PDA

View Full Version : New Driving Penalty Points

pete
30/01/2006, 10:51 AM
Any thoughts on these? Any news when this system will move away from paper & ruler approach?

My Favourites...

No Driving Licence
Failure to produce a license
Driving against motorway flow
Trying to get a licence while disqualified

anto1208
30/01/2006, 11:31 AM
driving into a yellow box !!! this isnt dangerous driving annoying at worst ,and not allways something that can be avoided .

can some one check but ive heard driving the wrong way up a one way and the wrong way up a motorway only get you 2 points !! surely these are extreamly dangerous and if some one iis bad enough to drive the wrong way up a motorway they should be off the road .

Macy
30/01/2006, 12:57 PM
driving into a yellow box !!! this isnt dangerous driving annoying at worst ,and not allways something that can be avoided .
You're not supposed to enter a yellow box unless you can get through it (unless turning right) - I don't see how that's something that can't be avoided.

btw I think the offence in the new penalty points is about the road markings in the middle - the white diagonals. eg the ones you see seperating carriageways at right hand turns etc.

Macy
30/01/2006, 1:31 PM
Any thoughts on these?
Don't mind the ones that are clear cut. Hate one's that are subjective. I mean is the 2 second rule going to be okay for the driving too close behind or will they be enforcing the full stopping distance.

One that came up when we were out on Saturday is the crossing a white line - are you supposed to sit behind a cyclist so as not to cross a white line, even if it's just barely?

Kinda related to the conspiracy theory thread, you'd have to wonder as the County Council have put in a load of continous white lines at straights that were safe overtaking spots previously. They've widened the road, taken out dips, resurfaced, and apparently now it's less safe :rolleyes:

pete
30/01/2006, 5:53 PM
driving into a yellow box !!! this isnt dangerous driving annoying at worst ,and not always something that can be avoided .

As Macy said, if you can't get out of then don't enter. I've got caught in one the odd time but see too many people driving into with no thought to getting back. Its annoying as feck & causes huge knock on traffic delays.]

Does anyone have info on when this will be computerised? Anyone know if UK police have handheld devices for traffic enforcement.

Been said before but road markings as extremely dangerous in this country. Everyone knows of a straight road with no side roads that has solid white line as well as broken white loines on corners. FFS its just a bit of paint but never fixed unless the complete road been relaid. I think i read that the Minister announced big sign & road marking upgrade project for the coming years.

On camden street there is a right turn (no sign to indicate prohibited) after a pedestrain crossing that has a solid white line so catches out loads of motorists. However there is a yellow box outside a one way side street which has no purpose if the right turn is not allowed. I got caught beofre but pleased ignorance & talked my way out of a fine but boy racer at work disputed the guards advise & got fine. :rolleyes:

Macy
31/01/2006, 7:13 AM
I think i read that the Minister announced big sign & road marking upgrade project for the coming years.
The road I'm talking about was only done in the last month or so! Cullen, and Brennan before him, are the kings of the press release. It'd be interesting to see how many times things are announced by this pair before being implemented. I mean this has to be the 5th or 6th big splash on penalty points?

anto1208
01/02/2006, 8:32 AM
[QUOTE=pete]As Macy said, if you can't get out of then don't enter. I've got caught in one the odd time but see too many people driving into with no thought to getting back. Its annoying as feck & causes huge knock on traffic delays.]

QUOTE]

think you answered your self there dont enter if you cant get out , then you say you ve been caught a few times !!!!:D see its easy happen , there has often been room to get out the other side but if the car in front just stops there isnt much you can do about it should you really get some points .

but my point is its annoying not dangerous , ive never heard of any fatalities involving a yellow box , the point where brought in to reduce road deaths ( which have risen since there indroduction probibly due to people staring at there speedomitors and now trying to work out the 2 second rule aswell )

Macy
01/02/2006, 9:26 AM
Like I said I don't think they mean yellow boxes, although no doubt the cops will take that route to get the enforcement numbers up. They mean the white hatched areas like you see when a lane is ending at the end of dual carriage way, or at slip roads joining motorways that type of thing.

