PDA

View Full Version : Des Bishop: Joy in the Hood

Pages : 1 [2]

Clifford
26/01/2006, 8:47 AM
Cracking idea for a show, cracking show, Limerick acts were the best so far, fair play to Des for developing their ideas and not just giving them his own material. I think all three areas have come off the same so far, full of honest, earthy Irish people who laugh and live together without the bullshi t of materialism.

Fair play to RTE they are getting better and better.

Risteard
27/01/2006, 9:19 AM
I've watched all three as people were always on about Bishop to me after the Work Experience ("Oh my god man, i've got like €10 to last me for the rest of the whole day." So what Des?)
I've just come to the conclusion he isn't and never was funny.
Overacts the whole thing of being a foreigner as if Irish culture is the polar opposite to the states.
I just find the whole thing a little patronising.
There've been one or two funny stand-ups on it now in fairness, namely the ones who managed to get beyond Des' advice of "Do something about Limerick, Talk about Ballymun" etc.
Things i'm sick of hearing
2. "It's interesting to see peoples reactions when you tell them you're from . . . . . . . . . . . . ." Not anymore, it's not.
no1. Out in his back yard EVERY episode "2 days to go, and i'm a bit piissed off at Dennis and how he isn't progressing."
Rant over.
Negativity released.

CollegeTillIDie
28/01/2006, 11:39 AM
I've enjoyed all the shows. Thought the overall standard in Limerick of the stand ups was best but the young girl from Ballymun was funny. The classic excuses for not having the homework done was really well done 1) I was strung out 2) I had to mind a horse! :D

feo123
28/01/2006, 8:05 PM
this show has been a big dissapointment IMO....was lookin forward to it before it started but couldnt be @rsed watchin it now

Conor H
28/01/2006, 11:11 PM
Anyone else not find Des Bishop funny?:confused:
Bishop is a clown!!
He's possibly the worst comedian going at the moment.....i can't believe people find him funny:confused:

Soko
29/01/2006, 6:00 AM
Bishop is a clown!!
He's possibly the worst comedian going at the moment.....i can't believe people find him funny:confused:

Ever seen his stand up and not these snippets from the work experience or joy in the hood?

He's better than 90% of the Irish comedians out there in a full stand up. I mean if people think Karl Spain is funny :rolleyes:

razor
30/01/2006, 10:37 AM
Went to see him in the Opera House last night and I must say he is funny.
Hadn't seen him live since he was cutting his teeth in City Limits must be nearly 10 years ago but he was hilarious.
Brought 2 of the Knocka posse on and they were grand, very raw but theres potential there.
Tuam tonight should be a laugh.
I do agree that 30 minutes is not enough to accurately portray a 3 week period and a big show at the end.
He said last night that there was a 6 month delay after the Ballymun filming while RTE dragged their ass before they carried on with the rest of the series.
The furore in Cork after the Knocka show by the politicians/do gooders has only succeeded in giving Des another 30-45 minutes of material and its good stuff at that, though it might not be to Neil Prendervilles taste (local 96FM DJ).

Clifford
30/01/2006, 11:11 AM
Went to see him in the Opera House last night and I must say he is funny.
Hadn't seen him live since he was cutting his teeth in City Limits must be nearly 10 years ago but he was hilarious.
Brought 2 of the Knocka posse on and they were grand, very raw but theres potential there.
Tuam tonight should be a laugh.
I do agree that 30 minutes is not enough to accurately portray a 3 week period and a big show at the end.
He said last night that there was a 6 month delay after the Ballymun filming while RTE dragged their ass before they carried on with the rest of the series.
The furore in Cork after the Knocka show by the politicians/do gooders has only succeeded in giving Des another 30-45 minutes of material and its good stuff at that, though it might not be to Neil Prendervilles taste (local 96FM DJ).

Sanity is such a virtue. Summed it up perfectly. Thanks Razor.

Macy
31/01/2006, 7:28 AM
I also think he's good doing stand up. Seen him a good few times pre the Minimum wage programme and always thought he was good. Can't say I've seen him much since.

It's a bit like people writing off Jason Byrne based on his TV stuff - doesn't mean he's not an excellent stand up (imo).

anto1208
31/01/2006, 12:48 PM
des is funny enough , i like his act anyway .

i hate ED byrne the only comedian that can put me in bad form , tells terrible jokes and keeps going and going and going ,

allways reminds me of a nerdy 18 year old cousin that is only cool to 5 year old kids .... him and tuburty tw ats

who keeps putting him on tv

John83
02/02/2006, 6:04 PM
Ever seen his stand up and not these snippets from the work experience or joy in the hood?

He's better than 90% of the Irish comedians out there in a full stand up. I mean if people think Karl Spain is funny :rolleyes:
I don't think he's that great at standup, but he's certainly better than a lot of other famous ones - I think Ed Byrne and Tommy Tiernan are ****e, to name but two. His obvservational stuff about Irish people is usually very good, but he wrings the life out of each joke.

Soko
02/02/2006, 8:17 PM
Tommy Tiernan is ok but you'd swear he was the second coming of christ judging by some of his reviews. Its one of those stand up where you look at your watch and wonder how much time is left as he starts to bore the **** out of you.

nismo
02/02/2006, 9:53 PM
the traveller girl the other day was a fine bit of stuff!

sligoman
02/02/2006, 10:54 PM
Out of the lot so far, I think the Tuam episode was the worst in terms of quality comedians:(.

Ash
07/02/2006, 10:38 AM
Was the Belfast episode shown last night?
I was looking out for it on text but couldnt find it?

adamcarr
07/02/2006, 12:01 PM
Was the Belfast episode shown last night?
I was looking out for it on text but couldnt find it?
No! They had Lost on instead.

A face
07/02/2006, 4:47 PM
No! They had Lost on instead.

So whats the deal ?? When will it be on ??
I missed it too !!

max power
08/02/2006, 10:36 AM
its back next money at half nine, just before Lost.

Clifford
14/02/2006, 3:17 PM
Last nights show was very interesting. Des was in awful trouble trying to get a laugh outta the crowd he was playin to. The 4 guests were poor, ould fake jugs being the funniest.

Next week Derry.

anto1208
15/02/2006, 12:29 PM
in all the other area's you could see poverty but you could also see a good community spirit a closeness between neightbours and i felt most people would get on ok in the area's .......except the place in belfast holy crap was that scary the level of hatred from the free stater's you could see them holding back there true feeling as not to apear biggotted ....failed miserably .

anyone see him arrive to the house the key was in the front door and the woman there made a big point about how they leave the keys in the door all the time !!!

Champer
15/02/2006, 12:35 PM
i saw des bishop yesterday roaming the streets of galway! he had a mobile phone to his ear but i dont think he was talkin to anyone!