PDA

View Full Version : No Soccer League in Ireland According to the Evening Herald last night

Block G Raptor
19/01/2006, 2:36 PM
Did anyone read the article in the herald about how the Irish are unique etc. etc. One reasons the muppet (cant recall his name ) gave was that we get enthusiastic about every Irish player playing for an english club and then went on to say "Imagine what it would be like if we had our own soccer league in this country". i assume he was taking the proverbial as surely not even a journo could be that thick! could they?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Peadar
19/01/2006, 2:39 PM
Did anyone read the article in the herald...

Does anyone actually read the herald!

finlma
19/01/2006, 2:40 PM
I wouldn't read too much into what that rag says. Rag newspaper with useless journalists.

On a seperate note Block G, how is your post count so low when you've been posting for so long?

Block G Raptor
19/01/2006, 2:48 PM
Punishment of sorts from Big Brother

Roverstillidie
19/01/2006, 2:50 PM
on a similar theme, look what the Indo printed today?!?

Poor standard of women in sport

Sir - I am writing in response to a letter published in this section on the issue of female invisibility in sport.

There is one key factor explaining the low level of women's sport in the national media and that is simply the poor standard of it.

People enjoy watching professional sports on television as they get to witness superhuman efforts at a level which the average man or woman can only dream about.

The 100m men's final is the blue riband event of any championship as the public gets a chance to see the fastest human beings on the earth.

The sight of eight men racing from one end of the track to the other in under 10 seconds is quite awesome. On the other hand if we wanted to see people sprinting down the track in over 11 seconds (like most women finals) why not just go down to Santry any Saturday morning and watch Gary Ryan putting the junior boys through their paces.

Nobody likes watching a match of poor quality in any sport whether it be between Liverpool and Chelsea or a junior B final down the country.

The fact is that most women's football matches fail to even reach the standard of a poor quality junior B yet you never hear calls from the latter for their efforts to be covered in the national media.

It is nice to see Setanta covering grass roots GAA with the girls' and boys' primary school finals, yet if one is to be honest the girls' matches would have been more at home on the comedy channel.

Irish women (especially compared with their North American counterparts) are simply not interested in sport, a fact which is exhibited by current obesity levels.

When the average girl gets up on a Saturday morning, goes off training and then rushes back to catch Football Focus or Grandstand, then and only then should the coverage of their sports increase.

At the moment neither they nor Irish men are in the slightest bit interested (with the obvious exception being beach volleyball!).
Johnny Finegan
Ardmulcan,
Navan, Co Meath

Magicme
19/01/2006, 2:54 PM
sweet jehovah! Hope none of our ladies read that prior to their big match on sunday or they will be too upset to play!

pete
19/01/2006, 3:17 PM
Sure that letter could also be written about the Special Olympics but he didn't have thr guts to do that...

Dodge
19/01/2006, 3:31 PM
Irish women (especially compared with their North American counterparts) are simply not interested in sport, a fact which is exhibited by current obesity levels.
So that's why there are no fat Americans... its certainly not an irish thing (and is absolutely the same in the US). Girls sports are ****. Great when Irish women do well in world/euro/olympic events. I don't consider their medals any different from ones obtained by men but I can't watch any female team events for the same reason I can't watch Gaelic football. I just think they're ****e...

Block G Raptor
19/01/2006, 4:01 PM
Hey RTID why cant you get your own thread and stop hijacking mine
jebus talk about dragging a thread off topic! is it because I is Boez

pete
19/01/2006, 4:13 PM
I must admit i've only ever gone to 1 womens sports. Went to WNBA in NY as had free tickets. Small crowd for such a venue & mainly kids in attendance but got to go to Madison Square Garden. Entertainment was fairly poor too.

Roverstillidie
19/01/2006, 4:57 PM
Hey RTID why cant you get your own thread and stop hijacking mine
jebus talk about dragging a thread off topic! is it because I is Boez

block (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom), its about the independent news and media (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lying)s relationship with reality when it comes to sport. they are totally linked, but you are a gypo, so inherently stupid.

Snoop Drog
19/01/2006, 9:08 PM
I've now seen it all- el fans slagging women's sport because of its alleged "poor standard". Women are excelling in all kinds of sports and to write them all of as unwatchable is stupid.

"When the average girl gets up on a Saturday morning, goes off training and then rushes back to catch Football Focus or Grandstand, then and only then should the coverage of their sports increase.

At the moment neither they nor Irish men are in the slightest bit interested (with the obvious exception being beach volleyball!). "

What the **** is THAT all about? To much silage effluent in the water in Ardmulcan, Navan methinks...

