PDA

View Full Version : Inter-county league

rasper
26/01/2006, 11:06 PM
what is happening in galway ladies soccer when they never fielded a team the inter county league.surely there is sisteen players in galway that are willing to play for their county or is it pitch's that is the problem. if it is then the f.a,i. and noel king should have something to say.if mayo,clare or roscommon can get teams out then a county the size of galway can find some person that can get a team together.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 11:16 AM
Rasper

A lot of this could be down to funds. Maybe the League thought competing in the WFAI Cup especially if they got an away draw would be too expensive.

rasper
28/01/2006, 2:13 PM
the inter county or west coast league as it is called only has teams from the west coast of ireland galway were to play clare mayo and roscommon but did not fied

CollegeTillIDie
01/02/2006, 7:43 AM
Is this a sort of Womens Soccer version of the GAA FBD league?

rasper
02/02/2006, 11:05 PM
Is this a sort of Womens Soccer version of the GAA FBD league?
sort of, it was set up this year by mayo, roscommon, clare and galway but galway didn't field any team. each team would play each other twice home and away every second week with the top two teams meeting in the final so far the results are roscommon 1 mayo 3.mayo 1 clare 2 next match is this saturday between clare and ros .it is hoped that more teams will join next year.they play for the noel bohan cup .noels family were from foxford in mayo and they gave the cup for this competition.

rasper
06/02/2006, 7:09 PM
clare beat roscommon on saturday last 1-0 close game anyone at the game???

rasper
16/02/2006, 11:39 PM
roscommon play clare saturday 18/02/06 in this league

rasper
16/02/2006, 11:41 PM
reports on mayo league matchs are on www.freewebs.com/mayoladies

Number9
09/03/2006, 6:20 PM
I was searching a2zsoccer for info on this league but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have a list of results / fixtures to be played / league table? The Star is normally fairly on top of developments in ladies soccer but don't remember seeing anything on this? Will there be an u18 version of this league?

rasper
10/03/2006, 7:29 AM
full results and fixtures on www.freewebs.com/mayoladies the star print's table's and fixture's most tuesdays.next match roscommon and mayo on 18/3/06 i think. mayo at home.no u.18 league of this sort

Number9
10/03/2006, 1:51 PM
Thanks rasper but there are more results posted on this tthread than on the Mayo ladies website. Just as a suggestion, as you appear to be very much involved in this, would you not consider sending in the results, reports etc to a2zsoccer.com. I believe that it is free and gets a good number of hits. Also Noel King (women's/ladies manager) is involved with the site. IMO, the more attention the league attracts, especially from the Dublin "establishment", the better.

CollegeTillIDie
10/03/2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks rasper but there are more results posted on this tthread than on the Mayo ladies website. Just as a suggestion, as you appear to be very much involved in this, would you not consider sending in the results, reports etc to a2zsoccer.com. I believe that it is free and gets a good number of hits. Also Noel King (women's/ladies manager) is involved with the site. IMO, the more attention the league attracts, especially from the Dublin "establishment", the better.

Noel King has not been involved with a2zsoccer.com since about 2004

Number9
15/03/2006, 1:11 PM
Perhaps not officially part of a2zsoccer, but certainly a regular visitor to the website.

Number9
16/03/2006, 3:08 PM
The impression given in this post is that this inter-league competition is made up of "League" teams. Looks like the Clare "league" team consists of players from 1 club - see extract below from a2zsoccer. Rumour is that an entry to another inter-league competition was refused to Galway as all the players were from Salthill Devon. I suppose it's up to the organisers to determine what constitutes a league team and what doesn't.

Western League:

The Lifford senior team will travel to Roscommon this weekend as they look to continue their quest for Western League glory. Having played the Connaught side a mere two weeks ago, both teams will be well equipped to deal with each other's style of football.

Lifford won that game 1-0, with Jenny Critchley netting the all-important goal. They will be hoping to get another three points to strengthen their position at the top of the table.

