View Full Version : Staunton appointment announced

Pages : [1] 2

colster
13/01/2006, 2:01 PM
http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0113/repofireland.html
http://www.fai.ie/article004.html

tiktok
13/01/2006, 2:07 PM
Ah....Bobby's an 'international football consultant'. That clears everything up.
Anyway, Best of luck Stan, now that it's official I suppose we'd best support you.

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 2:07 PM
oh sweet Mother of God

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 2:08 PM
Ah....Bobby's an 'international football consultant'. That clears everything up.
Anyway, Best of luck Stan, now that it's official I suppose we'd best support you.
I shall not be supporting STAN

lofty9
13/01/2006, 2:10 PM
Must have impressed Delaney with that outfit at the interview:D

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0113/repofireland.html

Dublin12
13/01/2006, 2:12 PM

As you work in the FAI and won't be supporting,any chance I can have your tickets then?,afteral it's better to have people at the games that will support the team than tickets wasted on people that will only go vent their anger.

drinkfeckarse
13/01/2006, 2:12 PM
"International Football Consultant":confused: :o Christ only the FAI could come up with that one!

Still, I'm right behind Stan. It's maybe not the appointment we were all looking for but there's nothing to suggest that he won't handle it.

A slight improvement on Kerr's negativity would do for me in the short term.

thejollyrodger
13/01/2006, 2:14 PM
IM DISAPOINTED :(

Staunton confirmed as new Republic boss
13/01/2006 - 14:54:44
http://breaking.tcm.ie/2006/01/13/story239512.html

Steve Staunton has been confirmed as the new manager of the Republic of Ireland.

Due to Staunton’s lack of managerial experience, he will be assisted by Bobby Robson, with the former England manager taking up a position as ‘international football consultant’.

Staunton’s backroom team includes Kevin MacDonald as coach, with the 45-year-old retaining his role as Aston Villa reserve-team manager, and former Republic number one Alan Kelly as goalkeeping coach.

The Football Association of Ireland's decision ends a three-month search after opting not to renew Brian Kerr's contract following his failure to guide Ireland to this summer's World Cup finals.

A host of high-profile names had previously been linked with the vacancy, notably Martin O’Neill, Alex Ferguson and Terry Venables.

But the FAI have instead opted for an unlikely double act in Staunton - Ireland’s most-capped player with 102 appearances to his name – and Robson.

Staunton said: “I’m delighted and proud to be appointed Irish international team manager.

“I know that the calibre of the team I have will bring a huge range of experience and talent to the challenges that lie ahead. I can’t wait to get started.

“I hope that the drive, passion and commitment that we have can reflect the Irish fans’ real love for the game and have an impact, not just on the squad, but on the nation.”
click here...

Staunton celebrates his 37th birthday in six days time, while Robson will be 73 next month, with his experience seen as crucial.

Robson said “I am really looking forward to working with the new manager and his team.

“Steven’s record and reputation speak for themselves and I am delighted t help and advise Steven in any way he sees fit.

“I am totally confident the Irish international team has a really bright future.”

Although Staunton is regarded as a hero by supporters after a 13-year international career that included three World Cups, news of his impending appointment this past week has been met with a lukewarm response.

But FAI chief executive John Delaney is confident the duo can deliver.

“Steven has impressed people for many years with his attitude, commitment, dedication and his unrivalled knowledge of the dressing room,” said Delaney.

“He is highly respected, a natural motivator and I am confident he will make an excellent manager.

“Bobby brings a magnificent wealth of experience to his role as advisor in addition to his renowned passion and enthusiasm for the game.

“His knowledge, experiencand advice will be a valuable asset to Steven.

“The combination of talents, experience, knowledge, motivational skills and passion which this team brings to the management of the senior squad is utterly compelling.”

Tired&Emotional
13/01/2006, 2:18 PM
Anyone know how long they're contracted for?

brine3
13/01/2006, 2:25 PM
why is kelly the new goalkeeper coach? did packie quit, or does stan not like him?

i thought the donegal combination of bonner and given was a winning formula. given certainly put in nothing but perfect performances under bonner anyway

Anyone know how long they're contracted for?

stan for four years and robson for two is what i read, but i could be 'misremembering' this

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 2:27 PM
As you work in the FAI and won't be supporting,any chance I can have your tickets then?,afteral it's better to have people at the games that will support the team than tickets wasted on people that will only go vent their anger.

