PDA

View Full Version : Cooke Signs Some More Quality Players

Magicme
25/01/2006, 11:09 AM
Monaghan United Manager Mick Cooke continued his squad building efforts when he added a Goalkeeper and a winger to the burgeoning 2006 team. Tadgh Murphy will ensure that Robbie Horgan has tough competition for job of net minder while experienced winger Alan McNevin will also be pushing for first team football.

(picture courtesy Ray Egan – Athlone Town FC)
Tadgh Murphy: Tadgh signed to Monaghan United after spending last season as Athlone Town’s second ‘keeper. He made 8 starts with them and came on in 3 other games. Athlone were expecting to hold onto 22 year old Murphy for the coming season but Mick Cooke has lured him away to fight for the number 1 jersey with Robbie Horgan.

(picture courtesy of Kildare County FC website)
Alan McNevin: Twenty-six year old McNevin comes to the Mons from Kildare County FC having also played with St Patrick’s Athletic, Dublin City and being a member of the Arsenal Youth Team in 1997-1998. A winger who is equally as comfortable up front, it is hoped that McNevin will add some depth and experience to the young squad.

Talking with Mick Cooke this week he is sounding confident that this season will be a big improvement on last. “We started off great last year until we were dogged with so many injuries. With a small squad it was hard for us to put together a decent team with so many of our players out injured. This year if we can stay relatively injury free, we stand a good chance of finishing well up the table.” Mick also said “our squad are younger than last season and at our pre-season training sessions on Saturday and Sunday, they seem hungrier and more up for the job” As Mick pointed out, all the squad have played first team football for their previous clubs and despite being young “some have experienced top level football with Premier Division Clubs (Gannon, Sargent, O’Shea and Robbie Smith) and some played with top English Clubs (Cousins, Cronin, both Leeds Utd, Harte at Sunderland and McNevin at Arsenal) so we are hopeful that their enthusiasm mixed with their experience will benefit the whole team.

Pre-season training started last Saturday and the team will train 4 days a week for the coming weeks and will take on Dublin City on 4th of March at Whitehall in a pre-season friendly with more matches to be confirmed shortly. The start of the season is nearing and Mick, Jimmy Kelly and their squad are putting in the hard work now to try and ensure that Monaghan United regain their magic.

atfconline
25/01/2006, 12:20 PM
Just one thing, we weren't expecting to hold onto him, and he wasn't lured away, we released him!!

Magicme
25/01/2006, 12:27 PM
Just one thing, we weren't expecting to hold onto him, and he wasn't lured away, we released him!!

Awww Shaddup! its sounds more cut throat my way!

sligoman
25/01/2006, 12:36 PM
Erm, more quality? You mean he has signed some quality ones already?:confused: :p.

Magicme
25/01/2006, 1:05 PM
Yes he has signed some quality already.....Andy Cousins, Robbie Smith, Brian Gannon to name but a few! Have u not been reading the updates on the transfer threads then??

Nutter! :D

Ash
25/01/2006, 1:13 PM
Just one thing, we weren't expecting
to hold onto him, and he wasn't lured away, we released him!!

I was just about to say the same.

Having said that, I wish Tadgh all the best with Mons
(except against us of course!). He's a decent keeper and
a sound fella too. Always one to appreciate the fans, be it
1000 or 10 that turn up to the games.

Magicme
25/01/2006, 1:16 PM
yeah Ash am aware he was released but last nite at 12 after a long day of meetings and stuff my brain was barely functioning so was trying to give it a bit of cut throat spin to make it look good.

Sorry bout that....maybe I should be a journalist....are the Herald looking for anyone??

:D

Ash
25/01/2006, 1:42 PM
maybe I should be a journalist....are the Herald looking for anyone??
:D

Make it more dramatic ...
Mickey O'Connor and Mick Cooke battled in a fight to the death
to secure the services of Tadgh Murphy for the 2006 season.
Cooke eventually won by pulling O'Connors lower lip over his
forehead and forcing the Athlone man to swallow himself.

Then in tiny print ...
Later, eye witnesses revealed that they had not actually witnessed
the event and Murphy cited the non offer of contract as his main
reason for leaving the Midlanders :D

Magicme
25/01/2006, 2:17 PM
ha ha very good......but thats really what happened anyway!

Dont mind that atfconline bloke sure he knows nothing about athlone....he only pretends to so he can buy himself some mates!

Ash
25/01/2006, 4:00 PM
I just copped that ye have signed Alan McNevin and Shane Harte
aswell. Get ready for the "Athlone Reject" chants

Dodge
25/01/2006, 4:11 PM
And they were Pats rejects before that...

BTW fair play to the press releases. Good to see, makes the club sound way more professional

Magicme
25/01/2006, 6:28 PM
It would be even better if wasnt doing them at midnight shattered tired after a meeting bout developing girls football in the North East! Thanks tho Dodge!

Oh and Ash we didnt sing that at you last season but we could have.....

atfconline
25/01/2006, 7:03 PM

Yeah but sure, no one would have heard ye!

Magicme
25/01/2006, 7:06 PM
If I chose to sing the whole place hears me.....but thats coz I sometimes forget to switch the Mic off when doing the PA......

Ash
26/01/2006, 9:16 AM

Touché :D