PDA

View Full Version : History Made at Mons

Magicme
25/01/2006, 7:08 PM
Sunday dawned like any other Sunday in Monaghan town, children aged 6 to 10 made their way to Astro Park at Century Homes Park for their Sunday morning Mini Leagues and all seemed like an ordinary Sunday. Few would have suspected that Sunday 22nd January 2006 was in fact a very historic day for Monaghan United FC. This was the day when the Monaghan United Women’s team took to the pitch for their first ever match.

From about 1pm the levels of activity at Century Homes Park surpassed the normal Sunday as players, coach, manager and club officials nervously prepared for the women’s debut. The opposing team, Northland Raiders, had made the journey from Newtownards in time and tension was mounting as kick off approached. The team captains exchanged gifts, (thanks Northland for the gorgeous trophy) and Referee John Cagney tossed the coin.

The Monaghan United Women settled themselves well considering it was their first ever game and played some good passing football as the half came to a close. It was unfortunate that Northland Raiders experience shone through and they had managed to snatch 2 goals before the half time whistle. A determined and regrouped Monaghan United came back onto the pitch and within minutes Charlene Graham put the girls back into the game with a well taken free which bounced off the crossbar and landed just behind the line. Jacinta Treanor did her job well and was on hand to ensure that a goal was earned by giving the ball a thump to make sure it stayed in the net!

Unfortunately for the now buoyed up Monaghan women, Northland didn’t take the threatening runs into their half lying down and replied with a third goal to dampen the Mons party. Northland however, hadn’t reckoned with the steely determination and ambition of our ladies and were taken by surprise when Orla Callen brought the game back into United’s reach by striking confidently home to put the game at 3-2. (Nice celebrations by the way Orla!)

Monaghan kept pushing on and came close on a few more occasions but their debut was to end in a defeat goal wise but a victory in achievement. Northland Raiders Manager commented after the game that he found it hard to believe that our team had only been playing soccer together for a few months and still managed to play some really good football.

It was a wonderous occasion and all who witnessed it were well impressed by the standard of football. Women’s football has truly arrived at Monaghan United FC……Watch it grow!

Training is on Monday and Friday nights from 8.30pm at Astro Park at Century Homes Park. Any women interested in joining in please either come along on training nights or contact Liam McCarey (085 1625907) Chris McBride (086 7518321) or Julie-Ann Sherlock (085 7147500).

MANAGERS VIEW- Liam McCarey
The team were superb. They have taken on all the training they have received and showed it out on the pitch. The first two goals we conceded were mistakes on our part but we can learn from that. After all that is the point of these games. We are building up to our first league game in May. The majority of the girls had never played a match before but you would never have guessed that from the display they put on. This was a wonderful achievement in itself. Chris has worked hard to train and gel them together. Steven Funston, the Northlands Raiders found it hard to believe that this was our first ever game. He was surprised at how well we have done over such a short period of time with only 18 girls. Over the next couple of weeks, myself and Chris have our work cut out for us in continuing to develop the team but we are both very proud of how far they have come already. Well done ladies!

PLAYERS VIEW – Pamela Treanor
As the first captain of the first ever Monaghan United ladies team, I was delighted to have the opportunity to captain such a dedicated and high spirited bunch of ladies. When the game began , as it was the majority of the girls first ever soccer game, it took everyone a while to get in to the game.

Half time were heading in to the dressing rooms 2-0 down, but that didn’t dishearten any of us. Everyone of us felt we had more in us.

Some minutes into the 2nd half Charlene Graham hit a brilliant free kick which hit off the crossbar and bounced down behind the line, but just to make sure, Jacinta Treanor (my sister) gave it an extra kick to rattle the back of the net.

Later on in the second half Orla Cullen struck another cracker. In the end we were defeated 3-2 but we feel we may have been defeated score wise but not confidence wise because after our performance on the 22nd, which all the girls should be proud of, we feel we can only learn from our mistakes and with the help of our management team, we can come out on top! Well done girls.

rasper
25/01/2006, 8:59 PM
well done to monaghan ladies on their first match maybe they should talk to aiden and the guys that run the west coast league between mayo galway clare and roscommon to join next season or maybe a match i am sure the would be delighted to play them and help soccer for ladies in that region just a thought

Magicme
31/01/2006, 5:31 PM
We will prob b joining the North Dublin League but would welcome friendlies from other teams. can you give me an email address?

rasper
31/01/2006, 11:28 PM
i will get them to ring you and set up a match asap

hamish
31/01/2006, 11:32 PM
We will prob b joining the North Dublin League but would welcome friendlies from other teams. can you give me an email address?

Did you try Bealnamulla FC - Athlone Town's womens' club??

