PDA

View Full Version : New proposal voted in-Your views?

sligoman
28/01/2006, 9:38 PM
A vote has been taken today at the eircom League AGM in Limerick which is set to change the structure of the League next year.

18 of the 22 clubs voted in favour of re-structuring the league at the end of next season, with no promotion or relegation to take place.

It is the first step towards a full merger between the League and the FAI, following proposals by the FAI to operate a financially viable league in 2007, when clubs will be placed in divisions which reflect this season's league placing, facilities and each club's marketability.

From here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0128/eircomleague.html).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think? Will it affect Rovers at all? Will we get in or struggle to get in? I'm against as I feel it's unfair that teams should be kicked out even though they qualified to be there, fair and square.

Rovers1
29/01/2006, 11:39 AM
dont like it,it takes the football out of the game,as i said in the Eircom League forum,teams may as well win trophys based on how many shirts they sell!

Red4Eva
29/01/2006, 4:43 PM
whatever effects the new proposals will have on our league it will have no effect on who wins what trophies over the next cupla years. the fai are gonna put €7.7m into the league for the top tier teams to get stadia and finances up to a decent level so the league can develop&clubs can be financial viable in the long term. spending this money on a pointless club like dublin city who can only develop to certain level is money down the drain IMO. I can see no definite negatives for sligo rovers. although the fai has it's history of imcompetence, after last year's tv deal i'm willing to give them a chance cos our league needs a radical step&it can't really get any worse

pineapple stu
29/01/2006, 8:06 PM
Wasn't this poll alraedy done?

1 9 2 8
29/01/2006, 8:26 PM
Ya but this is for Rovers supporters only

pineapple stu
29/01/2006, 8:31 PM
Didn't see that! You can disregard my vote so... :o

MervilleUnited
29/01/2006, 9:22 PM
A vote has been taken today at the eircom League AGM in Limerick which is set to change the structure of the League next year.

18 of the 22 clubs voted in favour of re-structuring the league at the end of next season, with no promotion or relegation to take place.

It is the first step towards a full merger between the League and the FAI, following proposals by the FAI to operate a financially viable league in 2007, when clubs will be placed in divisions which reflect this season's league placing, facilities and each club's marketability.

From here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0128/eircomleague.html).
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you think? Will it affect Rovers at all? Will we get in or struggle to get in? I'm against as I feel it's unfair that teams should be kicked out even though they qualified to be there, fair and square.

I would say rovers will meet the Criteria, as very few clubs in the EL can match the support to be had when the team is playing well. If the papers are to be believed, some of rovers home attendance figures last season put us up with the top 5 clubs in marketability, which is a criteria to play in 2007. It cannot be right that teams from Dublin who attract a couple of hundred supporters can secure a eircom league place, while teams like Castlebar Celtic, who could attract a big fan base, are denied entry.

This is about progress, and if there has to be pain for one year, so be it. That said, if Sean gets the financal backing of the Supporters and Business Community of our area, mid table will be enough to secure us a place in the new premier. And back to europe!:eek:

But dont start me on the merits of an All-Ireland League. We would be big winners if that ever happens!:D

sligoman
29/01/2006, 10:33 PM
Didn't see that! You can disregard my vote so... :oand jebus, higgins and iceman too:rolleyes:.

Redzer
30/01/2006, 12:29 PM
The support for football is out there, but we need to go and get it. Stadiums, infastructures, coaching and club management must improve.The old system hasn't worked, so I think we need to change radically if this league is gonna produce better standards.
I'm willing to give it a go.

Red4Eva
30/01/2006, 3:12 PM
Great post Merville

A lot of the negativity towards the new proposals seems has been generated by UCD propaganda or people who just think "no promotion or relegation=bad" and don't think of the benefits long-term. with our great fan base and plans for development of the ground(coaching centre etc.), not to mention progress made in recent years(new stand, all-weather&vast improvements to our balance sheet) the fai will welcome us with open arms to the new league. also they will recognise that we spend our money well so we will be deserved of further grants

marktis
31/01/2006, 2:28 PM
I just hope that of the monies earmarked for the ericom league (€7.7 million) goes to some clubs outside of Dublin to develop the game.
Too often money seems to be pumped into the Dublin clubs with little or no regard for areas outside the capital.

Terry
31/01/2006, 2:55 PM
I just hope that of the monies earmarked for the ericom league (€7.7 million) goes to some clubs outside of Dublin to develop the game.
Too often money seems to be pumped into the Dublin clubs with little or no regard for areas outside the capital.

They said that they would concentrate mainly on regionalised clubs such as Sligo, Galway, Waterford, Limerick etc. as these clubs would have more potential in attracting more people to the EL if the proper facilites were there.

Or something along those lines anyway, dont quote me exactly

gustavo
31/01/2006, 7:05 PM
Jeebus may be a big Rovers fan , but jebus isnt :)

sligoman
31/01/2006, 7:16 PM
Why Jeebus he is a big Rovers Fan !!!!!!! SM have you been on the pop this lunch time ? :D
Jeebus may be a big Rovers fan , but jebus isnt :)Exactly gustavo. Rogue Trader, jebus is actually a Limerick fan:p.

Jeebus
03/02/2006, 12:21 PM
I might change my username to avoid any future confusion!:)