PDA

View Full Version : Steve McLaren - Future England manager?

OwlsFan
14/01/2006, 5:32 PM
ANyone else get sick of heanring that nonsense (e.g. see the extract below):
----------------------------
Middlesbrough striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink believes Steve McClaren would be unable to turn down the chance to replace Sven-Goran Eriksson as England manager if offered the job.

Boro chief McClaren, Eriksson's right-hand man within the England coaching set-up, is one of the favourites to succeed the Swede along with other young English managers Alan Curbishley and Sam Allardyce.
----------------------------

Middlesbrough have got to be one of the most unexciting teams to watch, are just above the relegation zone despite spending millions and just lost today 7-0 to Arsenal. But the papers will continue with this.

I also hear a lot of people (Lawrenson in particular) tipping Martin O'Neill to be the next manager. I doubt if the FA would give the job to a "Paddy" or that he'd be interested. Would the English fans accept him ?

Plastic Paddy
14/01/2006, 10:56 PM
I hope McClaren gets the England gig when Eriksson has had enough. He's spent all that money at Middlesbrough and they still look like Championship cannon-fodder. Just think what wonders he could work with England. :D

:ball: PP

OwlsFan
15/01/2006, 9:35 AM
I hear Erikkson has been caught in some sting by one of the Sunday Tits newspapers who were pretending to be an Arab Sheik and he made all kinds of indiscretions. However, it should be the paper, not Erikkson, who should be ashamed.

deadman
16/01/2006, 10:17 PM
I hope McClaren gets the England gig when Eriksson has had enough. He's spent all that money at Middlesbrough and they still look like Championship cannon-fodder. Just think what wonders he could work with England. :D

:ball: PP

would be my dream come through ... "my players were magnifienct", yadda yadda yadda ... b.s.

ccfcman
17/01/2006, 7:51 AM
Future Kettering manager more like :D

The Stars
17/01/2006, 10:34 PM
hope McLaren gets that job...it will be interesting to see the english press slating him after all the hype they have given him.

OwlsFan
18/01/2006, 12:38 PM
Boro beat a non-league team 5-2 last night. McLaren should be back in the hunt now for the English job :D

lopez
19/01/2006, 9:18 PM
Definitely hope he gets picked for the job. He's f*cking cr*p!

lofty9
20/01/2006, 9:43 AM
Slightly off topic but Stuart Pearce has an interesting opinion on a potential International Manager qualifications.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/4630096.stm

England speculation riles Pearce

Pearce succeeded Kevin Keegan as Man City boss in March
Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce has been angered by suggestions he should succeed England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson when the Swede steps down.
Wigan owner Dave Whelan said Pearce should do the job in tandem with his club's Paul Jewell. Gary Lineker has also backed the City coach in the past.

Pearce said: "It is pathetic and I find it quite embarrassing.

"I can't understand why people make statements touting me - an absolute amateur - for the England job."

Pearce added: "This must be the only industry in the world where you can have a total novice, who has not even been in management for one year, being touted for the top job in English football," he said.

"Would we say the next Prime Minister is going to be someone who has not even been elected as an MP yet? No.

"When I was a youngster I wanted to rewire a house but I didn't just walk into someone's house and say 'I have no qualifications, can I wire your house today?' The situation is ludicrous."

OwlsFan
20/01/2006, 12:10 PM

"I can't understand why people make statements touting me - an absolute amateur - for the England job."

Pearce added: "This must be the only industry in the world where you can have a total novice, who has not even been in management for one year, being touted for the top job in English football," he said.

"Would we say the next Prime Minister is going to be someone who has not even been elected as an MP yet? No.

"When I was a youngster I wanted to rewire a house but I didn't just walk into someone's house and say 'I have no qualifications, can I wire your house today?' The situation is ludicrous."

Didn't stop us appointing Staunton :D

The more I hear Pearce speak, the more I like him. He doesn't pander to the same old cliches and says what needs to be said.

Redtop
20/01/2006, 10:14 PM
dont think mc claren is good enough to be a club manager never mind a international manager..i think sam allardyce should be the next england manager

lopez
20/01/2006, 11:01 PM
dont think mc claren is good enough to be a club manager never mind a international manager..i think sam allardyce should be the next england managerGood choice. He's even worse.