TonyD
19/01/2006, 9:24 PM
Was that letter really from "Sid the Sexist" :D

Roverstillidie
19/01/2006, 9:33 PM
I've now seen it all- el fans slagging women's sport because of its alleged "poor standard". Women are excelling in all kinds of sports and to write them all of as unwatchable is stupid.

"When the average girl gets up on a Saturday morning, goes off training and then rushes back to catch Football Focus or Grandstand, then and only then should the coverage of their sports increase.

At the moment neither they nor Irish men are in the slightest bit interested (with the obvious exception being beach volleyball!). "

What the **** is THAT all about? To much silage effluent in the water in Ardmulcan, Navan methinks...

eeehhhh snoop. it wasnt an el fan who wrote the letter. go back up there and read the context again! we were taking the pi.ss out of the herald/indo's sport coverage....

Snoop Drog
19/01/2006, 9:44 PM
I was referring to Dodge and Pete's comments.

Dodge
19/01/2006, 10:01 PM
Which I stand by. I'm not saying that they've no rights. I'm just saying I won't be watching it on tv.

Snoop Drog
19/01/2006, 10:23 PM
Girls sports are ****.... I just think they're ****e...

Fair enough that you don't want to watch it but I was pointing out that your reasons for not being interested are similar to the reasons given by alot of sportsfans for not watching el.

Dodge
19/01/2006, 11:01 PM
And they're probably right. You'll also note I think Gaelic football is ****

Snoop Drog
19/01/2006, 11:08 PM
Me too :D

the 12 th man
20/01/2006, 7:28 AM
I think tbf that Womens performance in sport has improved a lot in recent years.There are certain sports events that they are at a huge disadvantage because of obvious Physique differeces (football,rugby etc).

But there's no reason to run down the Athletes,Tennis players and the likes.Girl jockey standards have improved dramatically of late with the likes of Nina Carberry(Sister of Paul) and Katie Walsh (Daughter of Ted) among a host of young girls showing that they can give as good as they can get.

LFC in Exile
20/01/2006, 7:50 AM
among a host of young girls showing that they can give as good as they can get.

Would they be lovely young girls now, Ted? :rolleyes:

Oh dear.

A face
20/01/2006, 7:54 AM
Just a quick question .... is the Evening Herald a rag you wouldn't eat chips off ???

LFC in Exile
20/01/2006, 8:01 AM
I can't believe I'm getting annoyed by the letter - but it is so mind-numbingly stupid (along with the responses of Pete and Dodge) that I'd hate anyone to think that it represented the level of male intelligence.

The argument in the letter was about coverage of womens sport. If we only provide television coverage of the elite in each sport we would certainly have no claim to TV coverage of the eL. By extension we wouldn't be able to watch Ireland's international matches if there were two higher ranked teams playing at the same time.

Most elite sports women train as hard and are as inspirational as their male counterparts. This should be recognised and also by providing television coverage it acts to encourage and inspire younger women and girls to emulate the achievements.

Finally, I don't watch Gealic Football either. I don't enjoy it. When its on the television I use that off button. But I wouldn't argue that just because I don't see anything in the sport that it shouldn't be on television. And as for providing coverage of women's sports when they rush home to watch the television - that is a great suggestion for reducing obesity levels. I wonder if Mr Finegan is really just upset that his participation in sport through television might be affected.

Dodge
20/01/2006, 8:53 AM
I can't believe I'm getting annoyed by the letter - but it is so mind-numbingly stupid (along with the responses of Pete and Dodge) that I'd hate anyone to think that it represented the level of male intelligence.

So you're saying I'm not allowed to think the standard is poor and you'd force me to watch it? No one said female sporting events don't deserve to be on TV. I was just expressing my opinion that I wouldn't watch it. How is that "mind numbingly stupid"?

Oh and my comment was aimed totally at team sports

NY Hoop
20/01/2006, 10:34 AM
Did anyone read the article in the herald about how the Irish are unique etc. etc. One reasons the muppet (cant recall his name ) gave was that we get enthusiastic about every Irish player playing for an english club and then went on to say "Imagine what it would be like if we had our own soccer league in this country". i assume he was taking the proverbial as surely not even a journo could be that thick! could they?:eek: :eek: :eek:

Was this last nights herag? Had a quick look at it in newsagents but couldnt find offending article......

KOH

Block G Raptor
20/01/2006, 11:50 AM
Was this last nights herag? Had a quick look at it in newsagents but couldnt find offending article......

KOH

wednesday's 18/01/06

pete
20/01/2006, 11:58 AM
I don't think i slagged off womens sport? I had afterall used free tickets to have empty aread for sport i had no interest in... I'm just into the whoole american fake atmosphere thing.

