PDA

View Full Version : Setanta get Rugby World Cup rights

pete
18/01/2006, 9:43 AM
Reported on the radio that RTE lost the rights to the Rugby Union WC to Setanta. Major sharholder in TV3 is selling up & ITV have first option so will mean more pressure on RTE.

Is this the start of a slippery slop for RTE sport? Will they be like BBC soon shows Bowls & Show Jumping...?

Schumi
18/01/2006, 12:01 PM
Cue Bertie coming up with a pre-election gimmick of getting it back onto 'free' TV.

pete
18/01/2006, 3:36 PM
Cue Bertie coming up with a pre-election gimmick of getting it back onto 'free' TV.

Since its the IRB that sold the rights i don't think the IRFU will complain.

I don't think rugby has enough nationwide support to be big issue although obviously the media will give big exposure to.

With next WC in New Zealand its debatable how much public demand there is for 8am weekday ko so maybe RTE not offer too much cash.

Schumi
18/01/2006, 4:00 PM
Since its the IRB that sold the rights i don't think the IRFU will complain.Who complained about the FAI selling rights to Sky? This seems to be a similar situation.

With next WC in New Zealand its debatable how much public demand there is for 8am weekday ko so maybe RTE not offer too much cash.The next World Cup is in France (NZ is in 2011) and that's the one that Setanta have rights for.

pete
18/01/2006, 4:57 PM
Who complained about the FAI selling rights to Sky? This seems to be a similar situation.

RTE obviously complained but was their own fault for offering pennies to the FAI.

I think that law is seriously dodgy anyway as can reprieve sporting bodies of huge revenues when it should their own choice to decide if want more cash with satelite & less exposure or visa versa.

Dodge
18/01/2006, 5:05 PM
Stupid law. Token gesture at sport in Ireland. If the government were interested in any sport (bar Racing) they'd have invested in it for years.

Tom Humphreys let slip that this weekend's coverage of Munster's game would be RTE's last ever trip to Thomond Park as they've lost the Heineken cupRights. don't know whether Sky has them exclusively or whether Setanta have got the Irish rights...

WeAreRovers
18/01/2006, 5:19 PM

Yup, that seems to be RTÉ Sports fall-back all the time these days. :rolleyes:
The Ryder Cup being the latest event hijacked by politicos despite the fact that the deal was done 7 years ago and was totally above board. And that just falls into the lazy hands of RTÉ Sport.

Dodge - RTÉ haven't lost the Heineken Cup AFAIK, I'll check it out. BTW never believe a word out of Tom Humphries fat GAAhead mouth. ;)

KOH

Dodge
18/01/2006, 5:22 PM
hate the bloke myself, just posting what he said on air...

Bald Student
18/01/2006, 6:52 PM
I understand that Irelands games in the RWC are covered by the free deal. Setanta will, most likely, have to sell those right on to either RTE or TV3.

Dodge
18/01/2006, 9:02 PM
Doubt that to be true. Can't see Setanta wanting it without the Irish games, especially if ITV still hold the UK rights

pete
19/01/2006, 8:59 AM
Dodge - RTÉ haven't lost the Heineken Cup AFAIK,

Sky will soon have exclusive live rights in Ireland. I;m not sure when it starts but means no more live Heineken Cup on RTE but maybe they'll have deferred coverage.

Schumi
19/01/2006, 2:34 PM
RTE will only have deferred coverage of Irish provinces' home and away games in the Heineken Cup from next year I think.

finlma
19/01/2006, 2:44 PM
I don't think rugby has enough nationwide support to be big issue although obviously the media will give big exposure to.

I'm sure the demand to see Ireland play in the World Cup would be pretty high Pete. More people would want to see that than the Ryder Cup I suspect.

pete
19/01/2006, 2:52 PM
I'm sure the demand to see Ireland play in the World Cup would be pretty high Pete. More people would want to see that than the Ryder Cup I suspect.

No chance & i watch rugby & go to the odd game. People with no interest in golf will want to watch the Ryder Cup whereas Rugby WC especially in less accessable time zone does not have the same level of bandwagon support. Rugby internationals don't get huge ratings on RTE.

