PDA

View Full Version : Family Guy or The Simpsons?

Hulsey
25/01/2006, 1:00 PM
Which is better?

ThatGuy
25/01/2006, 1:03 PM
Overall it has got to be the Simpsons, probably the greatest comedy of all time. But it hasn't been funny in nearly a decade, and in its lifetime Family Guy has been funnier than the Simspons episodes made at the same time IMO.

But Futurama has been better than FG IMO too.

Dodge
25/01/2006, 1:38 PM
Some of the newer Simpsons are really funny. Probably not as funny as the mid nineties but way funnier than most things.

Family Guy is probably the most joke packed show ever.

I'd be a big fan of boht

aido_b
25/01/2006, 1:38 PM
Im finding it very hard to watch the simpsons since i started watching family guy. I just cant find the simpsons funny anymore!

aido_b
25/01/2006, 1:39 PM
Some of the newer Simpsons are really funny. Probably not as funny as the mid nineties but way funnier than most things.

Family Guy is probably the most joke packed show ever.

I'd be a big fan of boht

I take it thats meant to say, I'd be a big fan of Bohs ?!!??

Risteard
25/01/2006, 2:01 PM
Simpsons.

Hibs4Ever
25/01/2006, 2:16 PM
Although both are quality, you really can't compare 3 series of Family Guy to the Simpsons

jebus
25/01/2006, 2:52 PM
If you put the three best series (series 5,6,7 anyone?) of the Simpsons up against the three series of Family Guy than the Simpsons would win hands down. That said the Simpsons has gone on 5 years too long in my opinion, the last few years they've barely been able to get a smirk out of me, so in that way Family Guy has them beaten cause in the last couple of years Family Guy has had me rolling on the ground. I pretty much stopped watching regularly about a year after the U2 episode (last great episode in my opinion) and when I do turn it on its enough to nearly make you cry. How they ruined a character like Homer Simpson is beyond me but they've done it.

Also I think Simpsons have now become influenced by Family Guy because most of their storylines these days make no sense, which is where they fall down. The Simpsons were always based on some reality in the glory years, and they just can't pull of this random event comedy that Family Guy can.

Fraid to say it but the Simpsons have gone down the road of Married With Children and have turned a once great show into a parody of itself, Simpsons could have been as well regarded as Seinfeld, but I hardly ever hear anyone talking about the Simpsons as one of their favourite programmes now, Truth be told if you stacked the bad series of the Simpsons up against the good ones the bad ones would have much higher pile.

The Stars
25/01/2006, 3:00 PM
Simpsons.
newer ones arent great but Homer never lets me down with a few laughs and legendary quotes

Pauro 76
25/01/2006, 3:05 PM
Only recently caught on to Family Guy, but very very funny. Cant really slag off the Simpsons but sometimes the cheesy episiodes with a moral (like the Linda McCartney one) can grate.. as well as some of the characters (Lisa, Marge).....

Anto McC
25/01/2006, 5:09 PM
I went for The Simpsons

This has been covered recently by the way
http://www.foot.ie/showthread.php?t=29355

Eire06
26/01/2006, 7:49 AM
has to be the simpsons...
Find family guy ok and will watch it if I come across it but thats about it,
Simpsons is class you can watch the same episodes them over and over again and still crack up at all the jokes

hamish
26/01/2006, 8:08 AM
I think Simpsons have gone off the boil a bit lately. Didn't their creater Matt Groening use Married with Children as a template. I've seen some Simpsons episodes which were a total reproduction of MwC.
MwC could be awful crap too but it had the odd, very odd, good episode.

Anyone watching the series Threshold on Sky 1? Kinda bit like The X Files but Brent Spiner (formerly Data in Star Trek) and the randy dwarf are funny. :D Nothing brilliant about it but it passes an hour or so.

Poor Student
26/01/2006, 10:04 AM
I think Simpsons have gone off the boil a bit lately. Didn't their creater Matt Groening use Married with Children as a template. I've seen some Simpsons episodes which were a total reproduction of MwC.
MwC could be awful crap too but it had the odd, very odd, good episode.

MwC was awful and brilliant both at once. Simpsons went off the boil a decade ago now Hamish.

Anyone watching the series Threshold on Sky 1? Kinda bit like The X Files but Brent Spiner (formerly Data in Star Trek) and the randy dwarf are funny. :D Nothing brilliant about it but it passes an hour or so.