Block G Raptor
20/01/2006, 3:21 PM
Just a quick question .... is the Evening Herald a rag you wouldn't eat chips off ???

Comes in handy when you run out of Bogroll
that kind of Rag. Just happened to pick it up at the bar in the local the other evening

Snoop Drog
23/01/2006, 9:32 PM
The Aussie Open is really heating up at the moment: Hingis making her comeback, Sharapova not dropping a set, 6 former world number 1s in the last 8.

I don't know how genuine sports fans can dismiss this as being of less worth than mens sports :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
26/01/2006, 4:25 PM
wednesday's 18/01/06

Jesus just got a back issue of the ****rag. By a clown called Chris Lowry under a headline "We're Irish but what really makes us tick":

Patriotism

".........But its most obvious in football. Every Irish player in the English Premiership will have his every move followed closely by fans here at home. Imagine how much interest there would be if we had our own soccer league."

Hardly a shock when it comes down to it. The Independent group has an unhealthy obsession with anything anti Irish and seemingly has zero editorial control as we observed almost 2 years ago when we, and all EL fans, were labelled nazis.

To complain the email address is: herald.features@unison.independent.ie

Or better if anyone has the clowns personal email address!

KOH

A face
26/01/2006, 4:34 PM
Jesus just got a back issue of the ****rag. By a clown called Chris Lowry under a headline "We're Irish but what really makes us tick":

Patriotism

".........But its most obvious in football. Every Irish player in the English Premiership will have his every move followed closely by fans here at home. Imagine how much interest there would be if we had our own soccer league."

Hardly a shock when it comes down to it. The Independent group has an unhealthy obsession with anything anti Irish and seemingly has zero editorial control as we observed almost 2 years ago when we, and all EL fans, were labelled nazis.

To complain the email address is: herald.features@unison.independent.ie

Or better if anyone has the clowns personal email address!

KOH

I'd say they are just trying a poxy stunt to try and drum up some interest. In fairness to allude to not knowing there is a domestic league for a Sports Journo is the same as saying "i am a monkey behind a type writer" (i know you are all saying you know this was the Indos policy all along but now they have confirmed it)

Block G Raptor
27/01/2006, 2:58 PM
I'd say they are just trying a poxy stunt to try and drum up some interest. In fairness to allude to not knowing there is a domestic league for a Sports Journo is the same as saying "i am a monkey behind a type writer" (i know you are all saying you know this was the Indos policy all along but now they have confirmed it)

He's not a sports Journo(many would say he's not a journo) the piece was more of a social commentary

Billy Lord
27/01/2006, 3:31 PM
That incredibly dumb Chris Lowry quote reminds me of one time when I was in the bar in Jury's after a Rep of Ireland game at eggchaser HQ. I was with a group of hacks who were talking about English football, one of whom - a woman - said that it would be great if there were Premiership clubs in countries across Europe. Thankfully, I had nothing sharp in my hands at the time.
Also: I recall some myopic GAA writer in the Turbine referring to Jason Sherlock as someone playing a 'minority sport' called 'Eircom League Soccer'.
Anyone who uses the term 'soccer' should be tossed over the M50 toll bridge.

Da Real Rover
28/01/2006, 11:55 AM
I say that a sustained anti-herald publicity thing should be organised, if its just writing on your work table or putting up a banner at a ground, something has to be done to make the pr!cks feel the burn. Lads take the spray cans out and start graffiting, its free advertising space against the Herald, do it. The same could be done for FAI lure but one thing at a time.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 5:20 PM
It's the Evening Herald folks part of the Independent Group.

Why is anyone surprised?:confused:

Block G Raptor
31/01/2006, 6:22 PM
I say that a sustained anti-herald publicity thing should be organised, if its just writing on your work table or putting up a banner at a ground, something has to be done to make the pr!cks feel the burn. Lads take the spray cans out and start graffiting, its free advertising space against the Herald, do it. The same could be done for FAI lure but one thing at a time.

Im In
Banner is a work in progress watch out for it a ground near you
any Ideas for a catchy Slogan ?

NY Hoop
01/02/2006, 10:03 AM
Im In
Banner is a work in progress watch out for it a ground near you
any Ideas for a catchy Slogan ?

I hope you're joking. Banner would give them more publicity ffs.

Send emails to the editor and find out the journos personal email address.

Graffiti:rolleyes:

KOH

CollegeTillIDie
02/02/2006, 9:11 AM
And they're probably right. You'll also note I think Gaelic football is ****

But Gaelic football is unwatchable....it's only a game for bad hurlers! :D
Women's sports on the other hand are very entertaining. I have attended Soccer, basketball and hockey matches and each of those is less cynical than the male counterparts, with less gamesmanship, technical fouls etc!