PDA

View Full Version : First Squad

Pages : [1] 2

concanta
14/01/2006, 11:39 AM
What should first squad be
WHat young players are actually ready to come in NOW?

i would suggest

Doyle
O'Brien
Ireland
Kelly

also important is the draw for euro 2008
if we get a bit lucky there the future mightnt appear so bleak

gustavo
14/01/2006, 12:02 PM
id have all of those except kelly

dr_peepee
14/01/2006, 12:14 PM
Yeah!! 'Bout time we got back to what matters!!:) :)

A squad I'd like to see for Sweden. A bigger squad than normal to act as much as an "all hands on deck" session as well as a Friendly

Given, Kenny, Murphy, Stack

Finnan, S.Kelly, Harte, O'Shea, Maybury, Dunne, A O'Brien, Breen, Doherty, P McCarthy, Foley

J O'Brien, KEVIN NOLAN???, S Ireland, S Reid, A Reid, Holland, Kavanagh, Quinn, Duff, McGeady, G Whelan

Keane, Morrison, Elliot, Doyle, Connolly, Lee Trundle, DAVE KITSON???

gustavo
14/01/2006, 12:22 PM
i wouldnt sacrifice kilbane just for the sake of some guy who is waiting on sven goran eriksson to decide for him if he is irish or not.

Superhoops
14/01/2006, 12:28 PM
Yeah!! 'Bout time we got back to what matters!!:) :)

A squad I'd like to see for Sweden. A bigger squad than normal to act as much as an "all hands on deck" session as well as a Friendly

Given, Kenny, Murphy, Stack

Finnan, S.Kelly, Harte, O'Shea, Maybury, Dunne, A O'Brien, Breen, Doherty, P McCarthy, Foley

J O'Brien, KEVIN NOLAN???, S Ireland, S Reid, A Reid, Holland, Kavanagh, Quinn, Duff, McGeady, G Whelan

Keane, Morrison, Elliot, Doyle, Connolly, Lee Trundle, DAVE KITSON???
Never going to see a squad this big.

No chance of Nolan or Kitson

Do we really want Trundle, with the likes of Doyle and Elliott around?

Has to inlcude Kilbane, he's still playing regular Premiership football. Can't be that bad.

klein4
14/01/2006, 1:33 PM
yeah kilbane should be in. he never gives less than 100% for Ireland and has declared his allegeince from the start.might try and find a more suitable position for him tho.left back?
Its important they get as many new faces involved from an early stage. even if they are not going to be first team regulars we will need cover over the course of a qualifying campaign.

dr_peepee
14/01/2006, 3:19 PM
:o Sorry lads.

Actually forgot about Kilbane.... Would also have McShane in there aswell. Obviously I wouln't expect half of the players mentioned to get a run out. But it would be more about getting everyone on board that, at this point, looks to be a potential asset over the qualifying campaign. Put them all in a room and let them know what to expect, and what expected from them so that when/if called upon they hit the ground running.

The Nolan, Kitson thing is just wishfull thinking on my part. We desperately need a bit of physical presence up front at the moment, and we've a severe lack of central midfeilders at the top of their game.

Fergie's Son
14/01/2006, 4:19 PM
Nolan will not (or can not) declare.

What about Kitson? Scored twice today.

brine3
14/01/2006, 5:26 PM
he never gives less than 100% for Ireland and has declared his allegeince from the start.might try and find a more suitable position for him tho.left back?

I've always given 100% for Ireland and have declared my allegiance from the start. Can I be in the squad? Please?

The core of the squad should be:

Goal:
Given, Kenny, Murphy

Defence:
Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly

Midfield:
Ireland, J O'Brien, A Reid, S Reid, Kavanagh, Duff

Attack:
Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott

And we'd want to keep an eye on how Kearney gets on at Heerenveen.

klein4
14/01/2006, 5:29 PM
I've always given 100% for Ireland and have declared my allegiance from the start. Can I be in the squad? Please?
Yes. Yes you can.

silentbob
14/01/2006, 7:41 PM
yeah kilbane should be in. he never gives less than 100% for Ireland and has declared his allegeince from the start.might try and find a more suitable position for him tho.left back?
Its important they get as many new faces involved from an early stage. even if they are not going to be first team regulars we will need cover over the course of a qualifying campaign.

