say is ye are going ot the wrong sort of gigs.

never ever have i come across it and even if i did i wouldnt hear it cos the music is too loud to only hear the music!

\m/

bad taste in music, you are gonig to have to put up with this where the guys playing cant keep the fans entertained and/or the music is too slow and crap and boring to keep people going.

\m/ again. nuff said. 'tallica boys would keep those muppets shut.

Marked Man
02/02/2006, 6:09 PM
i am normally a very placid character, but i was on the verge of knocking a girl out a a recent frames gig in the point. she spent the entire gig telling everybody around her that she was the frames biggest fan, but never actually shut up for long enough to hear them. we were on the balcony at the time and i seriously considered sending her crowd surfing. damn but i'm in a rage just thinking about her.

If she blocked out the Frames, you should be thanking her.

Drumcondra Red
02/02/2006, 7:31 PM
If I go to a gig and feel like talking to my mate I will.

Damn right Docboy!!!

anto1208
02/02/2006, 11:28 PM

stay at home and talk to your mate save your self 50 euro :D

i dont think people are complaining about people just chatting for a few mins but it when they talk all the way through and its worse at outdoor gigs because its not as loud .

fosterdollar
07/02/2006, 6:56 AM
First sensible point.

As for talking at a BELLX1 gig for 'real fans', i'm not surprised. You may be a real fan but there's so many bandwagonners, what with their recent success, that half of the crowd were probbaly just there so they could boast about it to their friends later.

I wouldn't resent the talking as much as the fact that some of these knob jobs are at the gig in the first place.

anto1208
07/02/2006, 10:02 AM
First sensible point.

As for talking at a BELLX1 gig for 'real fans', i'm not surprised. You may be a real fan but there's so many bandwagonners, what with their recent success, that half of the crowd were probbaly just there so they could boast about it to their friends later.

I wouldn't resent the talking as much as the fact that some of these knob jobs are at the gig in the first place.

going to a bellX1 gig is nothing to boast about , its like sayin gi went to see aslan ......:D

Gareth
07/02/2006, 11:14 AM
Ok seeing as the band in question seems to be an issue, the same has happened for Doves, Whipping Boy, Ed Harcourt, Elbow, Weezer in the last few gigs I was at. Its irrelevent the band, it just seems that large portions of irish giggers talk over bands. And the "its not a real gig if you can hear talkers" is a thick statement. I rate bands like Red House Painters and Sun Kil Moon, Tom McRae, Pony Club, American Music Club, Josh Ritter etc and 200 people talking would contribute to ruining any of their gigs. If your a metal fan or dance great, and if the gigs you go to are louder than a chorus of talkers then you are not really the target audience of this thread?

And Bellx1 are much better than Aslan. Much much better. Flock is a solid enough album.

anto1208
07/02/2006, 11:31 AM
ive told my mates to shut up again at the bob dylan gig in galway , he isnt a big fan so didnt know many of the songs bar the big hit s and kept talking i could see people around me getting ****ed off the only way to stop him was tellin ghim " ive paid 60 euro to listen to bob not you now shut the f*** up " worked a charm :D

anto1208
07/02/2006, 11:33 AM
And Bellx1 are much better than Aslan. Much much better. Flock is a solid enough album.

i knew the second i posted that some one would think i was comparing them im not , just saying going to a bell x1 gig isnt something id boast about

Lionel Ritchie
07/02/2006, 12:27 PM
all i can say is ye are going ot the wrong sort of gigs.

never ever have i come across it and even if i did i wouldnt hear it cos the music is too loud to only hear the music!

\m/

bad taste in music, you are gonig to have to put up with this where the guys playing cant keep the fans entertained and/or the music is too slow and crap and boring to keep people going.

\m/ again. nuff said. 'tallica boys would keep those muppets shut.

Actually they didn't. I'd the misfortune to end up behind a bunch of redneck, sunburned, drunken event junkies at the RDS show in 2004 and they spent half Metallicas set singing "whack for ma daddy oh" and "Ole Ole Ole". A pox on the cnuts. They hadn't a clue what 80 -90% of the material was.

You're either missing the point or are on the wind up Paul.;)

paul_oshea
07/02/2006, 12:32 PM
me winding up....never ;)

you must have been right at the back though Lionel, i was at the one the year before.