I think you could make a case that stuff that causes frustration in other road users can lead to dangerous driving/deaths. We've all seen shít overtaking that can be traced back to people driving way below the speed limit and refusing to let people past, or people that refuse to overtake but don't leave enough room for others to get in between them and the slow vehicle leading to people taking 2 or 3 at a time. People blocking up junctions is just another way of increasing frustration and causing road rage...

pete
01/02/2006, 10:45 AM
I think there should be penalty point for getting stuck in yellow boxes. If this was enforced i'd certianly ensure i didn't enter without certian could get back out of.

We all know the guards won't enforce half these anyway as no police on the national roads.

anto1208
01/02/2006, 11:10 AM
i think people need to relax on the roads , if some one blocks a yellow box it may delay you by upto 2 mins or if some one is driving at 50 mph anstead of 60 it will only delay you by 5 mins .....

where have people got to be thats so important that you would risk putting your own life not to mention other peoples lives in danger by getting upset and driving too fast or dangerously.

pete
01/02/2006, 11:14 AM
i think people need to relax on the roads , if some one blocks a yellow box it may delay you by upto 2 mins

I disagree. Nothing annoys a motorist but the ignorance & inconsisderation of others. When laws not enforced you'll see an idiot pull into a yellow box & get stuck there hence blocked traffic on the cross road for up top 5 minutes & all the more annoying when the road the person trying to get to is full of traffic anyway. If 3 cars did that on 3 junctions of say the dublin quays you;ll have 10-15 min delay as it filters back the traffic. IMO people who are that ignorant shiuld have their keys taken & car confiscated.

anto1208
01/02/2006, 12:34 PM
what are you saying pete you admitted to doing it yourself , so there for your keys should be taken from you :D :D

pete
02/02/2006, 10:19 AM
what are you saying pete you admitted to doing it yourself , so there for your keys should be taken from you :D :D

I;m talking about the people who deliberately drive into the box ignorant of others when its clear to see no chance of getting back out. Theres a clear difference between someone who drives in & maybe other person cuts them off & barely blocking...

Tired&Emotional
02/02/2006, 12:26 PM
Anyone hear how many points those two Gardai, asleep in their car on the hard shoulder of the M50 yest. morning, got on their licences:D :D

Dr.Nightdub
02/02/2006, 7:49 PM
Anyone got a link to the list of new offences? I'm on 6 points as it is, it sounds like they've just multiplied my chances of getting more by 30.

babydol
06/02/2006, 9:43 PM
I was just about to ask that - how many on here have penalty points and what did you get them for?

I have....eh, a few!:o

Macy
07/02/2006, 7:18 AM
No points - UK licence :D No convictions either, but there's been a few times I've been waiting for a recorded delivery that never came....

max power
07/02/2006, 10:11 AM
macy i think its time you came clean, walk into the local cop shop and confess, you'll feel better.

Tired&Emotional
10/02/2006, 10:19 AM
Announced yesterday there will be cross-border cooperation so that, for example, NI drives can now be given points on their licence here and have this enforced in their own jurisdiction (and vice versa).

'Bout time....I drive the M1 twice a day and among (before anyone accuses me of singling out NI drivers) the careless road-users are NI reg cars that drive at dangerous speeds, tailgate at these dangerous speeds and weave between the two lanes - tring to be smart by speeding up the inside lane and then squeezing in between two cars in the outside lane which have the breaking distance between them - no patience & hot headed! Lethal.
And I see this without fail EVERY day.

Anyone else hear this - can't seem to find a link to support this.....yet!

pete
10/02/2006, 12:47 PM
Announced yesterday there will be cross-border cooperation so that, for example, NI drives can now be given points on their licence here and have this enforced in their own jurisdiction (and vice versa).

Sounds like standard governement announcement. I'd be surprised if its been implemented yet & is anything more than just plans. I expect the government to re-announce this several times before anything done.

:rolleyes:

Macy
13/02/2006, 8:31 AM
It's disqualifications that carry, not points. Say someone gets a drink drive ban in the UK, then the Irish Government will be notified and they'll be banned here. They deliberately said speeding offences to misrepresent it (Cullen again?), but they mean the bans you get if you go mad speeds - in the UK if you get done over 30mph over the speed limit you go to court rather than fixed penalty, and then get put off the road for a while. Not sure the same applies here?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0209/driving.html