Think left back is Irelands main problem area at the moment. Reckon because of this Kilbane could well start the Euro Qualifiers with the number 3 shirt on his back.

Heres the alternatives

O'Shea
Not international standard and may well become a reserve team regular at Man United very soon.

Harte
Spains second division aint good enough, Harte himself would admit that.

Put Finnan left back and Stephen Kelly at right back
Would not like to see this happen as Finnan is close to the best right back in the premiership at the moment and Stephen Kelly hasnt played much football this season. Might chage with Stalteri getting sent off for Spurs today though.

I cant think of any other alternative to the ones above. Any Comment?

Superhoops
14/01/2006, 9:15 PM

The core of the squad should be:

Goal:
Given, Kenny, Murphy

Defence:
Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly

Midfield:

Attack:
Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott

And we'd want to keep an eye on how Kearney gets on at Heerenveen.
I cannot see how Stephen Kelly can be considered to be a core player yet. He has not being playing regularly at Spurs and was f**king awful against Leicester last weekend. He needs a decent run in the Spurs team before he can stake a claim as one of Ireland's core players.

As posted above, Kevin Kilbane is still playing premiership football and can still fill a number of roles. Currently, he has a better claim to be a core squad player than Andy Reid, who does not appear to be filling the early promise he showed last year.

Another player not mentioned is Liam Miller, who has shown he has benefited from regular first team football at Leeds and if his current form continues he will be a core squad player.

Interesting you have not included McGeady? Do you not rate him as a regular of the future? Personally, I think he is overated.

We need to have three established centre backs in the squad. O'Shea is not a centre back and so either Paddy McCarty or Paul McShane should be brought in and played in the next 3 or 4 games, before we start the Euro 2008 qualifiers. On form, McCarthy deserves his chance.

Finally, one 'dark horse' who I think will make the breakthrough soon, Darren Potter of Liverpool.

Irish_Praha
14/01/2006, 9:29 PM
Yeah I think Kilbane should be tried out at left back too and be told not to venture forward too much because his crossing is not up to much. Then Duff could be relieved of some of his defensive duties and we can see him play like he used to for Ireland. Kilbane may as well have been playing LB for the few years Harte was in the team, he had to run back and cover for him on countless occasions.

Another option for LB is Clive Clarke, who might get a few games now that Repka is on his way. I know Repka is a RB but 1 less FB at the club can only help.

Marcus Painter at Birmingham has already had a few games at LB and has performed OK but he's not playing regular enough to justify a call up to the team just yet but maybe soon.

It looks like Stephen Reid is getting some experience and playing well at CMF. That pleases me and I guess several others on here who believe he can develop into the box-to-box player we are missing at the moment.

Going on current form I'd like to see this team start:

________Given_______

Finnan_Dunne_A.O'Brien_Kilbane

J.O'Brien_S.Reid_Kavanagh_Duff

_____Keane___Doyle____

If A. Reid is getting his game and playing well I'd start him instead of J.O'Brien and maybe bring on O'Brien in place of Finnan in the second half. I know he prefers CMF but with S.Kelly not playing at Spurs we need to develop someone else as cover for Finnan (other than Mabury)
I know out of that starting 11 only Doyle would be getting his first cap and it seems a bit conservative in the Kerr mold but it will be Stan's first game in charge and I'm sure he will want to get off to a good start. Just as long as he doesn't continue like that. Anyway I think it would be experimental enough to start with. We would get a look at a Doyle-Keane partnership, see how S.Reid handles CMF at international level, give Kavanagh another chance to prove himself, see if Duff is able to change his style of play for Ireland, assess how Kilbane performs at LB and give Dunne and A.O'Brien some much-needed time together. Depending on the game I'd bring on 5 subs at max:
A full second half for Paddy Kenny, Ireland on at some stage for Kavanagh or S.Reid, if Elliott is fit I'd bring him on for the last 30 mins and bring McCarthy on for Dunne or O'Brien at the same time.

brine3
15/01/2006, 12:36 AM
Have to say, I didn't think of playing Joey O'Brien at right midfield. That would be a good idea.