WeAreRovers
19/01/2006, 2:54 PM
Rugby WC especially in less accessable time zone does not have the same level of bandwagon support.

It's in France and will get massive numbers (not as many as an FAI cup final or eircom League title decider obviously. ;) )

KOH

WeAreRovers
19/01/2006, 3:01 PM
Tom Humphreys let slip that this weekend's coverage of Munster's game would be RTE's last ever trip to Thomond Park as they've lost the Heineken cupRights. don't know whether Sky has them exclusively or whether Setanta have got the Irish rights...

I hate this but - Dodge, you were right, I was wrong. Seems this was all sorted more than 6 months ago.

http://www.ulsterrugby.ie/11_2708.php

KOH

pete
19/01/2006, 3:04 PM
It's in France and will get massive numbers (not as many as an FAI cup final or eircom League title decider obviously. ;) )

KOH

I know. ;)

I was referring to the WC rights in NZ that RTE lost.

Schumi
19/01/2006, 3:05 PM
They lost the rights to the one in France too.

pete
19/01/2006, 3:12 PM
They lost the rights to the one in France too.

Nasty. Will they be able to change the laws in time now? ;)

Schumi
19/01/2006, 3:19 PM
Nasty. Will they be able to change the laws in time now? ;)Depends when Bertie calls the election I suppose.

finlma
19/01/2006, 3:19 PM
Rugby internationals don't get huge ratings on RTE.

350,000 for last years 6 Nations games is big enough - that's 1 in 10 in the country. The only sport to beat it was Ireland's World Cup qualifiers and All Ireland finals.

http://www.medialive.ie/index.html - its somewhere in there.

Schumi
19/01/2006, 3:21 PM
The only sport to beat it was Ireland's World Cup qualifiers and All Ireland finals.
I thought Cork-Derry beat that as well.

Edit: Apparently Cork-Derry got 266k, beating Ireland-Australia. That's probably what I was thinking of.

Dodge
19/01/2006, 3:33 PM
I hate this but - Dodge, you were right, I was wrong.
:D :D

pete
19/01/2006, 3:35 PM
I am only saying rugby doesn't get huge numbers & doesn't get as big a boost as other sports for the big games.

I think Bertie is ok for votes in D4 so may not need to change the law again...

Macy
23/01/2006, 2:54 PM
Who has the UK coverage of the Rugby World Cup? If it's ITV or BBC, who cares about RTE losing it - it'll be Free To Air (properly FTA, not RTE makey uppy FTA), digital, widescreen, without someone who know's nothing about rugby (George Hamilton) commentating. Only difference is not having Hook and Popey, but then if it's the Beeb it'll be Kieth Wood anyway.

btw I thought Ireland RWC games were designated? Or are they classifying Setanta the same as RTE/TV3?

btw2 anychance Setanta bidding for TV3's licence that's up for renewal next year (I think)? Now that would through the cat amongst the pigeons in Donnybrook Sport Department...

Aberdonian Stu
23/01/2006, 3:01 PM
digital, widescreen, without someone who know's nothing about rugby (George Hamilton) commentating.

Only one problem their Macy...ITV have the rights so it will be covered by people who know nothing about rugby. Their coverage of the last two World Cups was shambolic and I'm not expecting great things this time round.

Schumi
23/01/2006, 3:03 PM
The Ireland games are designated and RTÉ (doubt anyone else will be interested) will have to bid to Setanta for them.

I think ITV usually get the rights but I'm not sure about this one.

Aberdonian Stu
23/01/2006, 3:24 PM
They definitely have it, I remember them making a big deal when they confirmed getting them.

pete
23/01/2006, 4:13 PM
I remember around the time SKy got the Ireland football matches was talk they could transmit on Sky One becuase over 1m people had access so might quality as "terrestial" as high enough percentage had access.

If someone else wants TV3 licence then they should get it. TV3 is just like regional version of ITV. Will be interesting to see if ITV or someone else bids for the 45% share those Canadians selling...

Dodge
23/01/2006, 8:37 PM
ITV's rugby coverage has always been awful