PDA

View Full Version : Will name of league change with re-launch?

Pages : [1] 2

ThatGuy
30/01/2006, 3:25 PM
The Eircom League can hardly be re-launched as the Eircom League can it? What do you think it will be called? My bet is on the Irish Premier League sponsored by Eircom or something rubbish like that.

noby
30/01/2006, 3:28 PM
Premeircomship

Bald Student
30/01/2006, 3:28 PM
The proposals in the genesis report are:

Some Possible Names for the new League:
· eircom Professional Super league
· eircom Elite Irish League
· eircom Ireland Super League
· eircom Irish Premiership
· eircom FAI Premiership.

dcfcsteve
30/01/2006, 3:29 PM
The Eircom League can hardly be re-launched as the Eircom League can it? What do you think it will be called? My bet is on the Irish Premier League sponsored by Eircom or something rubbish like that.

I don't think there'll be a change unless Eircom wants one. They're paying, so it'll be their call. And if I was them I'd want it to remain the Eircom league. Why does it have to change ?

Also - football leagues now have sponsor names integral to their title - e.g. Barcays Premiership, Carnegie Premier league - not secondary as in "..sponsored by Eircom". There's therefore very few alternatives to 'Eircom League' available.

Rory H
30/01/2006, 3:33 PM
love to know who's job it was to think them up

they are useless

· eircom Irish Premiership
· eircom FAI Premiership.

:rolleyes:

MrJoeSoap
30/01/2006, 3:41 PM
How about "The Eircom Irish Premier Division Superleague incorporating Derry City"

ollie
30/01/2006, 3:44 PM
How about "The Eircom Irish Premier Division Superleague incorporating Derry City"

PC gone mad:rolleyes: :D

Roverstillidie
30/01/2006, 3:49 PM
"The Eircom super dooper premier league unfortunately minus the fameous Shamrock Rovers for the moment"

Gets my vote

SRFC Head
30/01/2006, 3:51 PM
"The Eircom super dooper premier league unfortunately minus the fameous Shamrock Rovers for the moment"

Gets my vote

Gets my vote too, imagine how many years it could be callled that...

Dodge
30/01/2006, 3:59 PM
I go for Jerry The Saint's Prim-éire Liga

Roverstillidie
30/01/2006, 4:00 PM
Gets my vote too, imagine how many years it could be callled that...

1. one way or the other.....

Red4Eva
30/01/2006, 4:04 PM
........... Prim-éire Liga

same here. best way to get popular is to mooch off the popularity of others

BohDiddley
30/01/2006, 4:07 PM
John Delaney's Quick-Pick

Bluebeard
30/01/2006, 4:11 PM
John Delaney's Quick-Pick
:D :D :D

dcfcsteve
30/01/2006, 4:26 PM
The 'Eircom Town vs Country Challenge League'.

Featuring the 'Premier City Division', and the 'Country Division'.

The Stars
30/01/2006, 4:47 PM
The Eircom League version II.

Mr A
30/01/2006, 4:54 PM
The eircom sponsored facilities and marketiblity pagent (incorporating some credit for sporting prowess) of Ireland.

Red4Eva
30/01/2006, 4:56 PM
The thank f*ck we finally got rid of ucd&home farm league

hamish
30/01/2006, 5:00 PM
How about something American like

The Eircom Soccerballz

or

The Eircom World Series.

:D

sullanefc
30/01/2006, 5:09 PM
I go for Jerry The Saint's Prim-éire Liga

or the Eircom Peil-Eire League

Derek
30/01/2006, 5:31 PM
"The Eircom league of groundsharers"

1 9 2 8
30/01/2006, 5:37 PM
The thank f*ck we finally got rid of ucd&home farm league
Best one yet:D

thejollyrodger
30/01/2006, 6:03 PM
The Eircom Super League

pete
30/01/2006, 6:12 PM
Super League isn't bad as calling it Elite will only attract mockery.

Story goes that guys who came up with Eircom name for the old Telecom Eireann got paid £800m+ so maybe we could get those boys back? :eek:

I really want to have new improved sponsor as eircom offer nothing.

BohDiddley
30/01/2006, 6:49 PM
I tell you, it's the EL Quick Pick.

Logo suggestions: a) a green and white dice with two six-sides and dots in the shape of shamrocks.
b) a hand of God pulling a hooped bunny out of a hat
c) a fair play logo on the point of being shredded

Bald Student
30/01/2006, 6:50 PM
I really want to have new improved sponsor as eircom offer nothing.I agree 100%. They get their brand name announced on most TV and radio bulletins each weekend and give nothing in return. In most other sports the title sponsor promotes the events, like Guinness in the Hurling or Heineken and the rugby.

Am I correct in saying that the clubs don't even get any money from eircom? The only benefit is that they pay the wages of the administrators?

Magicme
30/01/2006, 7:22 PM
We get free broadband internet.....

hamish
30/01/2006, 7:34 PM
We get free broadband internet.....

WTF???:eek: I thought the buggers were supposed to be pouring millions into the game here???:eek: :mad:

pete
30/01/2006, 10:05 PM
The only benefit is that they pay the wages of the administrators?

That has always been my impression but don't know where i got that from. Merge with the FAI will reduce need for separate eL employees too.