Looks a decent side, if a bit iffy at the back.

tonycuna
15/01/2006, 12:39 PM
Kilbane and McGeady for me too

shakermaker1982
15/01/2006, 1:34 PM
I'd like to see the young lads given a chance instead of the old school. We've tried that and it didn't work. Ireland, Joey and Doyle should all be included and I'd even give em a start. Nolan is a tricky one, if it is true he wants to play vfor England and doesn't feel "Irish" then I don't want him on board. Same goes for Kitson. Hopefully somebody sounds them out before our new duo name their 1st squad.

Dunne was outstanding yesterday and if we can get somebody decent to play alongside him our defence should be ok. John O Shea played ok yesterday and notice once again he is getting a bit of stick on here. I'd have him at LB over Kilbane any day of the week!!!!

adamcarr
15/01/2006, 1:40 PM
Keepers:
Given, Kenny, Devine

Defence:
Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly, Danny Murphy

Midfield:

Attack:
Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott, Jason Byrne

Superhoops
15/01/2006, 1:49 PM
....John O Shea played ok yesterday and notice once again he is getting a bit of stick on here. I'd have him at LB over Kilbane any day of the week!!!!
You must have been watching a different game to me. He was playing midfield and looked lost. Did hardly anything apart from two decent crosses in the second half.

If Ferguson rated him as a left back he would play him there, instead he goes and signs another full back, Evra, who was the only MU player worse than O'Shea yesterday IMHO and I suppose you could allow for the fact it was Evra's debut.

If O'Shea is not good enough to a MU's first choice defender then why should we play him anywhere in our defence? :confused:

Irish_Praha
15/01/2006, 4:11 PM
Yes I forgot McGeady. He should be getting more than the 5 mins a game that Kerr gave him. What's the story with Kitson? Does he actually have any Irish connections? Liam Lawrence should be brought on board too. So I guess my squad of 22 would be:

Given, Kenny, Stack

Finnan, J O'Brien, Mcarthy, A. O'Brien, Dunne, Kilbane, O'Shea

A. Reid, McGeady, Ireland, Kavanagh, S. Reid, Holland, Duff, Lawrence

Keane, Morrisson, Elliott, Doyle

BTW I forgot to mention Mark Kennedy as another posibility for the LB spot.

hamish
15/01/2006, 4:24 PM
Always though Clive Clarke would male a go of it with West Ham but he seems to be down the pecking order there. Still think he's a good prospect at left full.

What age is he BTW??

Qwerty
15/01/2006, 5:12 PM
Clarke's move to the Hammers was ill-advised with Konchesky having a lock on that LB spot.

SilentBob said he thought LB was our main problem at the moment...if only this were so. We have bigger problems in midfield and at center back.

Duff is the only definite starter in midfield, the loss of Keane leaves a huge black hole in the team, youngsters like Ireland, O'Brien, McGeady and Garvan and maybe Whelan show potential but realistically it is going to be 2 to 3 years before they really begin to deliver on that, if 2 of the 5 make the grade at international level that would be a success.

More immediately Steven and Andy Reid and Kavanagh need to really step up now, I'm surprised that Matt Holland hasn't retired.

I think with Elliott and Doyle we have some options up front but would like to see Alan Lee ( bit of a donkey, but hoping for some Royle magic ) succeed at Ipswich as we need the option of a physical presence up front. The new management needs to trawl the leagues for a big fella to lead the line.

I think we wil be comptetent at the back but Dunne and O'Brien continue to show problems with concentration but McShane looks a good option. I'm doubtful about McCarthy ability to step up.

Staunton would not have made my top 10 list but of all the former players we could have chosen Stan is probably the best, he doesn't take any crap and always knew what he was about. He has played at top clubs and has seen it all at international level, and he won't over-complicate thing like Kerr. He is a Liverpool player ( pre-Souness management ) and I think that background of keeping this simple, working hard and not making mistakes will be an asset to the team, he also knows the Irish setup very well and will know what needs to stay the same and what needs to change, he also knows what has worked for Ireland over the years. I think he will succeed.

robbie_B
15/01/2006, 5:15 PM
Stan gets Trundle boost

January 15, 2006

New manager Steve Staunton received a boost with the news that Swansea’s Lee Trundle has declared himself for Ireland.

