PDA

View Full Version : Sven and the Sheikhs

joeSoap
16/01/2006, 12:13 PM
ENGLAND manager Sven-Goran Eriksson made grovelling telephone calls to senior players yesterday as he sought to limit the damage caused by his indiscretions to a fake sheik.

He apologised to David Beckham, Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen, among others, after revelations that have dented his image even if they never threatened to cost him his job.

The head coach's main concern was that he might have harmed his relationship with the players and, had that been the case, he might have been forced to consider his position. Fortunately for him, a round of painfully awkward telephone calls, to the above trio and Rio Ferdinand brought sympathetic responses.

"I have spoken with the players concerned today and I have been very pleased with their reaction and am confident my relationship with them has not been damaged in any way," Eriksson said.

The Football Association is standing by its man but the latest embarrassment will have strengthened the views of those who feel that after more than five years in charge, Eriksson's time should be up after the 2006 World Cup finals.

Some in England feel Eriksson was the victim of a newspaper scam. Others are angry he always appears to have an eye on the next opportunity

Risteard
17/01/2006, 8:25 AM
What a tool.
Apparently it was the first time he ever met these fellas and he fell hook line & sinker for every line they gave him.
"I phone Beckham."
The reason you phone Beckham Sven is because he's probably running the whole show.
What a bluffer that man is.
I'm always amazed at the patience the english have with him compared to their past managers.

joeSoap
17/01/2006, 8:46 AM
Ulrika, Faria, and now this. Glenn Hoddle must be wondering why he didn't get to make at least three glorious gaffes..

pete
17/01/2006, 9:54 AM
Shows what a tight arse Sven is looking for freebie holiday in the Middle East. :rolleyes:

anto eile
17/01/2006, 10:41 AM
for an oufella with grey hair and glasses he's a legend with the women
idiot though.had to laugh at that story.
doubt graham taylor would have got away with all these scandals.. i wonder if the fa simply cant afford to sack him?

Lionel Ritchie
17/01/2006, 11:04 AM
The only people guilty of any disloyalty here are the News of the Fcuking World.

I fail to see the scandal in expecting SGE to NOT look beyond managing the seasnaighs.

SGE, the English FA and the players should asking the public to boycott the rag for trying to upset things before the world cup. it's all horsesh1t ...no public interest whatsoever served by the story ...unless you've a vested interest in seeing England slip up.;)

Rory H
17/01/2006, 11:04 AM
doug ellis would kick his ass if he wasnt "old and sick"

sligoman
17/01/2006, 11:07 AM
unless you've a vested interest in seeing England slip up.;)That's the best part of it all!:).

FarBeag
17/01/2006, 8:34 PM
Well that’s one of the delights of the high profile life and Sven happens to lead one of those lives. He is just a greedy B#stard IMO and he should be fcuked out in order to save himself, his players and the English FA more embarrassment.

joeSoap
18/01/2006, 11:44 AM
Eriksson refuses to answer questions about tabloid snare

Sven Goran Eriksson has refused to answer journalists' questions about his commitment to the England international team.
The Swede was asked about the matter this morning after telling an undercover tabloid reporter that he would quit as England coach if the team won the World Cup this summer.

He also suggested he would be prepared to become manager of Aston Villa as part of a hypothetical takeover of the Premiership club and made indiscreet remarks about several England players.

The 57-year-old made the comments to an undercover News of the World reporter posing as a rich Arab.

Eriksson refused to answer questions on the situation today while arriving to launch a football project in south London.

sligoman
18/01/2006, 12:03 PM
From Aertel:

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has called on the Football Association to sack Sven-Goran Eriksson following the revelations in the News of the World last weekend.

Whelan has described the episode as an absolute scandal in an interview with the Manchester Evening News. He said: 'I have criticised Eriksson in the past but there should be no way back from this.

'You simply do not expect the England manager to openly discuss his future plans and to air his views about what he thinks about players in his squad.'

Risteard
18/01/2006, 1:36 PM
Dead right.
Also strange to see all the british papers saying that the media are a disgrace and it's terrible that they're destabilising the camp before they win the world cup.
They're probably just bitter that the News of The World got there before them.

Dublin12
18/01/2006, 2:03 PM
You've got to hand it to Mr.Burns though,the cnut gets paid a fortune,lives the high life in London,gets wined and dined at matches all around Britain and Europe,gets his hole with some half decent looking women and picks a team that really picks itself and any football fan could pick.Nice work alright!

pete
18/01/2006, 4:05 PM
You've got to hand it to Mr.Burns though,the cnut gets paid a fortune,lives the high life in London,gets wined and dined at matches all around Britain and Europe,gets his hole with some half decent looking women and picks a team that really picks itself and any football fan could pick.Nice work alright!

Plus if he gets sacked ill get paid massive compensation so he can get job at Manchester United next season for even bigger wages. Is he human or does he employed the worlds greatest spin doctor?

:eek:

sligoman
18/01/2006, 4:17 PM
Plus if he gets sacked ill get paid massive compensation:confused:, how will you get paid compensation for Sven's sacking?:p.

Hither green
18/01/2006, 4:30 PM
My only disappointment with this story was the comments he apparently made about Giggs. About Giggs apparently regretting choosing Wales over england as he'll never play in a big tournament. As second generation in england I'd used Giggs for years to support my arguments.