However it should be noted that rugbys Celtic League can't find a sponsor as they've been changing the format & can't guarantee the welsh clubs will stay...

Philo
30/01/2006, 10:23 PM
I agree 100%. They get their brand name announced on most TV and radio bulletins each weekend and give nothing in return. In most other sports the title sponsor promotes the events, like Guinness in the Hurling or Heineken and the rugby.

Am I correct in saying that the clubs don't even get any money from eircom? The only benefit is that they pay the wages of the administrators?

In fact, eircom hand out free passes to all matches (to anyone who'll take them), thereby attempting to deprive clubs of gate money.

I'd like to stick with the eircom League, just because putting eL in front of everything makes it look Spanish.

Bald Student
30/01/2006, 10:24 PM
That has always been my impression but don't know where i got that from.I remember reading a report in a paper a few months back (sorry for not having a link but I'm just working from memory) that if the league was left on it's own by the FAI each club would have to pay about 50,000 euro anually to cover the current running costs. I took that to mean that the eircom deal is worth about 1 million anually and that a lot of money is being wasted on running the league.

Breifne
30/01/2006, 11:15 PM
I took that to mean that the eircom deal is worth about 1 million anually and that a lot of money is being wasted on running the league.

From what i can see this may actually be true, there are many leagues across the country with significantly larger player numbers, who also deal with media (albeit local and regional), organise fixtures, referees, websites, registrations, transfers and the various other tasks necessary for a league to perform. They seem to have no problem with 8-10 volunteers giving maybe 10-15 hours per week (even more in some cases) (a total of approx. 80 - 150 man hours per week.

The eL has at least six members of staff (I think it might be even as high as 8 or 9) all on decent salaries one must presume, seems like a bit of a waste of human resources. Especially when you consider hassle with website (what website), limited TV and media coverage, referees (UCD V Waterford, IT Tallaght V Shamrock Rovers), registrations. It seems a bit suspect to me.

Réiteoir
30/01/2006, 11:18 PM
The eircom Franchise League

The eircom Closed Shop League

The eircom Non-Promotion or Relegation League

Dr.Nightdub
30/01/2006, 11:52 PM
The eircom Leagues. Seeing as there'll be two of them, with no promotion or relegation.

MariborKev
31/01/2006, 12:06 AM
"The eircom League, but not as we knew it........"

or more accurately

"The Experiment"

Réiteoir
31/01/2006, 1:24 AM
Pavlov's League

hamish
31/01/2006, 1:29 AM
How about a Pierce Brosnan TV and newspaper campaign with him intoning,
"The name is League...............Eircom League."

Snoop Drog
31/01/2006, 1:51 AM
I-League anyone?

A face
31/01/2006, 1:52 AM
From what i can see this may actually be true, there are many leagues across the country with significantly larger player numbers, who also deal with media (albeit local and regional), organise fixtures, referees, websites, registrations, transfers and the various other tasks necessary for a league to perform. They seem to have no problem with 8-10 volunteers giving maybe 10-15 hours per week (even more in some cases) (a total of approx. 80 - 150 man hours per week.

The eL has at least six members of staff (I think it might be even as high as 8 or 9) all on decent salaries one must presume, seems like a bit of a waste of human resources. Especially when you consider hassle with website (what website), limited TV and media coverage, referees (UCD V Waterford, IT Tallaght V Shamrock Rovers), registrations. It seems a bit suspect to me.

It is scary when it is actually put like that ..... you'd have to wonder what goes on ?

And one thing that gets me is we never hear from the league, the clubs do (i'd imagine) hear a bit alright but joe soap, the guy reading his papers, or the casual fan actually goes from one end of the year to the other hearing actually NOTHING from the league. Most of us here on foot.ie will eventually hear a bit but for the most part the league is just no there for the public. That is a big problem in my opinion.

Strabane_Harp
31/01/2006, 10:25 AM
the 'we screwed seery to get rovers back premier league of greater dublin'

Peadar
31/01/2006, 10:46 AM
The eircom sponsored Coca-Cola Championship Feeder League. :(

Strabane_Harp
31/01/2006, 10:48 AM
Bargain Basement Premier

sadloserkid
31/01/2006, 11:25 AM
The "I can't believe it's not actually rugby with franchises" League

or

The Let's Get Galway back into top flight by any means possible League.

Jerry The Saint
31/01/2006, 12:36 PM
I-League anyone?

Ugh, I bet they end up calling this thing iLeague... :o :(

John83
31/01/2006, 12:49 PM
The Eircom League version II.
2? Hell no.

hamish
31/01/2006, 5:16 PM
The Real Football not Bogball League.:)

dancinpants
31/01/2006, 10:06 PM
"The Prediction League"

Anything Can Happen in the Next Half Hour League as a slogan

Réiteoir
31/01/2006, 11:52 PM
eircomMillions

because at the moment - it's a fecking lottery

Mr A
01/02/2006, 2:18 AM
eircomMillions

because at the moment - it's a fecking lottery

Get's my vote!

Conor H
01/02/2006, 4:01 PM
-
The Let's Get Galway back into top flight by any means possible League.
Or lets get UCD out of the top flight by any means possible league.