PDA

View Full Version : Paddys Day - Start of 2006 Season

A face
24/01/2006, 8:41 PM
Lads, the start of the 2006 season will happen in and around Paddys day again this year, do any clubs have any plans for Paddys day ? It seems like a great opportunity to get peoples attention as they'll be out on the tear or watching parades etc. ..... It could be a good kick start to the season and might get the ball rolling fans wise. What do people think ??

Conor H
24/01/2006, 9:39 PM
I don't see the advantage of having a game on paddys day. Alot of people who often head up for the 1st game of a new season may be reluctant to disrupt their paddy's day to go watch a match. I can see alot of clubs re-aranging the fixtures to avoid having to play a match on Paddys day.

Anto McC
24/01/2006, 9:56 PM
As far as i know the opening fixtures are starting the week before paddy day because of the break during the World cup!!

Neish
24/01/2006, 10:29 PM
Agree that it would be extremely daft to have the season start on paddys weekend. People that aren't hardcore fans(ie go to most if not all the games they can) will not want to leave their paddy's day plans to go to a LOI game.

ThatGuy
24/01/2006, 10:37 PM
I hope the league doesn't start on St.Patrick's Day. Most people would have weekend plans with their non-EL following friends, family or significant others.

sligoman
24/01/2006, 10:43 PM
I don't think A face means the season kick-offs on Paddy's day weekend. He means that they will be on around then.

The season kicks off on Friday the 10th of March, so Paddy's day is the following Friday.

Patrick Dunne
24/01/2006, 10:48 PM
would be the key to a successful crowd. Most people are off work all day.
Parades etc, will be over at 7.30.

I see no reason why there wouldnt be a decent turnout, as long the clubs put a bit of work into it ;)

sligoman
24/01/2006, 10:51 PM
One things for sure, theirs gonna be a lot of people, extra drunk, at EL matches that night:D.

A face
24/01/2006, 10:59 PM
I don't think A face means the season kick-offs on Paddy's day weekend. He means that they will be on around then.

The season kicks off on Friday the 10th of March, so Paddy's day is the following Friday.

Exactly .... i meant if clubs could market towards the crowd (i.e. large group of people in one place and one time) and encourage them to attend games fro the years.

I mean floats in the parade are obvious, but how much is a fireworks display, and a band in the ground after the game or something? Doesn't have to be that exactly but i'd imagine there is alot you can do to catch peoples attention.

Rory H
25/01/2006, 8:34 AM
One things for sure, theirs gonna be a lot of people, extra drunk, at EL matches that night:D.

:cool:

cant wait

thats going be class craic

we'd have to be away though,cos we dont play at home on friday

bluemovie
25/01/2006, 8:55 AM
That's a huge weekend of sport. The Cheltenham Gold Cup is on that Friday (St Patrick's Day) as well as the GAA club finals in Croke Park. England v Ireland rugby is in Twickenham on the Saturday and there'll also be a full programme of Gaelic football league fixtures and Premiership fixtures. Games will probably have to be played on the Friday as the Setanta Cup starts the following Monday (20th). The clubs should do something to protect their share of the market given the amount of competition (sporting and boozing) that weekend.

Maybe any Dublin clubs with home fixtures on the opening day (the 10th)should try to attract some of the Scots that will be over for the rugby on the Saturday.

BohDiddley
25/01/2006, 9:07 AM
Lads, the start of the 2006 season will happen in and around Paddys day again this year, do any clubs have any plans for Paddys day ?
We're seriously thinking of playing a (very talented) leprechaun in goals! :p

A face
25/01/2006, 9:33 AM
We're seriously thinking of playing a (very talented) leprechaun in goals! :p

Straight out of Darby O'Gill and the little folk !! :D