I read that series is for the chop. I had intended to watch it due to having Spiner but never got around to it.

anto1208
26/01/2006, 10:28 AM
has to be the simpsons...
Find family guy ok and will watch it if I come across it but thats about it,
Simpsons is class you can watch the same episodes them over and over again and still crack up at all the jokes

get to the docs , there must be something wrong with you not to like family guy

anto1208
26/01/2006, 10:39 AM
the simpsons is the best tv show ever 17 seasons now, thats insane ,4 or 5 hundred shows . homer is what every man wants to be..

family guy is a funnier show though and at the moment i prefer family guy to the simpsons , futurama is up there as well and american dad is pretty good aswell .

they are up to season 5 now in family guy in case any one wants some new ones there's about 20 new shows "available " now if you know where to look :D .

south park is also brilliant , i think it should be compulory for kids to watch it . if more people thought like these guys the world would be so much better

Neish
26/01/2006, 10:47 AM
The Simpsons by a considerable distance. Family Guy is great but it would probably of never been aired if it hadn't been for the simpsons.

I would also agree with jebus & sirhamish, that simpsons has gone of the boil they should off stopped it about 4 or 5 years ago. But this is common with music tv series, and if family guy keeps going 3 or 4 more years I'm sure the same will be said of that.

Eire06
26/01/2006, 11:01 AM
get to the docs , there must be something wrong with you not to like family guy
Didn't say I din't like it.. I just prefer the simpsons...:o

ColinR
26/01/2006, 1:34 PM
would say easily the simpsons. i bought the boxset of the first three series of family guy nearly a year ago, and still haven't bothered to finish watching them yet.

i think family guy seems to be aimed very much at a teenage/adolescent audience, its jokes seem much less subtle than the simpsons (certainly the simpsons when it was at its best).

ThatGuy
26/01/2006, 3:08 PM
If you put the three best series (series 5,6,7 anyone?) of the Simpsons up against the three series of Family Guy than the Simpsons would win hands down. That said the Simpsons has gone on 5 years too long in my opinion, the last few years they've barely been able to get a smirk out of me, so in that way Family Guy has them beaten cause in the last couple of years Family Guy has had me rolling on the ground. I pretty much stopped watching regularly about a year after the U2 episode (last great episode in my opinion) and when I do turn it on its enough to nearly make you cry. How they ruined a character like Homer Simpson is beyond me but they've done it.

Also I think Simpsons have now become influenced by Family Guy because most of their storylines these days make no sense, which is where they fall down. The Simpsons were always based on some reality in the glory years, and they just can't pull of this random event comedy that Family Guy can.

Fraid to say it but the Simpsons have gone down the road of Married With Children and have turned a once great show into a parody of itself, Simpsons could have been as well regarded as Seinfeld, but I hardly ever hear anyone talking about the Simpsons as one of their favourite programmes now, Truth be told if you stacked the bad series of the Simpsons up against the good ones the bad ones would have much higher pile.
Excellent post.

A face
26/01/2006, 3:18 PM
Has to be the Simpsons all the way !! (http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/tvmp3s.cgi?Simpsons=show.mp3)

aberharp
26/01/2006, 3:35 PM
family guy is good but i prefer the simpsons

Raheny Red
26/01/2006, 7:31 PM
Simpsons!

hamish
27/01/2006, 12:47 AM
MwC was awful and brilliant both at once. Simpsons went off the boil a decade ago now Hamish.

I read that series is for the chop. I had intended to watch it due to having Spiner but never got around to it.

Dead right about MwC PS. It's first couple of seasons were tame enough but then it became pretty outrageous - especially Peggy's naughty comments about Al's bedroom performances - very rude indeed. It's a sure sign when US comedies are beginning to flag that you see loads of guests stars added in. The two kids in the programme were good comic actors too especially when they slagged each other off.

Just heard this morning on radio 5 live that Threshold is being discontinued. It had potential but once I saw the girl from Jag brought in last week (and disappearing this week:confused:) I knew there were problems.
Yeah, I watched it for Spiner too and he, the hefty African American leader and the randy dwarf really are carrying the show. The lead lady, while a reasonable actor, is a bit "pasty" for the role. This may sound sexist but I'd have put Riker (from Star Trex) in her place or maybe, Glenn Close if a lady was required.

Same thing happened with Fx channel's Canivale recently. It was scrapped mid way through it's third season in the US and it was finished up here at the end of series 2 - brutally cobbled together ending with loads of questions unanswered.