Ahem, that statement earlier that I work in FAI was rather tongue in cheek....

thejollyrodger
13/01/2006, 2:28 PM
Booner was costing too much and was living off his save back in 1990's. Time to cut off the dead wood IMHO.

If bobby if fit to serve out his contract it will be a surprise.

Karlos
13/01/2006, 2:28 PM
Maybe not what many were hoping for but certainly far from doom and gloom.

Delaney said. "The combination of talents, experience, knowledge, motivational skills and passion which this team brings to the management of the senior squad is utterly compelling", he said.

I find it difficult to diagree with this statement from Delaney - there's certainly great potential there. I'm slightly dismayed that so many are writing this off before it even happens. I don't think this appointment is any worse than when McCarthy or Kerr where put in charge and think lessons may have been somewhat learned by intorducing a man in Bobby Robson with a through knowledge of the world & european game at the highest level as well as a proven record in youth development.

I'll only whisper it, but this could prove to be a fine appointment if we have the right players availabale. Full Support here.

on a side note, just wondering would there have been as much of a media uproar had Roy Keane for example gotten the job in a similar scenario. It's easy to say there would because it hasn't happen but i have my doubts. Saiipan has been done to death here and I don't want to revist it but it appears in the media at least that many journalists have been unable to look past that when commenting on this appointment. They are either in the for or against group based on what went on back then and alot of the reporting I've read thus far has not been objective.

Schlooooomp
13/01/2006, 2:29 PM
I am disappointed with the appointment but hopefuully Staunton will prove all the doubters wrong (myself included), Austria-Switzerland here we come.

gustavo
13/01/2006, 2:33 PM
didnt want him in the job but he is there now so gonna get behind him

silentbob
13/01/2006, 2:35 PM
Very happy that Stans appointment has been confirmed. I've touted his name since the early days after Kerrs departure. I'm sure he will get on with Bobby Robson and that together they will get Ireland to Euro 2008. Well done Stan and good luck>

(before anyone asks this is how I really feel and its not a windup)

klein4
13/01/2006, 2:35 PM
Maybe not what many were hoping for but certainly far from doom and gloom.

Delaney said. "The combination of talents, experience, knowledge, motivational skills and passion which this team brings to the management of the senior squad is utterly compelling", he said.

I find it difficult to diagree with this statement from Delaney - there's certainly great potential there. I'm slightly dismayed that so many are writing this off before it even happens. I don't think this appointment is any worse than when McCarthy or Kerr where put in charge and think lessons may have been somewhat learned by intorducing a man in Bobby Robson with a through knowledge of the world & european game at the highest level as well as a proven record in youth development.

I'll only whisper it, but this could prove to be a fine appointment if we have the right players availabale. Full Support here.

on a side note, just wondering would there have been as much of a media uproar had Roy Keane gotten the job in a similar scenario. It's easy to say there would because it hasn't happen but i have my doubts.
The problem with staunton for me(and I agree it could turn out to be a great appointment) is that he has never ever shown any evidence that he stood out from the other internationals as management material. he was always a member of the squad and that was it. has anyone even heard him express an opinion beyond the usual post match football cliches?
And with your interest/knowledge of coaching Karlos, do you think two people can work? do you not see the potential for conflict/confusion?

Tired&Emotional
13/01/2006, 2:37 PM
stan for four years and robson for two is what i read, but i could be 'misremembering' this

Sounds reasonable for both....cheers

Austria-Switzerland here we come.

Here's hoping!!

KK77
13/01/2006, 2:38 PM
Yeah all the best Stan

dr_peepee
13/01/2006, 2:41 PM
"Still, I'm right behind Stan. It's maybe not the appointment we were all looking for but there's nothing to suggest that he won't handle it.

Eh!! How about his youth and inexperience???
He'll spend the next four years cutting his teeth at our expense.

brine3
13/01/2006, 2:46 PM
Someone here once said this wouldn't make the news in other countries.

