PDA

View Full Version : Rovers and Out

Pages : [1] 2

Breifne
26/01/2006, 1:54 PM
Just wondering if the Rovers (of the Shamrock variety) would be interested in letting the rest of us know about their friendly last night, where they were beaten 2-1 by IT Tallaght. (Former Viking Alan Mulcahy scored from the penalty spot after 5 minutes for the students).

With three former Vikings in the ranks of Rovers (Ray Scully and Robbie Clarke both played, with Gavin Doyle present!!!) they seemed sluggish, and not particularly interested in getting stuck in when they were behind.

They will need a huge increase in their efforts if they are to return at the first attempt, although the FAI might ensure that is a formality at the end of the year.

Pat Scully has a big job on his hands.

noby
26/01/2006, 2:08 PM
sluggish, and not particularly interested in getting stuck in

Sounds like your average pre-season game to me. I wouldn't go reading too much into the result

Passive
26/01/2006, 2:14 PM
Most of the IT Tallaght team were Rovers players who swapped sides for the day. First run out for the lads, no point in looking into it.

Roverstillidie
26/01/2006, 2:15 PM
well as they started training on sunday, and as most of the Tallaght IT (also managed by scully) team are Rovers u18 players, its not exactly panic stations.

so we could also discuss how good Rovers youth system is to pull off that result...

concentrate on your own sides pre-season form and stop trying to **** stir.

NY Hoop
26/01/2006, 2:17 PM
Just wondering if the Rovers (of the Shamrock variety) would be interested in letting the rest of us know about their friendly last night, where they were beaten 2-1 by IT Tallaght. (Former Viking Alan Mulcahy scored from the penalty spot after 5 minutes for the students).

With three former Vikings in the ranks of Rovers (Ray Scully and Robbie Clarke both played, with Gavin Doyle present!!!) they seemed sluggish, and not particularly interested in getting stuck in when they were behind.

They will need a huge increase in their efforts if they are to return at the first attempt, although the FAI might ensure that is a formality at the end of the year.

Pat Scully has a big job on his hands.

The title and the last line are drivel but what else can you expect from a Rovers obsessed CHF fan. :rolleyes:

There is no other Rovers of any variety.

Firstly most fans there knew only two players on view: ex Hoop Graham O'Keeffe and John Lestor. We hit the crossbar and had a couple cleared off the line but wouldnt read too much into it really. At least we played it on the ground. It was the first run out of the season and even had we won 5-0 what difference would it make?

Other things of mention were the ref turning up 40 minutes late and no linesman and Benni played against us.

BTW the result is on our official site and a wee match report is in todays Star for those saddos who are delighted with the result........

KOH

Roverstillidie
26/01/2006, 2:22 PM
NY, you dissapoint me.

you didnt mention there were more hoops at the game than any CHF crowd in history.

a glorious opportunity for a cheap shot missed.

hoops1
26/01/2006, 2:27 PM
Sure there was more people in my house last night
watching BB than ever at one of their games

The Stars
26/01/2006, 2:46 PM
the Sligo variety?

Magicme
26/01/2006, 3:01 PM
The title and the last line are drivel but what else can you expect from a Rovers obsessed CHF fan. :rolleyes:

Firstly most fans there knew only two players on view: ex Hoop Graham O'Keeffe and John Lestor. We hit the crossbar and had a couple cleared off the line but wouldnt read too much into it really. At least we played it on the ground. It was the first run out of the season and even had we won 5-0 what difference would it make?

Other things of mention were the ref turning up 40 minutes late and no linesman and Benni played against us.

BTW the result is on our official site and a wee match report is in todays Star for those saddos who are delighted with the result........

KOH

Why wasnt I told Johnny would be playing?? Was the only nite this week that didnt have a meeting so could have been there. How did he play? Any word on where he is going yet???

Kildare Lad
26/01/2006, 5:08 PM
Is your man Alan Mulcahy that scored for ITT any good? He signed for Kildare County

Sheridan
26/01/2006, 6:37 PM
Is your man Alan Mulcahy that scored for ITT any good? He signed for Kildare County

He's a terrific dribbler and decent all-around when selected, though his reputed "attitude problem" often militates against this.

