PDA

View Full Version : Junior Derby Games in Ireland/Northern Ireland

Thunderblaster
18/01/2006, 6:29 PM
I'm sure that there are huge derby games across the country at junior level. The ones I know would be Castlebar Celtic V Westport United in Mayo, Galway Hibs V Mervue United in Galway, St Michael's and Peake Villa in Tipperary, Clones Town and Cavan Town in the LMC league, Portmarnock and Ballymun Utd in the AUL, Carew Park and Pike Rovers in Limerick. Can you name anymore and which would be the most passionate derby game in junior football in the country. Our friends in NI can also add their big derby games from across the border.

tipp man
18/01/2006, 7:41 PM
St. Michaels v Clonmel Town is always keenly contested and very often more even than the Saints v Peake Villa. Town and Saints always play each other on the last league game of the season which invairably decides the league. Hence, even more spice.

lim abroad
19/01/2006, 1:10 AM
don't think there's much bigger than pike v fairview,always a classic,especially given the success of both teams in recent years

nedder
19/01/2006, 11:30 AM
In Kilkenny, city derby is Evergreen v Freebooters, always a bit of bite in that one

tralee_dynamo
19/01/2006, 1:44 PM
The biggest derby in Kerry would be St. Brendans Park vs Tralee Dynamos, followed by the two Killarney teams (Celtic vs Athletic)...

Raheny Red
19/01/2006, 1:48 PM
Maybe Killester-V-Ballymun - would be a bigger one than Portmarnock-V-Ballymun?

silvercircle
19/01/2006, 2:49 PM
don't think there's much bigger than pike v fairview,always a classic,especially given the success of both teams in recent years

With out a doubt Pike V view...Pike rovers formed in 1938...in the early forties there was a dissagreement within pike and a number of people broke from pike and formed fairview rangers....there were families split down the middle because of what happened..still are..that's what derby's are made of:ball: :ball: :ball:

widow
19/01/2006, 3:22 PM
in limerick, pike v view, pike v ballynanty, pike v carew are all hotly contested games.....you'd have to say pike have done well over the last few years to stay as one of the top teams in limerick considering.

Dirk Diggler
19/01/2006, 4:34 PM
the biggest derby in limerick has always been pike v fairview, but in recent years the pike v carew park and balla v pike games have overshadowed these games. Due to the bitterness by carew and balla towards pike, (it must be out of jealousy) due to pikes successes over the last 5/6 years has created a bitter rivalry between the clubs...... An example of this resentment was shown last season at the closing stages of the season. The league was coming to a finish and it was neck and neck between pike and balla. Carew went out to balla and threw the game, giving balla a major advantage over pike in the league run in, the idiots didn't even realise they could have won the league themselves if they'd won the rest of their games.

silvercircle
19/01/2006, 5:07 PM
in limerick, pike v view, pike v ballynanty, pike v carew are all hotly contested games.....you'd have to say pike have done well over the last few years to stay as one of the top teams in limerick considering.

Condidering what???????

hamish
19/01/2006, 10:38 PM
Roscommon League: Matches between the following Skyvalley Rovers, Dysart, Moore United, Cam Celtic - they're all close to each other. Also, Shiven Rovers v Moylough.
Galway: Sy Bernard's (Abbeyknockmoy) v Kiltullagh Pioneers perhaps. Tuam Celtic v Dynamo Blues - Tuam derby if they're in the same division.
St. Francis v Willow Park in Athlone. St. Peter's (Athlone) v all other Athlone teams.:D

shelbourne1904
20/01/2006, 11:08 AM
In Clare Avenue versus Newtown is always a biggie but no animosity.In Shannon itself you have an incredibly ludicrous situation where there are 4 clubs in a population of 15thousand people.Park Rangers and the original Club Shannon Town play in the Limerick League and Newtown and Shannon Olympic play in the Clare League.Newtown wanted to join the Limerick League but were refused by none other than the FAI on the grounds that if they left the Clare league would be seriously depleted,begs the question then why dont they put Rangers and Shannon Town back in Clare???

Anyway at the moment Newtown are in the Clare Premier and Olympic in the first division ,although topping it and will probably get promoted and that derby will be renewed although Newtown do not cosider Olympic seriously enough to even get excited at a derby and have nicknamed them the Special Olympics!!They have beaten them 3 times in cup competitions in the last 2 years.Shannon Town are in the Limerick First Division with Rangers in the Premier so they dont often meet but there is no love lost between them.
What would be interesting is if all were in Clare they would all,maybe even Olympic,be in the premier and we would have derbies every other week!!

