PDA

View Full Version : A.g.m

Redzer
19/01/2006, 9:45 AM
The AGM takes place on Monday 30th Jan @ 8.00P.M. in the Radisson Hotel.

sligo1
19/01/2006, 11:40 AM
Hi Redzer,
There is nothing about this or Browne on the Official site.Did you get a letter?I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near 7,000 euro for Browne though - if we did, fair play to Sean.I think we need another 2 strikers - one top quality as we wont survive with what we have.

Redzer
19/01/2006, 2:20 PM
Hi Redzer,
There is nothing about this or Browne on the Official site.Did you get a letter?I'd be surprised if we got anywhere near 7,000 euro for Browne though - if we did, fair play to Sean.I think we need another 2 strikers - one top quality as we wont survive with what we have.
Yes, I got a letter last Monday. The AGM is for members only. If you have 625 euro to spare, you can buy a share and become a member too.

Redzer
31/01/2006, 7:12 AM
Last nights AGM was the best in a long long time. As well as things on the pitch in order, so are the clubs finances. The media will report it better than I can.
One thing which gutted me last night was during the Treasurers report. The question was asked “how valuable was the supporters clubs to Sligo Rovers”?
The Treasurer stated to the meeting that from the 1st of Jan 2005 to the 30th of Nov, the North Sligo Group gave 16,000 euro to the club. The South Sligo Group gave 28,000 euro, and since that have given a further10, 000 towards a tractor and equipment for the all-weather pitch. To the meetings dismay, the Supporters Trust gave just 2,500 euro. The Treasurer said that since that they gave a further 3,000, after the club approached the Trust seeking 4,000 to sign players. The Treasurer was told by a member of the Trust that he had a cheek asking them for money.
This is disgraceful. Both supporters clubs and the 400 club hand over their books to the Sligo Rovers Treasurer so that their finances are recorded by the clubs accountant.
The Trust has refused to show their books to the Sligo Rovers Treasurer when he asked to see them.
I for one will not be supporting the Trust in the future, because IMO 100% of all monies raised in the name of Sligo Rovers should be handed over to the club.
When I see that a supporters club out beside the Mayo border bringing in 28,000 euro , and a club in the heart of the town can bring in only 2,500 it shows something is very wrong.

sligoman
31/01/2006, 7:36 AM
I for one will not be supporting the Trust in the futureHave you ever supported the Trust anyway?:rolleyes:. All you have ever done on here is give out about them so this post isn't surprising.

sligo1
31/01/2006, 7:52 AM
I'm sure somebody from the trust will reply to this.Looking from the outside,I dont think they are up and running that long.They have said that it has taken a while for them to get registered and they have only started looking for members before the Christmas.How did the trust raise the money for the club? As far as I can see they sold a calander and had a race night last year. Basically what you are saying is that they gave the club 5,500 euro out of 2 fundraisers after paying for the expense of setting it up ,legal fees and any costs of the fundraisers.They also ran buses which I'm sure some were at a loss, bought a drum, held a presentation at the end of the season - this is all stuff that's on here and their website - maybe they had more expenses that we dont know about.I think they have done very well for 2 people - maybe there's more - I only see 2 names Gary Kelly and Alan Kearins that reply to posts by the trust.In relation to accounts,I'm sure if there is a lot of legal stuff involved, they might by law have to publish a set of accounts.I think anybody can be a member of the trust so I doubt it if they have anything to hide.
In relation to the other 2 supporters clubs,they are on the go a good while and maybe if the trust go for as long as them, they will raise the same amount of money.
When you say that you are not going to support the trust again, how exactly have you supported them in the past?Are you a member?If you are, then I'm sure you should be able to find out the trust's finances for us, If you are not a member , Why not?Did you buy a horse? Did you buy a calander?
Are you a member of any of the South Sligo or North Sligo Clubs and if you are you should know that it is fairly hard to raise money.
People should offer support and not try to find fault with things and any criticism should be constructive.

nephin
31/01/2006, 8:46 AM
Last nights AGM was the best in a long long time. As well as things on the pitch in order, so are the clubs finances. The media will report it better than I can.
One thing which gutted me last night was during the Treasurers report. The question was asked “how valuable was the supporters clubs to Sligo Rovers”?
The Treasurer stated to the meeting that from the 1st of Jan 2005 to the 30th of Nov, the North Sligo Group gave 16,000 euro to the club. The South Sligo Group gave 28,000 euro, and since that have given a further10, 000 towards a tractor and equipment for the all-weather pitch. To the meetings dismay, the Supporters Trust gave just 2,500 euro. The Treasurer said that since that they gave a further 3,000, after the club approached the Trust seeking 4,000 to sign players. The Treasurer was told by a member of the Trust that he had a cheek asking them for money.
This is disgraceful. Both supporters clubs and the 400 club hand over their books to the Sligo Rovers Treasurer so that their finances are recorded by the clubs accountant.
The Trust has refused to show their books to the Sligo Rovers Treasurer when he asked to see them.
I for one will not be supporting the Trust in the future, because IMO 100% of all monies raised in the name of Sligo Rovers should be handed over to the club.
When I see that a supporters club out beside the Mayo border bringing in 28,000 euro , and a club in the heart of the town can bring in only 2,500 it shows something is very wrong.