Jesus, Shams signed Gavin Doyle? That brightened a bleak day! :eek: :D

Magicme
26/01/2006, 9:56 PM
He's a terrific dribbler and decent all-around when selected, though his reputed "attitude problem" often militates against this.

Jesus, Shams signed Gavin Doyle? That brightened a bleak day! :eek: :D

Ach wee Doyler.....get to slag him bout his Sinatra impersonations for another year!

Gerrit
26/01/2006, 11:07 PM
Is IT Tallaght a team competing in a league or a once-off team gathered for this one game?

In theory the result is a shameful one, but what the heck. These games are no more than warm-ups after a few days of training.
What ground was it played on?

Breifne
27/01/2006, 12:10 AM
his reputed "attitude problem" often

Think its a bit unfair to call it an attitude problem, he had a falling out of sorts with Keely, i think over the World Student Games, he was supposed to be the squad, and was talked out of it by Keely (or so the story goes), then he was a bit upset, Keely thought he was sulking, and he ended up playing only five or ten minutes during the entire time he would have been in Turkey.

I think anyone would be ****ed off to miss out on a major international (albeit low profile) tournament for ten minutes in Century Homes Park (no offence to Monaghan, but its hardly Izmir, Turkey in August).

BohsFans
27/01/2006, 1:02 AM
Rovers (of the Shamrock variety) were beaten 2-1 by IT Tallaght.

:D :D Brilliant :D

coislaoi
27/01/2006, 9:49 AM

That's patronising to say the least. It could of course be argued that there is only one "Rovers" that is Sligo seeing that they are in the premier division and you are not.:eek:

NY Hoop
27/01/2006, 10:15 AM
That's patronising to say the least. It could of course be argued that there is only one "Rovers" that is Sligo seeing that they are in the premier division and you are not.:eek:

Where do you think they got the name from son?

KOH

coislaoi
27/01/2006, 10:55 AM
Where do you think they got the name from son?

KOH

What a clever response.:rolleyes: All the other teams with a "Rovers" appendage took their name from the real "Rovers" did they?:confused:

NY Hoop
27/01/2006, 11:15 AM
What a clever response.:rolleyes: All the other teams with a "Rovers" appendage took their name from the real "Rovers" did they?:confused:

Where did I say "all"?

KOH

ThatGuy
27/01/2006, 11:20 AM
I'm a Bohs fan so obviously if I amn't overly keen on Rovers (and the feeling of course is mutual) but I am getting fed up of coming on here and reading trivial threads looking for any reason to attack their club. Every thread seems to either be a stupid attack on their club, or something unrelated which descends into an attack on their club. I'm all up for banter about Rovers and having a go at them if or when they deserve it (as they will do to Bohs and every club will do to eachother) but it is getting ridiculous at this stage.

NY Hoop
27/01/2006, 11:22 AM
I'm a Bohs fan so obviously if I amn't overly keen on Rovers (and the feeling of course is mutual) but I am getting fed up of coming on here and reading trivial threads looking for any reason to attack their club. Every thread seems to either be a stupid attack on their club, or something unrelated which descends into an attack on their club. I'm all up for banter about Rovers and having a go at them if or when they deserve it (as they will do to Bohs and every club will do to eachother) but it is getting ridiculous at this stage.

I gotta lie down!!

Just goes to show that all boez are secretly Rovers fans:D

KOH

coislaoi
27/01/2006, 11:43 AM
Where did I say "all"?

KOH

I didn't say you said "all". That's what is called a rhetorical question. Do I have to spell it out for you? Blackburn Rovers, Bristol Rovers etc etc etc.....

NY Hoop
27/01/2006, 11:49 AM
That's what is called a rhetorical question. Do I have to spell it out for you? Blackburn Rovers, Bristol Rovers etc etc etc.....

You're obviously slow or swallowing mastitis. So I will have to spell it out for you. Sometimes a club will call itself after a big club. Sligo for example in this country.

When anyone mentions Rovers its obvious who they are referring to. And its not blackburn. Stop watching den tv and go to school

KOH

coislaoi
27/01/2006, 2:05 PM
You're obviously slow or swallowing mastitis. So I will have to spell it out for you. Sometimes a club will call itself after a big club. Sligo for example in this country.