Congrats to Monaghan United - terrific club.:)

CollegeTillIDie
01/02/2006, 7:34 AM
Well done Monaghan United on the debut of your Women's section.
There are a couple of other clubs you could approach. How about Dundalk City Ladies who are the current W.F.A.I. Cup holders? You'd probably be hammered but it would give you an indication of the level you should be aiming for. :) If anyone from the real MUFC wants a contact number for them contact me by private message!

There's a lot of potential for the Mighty Mons women's club. There are two Monaghan ladies who have played soccer in the W.S.C.A.I. League for Dublin City University, Ciara McGuinness and Ciara Murray and they are terrific players.

Magicme
01/02/2006, 1:15 PM
Well done Monaghan United on the debut of your Women's section.
There are a couple of other clubs you could approach. How about Dundalk City Ladies who are the current W.F.A.I. Cup holders? You'd probably be hammered but it would give you an indication of the level you should be aiming for. :) If anyone from the real MUFC wants a contact number for them contact me by private message!

There's a lot of potential for the Mighty Mons women's club. There are two Monaghan ladies who have played soccer in the W.S.C.A.I. League for Dublin City University, Ciara McGuinness and Ciara Murray and they are terrific players.

Thanks....am currently working with Tom Mohan in developing womens and girls football in the county and had a meeting last week with people from the Dundalk and Drogheda areas with the view to developing the game in the North East so have the numbers for Dundalk City and we have a friendly pencilled in with Moneymore/Drogheda United Ladies for 26th Feb at United Park. Oh and I am from "the real MUFC"!!! :D

Its Ciara Mulligan and Ciara McGuinness. Ciara Mulligan is playing for us and Ciara McGuinness is currently playing football in the States and I think is due home in May but may be going to play pro football in Iceland. If not she will be signing on the dotted line with us hopefully. Our coach is on top of it!

Thanks tho!

Oh Sir hamish got your pm thanks!

Rasper thanks for your help too. We are trying to get things moving and the more friendlies etc we play the better.

Thanks again lads.

Bluebeard
01/02/2006, 3:24 PM
Great work there, I hope our crowd follow suit properly.

I won't claim to know anything about the women's game, and this is mostly conjecture, but would it be an idea to try to get a few friendlies with some of the college teams too - I imagine that they would be getting towards the Cup final end of their seasons and maybe looking for a weekend away team-building type thing. Colleges like Dundalk IT or Athlone IT might provide a reasonably winnable workout, and the likes of the DCUs or UCDs would be a fairly tough proposition with scholarships and the like. You might spot players who could possibly join up on finishing college there too.

Just a thought - add it to my congratulations.

Magicme
01/02/2006, 5:50 PM
Thanks bluebeard. Will bring that to the attention of our management staff at the next meeting! We are snowed under with offers but its all the better. They head to Linfield this Sunday for what should be a cracker of a game.

CollegeTillIDie
01/02/2006, 8:11 PM
Thanks....am currently working with Tom Mohan in developing womens and girls football in the county and had a meeting last week with people from the Dundalk and Drogheda areas with the view to developing the game in the North East so have the numbers for Dundalk City and we have a friendly pencilled in with Moneymore/Drogheda United Ladies for 26th Feb at United Park. Oh and I am from "the real MUFC"!!! :D

Its Ciara Mulligan and Ciara McGuinness. Ciara Mulligan is playing for us and Ciara McGuinness is currently playing football in the States and I think is due home in May but may be going to play pro football in Iceland. If not she will be signing on the dotted line with us hopefully. Our coach is on top of it!

Thanks tho!

Oh Sir hamish got your pm thanks!

Rasper thanks for your help too. We are trying to get things moving and the more friendlies etc we play the better.

Thanks again lads.

Magicme..
Yes you are the Real "MUFC" and glad to see you have the two if not signed actually, one signed and one contacted. They ( sorry to Ciara Mulligan for getting her surname wrong) are excellent soccer players and wanted you to know about them if you didn't already have them.

I know those two from my former association with Colleges soccer. Would like to see the game prosper in Monaghan and maybe even spread further south ;) . Good luck to United in the coming season. I am PRO for the DWSL if you need any help with spreading the word please feel free to PM me here.

Magicme
02/02/2006, 9:24 AM
Deadly CTID! Thanks a million for your support and will pm u and pick your brains....you will be tortured!

hamish
02/02/2006, 11:33 AM
....you will be tortured!

Ah it's all right, he likes that kinda thing:p :D

Don't forget Bealnamulla now.;)

Magicme
02/02/2006, 12:06 PM
Oh behave Sir Hamish!!!

Have brought all the above to the attention of the Womens management team so hopfully things will be moving more this week!

hamish
02/02/2006, 12:16 PM
Oh behave Sir Hamish!!!