Fixtures:

Roscommon League v Lifford

rasper
17/03/2006, 11:39 AM
sorry was out of the country for the last week and didn't post anything .first thing noel king was in galway at the launch of the inter league in galway have not seen hin at any game since but may be waiting for final.not involved in clare league but their manager i am sure picked the best players and have won all their matchs so far and are in final.the galway league were to play in league but pulled out for their own reasons. salthill could have play and brought in more players into it from other clubs and play as galway but may not have known this but there is always next year. this league was set up to develop womens soccer in the west not just win and only play with best players.i will post matchs and fixture to a2zsoccer.

Number9
20/03/2006, 1:33 PM
rasper, the county teams playing in the "Western League" will have gained great experience from playing against Lifford (not the "Clare League" - there is no Clare Ladies League, only an u15 one at the moment run by the Clare Schoolboys League).
Lifford were only a couple of goals away from representing Ireland in the ladies equivalent of the Champions League a year or 2 ago, so you were playing against 1 of the best club sides in the land. Lifford play in the Limerick League and many of their players have been recuited from that county. Perhaps it is now the intention of Lifford to help establish a Clare Ladies League and develop the ladies game in their native county.
Salthill Devon from what I heard, wanted to enter a team into an underage tournament in Cork under the name of the Galway League, but the organisers apparently deemed this to be non-representative of underage girls soccer in Galway.
Like I said, it is the organisers of the tournaments who decide what constitutes a League team and what doesn't.

rasper
20/03/2006, 8:13 PM
thank number9 lifford are in deed a good team but we can not blame lifford for no womens league in clare they play by the rule that is there and maybe the clare league should set up a league for women because in my view it does not help womens soccer if one team take all the best players and leave other players that want to play soccer with no team to play for and lifford also need good teams to play against.the inter county league is not set in stone so next year we will look again with all teams and work out what is best for womens soccer in the west

Number9
27/03/2006, 6:27 PM
Thoroughly agree rasper. Clare clubs need to be encouraged to start ladies teams. The U15 is a good start. Perhaps next year there will be U16s progressing to U18s. IMO this is the way to go, as startup teams playing against Lifford Ladies would be totally outgunned - checkout the number of international players they have.

rasper
27/03/2006, 9:22 PM
league committee's decides what teams will be allowed play in their league,and what teams are good for soccer in their county and set up teams like this but the problem is that not enough people will get up and do something to set up teams in their clubs this is all over the country not just in clare.women now play a lot of sports and it is hard to get players to play and train with a team when they have so much else on but if we don't try we will never develop soccer in ireland for women and we do have some very very good players.great to see that tnag4 are covering the ireland swiss match in april is this the start of better things to come?

CollegeTillIDie
30/03/2006, 7:29 AM
league committee's decides what teams will be allowed play in their league,and what teams are good for soccer in their county and set up teams like this but the problem is that not enough people will get up and do something to set up teams in their clubs this is all over the country not just in clare.women now play a lot of sports and it is hard to get players to play and train with a team when they have so much else on but if we don't try we will never develop soccer in ireland for women and we do have some very very good players.great to see that tnag4 are covering the ireland swiss match in april is this the start of better things to come?

Well said rasper.... Celtic Tiger Ireland has seen people reluctant to volunteer for a variety of reasons 1) People in the private sector are working longer hours 2) Selfishness among those who do have spare time , nobody is willing to do something for nothing for not even as good a cause as promoting young people's health!:mad:

Number9
30/03/2006, 8:52 PM
Thoroughly agree with both of you - CTID & rasper - the Celtic Tiger brought great wealth to lots of people. Many are parents with kids playing sports, some playing girls/womens soccer (why the change in name by the way - used to be known as ladies soccer???). Try getting sponsorship, donations etc. It takes money as well as time to develop the sport.
You hit the nail on the head when referring to the Celtic Tiger spawning selfish people unwilling to give up their time. Just check your local club and count the number of "U-turns" made when dropping off kids for training and even matches. It's sad to see parents not even making the time to see their offspring playing in a match.
Perhaps the govt should intervene. Tax credits for volunteering to take your local soccer team. Tax credits for watching your child play matches..!!!...may be truer to the mark in some cases.