When anyone mentions Rovers its obvious who they are referring to. And its not blackburn. Stop watching den tv and go to school

KOH

So Shamrock Rovers did not call itself after any "Rovers" that came before it's foundation? Btw' always resort to personal insults when trying to get your point across - it always works.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is only one "Rovers" in the premier division so those of us that support clubs in that division will know who we are talking about.

Shouldn't you be spending your time browsing the 1st division forums?

NY Hoop
27/01/2006, 2:16 PM
So Shamrock Rovers did not call itself after any "Rovers" that came before it's foundation? Btw' always resort to personal insults when trying to get your point across - it always works.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There is only one "Rovers" in the premier division so those of us that support clubs in that division will know who we are talking about.

Shouldn't you be spending your time browsing the 1st division forums?

Shouldn't you be milking the cows or is the chip weighing you down? You can call yourselves Rovers if you want. After all you've used every other name under the sun!

KOH

Réiteoir
27/01/2006, 2:29 PM

KOH

Shamrock Rovers - Founded 1901ish
Sligo Rovers - Founded 1928

So it looks like that the Dublin variety came first and have claim to the title of being known as "Rovers"

Correct me not - aren't Shamrock Rovers nicknames "The Hoops" or "Rovers", whilst Sligo's nickname is "Bit o' Red"?

Just for the record: Blackburn Rovers were founded in 1875, Bristol Rovers in 1897

Roverstillidie
27/01/2006, 2:41 PM
wow, two bozos siding with Rovers.

must be something happy in the cabra water.....

Passive
27/01/2006, 2:43 PM
IT Tallaght only play three or four games a year and are managed by Pat Scully. As I said, most of their team was made up of Rovers players, so this game was essentially two Rovers teams playing each other. So, essentially, Rovers beat Rovers 2-1.

This really doesn't deserve a thread of its own, but I continue to be flattered by the amount of drivel people are willing to post about our club.

thomas
27/01/2006, 3:21 PM
Its also worth pointing out that this is the start of a scolarship arrangement between the IT and Rovers, part of developing football in the community.

Rovers reserves vs. rovers reserves with rovers reserves winning/losing. Flattered that that it as a thread of its own and even happier that it draws more attention to the work Rovers and Pat Scully are doing in the community.

Battery Rover
27/01/2006, 7:36 PM
Jesus, Shams signed Gavin Doyle? That brightened a bleak day!

You must be badly stuck for players if you have signed him.

sligoman
27/01/2006, 7:46 PM
You're obviously slow or swallowing mastitis. So I will have to spell it out for you. Sometimes a club will call itself after a big club. Sligo for example in this country.Yes, Sligo Rovers decided to call themselves Rovers because Shams were such a big club:rolleyes:.

For the record, this sh!te is getting boring now, it's been done loads of times on here and I don't think anyone will change their minds at this stage. Sligo Rovers fans will always call their team Rovers and Shams will alway's call themselves Rovers so get over it!

joema
27/01/2006, 8:14 PM

He was bloody useless for Kilkenny City and clearly didnt give a s**t . Pulled out of every tacke and rarely put a good ball into the box. He's probobly a decent player but clearly has an attitude problem from what I've seen

hoopy
27/01/2006, 8:53 PM
Shamrock Rovers - Founded 1901ish
[/I]

1899 :p Seeing as the interest is so high for our friendlies, maybe foot.ie should do a live feed from our next one

Réiteoir
27/01/2006, 10:54 PM
1899 :p Seeing as the interest is so high for our friendlies, maybe foot.ie should do a live feed from our next one

Took the 1901 date from the Wikipedia entry on the club - so meh

B-Stand
27/01/2006, 11:11 PM
...and 'Rovers' was one of the suggested names for The Big Club when we were founded back 1890. Thankfully, dismissed. Phew!

hoopy
28/01/2006, 9:09 AM
Probably too Irish sounding for your 'foreign' founders:eek:

ConfusedBlue
28/01/2006, 9:32 AM
So whats the story with John Lestor?We hear he still hasnt signed a contract with any club,we're still clinging on to the hope he may sign for us again next season(bring our squad numbers up to 8)!!

hoopy
28/01/2006, 10:50 AM
He looked a bit 'tubby' the other night

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 11:07 AM
IT Tallaght only play three or four games a year and are managed by Pat Scully. As I said, most of their team was made up of Rovers players, so this game was essentially two Rovers teams playing each other. So, essentially, Rovers beat Rovers 2-1.