The Stars
22/01/2006, 12:29 PM
stuart pearce would be the best man for the job but hopefully the FA overlook him.
although he rubbished claims linking him with the job he is the only man passionate enough for it.sven doesnt give a f*ck.....

gustavo
22/01/2006, 12:33 PM
i doubt very much that sven as you say "doesnt give a ****" . one doesnt have to be jumping up and down like a buffoon to care about ones job

hamish
27/04/2006, 9:59 PM
On the subject of McClaren - anyone see Middlesboro's amazing comeback against Steaua Bucharest this evening???
I'll leave the bits and pieces - dodgy keeper, tactics etc etc - up to you lot but it was incredibly exciting. I think Steaua only conceded 4 goals in 11 UEFA games up to tonight and they let in 4 goals in a game.
After that amazing comeback against Basle, how do 'boro do it?? Jesus, their fans must have strong hearts - as well as unluckily losing to the Hammers on Sunday and the morning news about Big Phil.
When the score went to 3-2 it must have been sheer agony for both sets of fans.:D

CollegeTillIDie
27/04/2006, 10:25 PM
The leading English candidates for the England manager gig , were dismissed by John Giles on Newstalk 106, quite rightly in my view , as lacking international experience.

Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Steve McLaren. Steve to be fair has more than the other two and reaching the UEFA Cup final would have helped.But Felipe Scolari trumps them all , with a World Cup victory for Brazil, and Euro Nations Cup Final appearance for the Portuguese.

geysir
27/04/2006, 10:52 PM
The leading English candidates for the England manager gig , were dismissed by John Giles on Newstalk 106, quite rightly in my view , as lacking international experience.
Sam Allardyce, Alan Curbishley and Steve McLaren. Steve to be fair has more than the other two and reaching the UEFA Cup final would have helped..
If you can afford somebody who is already proven then it eliminates all the risk factors with the other candidates.
Mc Laren has direct international experience.
Of course the other candidates have no international experience. You get a manager appointed every 5 years or so. I don't quite follow Giles's thinking, was that is his only reason for dismissal of the candidates? Did any previous manager have international experience before their appointment. Ramsay, Robson Venables ? Or was Giles referring to club experience in Europe?

OwlsFan
28/04/2006, 8:23 AM
If you can afford somebody who is already proven then it eliminates all the risk factors with the other candidates.
Mc Laren has direct international experience.
Of course the other candidates have no international experience. You get a manager appointed every 5 years or so. I don't quite follow Giles's thinking, was that is his only reason for dismissal of the candidates? Did any previous manager have international experience before their appointment. Ramsay, Robson Venables ? Or was Giles referring to club experience in Europe?

What a game - it ain't over until the fat lady sings as I have said on numerous occasions. Well done 'Boro. Is it only English teams that show this never say die spirit, albeit made up mostly of foreigners ? Apparently Giles phoned Dumpy when 'Boro were 2 down telling him to stick a bet of 'Boro which Dumpy alllegedly did. So tell us Eamonn - you perpetually give the Premiership stick ("What does this tell us about the Premiership? whenever a team goes out) - prepared to eat humble pie yet ? 5th in the Premiership in the CL Final and a team just above the relegation zone in the UEFA Final. Certainly strength in depth there.

Does this make no-personality McLaren any more suited for the England job ? No! One swallow doesn't make a summer - his team has struggled in the league all year which is the true test of his ability and it's not as if he has been starved of resources. However, no doubt the zenophobic tabloids will push his name forward once again.

geysir
29/04/2006, 10:56 AM
Owls Fan, You'll have to be carefull with this Dunphy obsession. Dunphy phobia, thread stalking him, next comes signs of brain damage, then the lunatic gets in your head. :)

hamish
29/04/2006, 4:10 PM
Alan Curbishley Just Resigned

Just heard Jeff Stelling announce, just before Charlton kick-off at home to Blackburn, that Alan Curbishley has resigned "as from the end of the season".
Is that a clue who's the next English manager?????

CollegeTillIDie
29/04/2006, 4:16 PM
Yes either that or he is a complete wally? :D

hamish
29/04/2006, 4:28 PM
Yes either that or he is a complete wally?

Must be taking over from Pete Mahon then:p :D

Anyone notice how many ex-West Ham players have become managers of other clubs - Frank O'Farrell, Noel Cantwell, Curbishley, Stuart Pearce, Geoff Hurst, Bobby Moore, Liam Brady, Malcolm Whatsisname to name a few.