CollegeTillIDie
01/04/2006, 5:38 PM
Thoroughly agree with both of you - CTID & rasper - the Celtic Tiger brought great wealth to lots of people. Many are parents with kids playing sports, some playing girls/womens soccer (why the change in name by the way - used to be known as ladies soccer???). Try getting sponsorship, donations etc. It takes money as well as time to develop the sport.
You hit the nail on the head when referring to the Celtic Tiger spawning selfish people unwilling to give up their time. Just check your local club and count the number of "U-turns" made when dropping off kids for training and even matches. It's sad to see parents not even making the time to see their offspring playing in a match.
Perhaps the govt should intervene. Tax credits for volunteering to take your local soccer team. Tax credits for watching your child play matches..!!!...may be truer to the mark in some cases.

Well I have been secretary of Women's soccer teams since 1998 and would love a tax credit for that :D

rasper
10/04/2006, 12:20 AM
The Inter League Final Is In Milebush Park Castlebar On Monday April 17th At 2.30 Between Mayo And Clare.

Pasta
11/04/2006, 12:58 PM
As a player in the galway league i to was disapointed that we as a county could not provide a team into this league, reasons for not having a team are as follows...certain players in galway are not willing to play under certain managers depite having the opportunity to represent their county...also players in galway are in demand as they have a very competitive league and also other commitments to other sports i.e gaa. We had a very successful run as a county in the irish cup last year losing to peamount by one goal in a match that could of been anyones...and peamount reached the final. this year the summer county team are hoping to improve their team and will hopefully do better so as to put ladies soccer in galway on the map...the development in the west of ireland should be focused on the youth,not on developing a league for its already established players...its outside the west that these teams need to develop. so in finishing, entering a team into the irish cups and doing well should be the main goal of the already established leagues in the west.

rasper
11/04/2006, 7:40 PM
hi pasta welcome to foot.why knock any league that gets women to play soccer,if galway have as you say established players but could not get eleven players to play for their county does not look to me well established.not been well up on galway league how many teams play in your league? and how many teams from galway play in the roscommon league?how do we develop soccer for youth then inthe west then when some clubs just want to pick the best players from their county and forget the rest? if you win the irish cup as a league team can they rep ireland in europe? (and i support league teams in this cup) and lastly how many established league teams are in the west?so before we knock anyone lets get our own house in order and put real plans forward.

Pasta
14/04/2006, 10:07 AM
currently twelve teams in the league...improving every yr and galway league encourages teams to develop underage....as for underage...salthill have best underage girls team in ireland so this side of west is pulling its weight. i am involved in the redevelopment of soccer in galway and changes will be made. as for the county team, i think u need to build a bridge, the competion was not that appealing to players that have training nearly seven nights aweek up in dublin for training at wkends and in between having a to travel to roscommon(or were ever) for a game just didnt suit. county team is focused on summer league and irish cup, as yes they do go to europe.

rasper
14/04/2006, 5:45 PM
hi pasta do you speak on behalf of the league when you say that inter league cup is not for most players in galway still waiting on how many teams play in roscommon league from galway.salthill are a good team with great players what would be the next best team in galway at underage level.liford in clare are also very good but was no other team in clare.to develop the game one team can not pick the best players and forget the rest, and this is not the club's fault if this happens but people that run it. in mayo there are 14 teams in senior any eight of these teams could win this years league at under age mayo won the sheild in cork at under 14 last year.ballina when to all-ireland final ballinrobe were in another all-ireland at under 16 nothing wrong with girls/womens football in the west but if we do not try to help ourself's don't expect others to help us.so good luck with galway and the rest of your season and you are all welcome to castlebar on monday april 17 to watch mayo and clare kick-off is at 2.30

rasper
17/04/2006, 11:03 PM
mayo beat clare today in milebush in the final of the inter county league cup.well done to all teams involved and all the people that helped out during the running of this league, to the noel bohan family for the cup and the players that took part during the league.