This really doesn't deserve a thread of its own, but I continue to be flattered by the amount of drivel people are willing to post about our club.

IT Tallaght are member of the Colleges FAI and play a lot more than 3-4 matches a year they play in a League and they also have a Cup competition.
But they do play all winter long and have been playing since September which is why they may have appeared fitter than Hoops 2006.

Gerrit
28/01/2006, 12:59 PM
What is IT Tallaght's usual homeground?

Does Colleges FA have a website?

I think I heard of that league before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's cross-border, isn't it? Queens University Belfast also have a team in a colleges league (and also play in the lowest division of the nationwide Northern Irish league)

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 8:43 PM

I think I heard of that league before. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's cross-border, isn't it? Queens University Belfast also have a team in a colleges league (and also play in the lowest division of the nationwide Northern Irish league)

There are two seperate Third Level organisations.
The CFAI look after non-University Colleges and the IUFU look after the real Universities and associated campuses. I think if you Google them on www.google.ie Gerrit you will find the relevant website addresses. Alternatively you can look for links on the FAI website.
The CFAI website will probably have information on the IT Tallaght home venue.

coislaoi
29/01/2006, 5:22 PM
Sligo Rovers fans will always call their team Rovers and Shams will alway's call themselves Rovers so get over it!

No, you don't get it. :rolleyes: According to NY Hoop, Sligo Rovers have no right to call themselves Rovers as Shamrock Rovers got there first. Sorry now, but you are going to have to call yourselves another name.:eek: Better still let NY Hoop decide what YOU should call yourselves.

Roverstillidie
29/01/2006, 7:19 PM
no, NY Hoop was pointing out that when people in irish football refer to 'Rovers' they mean us, and 'Sligo' they mean you. All the teenage keyboard warriors from sligo will not change that fact.
Your club called yoursleves Rovers after us ffs.

Breifne
29/01/2006, 10:42 PM

IT Tallaght play their home games in Terenure VEC
www.cfai.ie / www.iufu.com (For Universities)
Queens play in the IUFU version which is cross border, the other one (CFAI) isn't.

Raheny Red
30/01/2006, 10:05 AM
I thought it was the Rovers under age side playing??

CLICK (http://www.it-tallaght.ie/about/newsevents/furtherinfo,4992,en.html)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Roverstillidie
30/01/2006, 12:11 PM
I thought it was the Rovers under age side playing??

CLICK (http://www.it-tallaght.ie/about/newsevents/furtherinfo,4992,en.html)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

christ you really must be bored.

we said some/most of the players were Rovers u18, not all.

this thread is pathetic.

Snoop Drog
01/02/2006, 2:31 AM
no, NY Hoop was pointing out that when people in irish football refer to 'Rovers' they mean us, and 'Sligo' they mean you. All the teenage keyboard warriors from sligo will not change that fact.
Your club called yoursleves Rovers after us ffs.

The Drogs were the first "United" team in the league but we are not arrogant enough to suggest that such a generic term is copyrighted to us.

Wake up Shams, the world does not revolve around ye. ffs not even the first division revolves aound ye...

NY Hoop
01/02/2006, 10:29 AM
The Drogs were the first "United" team in the league but we are not arrogant enough to suggest that such a generic term is copyrighted to us.

Wake up Shams, the world does not revolve around ye. ffs not even the first division revolves aound ye...

Stupid comparison. There are a hell of a lot more Uniteds in football than Rovers.

Oh the first division will revolve around us. Wait and see.

BTW we won 6-1 in a friendly last night. Why isnt there a new thread on that by some obsessed CHF fan?:rolleyes:

KOH

Réiteoir
01/02/2006, 10:42 AM
In this case - the petty sniping at Rovers about semantics and naming rights - is undeserved and pathetic really.

I'm all for having a pop at the Poor Little First Division Club (PLFDC) - if it's ACTUALLY warranted.

This however - as shown by the Drog up there - is not warranted.

Surely they should be concentrating on their own club and it's position in the eircomMillions Lottery Draw

Roverstillidie
01/02/2006, 10:57 AM
a bohs fan calling us poor? hahahaha

whats your debt? 1.3m? 1.8m?