There's such a tendency now NOT to grow series. If they don't hit the ratings spot fairly quickly they're messed about with and if no immediate success after that, dropped very quickly. Remember the original Star Trek? - lasted three series in the 60s, dropped 'cos of poorish ratings, yet is still shown all over the world and making money.

Too many accountants running the entertainment industry nowadays.

Hardly ever watch the Simpsons now except for the occasional rerun.
Same thing is happening with young bands too.

That Guy summed up the Simpsons excellently above - as he said like MwCthe Simpsons ended up being a parody of themselves.
Wonder how the Rolling Stones are still getting away with it so LOL. The ultimate parody there.

Ruairi
27/01/2006, 11:40 AM
Serious lack of mentions for futurama here.... my all time favourite cartoon..

carnivale was cancelled? that sucks.. everytime i saw it i was enthralled by it, even though i only caught the odd episode and they made very little if any sense..

Hulsey
27/01/2006, 11:47 AM
Serious lack of mentions for futurama here.... my all time favourite cartoon..

Have to say I've only starting watching Futurama regulary over the last week on sky 1 and 2, but it is class alright, but not as good as Family Guy. One of my mates looks the spiitin' image of Peter. It's hilarious

Dazzy
27/01/2006, 8:15 PM

Too many lawyers you mean.:(

Anyway, Love Family Guy and Futurama, Seasons 4 & 5 of Family Guy are great and also American Dad makes you see the funny side of Bush's Right wing gun nuts:p

hamish
27/01/2006, 8:32 PM
Too many lawyers you mean.:(

Yep them too Dazzy:D

Poor Student
27/01/2006, 10:53 PM
Dead right about MwC PS. It's first couple of seasons were tame enough but then it became pretty outrageous - especially Peggy's naughty comments about Al's bedroom performances - very rude indeed. It's a sure sign when US comedies are beginning to flag that you see loads of guests stars added in. The two kids in the programme were good comic actors too especially when they slagged each other off.

When Sky came back from its hiatus in the early (or was it mid?) 90's they had MwC after Star Trek:TNG at 6 I think. I used to watch it with my younger brother and my cousins and it just got more outrageous every week. I'd just want to crawl into a hole watching such innuendo in that company. It's great to watch now when it crops up on re-run in the day time graveyard shift.

The lead lady, while a reasonable actor, is a bit "pasty" for the role. This may sound sexist but I'd have put Riker (from Star Trex) in her place or maybe, Glenn Close if a lady was required.

And old man like you is allowed to say these things Hamish. Tis a pity the show is getting canned, I'm sure the staff worked like blacks.;) Seriously though, if you put Riker on the show he would have to have sex with all females in his vicinity.:D

Same thing happened with Fx channel's Canivale recently. It was scrapped mid way through it's third season in the US and it was finished up here at the end of series 2 - brutally cobbled together ending with loads of questions unanswered.

What in the name of God is that Carnivale thing!? I was flicking through Croatian TV late one night in Slovenia and that show opened up with a possessed woman going down on some fat bird with a bird. All the while some naked 70 year old dude was crawling around outside at night.:eek: *shivers* It looked like the weirdest thing I'd ever seen on TV.

There's such a tendency now NOT to grow series. If they don't hit the ratings spot fairly quickly they're messed about with and if no immediate success after that, dropped very quickly. Remember the original Star Trek? - lasted three series in the 60s, dropped 'cos of poorish ratings, yet is still shown all over the world and making money.

Star Trek being cancelled was a big fcuk up. It was not getting that great an overall rating but it was cracking the young demographics channels wanted to at the time. The third series was also moved to a graveyard slot for some reason. Rodenberry didn't even work on the third series as he resigned in protest. As soon as it went into syndication it did great and the rest as they say is history.

You bet. Plus the American TV market is crammed with too many channels and programmes. It's annoying to know that our TV shows sit at the whim of American TV trends and audiences but they do make our shows.

hamish
28/01/2006, 1:11 AM
When Sky came back from its hiatus in the early (or was it mid?) 90's they had MwC after Star Trek:TNG at 6 I think. I used to watch it with my younger brother and my cousins and it just got more outrageous every week. I'd just want to crawl into a hole watching such innuendo in that company. It's great to watch now when it crops up on re-run in the day time graveyard shift.

I found the blonde "daughter" - Christina Applegate - could be hilarious. The put downs she shared with her "brother" were really under the belt.- in every sense of the term.