Have brought all the above to the attention of the Womens management team so hopfully things will be moving more this week!

Ah, CTID knows I'm only gently slagging him and I'm sure, as before, he'll reply with a good counter punch at my expense.:D

Your information on Monaghan United is mighty. Are the two Gardai still involved with the club? I used to get on well with them when I was in football, tremendous workers for football up there were...like your good self:) (and ALWAYS helpful in providing the ground for matches).

Always great to hear positive from all EL clubs - pity there isn't a weekly football programme like The Soccer Show to display all these positive developments.

Keep in touch with us with the good stuff, young lady. (says Hamish fishing for a friendly wink LOL):D

Magicme
02/02/2006, 12:28 PM
Ach Hamish you oul charmer....calling me young scores you loads of points!! Makes a change from the slagging pm's and texts I get from that young whippersnapper atfconline calling me old!

I should hope my Mons info is on the button, that is my job ffs! We have 3 guards involved and one who had to retire from the club to take up his top position in the fai. Also 2 soldiers (well one retired lately from army) so we are a club run with military precision!

Oh and sir hamish an easier way to get into my knickers rather than praising my club is to promise me Johnny Lester's phone number! :D :D

heres ur salacious wink.....;)

atfconline
02/02/2006, 12:41 PM
Makes a change from the slagging pm's and texts I get from that young whippersnapper atfconline calling me old!

Well, I can hardly lie now can I?

Btw that number I gave you for Bealnamulla before is no good. I take it Hamish sorted you out with a new one? If not I have one that works now.

Magicme
02/02/2006, 12:48 PM
Jaysus atfconline u r like a sniffer hound....as soon as I mention ur name u pop up!

hamish
02/02/2006, 12:51 PM
Oh and sir hamish an easier way to get into my knickers rather than praising my club is to promise me Johnny Lester's phone number!

heres ur salacious wink.....

:eek: :eek:

Now who's misbehaving?? Stop that right now, lass, I'm too old to be getting excited. LMAO. Jaysus, you're gonna end up in the post of the month for that comment and we'll never hear the end of it when the other dirty minded feckers here in Footyland read your comment.

Feck it - I'm gonna have the mods bashing me again for flirting on Footie and all I'm doing is spreading the good vibes around here.

(says Hamish furiously searching for any information relating to Johnny Lester.)LOL

atfconline/Magicme - will chat to the brother in law later about setting up contacts. He's all over the place organising that Scottish trip I mentioned earlier.

off now for a cold shower.:D

hamish
02/02/2006, 12:53 PM
Jaysus atfconline u r like a sniffer hound....as soon as I mention ur name u pop up!

I don't notice blokes but I can say that atfconline is a grand, fit young lad, Magicme - you'd like him. LMAO.:D

(Hamish now in mortal danger from a certain Athlone official:D )

Magicme
02/02/2006, 1:07 PM
Believe me Hamish I know all about ur wee Ray....as he does about me....

sorry but Hamish u really are a flirt...I get accused of it sometimes to but am trying to behave. sorry moderators but when a guy is tryin it on its hard not to respond! Am friendly like that.....:D

hamish
02/02/2006, 1:17 PM
Believe me Hamish I know all about ur wee Ray....as he does about me....

sorry but Hamish u really are a flirt...I get accused of it sometimes to but am trying to behave. sorry moderators but when a guy is tryin it on its hard not to respond! Am friendly like that.....

Honest to God, Magicme, AND no offence, I'm really not a flirt at all at all, just friendly too and like sending good, clean vibes without any over (or under) tones intended.:eek: I'm harmless, I am.

Apologies if I sounded that way.

BTW watch that Ray - he's an awful man.;) though he mightn't like the "wee" remark. heh heh.:D

Hope to Christ Green Tribe doesn't come across this thread 'cos she'll give me an awful slagging.

Was this thread about football??? LOL

Magicme
02/02/2006, 1:23 PM
Aw sir hamish no offence takin....am as bad meself.

Sorry Ray wasnt slagging ya.

hamish
02/02/2006, 1:34 PM
1. Aw sir hamish no offence takin....am as bad meself.

2. Sorry Ray wasnt slagging ya.

1. I'm not bad at all. I'm very good so my....eh....nurse tells me.;) (pity there isn't a halo smiley)

2. Oh yes you were.:p :D

Magicme, do many people use the United all weather pitches for five a sides and suchlike??? Here in Beeslow we have two floodlit allweather pitches and the club takes in a couple of grand a week from them. Great source for fundraising isn't it and promotes the club too,

When I meant five a sides , I meant, y'know, a bunch of people (from banks, shops, factories etc who may just want to keep fit) getting together for an hour's kick-about as opposed to Monaghan United's under age and other teams using it, if you follow.