To be fair Redzer, i don't believe that the trust have been up and running long enough to generate the money given by the North and South supporters clubs. How much money did they give the club the first year they started up i wonder. I don't see why you critisise them for giving 5500 to the club. It may not be a sustantial amount but it 5500 more for the club to spend. Well done to all in the supporters clubs and trust for the money raised.

akearins
31/01/2006, 9:02 AM
Thanks Sligo1 & nephin for your support as outliend below.

Firts off let me say that at last night AGM a question came from the floor asking how supporters clubs contributed to the club for the financial year just gone, the figures outlined were South Sligo €25000 North Sligo €15000.
These are fantastic amounts and all invlved in both clubs need to be commende on this achievement. The trsust donation was said to be €2500 last year and a further €3000 since.I am not goin to get into what was said after the amount for the trust was mentioned last year, but the insenuation was that we bascially rasie money in the name of the club and are not handing it all over.The treasurer did acknowledge that we donated money to the club but could not say if we donated all money we had as he did not see the books, so it couldnt be reflected in the end of year accounts.The remarks were and are very damaging if supporters interpretation is similar to ones posted on the forum, so I will clarify a few things.

The Bit O Red Supporters Trust was the first supporters trust established in Ireland which is bound by law to adhere to legal standards and rules and by such any misapprotiation of funds can be followed up through a court of law.
No supporters club are bound by such legalities.

The Trust under these laws must publish its accounts.

The Trust under law must appoint an auditor to OK proper financial practice.

The Trust must hold an AGM(which we hope to hold in August)

Now does any honestly believe that supporters of Sligo Rovers such as those involved in the trust would be go to such hassle of establishing such a legal binding co-op if it planned to rasie and then not hand over funds to Sligo Rovers.

Again to clarify matters on the €5500 donated by the trust to the club.
Sean Connors asked for financial support when signing Paul Browne the trust came up with the €2500 he needed 3 weeks after the request.

An appeal to local businesses was printed in the Champion on Wednesday Jan 4th.

Tuesday January 10th the trust met Sean Connors and Sligo Rovers Treasurer, a signed request for €4000 was handed to the trust outlining where this money would go.The Trust donated €3000.
€2000 for players budget.

€1000 was paid directly by the trust to Hybrid Office supplies as an installment for the ice bath in the showgrounds.At the time of payment for this installment the trust had €973 in our account.We promised Hybrid office supplies we would pay the €1000 by end of week and honoured this agreement by paying the samll difference ourselves.

At last weeks meeting the trust agreed to place all minutes of meeting on our website for members to view.Also we decided to palce our financial accounts on the website again so all members can view.Are these the actions of people trying to hide anything.NO.

As mentioned on Trust publicatiosn the trust is a "non profit organisation"

Also to note the trust ran 3 candiadates in the election for the managemnet committee last night,gary kelly,Michael farrell and Graham Monaghan.
There were 11 nominations for 8 places and so the 3 who were not elected were the 3 trust members.Unfortunatley statements made about the trust on the night we believe effected our candidates chances.

Well done to all elected and to the outgoing committee who have left the club in a very secure position both financially and on the pitch.

sligoman
31/01/2006, 9:26 AM
Even though that's all cleared up, I'm sure Redzer will find something else to fault in the near future:rolleyes:. When that time comes, I think we should just ignore him cos he's constantly at it....

sligo1
31/01/2006, 9:35 AM
Out of curiousity, why would the treasurer of Sligo Rovers want to see the books of the trust?Any money that the trust raise and for that matter any of the other supporters clubs, should be treated as a bonus or an emergency fund for Sligo Rovers and not thought of as another source of income that Rovers have a God given right to.
On another note, I am disappointed that not even 1 member of the trust managed to get elected.

akearins
31/01/2006, 10:06 AM
Cheers for the positive feedback lads, not too worry the trust will progress from here.meeing tonight @ 7pm sharp in Tower hotel anyone and everyone welcome so please come along

redrov2005
31/01/2006, 12:21 PM
From Ocean FM Website

Sligo Rovers held their AGM in the Radisson Hotel last night and the key messages were the need for more volunteers and for everybody to get behind the club as they look to consolidate their place in the Premier Division. There were also a number of tributes paid to the late Packie McGowan and Chairperson Michael Toolan announced that the club had purchased a trophy which is to be called the Packie McGowan Cup and the new management committee will decide how it is to be used.

