PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal vs Wigan - classic game

OwlsFan
25/01/2006, 9:24 AM
I haven't enjoyed a game as much for a quite a while.

Totally open game with Wigan denied 3 legitimate shouts for a penalty and matching Arsenal for much of the game. Reyes spending a lot of the game sitting on his backside with his hands in the air gesturing to the referee. Bergkamp, whom I said at the start of this season was past it (despite Peadar telling me in no uncertain terms that Wenger knew best) , misplacing passes and missing goal chances. A fantastic free kick from van Persie and then Arsenal take the lead in the tie with about 10 minutes left in extra time (ChrisKamara then writes them off) and Wigan, a non league team not that long ago, score a last minute goal that takes them through. Cut and thrust throughout the game and I was frankly surprised by how well Wigan played. I often wonder if Wednesday had given Paul Jewell a bit longer, could he have turned their fortunes around ? Kavanagh once again put himself about the place very effectively.

Only disappointments, small number of travelling Wigan fans. If Blackburn get through tonight I expect a half full Millennium Stadium for the Final and Wenger saying it was all down to the Wigan goalie. He made some good saves but I think Wigan matched Arsenal for a lot of the game which has to be a worry for them. Have they had their days in the sun ? I hope not because under Wenger they have played attractive football but if Henry leaves, I don't see a bright future for them.

george
25/01/2006, 9:36 AM
great game, wigan deserved to go through if only to shut the smug gooners fans up, serves them right for all the "Ole's" with 10 mins to go...

Stuttgart88
25/01/2006, 9:44 AM
I'm an Arsenal fan & I agree. I thought the Ole's were tempting fate, just like the Irish fans did when singing "easy, easy" when 2-0 up at home to Israel.

Delighted to see Kav get a chance to play in a cup final & I was totally
p1ssed off at Reyes' persistent diving. I wish he'd been sent off.

Sol Campbell isn't half the player he was.

Really entertaining game.

OwlsFan
25/01/2006, 10:04 AM
I'm an Arsenal fan & I agree. I thought the Ole's were tempting fate, just like the Irish fans did when singing "easy, easy" when 2-0 up at home to Israel. .

I remember that and one of my friends turning round to me and saying, "what the fcuk is that all about?" It's a bit like the chant "you're not singing anymore!" How often does that come back to haunt the chanters?

Yep, great for Kavanagh - well deserved.

razor
25/01/2006, 10:42 AM
Both Arsenal centre halves tried WWF moves on Roberts in the box, both stonewall penalties, I also thought Henchozs clothes line on Reyes was a pen as well. Reyes made a rod for his own back by his inabillity to keep his feet.
Arsenal were the better team overall and battered Wigan until the 1st goal but fair play to Wigan they came out after that and had some good chances.
Roberts got a nice rebound into his path for the goal but stuck it well.
Superb nights entertainment.

Hulsey
25/01/2006, 10:53 AM
Great game! Only drawback was as a neutral was really looking forward to penos before van Persies cracker.

NeilMcD
25/01/2006, 11:52 AM
Both Arsenal centre halves tried WWF moves on Roberts in the box, both stonewall penalties, I also thought Henchozs clothes line on Reyes was a pen as well. Reyes made a rod for his own back by his inabillity to keep his feet.
Arsenal were the better team overall and battered Wigan until the 1st goal but fair play to Wigan they came out after that and had some good chances.
Roberts got a nice rebound into his path for the goal but stuck it well.
Superb nights entertainment.

I think you will find now its WWE as the Wildlife crowd stopped the wresting crowd from using WWF.

razor
25/01/2006, 11:57 AM
I think you will find now its WWE as the Wildlife crowd stopped the wresting crowd from using WWF.showing my age, well you live and learn.

Karlos
25/01/2006, 12:48 PM
No complaints really and delighted for Wigan. Arsenal were a bit unlucky, we had almost double the amout of shots on target than Wigan but the keeper was fantastic and Wigan played very well as a unit. Had Arsenal taken the chances (including the penalty) a last minute goal wouldn't have mattered (even with the two penalties they should have had). But they got suckered again with a long ball down the middle to a big strong quick player - they just can't deal with it. It's happening far too often - Bring back George Graham, all is forgiven!!

This is the one competition where I have an issue with Wenger's selection policy. I believe it's a cup they should try to win from the start and not just when they are 1-0 down after the first leg. The kids did great getting there and should have stayed in the team if that's his policy. There's probably no better learning experience (both physically & mentally) than playing in a semi final with a place in the final on the line. Play the star players from the start if it's all about winning the thing - if not stick with your principle.

Thinking about it today however, I'm almost glad we went last night and not at the hands of United in the final who in fairness owe us one for last year at Cardiff. I think a Wigan - Blackburn Final would be good for the game and a interesting thing to watch.

Karlos
25/01/2006, 12:57 PM
Wenger saying it was all down to the Wigan goalie. He made some good saves but I think Wigan matched Arsenal for a lot of the game which has to be a worry for them. I think this is a little unfair on Wenger who is often accused of being a sore loser. His comments after the game and at the press conference where very warm towards Wigan and congratulated them on their success. He blamed his defence for being naiive and also his attackers for not finishing off double the number of chances that Wigan created - in turn he praised the Wigan goalkeeper for his performance that was exceptional. He never once said the reason we were out was 'all' because of the goalie. Some of his quotes are below

Wenger...on missing out on the Final
"It is a disappointment because we tried to win the game and we did win the game. You forget that. But, it's not so much that we don't go to the Final. It's just the fact that we were beaten a little bit in the same way as at Everton. A ball over the top. To let in a goal with one minute to go, that's a little bit naive with the experience we have. "

Wenger...on conceding the late goal
"Yes, I was disappointed with the way we conceded the goal. It was one minute to go, goal kick to us and we are out of the competition. The way we conceded the goal was naive."

Wenger...on Arsenal's performance
"Wigan played very well. They kept going for 90 minutes and are a good side. We had six one-v-ones with the keeper in that game. So you cannot say we did not play well. We missed a penalty as well and won 2-1. You cannot complain with the spirit. Where you can complain is the goal we conceded."

Wenger...On Wigan's Keeper
"I feel their keeper had a great game. He kept them in the game at time but a night like that can happen"

Wenger...On Wigan
"Good luck to Wigan in the Final"

trevy
25/01/2006, 1:18 PM
Fair play to Wigan,they kept going till the end and got their reward.What a season they've had. I liked their fans chant'who needs Mourinho,we've got Paul Jewell-io:D .

OwlsFan
25/01/2006, 4:20 PM
Fair play to Wigan,they kept going till the end and got their reward.What a season they've had. I liked their fans chant'who needs Mourinho,we've got Paul Jewell-io:D .

Not an original chant though. Heard it at the Millennium Stadium for the Owls vs Hartlepool play off game last year: "Who needs Mourinho when we've got Paul Sturrock-o". I suspect most most of the "lesser teams'" fans have a similar chant.

Wigan had the same number of shots off target as Arsenal (16 vs 16) while Arsenal lead the way on shots on target 8-3 or something like that. It's just a surprise seeing Wigan competing so well at Highbury. This is either because Wigan have gone up many gears and Arsenal have dropped a lot or a mixture of both. I also saw the Wenger interview after the game and that was the only comment they showed. I am sure in his heart he knew it was more than just the goalie that was the difference. The old Arsenal would have wiped the floor with Wigan, good and all as the latter's performance was.