PDA

View Full Version : Fancy a Merger?

Maynard
28/01/2006, 2:43 PM
Well I may as well be the first person to fly this particular kite...Seeing as the FAI obviously want the Dublin eL landscape to consist soley of the big 4 clubs playing out of two grounds, one on the northside and one on the southside, that leaves both of our clubs in a very perilous position.

I believe that both clubs have 3 options; Option 1 being to simply carry on as is, try and win promotion from the 1st Division (again:mad: ) and generally suffer the slings and arrows of every eL **** who has an IQ of between 15 and 40. Option 2 would be just to pack it all in, see this shafting as the final straw and just walk away from the whole mess.

So what about option 3? If there isn't enough room for the big 4 plus 2, would there be any room for the big 4 plus 1? Play out of Belfield, or sell Belfield for a sh1tload of money and relocate? Continue playing in the Dublin colours of both sides, allowing Carrolls to continue their sponsorship and investing heavily whilst maintaining large sales of the merchandise. Employ the most hard-working/miracle-working chairman in the league, have a look at altering the club name to suit most people, double both clubs fanbase, create a bigger pool of Dublin based player to go in for, and try and break into the big 4.

Anyone buying it? Humour me I'm upset:o

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 2:59 PM
The thing is Maynard, simply put we're one of the most unique clubs in the world. We're an extension of a university. I don't think it's possible to merge with us. Belfield belongs to the university, there would be no money to be made by selling it. The college is already on the verge of knocking it down and sticking us into the rugby ground. The closest thing to a merger would be for both sets of fans to back one of the two clubs in a bid to make one of the clubs slightly bigger in fanbase. Essentially we're a South East Dublin club and you're I suppose a Northside club. There's not a lot of options I'm afraid.

Aberdonian Stu
28/01/2006, 3:15 PM
Also Maynard the likely merged name would be UCD Dublin, and given our reaction to the new crest there's no way we'd go for it!

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 3:16 PM
Also Maynard the likely merged name would be UCD Dublin, and given our reaction to the new crest there's no way we'd go for it!

Good point.:D

Student Mullet
28/01/2006, 4:12 PM
I don't mean any disrespect Maynard but I do think that your club is in a worse position than UCD. We're a very diverse club, the mens' senior team is only a small fraction of the club's activities. There's certainly no chance of UCD disappearing or going bankrupt.

It's a sad day for sport in this country though. The long knives are still active in the FAI.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 5:09 PM
Dublin City and UCD might be forced to ground share under these new arrangements which might be an idea. Maybe not a merger per se. But a groundshare might work!

Maynard
28/01/2006, 5:54 PM
I don't mean any disrespect Maynard but I do think that your club is in a worse position than UCD.

None taken. I agree. I was just kind of whirling when I posted that, although it does show that you can find positives in any daft scenario. (An old FAI trick there:rolleyes: )

Have received word that it mighn't be as fatal as first thought, so holding onto that for dear life at the minute...

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 6:13 PM
Maynard, does that mean you reject my offer to come support UCD?:D

ihatejam
28/01/2006, 9:18 PM
sorry lads,cant for love nor money remember how this is to work,someone explain it for me please?

Bald Student
30/01/2006, 11:37 AM
sorry lads,cant for love nor money remember how this is to work,someone explain it for me please?There'll be no promotion or relegation at the end of next season. Instead in 2007 the FAI will pick who they think are the best ten teams to be in the premier.

It's a bit like the system for colleges football in America.

ihatejam
30/01/2006, 11:50 AM
There'll be no promotion or relegation at the end of next season. Instead in 2007 the FAI will pick who they think are the best ten teams to be in the premier.

It's a bit like the system for colleges football in America.

Are you serious?so wtf will teams be playing for then?are they going to turn it into 1 big league? i.e the premier and the first division together or will the league layout stay the same?

Bald Student
30/01/2006, 12:05 PM
10 team premier.
They don't know for sure yet what it will be based on. Suggestions it will include support levels and league position, as well as vague terms like marketability and potential.

Do you know the adds currently running on english TV for Budweiser? The ones where it describes what the English league would be like if ran by american marketing people? That's basically what we're getting.

ihatejam
30/01/2006, 1:23 PM
10 team premier.
They don't know for sure yet what it will be based on. Suggestions it will include support levels and league position, as well as vague terms like marketability and potential.

Do you know the adds currently running on english TV for Budweiser? The ones where it describes what the English league would be like if ran by american marketing people? That's basically what we're getting.

So if we were to finish mid-table,with a decent run in each cup,what would our chances be of being "re-elected" for the following season?

Schumi
30/01/2006, 1:35 PM
So if we were to finish mid-table,with a decent run in each cup,what would our chances be of being "re-elected" for the following season?None I'd imagine.

lefty
30/01/2006, 2:22 PM
When is this shambles going to be decided. My god can people not just leave the league the way it is for once and for all :mad: , unless this is all a cover for an All-Ireland Premier league being set up in 2007 it is the biggest load of bolox that i have heard in my entire life and should be greeted with a national supporters boycott, football is about survival of the fittest not survival of the most marketable team with the biggest amount of "fans"

Macy
30/01/2006, 2:31 PM
What are you all moaning about, everything will be hunky dory in the MK Dons Irish Super League.

Rory H
30/01/2006, 2:43 PM
people always complain about ye and home farm but ye disappear we will miss ye

people love to hate