Gareth
07/02/2006, 2:58 PM
i knew the second i posted that some one would think i was comparing them im not , just saying going to a bell x1 gig isnt something id boast about

Not in the habit of boasting about going to gigs, but I have no shame in saying I was at a Bellx1 gig. Each to their own really Anto. Each to their own :)

anto1208
07/02/2006, 3:13 PM
Not in the habit of boasting about going to gigs, but I have no shame in saying I was at a Bellx1 gig. Each to their own really Anto. Each to their own :)

again i was nt having a go at them allthough i dont rate them , it was just the way it was posted about bragging about being at a bell X 1 gig to there friends .... it just the way it was say made me laugh:)

fosterdollar
07/02/2006, 3:47 PM
again i was nt having a go at them allthough i dont rate them , it was just the way it was posted about bragging about being at a bell X 1 gig to there friends .... it just the way it was say made me laugh:)

Whether it's funny or not is one thing but, as far as i can make out, that is the nature of half of bellx1's, the frames', damien rice's, paddy casey's, etc... fanbase (at concerts, at least). I can think of nothing worse than to have to endure the trite rubbish that i was exposed to at a Snow Patrol gig before. It's that combination of being an Irish, safe, easy-listening bunch of nice guys that convinces every middle ireland bird and bloke in their late teens and early twenties to become convinced they discovered the new dylan. At best those bands will only ever realistically be slightly above the average that their paltry peers set. Flock is an example of that best. And it doesn't set the world on fire - despite the ravings of the latest group of nerds to jump on their bandwagon.

Gareth
07/02/2006, 7:32 PM
5 english reviews ranging from BBC to Ch4 have praised Flock highly. Its being recieved very well actually.

James
07/02/2006, 11:39 PM
flock is a very good album and bellx1 have progressed alot album by album from the early juniper days right thorough from neither am i, to MiM to flock. while the albums are solid for me what distingusihs (sp!) bell x1 is the live show. ive seen them in the likes of debarra's and the lobby and other small venues right through to the vicar st/opera house / savoy / larger venue in ireland and abroad and including outdoor dublin castle and marley park type events and they have never failed to deliver.

for me personally thats what makes a band. the ability to perform live in front of ppl, and nit just in a studio where you can have multiple takes and mix and edit sounds as u like.. thats why i respect them and the likes of the frames so much

fosterdollar
08/02/2006, 2:51 PM
To Gareth and James, i fully take both your points. I don't want to sound like i'm getting on Bellx1 fans, or the band, in particular. They don't happen to be of my more favoured genres but, as i inferred above, i reckon they're putting out stuff better than that of their peers.

However, I do think that bands fitting the description i mentioned attract the kind of people who will be more interested in the scene than the band/music.

Gareth
08/02/2006, 3:13 PM
What is your genre so fosterdollar, cos I am widely spread across genres and go to all kinds of gigs.

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 3:15 PM
Fosterdollar that is the same with eveyr type of music, its the same with dance, grunge metail etc. You get people who are into the music and those that are into the scene. Its just in Ireland the Frames, Bell x 1 Damien Rice, Paddy Casey etc seems to be the most dominant or popular etc. However lots of non Irish people love ireland for its music scene and how its so small and you can get to see loads and loads of gigs. Its very easy to criticise music tastes or bands but at the end of the day its all to do with taste. Its not like Sport where it could be argued one team is better than the other.

Back to the point, people having loud chats at gigs is annoying. The volumne of the band should dictate your behaviour. If it is a mellow acoustic gig then near silence is required. However if its a metal gig the opposite it is needed. I have been at and enjoyed both sorts of gigs.

klein4
08/02/2006, 3:43 PM
couple of things...
1) I was at the frames the other nite and the amount of people that feel the need to shout crap up at the stage is annoyin as anything. I mean form a ****in band if you want the attention!!!! shoutin **** at gigs is the new talkin at gigs...
2) agree with my stalker above. music is a personal taste thing. its good that we have a lot of local bands doin alrite now as before it was a case of "if you arent doin well in england, we dont wanna know" Maybe we are finally losing our Irish inferiority complex.

NeilMcD
08/02/2006, 3:46 PM
Klein do you always have to get personal digs in even when you are agreeing with me.

klein4
08/02/2006, 4:00 PM
stay on topic. ;)

fosterdollar
08/02/2006, 4:23 PM
What is your genre so fosterdollar, cos I am widely spread across genres and go to all kinds of gigs.
Fair play. Me too. :ball:

Its just in Ireland the Frames, Bell x 1 Damien Rice, Paddy Casey etc seems to be the most dominant or popular etc.

That was my point. i.e. this happens more at their gigs

Its very easy to criticise music tastes or bands but at the end of the day its all to do with taste.

Agreed. I tried to explain I wasn't getting on anyone's back over who they liked - maybe not so well though.

Back to the point, people having loud chats at gigs is annoying. The volumne of the band should dictate your behaviour. If it is a mellow acoustic gig then near silence is required. However if its a metal gig the opposite it is needed. I have been at and enjoyed both sorts of gigs.

Absolutely, but i think my comments were relevant given that the talking was at that particular concert.