Dirk Diggler
20/01/2006, 11:34 AM
here here put shannon and park back in the clare league where they belong.

l.f.c......
20/01/2006, 11:54 AM
the biggest derby in limerick has always been pike v fairview, but in recent years the pike v carew park and balla v pike games have overshadowed these games. Due to the bitterness by carew and balla towards pike, (it must be out of jealousy) due to pikes successes over the last 5/6 years has created a bitter rivalry between the clubs...... An example of this resentment was shown last season at the closing stages of the season. The league was coming to a finish and it was neck and neck between pike and balla. Carew went out to balla and threw the game, giving balla a major advantage over pike in the league run in, the idiots didn't even realise they could have won the league themselves if they'd won the rest of their games.

dont be stupid and for once stop blaming other teams because pike had throw away a fourteen point lead if i remember correctly pike drew with regional 2_2 and carew park beat ye 2_0 up in the pike field towards the end of the season and even at that ye still had a great chance to win it with home advantage on the last day and ye bottled it again i make out of those three games 7 points dropped. carew park did not throw any game against balla they did put out a weakened team because they were playing in a fai game the week after. so when everyone heard balla scored in the last few mins pike straight away thought carew had throw the game believe what ye like noting about charaville giving balla a walk over in co cork

Dirk Diggler
20/01/2006, 12:28 PM
I remember a former balla man missing a penalty to equalise on purpose and started laughing afterwards, don't know how you can deny that they didn't throw that game, everyone at it saw what went on, even the balla lads said so........Whatever its water under the bridge now, but what goes around comes around

l.f.c......
20/01/2006, 1:43 PM
I remember a former balla man missing a penalty to equalise on purpose and started laughing afterwards, don't know how you can deny that they didn't throw that game, everyone at it saw what went on, even the balla lads said so........Whatever its water under the bridge now, but what goes around comes around

he hit the inside of the post that was some acurate shot to do that on purpose get real please. he started laughing because all the balla crowd were slagging him through out the game he would of loving to score that pen because he was getting so much stick through out the game i hardly think he would miss it on purpose. as you said water under the bridge and believe me what goes around will comes around your right there

Raheen
20/01/2006, 2:31 PM
Roscommon League: Matches between the following Skyvalley Rovers, Dysart, Moore United, Cam Celtic - they're all close to each other. Also, Shiven Rovers v Moylough.
Galway: Sy Bernard's (Abbeyknockmoy) v Kiltullagh Pioneers perhaps. Tuam Celtic v Dynamo Blues - Tuam derby if they're in the same division.
St. Francis v Willow Park in Athlone. St. Peter's (Athlone) v all other Athlone teams.:D

I wouldn't call Kiltullagh Pioneers V St. Bernards a derby,they're from different parts of the county about 20 miles apart. Killtullagh V Athenry perhaps but they're in different divisions now.

Colmanstown V Athenry is probably the biggest non-city derby in Galway. Two progressive clubs based in the same parish (so to speak) and both going well in the premier division. Can only be one winner though.....

Nemesis
20/01/2006, 3:30 PM

not this again, get over it, Pike won't make the same mistake again or will they?

hamish
20/01/2006, 3:32 PM
I wouldn't call Kiltullagh Pioneers V St. Bernards a derby,they're from different parts of the county about 20 miles apart. Killtullagh V Athenry perhaps but they're in different divisions now.

Colmanstown V Athenry is probably the biggest non-city derby in Galway. Two progressive clubs based in the same parish (so to speak) and both going well in the premier division. Can only be one winner though.....

Jaysus I didn't know they were that far apart. Maybe Kiltullagh and Loughrea too???

Are Gurteen FC still going? - that too would really be a local derby with Colesmantown. Throw in CB Trotters too - they're near those clubs as well.

Last time I was in Colemanstwn was about 1997 or 98 and even then they had training lights, dressingrooms and portable dugouts. Gerry Broderick was the main man then (still?) - I used to meet him at lot when we were involved in the East Galway Primary Schools Soccer League. he used to put loads of teams into that league - sadly gone now. There was a pub just up the road from the pitch which sponsored them and still does I believe - think it was called Burkes????

Nemesis
20/01/2006, 3:35 PM

Yes but Carew will not win a league while pike have a chance to set the record straight. its the same few that win it, the view, pike, balla and the boro, if i was to stick my neck out for next season I would put regional and ULAA in for an outside chance.

Raheen
20/01/2006, 4:45 PM
Jaysus I didn't know they were that far apart. Maybe Kiltullagh and Loughrea too???

Are Gurteen FC still going? - that too would really be a local derby with Colesmantown. Throw in CB Trotters too - they're near those clubs as well.

Last time I was in Colemanstwn was about 1997 or 98 and even then they had training lights, dressingrooms and portable dugouts. Gerry Broderick was the main man then (still?) - I used to meet him at lot when we were involved in the East Galway Primary Schools Soccer League. he used to put loads of teams into that league - sadly gone now. There was a pub just up the road from the pitch which sponsored them and still does I believe - think it was called Burkes????

Colemanstown are a good example of a progressive rural club, on and off the field. They did well nationally at underage level last season too. Burkes is the the local pub alright so the memory is still ok. You've also got Gurteen and CB Trotters out that way too although they're at a lower grade. Three thriving East Galway clubs, any further and you're in Roscommon District League territory. Is it fair to say that a good number of clubs in the RDL are from Galway?

