PDA

View Full Version : Packie McGowan

red arrow
22/01/2006, 5:58 PM
i was very sad to hear that packie mcgowan passed away. this gentleman has being supporting sligo rovers and raising money for the club since the 1930's. for those who are not familiar with him he always stood inside the showgrounds gate selling lotto tickets. he will be sorely missed although he was well on in years his greatest love was sligo rovers. this man deserves a huge turnout for his funeral he is irreplacable i implore anybody who can make the time to pay their respects do so. it would be great to see some young people attend even if yee did not know him personally it would be nice to show some respect. i know for sure that packie will do all in his power to assist rovers all he can now that he is closer to god. himself and mark brindley will be whispering in both ears. god bless packie.

red metal
22/01/2006, 9:05 PM
Ya my thought are with his family. He will be so missed around the showground,s for his fundraising.And he was a pure gentleman god bless him.

gustavo
22/01/2006, 9:21 PM
yea same here . he was a true rovers legend never really knew him but he always came across as a gentleman with a great love for his club.RIP Packie.

Red4Eva
22/01/2006, 11:28 PM
very sad to hear about him earlier. the lotto accounted for about 40% of club's income in recent years&packie was the main man behind selling tickets. for so many years he's been involved going around the pubs on a saturday nite. it's people like packie that keep rovers going through thick and thin. a genuine rovers legend. RIP packie

akearins
23/01/2006, 9:22 AM
Everyone associated with Sligo Rovers and soccer in general in Sligo were saddened to hear of Packies passing.
You couldnt but to admire his committment to the club and dedication to fundraising ,Packie was a familiar face in the local pubs @ weekends lotto selling ticktes. I often seen punters buying lotto tickes from Packie who wouldnt be Rovers fans but the fact that a man of his elder years was giving up his spare time and putting all his energies into trying to help the club adhered them to him and his efforts.
Packie will be a great loss to the club .May he RIP

Redzer
23/01/2006, 9:41 AM
I would also like to add my sympathy on Pakie's passing away. A true supporter for decades, and one of the finest gentlemen you could meet. His commitment to Rovers was second to none. May he rest in peace.

gufct
23/01/2006, 11:20 AM
Mary and all her family.Sligo Rovers owe a great deal to Packie a gentle giant and a true supporter always in good humor and loved the Rovers. When is his funeral?

gustavo
23/01/2006, 11:34 AM
Details here
http://www.sligorovers.com/news/news_reports/2006/20060121_packie.htm

red_away
23/01/2006, 3:31 PM
A great sligo man and a true red - he will be sorely missed - may he rest in peace!

sligoman
23/01/2006, 6:12 PM
Packie was one of the old Rovers legend fans. I'd say their is very little he wouldn't have done for the club, you could see him doing any job. Although I never knew the man personally, I always knew his face when I'd see him in the Showgrounds on a Saturday night. He will be sorely missed and I hope he rests in peace:(.

roversforever
23/01/2006, 8:24 PM
the lotto accounted for about 40% of club's income in recent years&packie was the main man behind selling tickets.
not true.frank beirne is the man who runs the lotto,the season tickets,is on the gate on matchdays and never gets the recognition he deserves.however thats getting away from the point.packie was a great rovers man.RIP packie.

SRFC Head
24/01/2006, 9:56 AM
Packie used to to the donkey work behind the lotto tickets and go from Bar to Bar selling tickets, a pure gent, always bought an extra ticket from him, he wouldn't let me away without buying one...RIP...

nephin
25/01/2006, 9:04 AM
not true.frank beirne is the man who runs the lotto,the season tickets,is on the gate on matchdays and never gets the recognition he deserves.

Frank Beirne is employed by the club. Packie did it on a voluntary basis.
Packie was a true legend. May he rest in peace.

redrov2005
25/01/2006, 4:40 PM
What a great man. He worked tirelessly for Rovers. Simply irreplaceable.