And old man like you is allowed to say these things Hamish. Tis a pity the show is getting canned, I'm sure the staff worked like blacks.;) Seriously though, if you put Riker on the show he would have to have sex with all females in his vicinity.

Yeah, but how long will I get away with it PS?? Yep, Riker would have to suffer for his art. LOL

What in the name of God is that Carnivale thing!? I was flicking through Croatian TV late one night in Slovenia and that show opened up with a possessed woman going down on some fat bird with a bird. All the while some naked 70 year old dude was crawling around outside at night.:eek: *shivers* It looked like the weirdest thing I'd ever seen on TV.

Very strange series was Carnivale. I watched it from the beginning and stuck with it but it seemed to be a combination of a 1930s X files, Amityville Horror and anything else that could be thrown into the mix. Totally overstretched itself plotwise and ended up a bit of a mess.

Star Trek being cancelled was a big fcuk up. It was not getting that great an overall rating but it was cracking the young demographics channels wanted to at the time. The third series was also moved to a graveyard slot for some reason. Rodenberry didn't even work on the third series as he resigned in protest. As soon as it went into syndication it did great and the rest as they say is history.

At least in the 60s they didn't end it after a few programmes. Some series seem to need a good few runs to get a bit of a shape to them. Sadly, the ratings wars mean if they don't score after a few programmes they're dumped.

You bet. Plus the American TV market is crammed with too many channels and programmes. It's annoying to know that our TV shows sit at the whim of American TV trends and audiences but they do make our shows.

Another annoying thing is that once a programme format is successful, other networks then immediately try to make poorly disguised copies. This happened with the X Files. I see Sky, too, is aping the US adverts system with six minute adverts dotted into each programme. Thank God for Tivo.

Poor Student
28/01/2006, 6:21 PM
Yeah, but how long will I get away with it PS?? Yep, Riker would have to suffer for his art. LOL

Hamish, you have immunity as the board's dirty old man, you even get your personal avatar and rank.;)

Yep, Riker would have to suffer for his art. LOL

He had a great knack of getting to show female guest around the Enterprise, last stop being his quarters.;)

Very strange series was Carnivale. I watched it from the beginning and stuck with it but it seemed to be a combination of a 1930s X files, Amityville Horror and anything else that could be thrown into the mix. Totally overstretched itself plotwise and ended up a bit of a mess.

What was it about? Care to explain the bearded lady? Thar scene gave a whole new meaning to "unshaved" in that context.:eek:

At least in the 60s they didn't end it after a few programmes. Some series seem to need a good few runs to get a bit of a shape to them. Sadly, the ratings wars mean if they don't score after a few programmes they're dumped.

Speaking of Star Trek, they didn't give its lateest spin off Enterprise much of a chance. Despite not performing near as well as previous spin offs it was still doing better than rival sci-fi but was sent to the knacker's yard. It was decided it would be pulled before they even took a look at the ratings of the improved final season.

Another annoying thing is that once a programme format is successful, other networks then immediately try to make poorly disguised copies. This happened with the X Files. I see Sky, too, is aping the US adverts system with six minute adverts dotted into each programme. Thank God for Tivo.

I absolutely abhorr how many ads they cram in across the Atlantic. Talk about taking liberties, it's astoundingly shocking. What's Tivo?

superfrank
28/01/2006, 6:55 PM
Family Guy is better but the Simpsons is still good.

hamish
29/01/2006, 12:43 PM
What was it about? Care to explain the bearded lady? Thar scene gave a whole new meaning to "unshaved" in that context.

She was one of the "freaks" in the freakshow, I suppose. Basically, Carnivale was a travelling.....er......carnival of sorts who picked up a young lad who developed special healing powers as the series continued and who would eventually take on a demon disguised as a preacher. I think it overstretched itself TBH and wandered a bit plotwise but a brave effort. A kind of X Files with the US depression as the background.

A Tivo is, like Sky+, a box that can record two programmes at the same time and can automatically record your favourite programmes indefinitely. When it works you can pause a live programme when the 'phone rings or you want to make a cup of tea.

pete
29/01/2006, 10:57 PM
I've never got into Family Guy so Simpsons is easily better. I've watched a lot more South Park in the last 6 months & has a lot going for it.

Snoop Drog
30/01/2006, 12:19 AM
For me "King Of The Hill" is better than Family Guy and the last 10 years of Simpsons.