CollegeTillIDie
30/04/2006, 5:22 PM
Must be taking over from Pete Mahon then:p :D

Anyone notice how many ex-West Ham players have become managers of other clubs - Frank O'Farrell, Noel Cantwell, Curbishley, Stuart Pearce, Geoff Hurst, Bobby Moore, Liam Brady, Malcolm Whatsisname to name a few.

1)Pete's not going anywhere ;)

2) Which is why West Ham was referred to as the academy under Ron Greenwood. By the way I believe Venables also played there in his youth.
Malcolm Allison , for the record....

hamish
30/04/2006, 5:29 PM
1)Pete's not going anywhere

2) Which is why West Ham was referred to as the academy under Ron Greenwood. By the way I believe Venables also played there in his youth.
Malcolm Allison , for the record....

Allison - just couldn't remember it at that time.:o Funny CTID, when I was playing and coaching footie back in the late 60s, I found out about "two touch" football from a book where Allison mentioned he used it in training.

BTW - what's with the "was" bit :eek::p - it still "is" the academy of football. They've let a few slip through though - Ray Houghton and have had a few poor pupils as well - Rio Ferdinand for one.

CollegeTillIDie
01/05/2006, 11:41 AM
Well the phrase was coined under Ron Greenwood and sadly he is no longer with us!

stojkovic
01/05/2006, 1:48 PM
Which is why West Ham was referred to as the academy under Ron Greenwood. By the way I believe Venables also played there in his youth.
Malcolm Allison , for the record....Correct me if im wrong but was the famous 'coaching academy' not at Chelsea in the sixties when players like Malcolm Allison, Dave Sexton, Terry Venables etc used to meet on the Kings Road and discuss the finer points of the game. I could me wrong.

OwlsFan
02/05/2006, 5:05 PM
Alan Curbishley Just Resigned

Just heard Jeff Stelling announce, just before Charlton kick-off at home to Blackburn, that Alan Curbishley has resigned "as from the end of the season".
Is that a clue who's the next English manager?????

Yes, I thought that was strange or maybe 15 years at Charlton was more than enough. I suspect he won't have to wait long for offers but he can't really progress Charlton any more than he has done. Villa perhaps when "as I say" gets a walk off part at the end of the season. I doubt if he'll get the England job ahead of McLaren.

Saint Tom
04/05/2006, 3:01 PM
looks like mcclaren to be confirmed today as per sky and bbc reports

londonirish17
05/05/2006, 8:26 AM
Poor FA... McLaren is just crap. Never reached anything with Boro. Always big budget and decent squad but no results. The UEFA Cup final can't be an excuse.

OwlsFan
11/05/2006, 9:29 AM
I saw a print out of his record at 'Boro and they have lost almost as many games as they won under McLaren despite the large investment by Gibson. And if last night was anything to go by I'll give him 12 months in the English job before he becomes another Graham Taylor.

ciaran76
11/05/2006, 9:51 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I can't see McLaren lasting longer the 1 full year in the England job.

anto1208
11/05/2006, 10:16 AM
Fluking there way to the final masked a very poor season for a team that finished 14th , the 4 nil was about right last night ive never seen a team in a final play so badly ,no one looked like they cared .

aparently martin o neil was first choice but wouldnt garuntee that becks would be captain for the euro's in 2 years which is fair enough so the fa would loose millions in sponsership so MON was out of the picture .

maclaren is a yes man & will last untill they either dont qualify or go out early of the euro's then he is gone . no more than 2 years .

the press are starting to turn on him allready and he has nt even started yet .

lofty9
11/05/2006, 10:44 AM
I heard that one of the questions asked for selecting the England Manager was that what role would Beckham have? ONeill and Allerdyce both said that they would pick the players according to form and no player was undroppable. The FA told them Beckham was to play and be captain no matter what, due to sponsorship etc. McClaren is the yes man that the English FA want. He was shown up last night tactically by the Sevilla management.

lopez
11/05/2006, 11:14 AM
That match last night showed me that he's the coooooooooolest future England manager I've ever seen. :D

The Stars
11/05/2006, 11:50 AM
would be shocked if england get through the group stage now with that those two clowns managing them, as im sure McLaren will try to influence the team more than he did in the past.oh ya, and crouch up front

OwlsFan
11/05/2006, 12:13 PM
I heard that one of the questions asked for selecting the England Manager was that what role would Beckham have? ONeill and Allerdyce both said that they would pick the players according to form and no player was undroppable. The FA told them Beckham was to play and be captain no matter what, due to sponsorship etc. McClaren is the yes man that the English FA want. He was shown up last night tactically by the Sevilla management.