Kiltullagh is nearer Athenry, 5 miles, than it is Loughrea so it has the potential for a local derby. Most of the Kiltullagh lads went to school in Athenry so they know each other well and have clashed in the past. Only problem is that Kiltullagh play in Division 2a so they'll not be getting a derby game against the Athenry side for a while :D . Athenry B play at the same level so I suppose that's not a bad substitute.....;)

hamish
20/01/2006, 6:12 PM
Colemanstown are a good example of a progressive rural club, on and off the field. They did well nationally at underage level last season too. Burkes is the the local pub alright so the memory is still ok. You've also got Gurteen and CB Trotters out that way too although they're at a lower grade. Three thriving East Galway clubs, any further and you're in Roscommon District League territory. Is it fair to say that a good number of clubs in the RDL are from Galway?

Kiltullagh is nearer Athenry, 5 miles, than it is Loughrea so it has the potential for a local derby. Most of the Kiltullagh lads went to school in Athenry so they know each other well and have clashed in the past. Only problem is that Kiltullagh play in Division 2a so they'll not be getting a derby game against the Athenry side for a while :D . Athenry B play at the same level so I suppose that's not a bad substitute.....;)

Yeah, lotta Galway clubs in Ros allright. Fair few Athlone ones too.

A friend of mine Tommy Caulfield - played for loads of my teams also played for Kiltullagh - he's retired now. He lives out there with the missus but works in Portiuncula.I think he was in the team that had that FAI Cup run a few years back.

What about Ballinakill and Loughrea?? Ballinakill seem to jump between the Galway and Ros leagues a fair bit.

When Beeslow used to play Tuam a good few years ago it was always a rough affair. Fierce rivalry then. Battle of the Shoms and the Shams so to speak. Think it still goes on in Gah.

Conor H
20/01/2006, 9:17 PM
Ya i had to go out to play a match in Ballinakill there a couple of months ago.I had never heard of the place at al....just that they were near Loughrea.Took us an hour to get there:rolleyes: and Galway Bay Fm didn't work out there!!
They had just came from the Rosscommon league and it was the first game of the season.......We got hammered 5-1:o

As for the biggest City Derby i suppose ...
Hibs v Mervue
Salthill v Mervue-probably the biggest Derby.

hamish
20/01/2006, 9:40 PM
Ya i had to go out to play a match in Ballinakill there a couple of months ago.I had never heard of the place at al....just that they were near Loughrea.Took us an hour to get there:rolleyes: and Galway Bay Fm didn't work out there!!
They had just came from the Rosscommon league and it was the first game of the season.......We got hammered 5-1

As for the biggest City Derby i suppose ...
Hibs v Mervue
Salthill v Mervue

Yeah, I think Ballinakill joined Ros is 'cos they qualified for a Saturday league and preferred to play on Sundays. Cousin of mine plays for them.

I meant to mention the Galway city derbies too - was at a few of them years ago and Jaysus(in West Park), they were derby matches, I'll tell ya. I can still hear that awful "click" when a stud connects with an ankle bone.:eek: Plenty of that in those games.

What about West United and Claddagh Rangers or Galway Rovers or are the latter gone now? They're close enough. But Galway city has changed so much from the late 60s and 70s with the growth of Newcastle and other areas and so many new clubs starting up.

Another occasional derby was Glebe North versus any Drogheda club.

Mullingar Athletic v Mullingar Town - a derby only matched by Rangers and Celtic. Jesus, bad blood there - and that's only the respective officials.:D

Another derby from days of yore was Dubarry FC and B'sloe Town in the Ros. Lge. - fcuking bitter it was, families divided etc. There are still former Dubarry players who refuse to step inside The Curragh Grounds. When Man Utd youths played Beeslow in August 2000, one former Dubarry player - an absolute ManYoo fanatic - wouldn't go the match 'cos he'd have to step into the ground. True story.LOL

Conor H
20/01/2006, 9:44 PM
Hamish Galway Rovers are gone AFAIK.
Any game involving Corrib Rangers in Westside is fun!:D

hamish
20/01/2006, 10:11 PM
Hamish Galway Rovers are gone AFAIK.
Any game involving Corrib Rangers in Westside is fun!

Westside:eek: Ha ha I heard about that.:D

Are Claddagh Rangers still on the go?? Just looking at page 335 on sertel (RTE 2) and don't see them only Corrib Rangers. What's the story about East United?? Any connection with West United??

Hey you Waterford, Cork, Donegal folks - what about your local derbies??:confused:

Conor H
20/01/2006, 11:04 PM
East United is Castle Park....no connection with west United.There originaly from Henry St.Never heard of Claddagh Rangers....i thought Galway Rovers were the only Claddagh side.....although at the moment there is no team representing Claddagh.Although West paly there games in South park which is in Claddagh.

Corrib Rangers are well Known.They had a good run in the Connacht cup and are going well in the premier i think.