Number9
18/04/2006, 2:00 PM
Congratulations on your victory. Lifford (Clare League) are always a very strong outfit at Ladies level.
If the underage league is not well established, then Salthill Devon will attract the best talent in the Galway area, perhaps from further afield. Their facilities are suberb and they are already successful at national level. Galway parents who have no affilliation to a club will take their girls to SD. If there is a good structure in place and the club don't adopt a policy of "cherry picking" (officially or unofficially), they will go from strength to strength.
Lakewood in Cork also have superb facilities but compete in a very established league. They are successful at local and provincial levels but a national title is eluding them. The solid underage structure already in place coupled with their superb facilities and success on the field will ensure that most girls (and parents) in their local area (Ovens/Ballincollig) will make Lakewood their first choice.
Facilities are certainly not the deciding factor when electing to join Stella Maris in Dublin. Only recently formed the underage girls have already won national titles. IMO, Stella can still "cherry pick" as there are not enough teams to compete with them in Dublin - Raheny, Templeougue possibly. Success breeds success as they say. But if Stella haven't gotten the proper structures in place before there is real competition for them, then I think that they may struggle in the future.
This would bring us back to Lifford, the most successful underage girls club in the country bar none. However, there is now a Clare League, a Limerick League and a Tipperary League. Suddenly, they cannot cherry pick from a huge catchement area like they once did. The underage girls structure has not changed and so the Lifford trophy cabinet will not be as full as it used to be. The past pupils are the current ladies team, so success at Ladies level is assured for several more years. I guess that what I am trying to say is that a club can never rest on it's laurels, it must constantly strive for improvements. If SD adopt the underage Lifford model of the 90s and early 00s, then their success at underage level will be short lived. IMO SD will not fall into the trap.

Number9
24/04/2006, 12:22 PM
mayo beat clare today in milebush in the final of the inter county league cup.

rasper, what was the real score of this match. i have heard various reports - from 1 nil to 12 (twelve) goals to 1?????

rasper
25/04/2006, 10:21 PM
some times you play good and lose sometimes you play bad and win but on bankholiday mayo played good and won. mayo were up for this game clare had beaten them already in the league when they had not played very bad but didn't get the breaks that clare got(2-1).no team wants to win by big scores and mayo are no different they were up 5-0 by half-time playing with the breeze.mayo changed every player on the field bar the goalie during this match and maybe it is easyier when you are winning to play well but mayo did just that with every player that came on with the subs putting away another five in the second half clare did get a late goal but mayo ran out easy winners on ascore line of 10 - 1 maybe on aother day it would have been closer but i think that mayo would have won anyway

rasper
14/05/2006, 8:49 AM
teams for the inter county league 2007 are now being acceped so if you are with a COUNTY TEAM why not send me a pm and i will let you have all the details this is not a club league.

pool 7
03/06/2006, 9:27 AM
hi rasper.could you give any info.on inter league e.g dates, structure,teams etc.

rasper
04/06/2006, 10:47 PM
the date's are not set yet it is a county team league. every team play's each other home and away the top two teams this year played in the final.this year was the first time it was ran.it is hoped to sit down with 8-10 league teams and set out the plans for the next one. reports are on www.mayowomenssoccer.com

pool 7
06/06/2006, 4:09 PM
Would ye consider playing tournament during july or aug.good preparation for irish cup???

rasper
08/12/2006, 10:13 AM
the inter county league 2007 will start soon it will be only for county teams eg.cork,galway,limerick,donegal,combined counties,mayo,clare,roscommon,
sligo ect when i know more i will post it

rasper
09/01/2007, 4:56 PM
it is hoped this year to have the league up and running by feb i am told

pool 7
10/01/2007, 12:43 PM
Whats the format for the league this year?How many teams etc.