I very much doubt that. The FA telling a coach want team to pick. Stuff of fantasy.

lofty9
11/05/2006, 1:41 PM
I very much doubt that. The FA telling a coach want team to pick. Stuff of fantasy.

More like the sponsors dictating the finances, therefore the FA making decisions for monies sake. Let's not forget that in football money talks, remember Nike and Ronaldo at a certain WC final?

anto1208
12/05/2006, 10:59 AM
More like the sponsors dictating the finances, therefore the FA making decisions for monies sake. Let's not forget that in football money talks, remember Nike and Ronaldo at a certain WC final?

well to explain what kinda money we're talking the sponsership real get from having becks in the squad pays all the other players wages !!!!

OwlsFan
26/03/2007, 2:57 PM
I saw a print out of his record at 'Boro and they have lost almost as many games as they won under McLaren despite the large investment by Gibson. And if last night was anything to go by I'll give him 12 months in the English job before he becomes another Graham Taylor.

Funny how we can predict these things before he got the job and yet the same English media, who were backing Mclaren for the job and who are now hounding him out of it, couldn't :confused: :D

DmanDmythDledge
26/03/2007, 3:09 PM
McClaren is a top class coach but is not cut out to manage at the top level. The squad he had at Boro should have done a lot better in the league, and England now obviously.

Slightly off topic but Stuart Pearce has an interesting opinion on a potential International Manager qualifications.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_city/4630096.stm

England speculation riles Pearce

Pearce succeeded Kevin Keegan as Man City boss in March
Manchester City manager Stuart Pearce has been angered by suggestions he should succeed England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson when the Swede steps down.
Wigan owner Dave Whelan said Pearce should do the job in tandem with his club's Paul Jewell. Gary Lineker has also backed the City coach in the past.

John Delaney if you're reading take fĂșcking note.

I heard that one of the questions asked for selecting the England Manager was that what role would Beckham have? ONeill and Allerdyce both said that they would pick the players according to form and no player was undroppable. The FA told them Beckham was to play and be captain no matter what, due to sponsorship etc.
...:rolleyes:

Jerry The Saint
26/03/2007, 3:21 PM

...:rolleyes:

Don't scoff! I heard that John Delaney told all prospective managers that John O'Shea had to play every game no matter what. Hence, we got Stan.

OwlsFan
16/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Just thought I'd resurrect this post because he may be out of a job soon as I predicted before he was even appointed. The same press that was calling for his appointment, will hound him out.

Strange world.

CollegeTillIDie
17/11/2007, 6:46 PM
If I had to play John O'Shea every game I'd stick him in on the wing out of harm's way :D

OwlsFan
22/11/2007, 12:01 PM
So he's sacked with the following statement:

"I would like to thank Steve for the work he has done since taking on the position last summer. His commitment to the job could not be questioned and I wish him the best for the future.

"The recruitment process for the new coach begins now and we will do everything to get the right man for the job."

Sound familiar except the absence of "mutual consent"?

Now the tabloids will pick Martin O'Neill and then crucify him when that doesn't work out as well. Remember you read it here first!

CollegeTillIDie
24/11/2007, 9:26 AM
Martin O'Neill ruled himself out of that gig. What amazes me is that nobody has seriously considered him for our job. After all he's the best qualified Irishman for the gig.

jebus
24/11/2007, 11:29 AM
Martin O'Neill ruled himself out of that gig. What amazes me is that nobody has seriously considered him for our job. After all he's the best qualified Irishman for the gig.

He said he wasn't interested before Stan got the job and I can't blame him, he's too good to manage either Irish team

OwlsFan
26/11/2007, 10:05 AM
I see some English papers are suggesting Shearer!! What managerial experience has he got? Another Stan?

tetsujin1979
26/11/2007, 10:52 AM
If his punditry is anything to go by, then he will be - half time VS Croatia: "they, just, em, um, need to get in amongst them".