The prolific frontman has been in fine form for the League 1 side this season netting 17 times in 22 starts. Liverpool born Trundle qualifies through his Irish grandparents and would relish the chance of international football.

He said “Maybe the chances are greater now that Brian Kerr has gone. It would be a dream come through. When I was younger I used to wear an Ireland shirt in the kick-arounds when all of my mates were in England ones. I feel I’m as good as anything Ireland have in attack. Ireland will have a few friendlies coming up and I’d love to be involved.”

Staunton who took over the reigns on last week has confirmed he will be keeping a close eye on Trundle. He said “There’s always the possibility and it doesn’t matter what level you are at. Lee has already scored plenty this season- he’s on fire. He is a proven goal scorer and it is never too late.”

Superhoops
15/01/2006, 5:28 PM
Always though Clive Clarke would male a go of it with West Ham but he seems to be down the pecking order there. Still think he's a good prospect at left full.

What age is he BTW??
He was 26 yesterday, so hardly 'a developing talent'

Superhoops
15/01/2006, 5:38 PM
Stan gets Trundle boost

January 15, 2006

New manager Steve Staunton received a boost with the news that Swansea’s Lee Trundle has declared himself for Ireland.

The prolific frontman has been in fine form for the League 1 side this season netting 17 times in 22 starts. Liverpool born Trundle qualifies through his Irish grandparents and would relish the chance of international football.

He said “Maybe the chances are greater now that Brian Kerr has gone. It would be a dream come through. When I was younger I used to wear an Ireland shirt in the kick-arounds when all of my mates were in England ones. I feel I’m as good as anything Ireland have in attack. Ireland will have a few friendlies coming up and I’d love to be involved.”

Staunton who took over the reigns on last week has confirmed he will be keeping a close eye on Trundle. He said “There’s always the possibility and it doesn’t matter what level you are at. Lee has already scored plenty this season- he’s on fire. He is a proven goal scorer and it is never too late.”
FFS, Lee Trundle is 29 and has only become a 'profilic scorer' over the last couple of years at Swansea. Before that he was at Wrexham and Rhyl!!!

What has that got to do with Brian Kerr? If he was that good and 'as good as anything Ireland have in attack' why was he not around in McCarthy's day or even before that?. Is he better than Robbie, Clinton, Elliott or Doyle?? I don't think so.

Good 1st divison striker, not international class.

robbie_B
15/01/2006, 6:12 PM
I think trundle will be in the first squad. I don't think he will be any worse than Clinton. Staunton was at the Reading match, do you think he will be asking Kitson about the Irish grandparents??

Superhoops
15/01/2006, 7:24 PM
I think trundle will be in the first squad. I don't think he will be any worse than Clinton. Staunton was at the Reading match, do you think he will be asking Kitson about the Irish grandparents??
Kitson will be 26 next Saturday. I don't remember when he was plying his trade at Cambridge expressing any great interest in playing for Ireland. I think he is another one of those 'not good enough for England, so Ireland will do' brigade. If Kitson or Nolan were called up for England tomorrow (and the chances for either are unlikely!), there would be no mention of any Irish connection.

There have been plenty of 2G and 3G Irish playing over the last few years in our U15, U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 squads, lads who although born in England, and places like Jersey and Germany have elected to play for Ireland at an early age. These are the guys we should be encouraging, not the Kitsons, Trundles and Nolans of this world.

livehead1
15/01/2006, 7:31 PM
lets try and lay a couple of points to rest
number one:
KEVIN NOLAN will never play for ireland unless the rules change. He is ineligible, he has played for england under 21's and under fifa rules he missed the year amnesty when players like jon macken were able to change their country of choice, so lets FORGET HIM.

number two:
I have followed LEE TRUNDLES progress over the last 3years and he has always said that he is irish and i can remember an interview ages ago and he said that he considers himself irish and goes over there all the time.

robbie_B
15/01/2006, 8:49 PM
Kitson will be 26 next Saturday. I don't remember when he was plying his trade at Cambridge expressing any great interest in playing for Ireland. I think he is another one of those 'not good enough for England, so Ireland will do' brigade. If Kitson or Nolan were called up for England tomorrow (and the chances for either are unlikely!), there would be no mention of any Irish connection.