The committee has continued their great work in terms of the clubs finances and the clubs debt has been further reduced from 215,353 to 161,982. The club can also claim to be arguably the only club in the Eircom League with a Tax Clearance certificate. During the presentation of the clubs accounts Treasurer Fergal Keavney said that the club will be aiming to increase turnover this year and that to help achieve this aim they will soon be launching a 20 Draw which will be call Push for the Premiership. They will also be re-launching the Super-Reds and the Dublin Supporters Club and they hope to appoint a commercial manager in March.

Sligo Rovers manager Sean Connor also addressed the AGM and again appealed for businesses in the town to support the club in any way they can and he said that he had talked to the played and that they have decided to dedicate this coming season to the memory of Packie McGowan, an announcement which was met by great approval by all in attendance. He also said that he will be getting a player in on loan from Premiership side Birmingham City and he closed by saying that everyone has their part to play in ensuring that Rovers stay in the Premier Division.

For the first time in a few years there was an election for the management committee and there were eleven candidates vying for eight positions with Jack Carney, Oliver Davey, Loman Gallagher, Dermot Brannigan, Michael Melly, Michael Toolan, Noel McCloat and Daid McLoughlin all elected to the committee. At a meeting of the new management committee which was held after the AGM Michael Toolan was re-elected as Chairperson, Mary McGowan was re-elected as Secretary, Fergal Keavney was re-elected as Treasurer and Dermot Brannigan was elected as the new PRO.

red_away
31/01/2006, 3:26 PM
SRFC have lurched from crisis to crisis for most of our history and its actually very sad the we as supporters (relatively small in number) can be so negative about other members efforts to contribute towards the club - its this sort of negative attitude that will bring us down. Any positive input to the club no matter how small be it financial or otherwise should be commended. Well done both north, south supporters and the trust. Are the people who do the 'moaning' a member of any of these groups? If not that tells its own story!

Red4Eva
31/01/2006, 3:31 PM
it kinda sounds like the MC only questioned the trust to make sure they didn't get voted in. keep up the good work gary, alan and every1 else who actually puts effort into helping sean. i haven't joined trust yet cos i keep forgetting bout it but i have the form filled out for a family membership with a donation on top

Royal rover
31/01/2006, 3:48 PM
:confused: Yes well done to all involved, one thing i would say though is there is little point an having an internal feud between the trust and the supporters club's, reminds me of the internal politics in meath gaa which has been well published recently, the only one that ever ends up suffering is the team.

1 9 2 8
31/01/2006, 5:43 PM
it kinda sounds like the MC only questioned the trust to make sure they didn't get voted in.
Nah the people who got voted in all got voted in because they are all hard working volunteers of SRFC. Every match day you will see them doing some job in the Showgrounds e.g. stewards, lotto tickets etc etc I don't believe their is any conspiracy

Congrats to all who got voted in. Keep up the good work.

Rovers have made a profit three years in a row now and our dept is getting smaller every season. We are the only el club who have cleared our tax this was done by a lot of hard work behind the scenes by the MC

1 9 2 8
31/01/2006, 6:45 PM
I think some people are been a bit hard on Redzer here he is only saying what was said at the AGM. Ever heard of don't kill the messenger lads

The Treasurer was told by a member of the Trust that he had a cheek asking them for money.
Can members of the trust tell me what's the story with this as I find it very disturbing. I have supported them in every fund raiser they have done

Redzer
01/02/2006, 7:10 AM
I’m sorry; some of you have to attack the poster and not the post. As one of the few members of Sligo Rovers who post here, I was informing you out there the facts as were stated on the night.
My opinion of the Trust was not altered by their response to the charges that was put to them. In fact the Trust members did not contribute one positive item on the night, only bringing up past history. This was a disappointment, as I was canvassed on entering the hotel by members of the trust. Who I must say had produced a very nice canvas card.
These, along with other important items will not be reported in the media. So in future I will leave it to others to inform you.
I also feel you should also know the truth behind the Raff Cretaro situation, which was aired on the night. Another shame on people of my town.

marktis
01/02/2006, 1:28 PM
I’m sorry; some of you have to attack the poster and not the post. As one of the few members of Sligo Rovers who post here, I was informing you out there the facts as were stated on the night.
My opinion of the Trust was not altered by their response to the charges that was put to them. In fact the Trust members did not contribute one positive item on the night, only bringing up past history. This was a disappointment, as I was canvassed on entering the hotel by members of the trust. Who I must say had produced a very nice canvas card.
These, along with other important items will not be reported in the media. So in future I will leave it to others to inform you.
I also feel you should also know the truth behind the Raff Cretaro situation, which was aired on the night. Another shame on people of my town.

