PDA

View Full Version : Irish Broadband

Gareth
17/01/2006, 10:19 AM
Alas, its the only option I currently have regards getting broadband in my gf's house. Is it as bad as people say or is it ok?

dahamsta
17/01/2006, 10:22 AM
It's awful, the most complained about ISP on Boards, followed by BT. Their network is atrociously bad and customer service awful, it really would want to be the last resort.

Why is it the only option? Is the house not connected to cable? How about Digiweb?

adam

Raheny Red
17/01/2006, 10:27 AM
I'm on IBB (Irish Broadband) in Edenmore, Raheny and it's super :) .

I did a ping test on sunday evening;

Time=9ms
Time=11ms
Time=13ms
Time=9ms

It didn't know if this was good or bad but I asked on boards.ie and I was told that it was brilliant.

If you do go for IBB - get the Breeze connection and not Ripwave. I've heard Ripwave is just asking for trouble!

Gareth
17/01/2006, 10:41 AM
No phoneline.

Cable is not available thru NTL. I will check Digiweb now.

I was going for the Breeze. Ripwave looks awful.

I am basing this in Artane.

carrickharp
17/01/2006, 12:04 PM
I use Clearwire (live in SCR area) and haven't had any bother with it yet no phone line needed.

dahamsta
17/01/2006, 12:37 PM
Clearwire's network, like IBB's, was thrown together on the cheap and is already having difficulty coping with demand in many areas. I'd like CW myself, but it's not available in Cork and even if it was I'd have to wait until their network has been made more robust.

adam

ccfcman
17/01/2006, 1:04 PM
I have to go for fixed wireless :(

Errorcom at that :( e732 instillation fere and 55 smackers a month for 512/56, but alas our phone exchange hasn't been upgraded in North County Cork [Whitechurch exchange] and It's all i can get, gonna order soon, any other suggestions apart from sattelite ?

Raheny Red
17/01/2006, 1:30 PM
Gareth, Artane is only down the road from me so I'd presume it would be on the same mast. However, their customer service is cráp!:mad:

pete
17/01/2006, 1:44 PM
Any info on Magnet (http://www.magnetnetworks.com/index.shtml).

I quiet like the idea of Phone+Internet+tv all in one however their digital tv add-ons for sky sports are very expensive. Seem to be very limited coverage too.