There have been plenty of 2G and 3G Irish playing over the last few years in our U15, U16, U17, U18, U19, U20 and U21 squads, lads who although born in England, and places like Jersey and Germany have elected to play for Ireland at an early age. These are the guys we should be encouraging, not the Kitsons, Trundles and Nolans of this world.

Superhoops i agree, but it will be interesting to see whether Staunton goes looking for 2G and 3G players. Im fairly sure Kitson said he doesn't consider himself Irish but sure Townsend was supporting England one year and the next playing for us.

dancinpants
16/01/2006, 1:58 AM
Keepers:
Given, Kenny, Devine

Defence:
Finnan, O'Shea, A O'Brien, Dunne, Kelly, Danny Murphy

Midfield:

Attack:
Keane, Doyle, Morrisson, Elliott, Jason Byrne

I'm not tryin' to stir up an already flogged to death argument here. Surely after, what can only be described as, Kevin Doyle's seemless transition from eL to Championship football, people should be looking closer to home for players for the squad?

Fergie's Son
16/01/2006, 2:40 AM
I'm not tryin' to stir up an already flogged to death argument here. Surely after, what can only be described as, Kevin Doyle's seemless transition from eL to Championship football, people should be looking closer to home for players for the squad?

I don't agree. For every Doyle there is an endless stream of Glen Crowe's. The EL simply isn't good enough and Doyle is just the exception that proves the rule.

Plastic Paddy
16/01/2006, 7:52 AM
The core group of newcomers simply has to be Kevin Doyle, Joey O'Brien and Stephen Ireland.
I would say to the likes of Liam Miller and Aiden McGeady: "it's a new slate now lads and it's time for you two to start showing that you are worthy of the jersey."

Come on TP, Aiden McGeady is 19 ffs. I'd hardly lump him in with Liam Miller in the "we're so desperate you can have a second chance" category. :rolleyes:

:ball: PP

shakermaker1982
16/01/2006, 8:14 AM
You must have been watching a different game to me. He was playing midfield and looked lost. Did hardly anything apart from two decent crosses in the second half.

If Ferguson rated him as a left back he would play him there, instead he goes and signs another full back, Evra, who was the only MU player worse than O'Shea yesterday IMHO and I suppose you could allow for the fact it was Evra's debut.

If O'Shea is not good enough to a MU's first choice defender then why should we play him anywhere in our defence? :confused:

O Shea was one of Man Utds better players Saturday, he looked more composed than Fletcher in the centre of midfield. Fergie likes his versalitilty, he can play in 4 or 5 positions for the team and he doesn't let the team down. Ok he's no world beater but if you want a steady Eddie he is your man.

To conclude, I'd have O'Shea over that Everton waster every day of the week. Kilbane should not even make the bench.

FarBeag
16/01/2006, 8:36 AM
O Shea was one of Man Utds better players Saturday, he looked more composed than Fletcher in the centre of midfield. Fergie likes his versalitilty, he can play in 4 or 5 positions for the team and he doesn't let the team down. Ok he's no world beater but if you want a steady Eddie he is your man.

To conclude, I'd have O'Shea over that Everton waster every day of the week. Kilbane should not even make the bench.

Did you see the game on Saturday? O'Shea may have been one of Man Utds better players but they were horrendous.IMO I think O' Shea is lucky to be playing at all in their first eleven and i am sure he would not be there if there were not so many injuries. Kilbane is not a whole lot better but i still rate him higher than JOS

as_i_say
16/01/2006, 8:41 AM
yeah O'sheas days as a regular with united are surely numbered, though i thought he had a decent game against city but could have been best of a woeful bunch. Alan Smith, what a waste of space.

Somebody mentioned Liam Lawrence back there-is he Irish-has he declared for us?I didnt think so.

Tenderloins
16/01/2006, 8:47 AM
According to todays Indo Lawrence has an Irish Passport!

pete
16/01/2006, 9:48 AM

Not its much easier to looking for Football League players who were seen drinking Guinness once. :rolleyes:

How can someone suggest a lot of Championship players & SPL player & then dismiss Harte because he playing 2nd tier in Spain? :confused:

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 9:51 AM
Doyle, McGeady, Ireland, O'Brien, Lawrence, Kennedy, Quinn & Paddy McCarthy are all players I'd like to see involved. I think Glenn Whelan should be close too. Trundle if there's an enlarged squad which I expect there will be. Kevin Foley is very close too, probably ahead of Kelly in my view.