In fairness now Redzer you seem to constantly attack the Trust. But of course we live in a democracy and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

What was the history that the trust brought up at the AGM?

What is the Raf Crataro situation which was aired on the night?

Ash
01/02/2006, 1:53 PM
Looking in from the outside, and Im open to be corrected on any of this as
I dont know the full in's and out's, it seems to me that the Trust are doing
good work between drumming up support for Rovers (not Shams :p ) around
town, running buses to away games and making contributions to upgrading
facilities in the Showgrounds etc, however thay are being, to a certain extent,
lambasted for not giving the money directly to the MC.

As far as I can remember wern't the old SC given out to for not giving cash to
the MC before, even though the money they raised was used to pay/sponsor
the actual team bus to away games!

Ronnie
01/02/2006, 2:13 PM
[QUOTE=redrov2005]From Ocean FM Website

The club can also claim to be arguably the only club in the Eircom League with a Tax Clearance certificate.

Quality journalism, superb research!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr A
01/02/2006, 2:21 PM
The club can also claim to be arguably the only club in the Eircom League with a Tax Clearance certificate.

Eh? Harps have a tax cert and have had for years. I'm pretty sure that Galway and Shamrock Rovers would have one too.

Terry
01/02/2006, 2:30 PM
Eh? Harps have a tax cert and have had for years. I'm pretty sure that Galway and Shamrock Rovers would have one too.

correct, along with Derry and Drogheda as well

Ronnie
01/02/2006, 2:40 PM
And Longford Town

akearins
01/02/2006, 3:08 PM
"My opinion of the Trust was not altered by their response to the charges that was put to them. In fact the Trust members did not contribute one positive item on the night, only bringing up past history"

Comments such as the trusts "response to charges" and "not contribute one positive item on the night" is a continuation in attempt to damage the image of the trust and should be brought to an end.

The AGM was Sligo Rovers not the Trusts or any other Supporters clubs.Members of the trust were there as shareholders in the club and it was decided before the meeting that this was not the place for the Trust to answer any questions if put to us, as we under the laws of the Friendly Societies to which we are bound by law must hold our AGM and at this any questions or queries for the Trust would be answered.

The trust members who asked questions on the night, which they are entitled to do so as shareholders were valid queries,not "dragging up the past", and a few queries were raised by shareholders (who are involved in the trust)so as to put an end to certain rumours which we felt were damaging to the club, and thankfully these were answered by the club Chairman.

It is a shame that a meber of this forum felt the need to have to post comments which are in no way helpful to the club or supporters trying to assist the club basing their assumptions on unfounded comments made at the AGM.

At last evenings Trust meeting the AGM and comments made at it were discussed briefly, candiadates were commended for putting their nomination forward .Michael Farrell stated that he wished the newly elected members of the committee well in the coming year; those sentiments were echoed by the other members at the meeting.

As far as the trust is concerned we are moving on and will endevour to give our full committment to assiting Sean Connors and the club in teh Premier Division

roversforever
01/02/2006, 3:15 PM
The Treasurer was told by a member of the Trust that he had a cheek asking them for money.

1928 has already asked if this is true.it seems to me that the trust are avoiding the question.so whats the story lads?

nephin
01/02/2006, 3:27 PM

I was at the agm and i do not recall anybody telling the Treasurer he had a cheek asking them for money.

sligoman
01/02/2006, 3:34 PM
Redzer, are you going to answer these questions?
When you say that you are not going to support the trust again, how exactly have you supported them in the past?Are you a member?If you are, then I'm sure you should be able to find out the trust's finances for us, If you are not a member , Why not?Did you buy a horse? Did you buy a calander?

akearins
01/02/2006, 6:56 PM
1928 has already asked if this is true.it seems to me that the trust are avoiding the question.so whats the story lads?

I have attended 100% meeting the trust has had with the club representatives and no point to my recollection or recordeded in any minutes was this the case.
The club has every right to ask for money after all thats what we are here for to support the club so it can achieve success, and we have always honoured any request fom the club which I am sure they would verify.

Lets draw a line under this and move on