PDA

View Full Version : Sky Sports to bid for Welsh football

Réiteoir
23/01/2006, 2:41 PM
Sky Sports to bid for Welsh football
Sky Sports are set to bid £7.5 million for rights to show Welsh national games and Welsh Premier League highlights.

The deal will include £1.5m allocated to Welsh Premier clubs to improve their grounds to meet UEFA licensing criteria.

How much do we get from the Setanta / TV3 / RTÉ deal?

Roo69
23/01/2006, 2:45 PM

Surely the eL would command better viewing figures than the Welsh league ? Always thought Sky would try and get over here to do coverage

Poor Student
23/01/2006, 2:45 PM
You can't compare. That deal is mainly to show the national team. The club bit will probably be a 30 mins round up programme. No harm to get that exposure at all but nothing like the deal the eL has.

Rory H
23/01/2006, 2:46 PM

a tennar and a promise that george hamiliton wont come on tv with that beard again

CuanaD
23/01/2006, 2:55 PM
a tennar and a promise that george hamiliton wont come on tv with that beard again
:D :D :ball: :lol:

Rochey
23/01/2006, 2:57 PM
taught you meant trevor welsh there for a minute :eek:

pete
23/01/2006, 4:08 PM

Sky Sports did bid for the Ireland international teams previously but of course RTE kicked up a stink dispite the fact Sky Sports were offering 4 times RTE pitance. I think previously RTE bid 1.5m which is why the FAI accepted the money from Sky in the region of 6-7m over 4 years i think?

hamish
23/01/2006, 10:18 PM
That Welsh language channel has a regular highlights programme each week - crowds are very poor but some clubs have nice tidy facilities.

Usually hosted by a blonde lass who wears leather trousers.:D

Gerrit
24/01/2006, 4:26 PM
Aren't the rights to the Welsh games with the BBC?

A face
24/01/2006, 11:22 PM
Lads, does the eircom League get anymore money from SkySports for the right to broadcast a foreign league in this country. I think someone mentioned it was a once off payment type deal but surely the league would be within its rights to contest that at this stage. I mean the whole deal has changed now, even as regards the amount of hours they are showing live games now.
Shouldn't the league be looking at this now ??

garykelly
25/01/2006, 9:27 AM
Lads, does the eircom League get anymore money from SkySports for the right to broadcast a foreign league in this country. I think someone mentioned it was a once off payment type deal but surely the league would be within its rights to contest that at this stage. I mean the whole deal has changed now, even as regards the amount of hours they are showing live games now.
Shouldn't the league be looking at this now ??

good point. I do know that sky paid compensation that paid for all league clubs to get floodlights in 1993. but i dont think sky have paid a thing since or if they pay a fixed compensation every season(which they should IMO).

If Sky end up covering welsh league games then it's good business from the Welsh FA to package it up with international games. It shows us up a bit that the welsh league will benefit almost 2million euro from it when the entire rte bid was 1.5m which the eircom league clubs would have seen no benefit.

EL Coverage will grow, the league just has to ensure it know it's own worth when it comes to getting a coverage deal.

paudie
25/01/2006, 12:59 PM
taught you meant trevor welsh there for a minute :eek:

At least if Trevor had a beard we wouldn't have to look at all of his chins

paudie
25/01/2006, 1:01 PM
Usually hosted by a blonde lass who wears leather trousers.:D

Nothing except leather trousers?

I'll have to watch that programme:D

A face
26/01/2006, 2:34 PM
good point. I do know that sky paid compensation that paid for all league clubs to get floodlights in 1993. but i dont think sky have paid a thing since or if they pay a fixed compensation every season(which they should IMO).

Definitely should be an annual fee. Who actually was responsible for this once off deal in the first place ?? Who put pen to paper and the whole thing ??

The league definitely have grounds to contest this, without a shadow of a doubt.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 10:47 AM
At least if Trevor had a beard we wouldn't have to look at all of his chins

What has he more chins than a Beijing phone book? :D

hamish
29/01/2006, 4:53 PM
Nothing except leather trousers?

I'll have to watch that programme

Tried to get a picture of her on their website (S4C-Digidol) but no luck. She's allright looking - nothing special but wears lovely tight leather trousers and yes, she wears other clothes also - before you start fantasising.LOL:p :D

LFC in Exile
31/01/2006, 10:46 AM
Tried to get a picture of her on their website (S4C-Digidol) but no luck. She's allright looking - nothing special but wears lovely tight leather trousers and yes, she wears other clothes also - before you start fantasising.LOL:p :D

Digi-Doll? Must get that Channel. :)

hamish
01/02/2006, 12:24 AM
Digi-Doll? Must get that Channel. :)

I presume it's a half-assed attempt to makey uppey a Welsh word of digital like Telefon for telephone over here. Though, in school, we were told that the Irish for telephone was guthan.:confused:

Makes you think though. A small channel can have regular Welsh League footie while our so called national station won't have an EL highlights programme like TV3 does. For GAA fans isn't Breaking Ball gone too yet there's no problem having an eggball programme every week.
Of course there SHOULD be an rugby magazine programme - no problems with that whatsoever - but TBF there should also be a Gah and footie one too.