Steve Reid to start.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 10:57 AM
This isn't very elegantly presented but here's an approximate list of players who I think have any kind of claim on a senior call up. Some kids in here as I think the likes of O'brien & Ireland need to go into the senior squad. I'm sure I've left out loads. 3 eL players (Byrne, Kearney & O'Donovan are the ones I think are closest from what I've seen, but I don't see any eL over here so what do I know?). I'm sure there are others I've forgotten. I've left all the U19s (Garvan etc. out).

Nmaes in bold are those I'd pick for the first squad assuming everyone is fit. I think this totals 26. The likes of Glenn Whelan, Ronnie O'Brien, Rowlands, Miller & McShane could be added if the first squad is to be a larger squad. Coughlan's not far off. Better defender than Doherty.

[eirebhoy, remember the UEFA co-efficient ranking list you posted ages back ? How did you post it as a s'sheet with filter arrows etc.?)

Of the list below many are playing very well (e.g., even John O'Shea in my opinion) and several are pretty good prospects. I've maintained all along that a good manager has plenty to work with. Step up Steve Staunton, let's see what you can do.

1 Kavanagh MID Y
2 Duff MID Y
3 Andy Reid MID Y
4 Steven Reid MID Y
5 Glenn Whelan MID
6 Quinn MID Y
7 Kilbane MID Y
8 Ireland MID Y
9 McGeady MID Y
10 Miller MID
11 Holland MID
12 Ronnie O'Brien MID
13 Alan Mahon MID
14 Martin Rowlands MID
15 Potter MID
16 Douglas MID
17 Partridge MID
18 Thornton MID
19 Liam Lawrence MID Y
20 Mark Kennedy MID Y
21 Roy O'Donovan MID
22 Liam Kearney MID
23 Given GK Y
24 Kenny GK Y
25 Stack/Murphy/Henderson/Doyle GK Y
26 Robbie Keane FOR Y
27 Morrison FOR Y
28 Doyle FOR Y
29 Trundle FOR Y
30 Elliott FOR Y
31 Daryl Murphy FOR
32 Jay Tabb FOR
33 Connolly FOR
34 Heffernan FOR
35 Burgess FOR
36 Jason Byrne FOR
37 Joey O'Brien DEF/MID Y
38 Finnan DEF Y
39 O'Brien DEF Y
40 Dunne DEF Y
41 O'Shea DEF Y
42 McCarthy DEF Y
43 Coughlan DEF
44 McShane DEF
45 Stephen Kelly DEF Y
46 Kevin O'Connor DEF
47 Foley DEF Y
48 Delaney DEF
49 Geary DEF
50 Doherty DEF
51 Harte DEF
52 Painter DEF
53 Delap DEF
54 Gary Breen DEF
55 Alan Maybury DEF
56 Alan Sheehan DEF
57 Tierney DEF

Also: 58 Alan Lee FOR
59 Stephen Hunt MID

livehead1
16/01/2006, 11:21 AM
people were raving bout how impressive lee carsley was last season for everton, he will be fully fit my march and has made himself available again so he should be in the squad ahead of certain other players.

pete
16/01/2006, 11:47 AM
4 Steven Reid MID Y I don't rate have long memory but probably deserves on current club form.
14 Martin Rowlands MID - where does he play?
17 Partridge MID - no hope.
18 Thornton MID - no hope
20 Mark Kennedy MID Y[/B] - still useless.
29 Trundle FOR - plastic paddy
31 Daryl Murphy FOR - this a joke?
32 Jay Tabb FOR - no hope.
33 Connolly FOR - still useless
34 Heffernan FOR - League One, no thanks
45 Stephen Kelly DEF Y - reserve football, no thanks
Also: 58 Alan Lee FOR - useless

Hows about picking a 22 man squad with best 2 plays per position & let say not include players that won't be around for 2008 qualifiers.

pete
16/01/2006, 11:56 AM
Given, Kenny
Finnan, Carr
Kilbane? Harte?
O'Brien, Dunne, McCarthy, O'Shea
Kavanagh, Ireland, S Reid, O'Brien
Duff, Reid, Winger 3, Winger 4
Keane, Morisson, Doyle, Elliot

shakermaker1982
16/01/2006, 12:02 PM
S Reid needs to be given a chance at CM, excellent this season for Rovers and he has always impressed me when wearing the green sheet.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 12:14 PM
Well Carr has retired for a start.