Oh fcuk, she's sending me a PM - now I'm in trouble.

Magicme
02/02/2006, 1:40 PM
Ha ha...the pm is a nice one...(sorta)!

Yeah our Astro Parks get alot of use but they are separate commercial entity, they only rent the ground from us so we dont profit from them except in that our 8 juvenile teams get an hours training each every week and our mini leagues get 2 hours on a sunday morning. Also brings more people about the club and some even come into the bar for post kickabout drinks and to watch footie on the big screen sky sports enabled telly (trying to promote the place a bit!)

Ray knows the high esteem I hold him in so I know he wont worry too much about it. Call him wee coz he is a wee darlin and being a nordy we use that affectionately not slaggingly! (new word invented!)

hamish
02/02/2006, 1:57 PM
Ha ha...the pm is a nice one...(sorta)!

Yeah our Astro Parks get alot of use but they are separate commercial entity, they only rent the ground from us so we dont profit from them except in that our 8 juvenile teams get an hours training each every week and our mini leagues get 2 hours on a sunday morning. Also brings more people about the club and some even come into the bar for post kickabout drinks and to watch footie on the big screen sky sports enabled telly (trying to promote the place a bit!)

Ray knows the high esteem I hold him in so I know he wont worry too much about it. Call him wee coz he is a wee darlin and being a nordy we use that affectionately not slaggingly! (new word invented!)

Ray is dead sound but I've let him away without a slagging for far too long.:D

Do Monaghan United own those astro turf pitches? I don't get the bit about a separate commercial entity?? Does the money raised from customers not go into the club coffers???

BTW you're clubhouse is awesome. Last time I was there was for a schools international v Northern Ireland in February 2000 and I think the new astro turf pitches were being developed then. I was there loads of other times when Athlone played there too of course and we had loads of college (schools) national finals and semi finals there too. Best set up in the EL - seriously.

I remember when the Mons were in the Premier and I think ye got quite a few 4 figure crowds then. If you could just make that breakthrough into the top echelon again, the club will take off like a rocket.:)

Hamish

Magicme
02/02/2006, 3:19 PM
No we dont own the Astro Parks. The money goes to the business men who set the place up. :(

If you thought the clubhouse was good in 2000 you should see it now! Its been re-furbished and is a really comfortable place for a quiet drink, to watch the footie or as has become really popular in the last few weeks (too feckin popular have only had one Sat nite off in months!) 21st 18th christenings and all sorts of other private parties.

Yeah would be good if we could get back up to the top flight again but not sure it will happen and even if it does how much use it will b to us when the new criteria are in place....

Thanks for the compliments, am proud to be a member of a club with such great facilities and the determination to develop football further to include everyone in the community. We are hoping to start work on developing our 3 pitches at the back so that the our teams have a great training area and match pitches for our Womens and Juvenile teams.

hamish
02/02/2006, 3:36 PM
No we dont own the Astro Parks. The money goes to the business men who set the place up. :(

If you thought the clubhouse was good in 2000 you should see it now! Its been re-furbished and is a really comfortable place for a quiet drink, to watch the footie or as has become really popular in the last few weeks (too feckin popular have only had one Sat nite off in months!) 21st 18th christenings and all sorts of other private parties.

Yeah would be good if we could get back up to the top flight again but not sure it will happen and even if it does how much use it will b to us when the new criteria are in place....

Thanks for the compliments, am proud to be a member of a club with such great facilities and the determination to develop football further to include everyone in the community. We are hoping to start work on developing our 3 pitches at the back so that the our teams have a great training area and match pitches for our Womens and Juvenile teams.

That's a bummer about the astro pitches - incredible money spinner.

Thought those pitches - opposite the clubhouse - far side - were there when I was up there in 2000??

Don't write off your chances regarding criteria - most clubs have not got the facilities ye have. I knw there are other criteria too though.

Magicme
02/02/2006, 3:46 PM
Yeah the other pitches were there but we are going on an upgrading buzz and gonna hopefully put in dressing rooms, dugouts, fencing etc to make it one of the best footballing centres in the country!

Yeah the astro are a money spinner alright but who knows maybe some day in the future we will buy them out!

hamish
02/02/2006, 5:32 PM
Yeah the other pitches were there but we are going on an upgrading buzz and gonna hopefully put in dressing rooms, dugouts, fencing etc to make it one of the best footballing centres in the country!

Yeah the astro are a money spinner alright but who knows maybe some day in the future we will buy them out!

I'll send you a PM later honey:p :D - the Bealnamulla FC mamager has a new mobile number and the brother in law has it written down somewhere - when he gets it I'll PM it.

xx;) LOL

iceman
02/02/2006, 7:38 PM
.......:d :d :d