PDA

View Full Version : Another Staunton Thread

A face
16/01/2006, 9:27 AM
Delaney urges fans to get behind Staunton

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney has urged an apathetic Irish public to back Steve Staunton to the hilt.

Staunton was yesterday appointed as the new manager of the Republic of Ireland, signing a four-year contract, and with his brief to put pride and passion back into Irish football.

Read more at www.rte.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0114/delaneyj.html)

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 9:47 AM
Delaney urges fans to get behind Staunton

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney has urged an apathetic Irish public to back Steve Staunton to the hilt.

Staunton was yesterday appointed as the new manager of the Republic of Ireland, signing a four-year contract, and with his brief to put pride and passion back into Irish football.

Read more at www.rte.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0114/delaneyj.html)

They can both go and f *** themselves - not a penny will they get from me again while the two of them are there. Delaney has some cheek telling me as an Irish supporter what to do. He can F*** off

Jerry The Saint
16/01/2006, 9:50 AM
My favourite comment from Delaney -

"The roles are crystal clear. Bobby will do whatever Steven asks him to do" :eek:

Sounds like a fun, sexy time for Steven! :D

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 10:07 AM
Just wondering if anyone who was very negative last week is any more positive about it now?

Leave aside any feeling on how it was handled by the FAI as that's a different matter.

Most press reports I read at the w/e were genrerally positive, albeit with qualifications.

lopez
16/01/2006, 10:09 AM
Yes I am. Only because you can't get any more negative than my reaction when first hearing the appointment.

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 10:27 AM
I am more negative as the hours pass....

tetsujin1979
16/01/2006, 10:27 AM
Feeling better and I'm definately going to support Staunton now. I do honestly feel sorry for him, he's on a hiding to nothing in this job and it could ruin the rest of his managerial career if it all goes wrong.

Plastic Paddy
16/01/2006, 10:35 AM
I'm certainly going to give him my backing from now on as he's manager of my country's football team. I think the "process" underpinning his appointment was entirely subjective and invented on the hoof. My views on this have not changed - see threads passim.

:ball: PP

oconghc2
16/01/2006, 10:40 AM
ill definately support him.

Cant blame Stan for the choice! He was always gonna take the job when offered to him.

Bit scared watching the press conference here though!! Some drivel - nearlyturned it off when he started talking about the granny rule!! (please no more debates - just saying it!)

It looked to me that stan is just the face of it all because any question he was asked he always brought in bobbys experience etc.

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 10:48 AM
have you got a link where we can read the press conference?

Greenbod
16/01/2006, 10:48 AM
Felt positive when it was announced and am feeling positive now. I just hope some of the younger players come through so he has something to work with.

gustavo
16/01/2006, 10:49 AM
i can just see stan playing "simon says" games with robson :) well i suppose you gotta laugh really

Greenbod
16/01/2006, 10:50 AM
have you got a link where we can read the press conference?

Just wondering why you'd be interested? Thought you'd written the whole thing off.

gustavo
16/01/2006, 10:51 AM
obviously i dont like the way he was appointed and i dont think he was on anyones (including delaneys) shortlist at the beginning but as PP said he is the boss now so ill back him

NeilMcD
16/01/2006, 10:53 AM
I am an optimist by nature and i think you have to be as an Ireland football fan. I think it could be a good working team however the relationship between Robson and Staunton is crucial and that would be my main fear that it does not work. Stauntons leadership, passion and commitment to the job will be second to none and lets hope he picks up the tactical nous and organisation from Bobby Robson. When all is said and done this is the replacments in my view

Brian Kerr Steve Staunton

Chris Hughton Bobby Robson

Noel O Reilly Kevnin Mc Donald

Pat Bonner Alan Kelly

Robson is the assitant but his new title was just made up as they did not want to have 72 year old assistant to a 37 year old.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 11:02 AM
I think Kelly's broad role will be bigger than just goalie coach. He's a strong character and will be seen as more of a right-hand man / squad leader than merely goalie coach.

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 11:26 AM
Just wondering why you'd be interested? Thought you'd written the whole thing off.

I'm still entitled to express my opinion. Of course I am interested

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 11:28 AM
I think Kelly's broad role will be bigger than just goalie coach. He's a strong character and will be seen as more of a right-hand man / squad leader than merely goalie coach.

If that happens there will be so many chiefs the indians won't know who rules where

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 11:30 AM
I thought Liam Brady was interesting in yesterday's Tribune. He suggests (hopes) Robson's main involvement will be observing the opposition. But I disagree with Brady when he says he doesn't see Robson in a scouting role. Why not?

Macy
16/01/2006, 11:32 AM
But I disagree with Brady when he says he doesn't see Robson in a scouting role. Why not?
Because he's not the best at remembering names?

No problem getting behind Staunton - let us concentrate on getting Delaney out of Irish football rather than his fall guy.

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 11:44 AM
Because he's not the best at remembering names?

No problem getting behind Staunton - let us concentrate on getting Delaney out of Irish football rather than his fall guy.

what do you mean his fall guy? I doubt Staunton was coerced into this...why all this "Poor little stan"?This lad wanted the job and his ability to play the political game went a long way to helping him. He should be given no more time than Kerr to prove himself,its a tough world out there

nedder
16/01/2006, 12:02 PM
of course he should be given no more time than Kerr.
2 campaigns it is so.
I for one would be happy if we could qualify for next world cup 2010.
For euro we're 4th seed so a lot depends on the draw. However, 2nd place team automatically qualifies so that should be the target.
We went backwards under kerr in my opinion, lets hope we can build a team again.

nedder
16/01/2006, 12:06 PM
Den Perry, how about a little bet, based on staunton being a success or failure.
If you lose you have to wear a Stan t shirt for a week, If you win I'll wear a ' Redser for taoiseach' one

klein4
16/01/2006, 12:14 PM
he should get one full campaign. no more no less than kerr. in fact if it could be arranged to get kerr in to lose his first two games against the top two seeds in the group then we could consider giving him a second term.:)

Den Perry
16/01/2006, 12:23 PM
Den Perry, how about a little bet, based on staunton being a success or failure.
If you lose you have to wear a Stan t shirt for a week, If you win I'll wear a ' Redser for taoiseach' one

Ok, but what determines a success? Anyway, I've got some t-shirts printed up with "redser for Irish manager".......obviously delaney did not hve the same redser in mind as me....