I think the best U21s or recent ex-U21sshould be given a grounding in the senior squad. So this includes the likes of Kelly & Foley as back-up right-back. For friendlies I think it's worthwhile having enlarged squads. It gives everyone a chance to show what they're about and just generally feel involved.

I think Steve Reid is on great form and made a difference in the 15 mins he was on against Switzerland. Jay Tabb will remain in U21s I accept, but he's a decent prospect. Mark Kennedy was singled out on SKY on Friday for the quality of his performance at left-back.

klein4
16/01/2006, 12:23 PM
do you not think kennedy had his chance and he blew it?
he shouldnt be banned from the squad but there are other people more deserving.

tetsujin1979
16/01/2006, 12:26 PM
posted this inthe player's thread, but think it's a little relevant here too:

from independent.co.uk's review of Ipswich VS Sheffield United
With an 18-year-old goalkeeper, Shane Supple, and the 17-year-old Owen Garvan in the centre of midfield there is clear promise, but Ipswich need to find more players who have both class and experience.

No harm in bringing Supple along with the squad, especially if he's getting first team experience. If Stack manages to break into the starting XI at Reading, there's 3 keepers (Kenny, Stack, Supple) all playing well in the top half of the Championship

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 12:34 PM
do you not think kennedy had his chance and he blew it?
he shouldnt be banned from the squad but there are other people more deserving.
you could argue that he's older & wiser now and we're not exactly blessed with left-back options. personally i'd like to see him or kk tried there. if anyone can sp[ot a left-back you'd imagine it'd be staunton though!

Kingdom
16/01/2006, 12:40 PM

What a good post imo. I was reading an article today (possibly by Dion Fanning) about how much Robby Bobson is going to try to get Kevin Nolan on board. This would be a bad idea. The lad doesn't want to play for Ireland, it would appear to be as simple as that. And its not as if the foreigner rule would complicate things as its no longer there.
Its not like supporting you're club, where you would like the best possible players playing for you, this is our national team, we should be getting the best players that want to play for us, not just lads who want to play international football for the sake of it, regardless of who they play for.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 12:45 PM
it would appear to be as simple as that
No, it's even simpler. His amnesty has expired. He's not even eligible under the rules!

Trundle I've no problem with. As discussed ad infinitum on this board he nailed his Irish colours to the mast as early as he possibly could have. I respect the position he's coming from.

Kingdom
16/01/2006, 1:01 PM
No, it's even simpler. His amnesty has expired. He's not even eligible under the rules!

Trundle I've no problem with. As discussed ad infinitum on this board he nailed his Irish colours to the mast as early as he possibly could have. I respect the position he's coming from.
Ay didn't make it that clear tbh. I've no problem with Trundle, just like I'd no beef with Kilbane, Breen or Carsley for that matter. These are guys who quite clearly consider themselves Irish and they are right. But its the so-called mercenaries (sp?) like messrs Morrison and Mattie Holland that I could take or leave (although both of these guys always gave 100% imo!).
Thats why the attitude of Stephen Ireland really p!ssed me off. The amount of paper inches that lad has got over the past few months has been crazy. Before he has become an established figure at City he was having articles written about him and how he was going to consider where his allegences lie with respect to his international future! Utter bullsh!t. All because he didn't get to play in a fcuking friendly international in front of mammy and daddy. Get a bit of fcuking perspective young fella.

shakermaker1982
16/01/2006, 1:38 PM
What has Ireland done wrong?

He went back to his club after being dicked around by Kerr when promised a game? Why call him over if your just gonna make him sit in the stands? Plus his first ever interview was with the Guardian on Saturday so it's not as if he kept on banging about it. The papers and media had a good go at him but he kept his mouth shut. He stated on Saturday he wants to play for Ireland and is committed, good luck to him because he looks a good player.