Leading headline in the sports section of Dutch teletext:
Steve Staunton bondscoach Ierland

We're more important than we think we are! (or maybe the Dutch just think so after us knocking them out... :D)

Stuttgart88
13/01/2006, 2:49 PM
Someone here once said this wouldn't make the news in other countries.
Thta was me, and I said it in response to the accusation that we'd now be the laughing stock of Europe. So tell me this: is this a major talking point in Holland i.e., is this really "news"? Are they laughing at us?

TheBoss
13/01/2006, 2:58 PM
This is a joke.

Ireland get a man that was a defensive coach for League 1 side Walsall and has no experience whatsoever about management let alone international management.

I am so disappointed with this appointment and feel that we are going to get worse as a football nation and therefore young children in their homes will not want to become footballers because they see how bad the team is and will get no incentive to play football.

Baobby Robson, why get him as a number 2 when he is capable of doing the job on his own, he has proved that he is a great manager when it comes to national league football and international football. The job should have been his and Staunton no where near the setup.

I think that they made a mistake in getting rid of Chris Hughton who is considered the best coach in the England and Ireland get rid of him for a coach that was at Walsall for 6 months.

Stuttgart88
13/01/2006, 3:02 PM
I think that they made a mistake in getting rid of Chris Hughton who is considered the best coach in the England and Ireland
I've asked a lot on this forum just how accountable should Hughton be for the errors of Kerr's tenor but I don't recall any responses. However, I'm told that the Kerr documentary on RTE before Christmas showed Hughton in a very bad light. Anyone have any comment?

Karlos
13/01/2006, 3:02 PM
The problem with staunton for me(and I agree it could turn out to be a great appointment) is that he has never ever shown any evidence that he stood out from the other internationals as management material. he was always a member of the squad and that was it. has anyone even heard him express an opinion beyond the usual post match football cliches? I don't know this for sure but from what I've read he was a player representative during his time with us and was very vocal on issues relating to the team. It's imperative that the new coach is seen to have the players best interests at heart and gets their respect. By all accounts he's held in very high esteem by the likes of Given, Duff & Keane. I think Quinn often took on the role of media spokesperson but Staunton's back round work and negotiations never went unnoticed. I hate harping back to Japan but I must say the team did look in good spirits and very unified back then. I'm certainly willing to give him a chance

And with your interest/knowledge of coaching Karlos, do you think two people can work? do you not see the potential for conflict/confusion?
in club football it hasn't really worked with joint managers (Evans & Houllier) but on the other hand two man and three man coaching teams work very well when the coaches know their roles and don't harbour abitions to oust the manager.

I'll use Arsenal as an example as it's what I know quite well. Wenger working with his assitant Pat Rice and the grossly undervalued (at least in media circles) experienced coach/consultant Yugoslav, Boro Primomac was worked brilliantly for years now because of the understanding of roles within the team. The input of the coaches to a huge extent goes largely unaccredited but should never be underestimated. Wenger has credited Boro as being one of the main driving forces of success at Arsenal.

Another major plus is that Staunton & Robson won't clash over issues surrounding signing of players which was a problem in the past with the likes of Hoddle & Pleat and possibly will be with Arnesan at Chelsea.
Apart from that I think Norway or was it Sweden (or both!) had a joint managerial team which brough great success in the past - it defiently is horses for courses. It really will depend on how effectively the roles are defined but from what i've read it looks like Staunton and McDonald will be, to use my analagy, Wenger & Rice while Robson will work in the old wise experienced Boro role and hpefully it brings similar success!

There's always a risk it won't but there'd be a risk no matter who was in charge. We'll just have to wait and see ;)

Tired&Emotional
13/01/2006, 3:07 PM
....Kerr's tenor ....

Didn't know BK was a cultured fan of opera:)

Stuttgart88
13/01/2006, 3:08 PM
Didn't know BK was a cultured fan of opera:)
He certainly went out on a flat note. Boom boom!

I deserved that one :)

drinkfeckarse
13/01/2006, 3:11 PM
Eh!! How about his youth and inexperience???
He'll spend the next four years cutting his teeth at our expense.

Of course, as did Van Basten, Hughes, Klinnsman etc. Look at how how they destroyed their respective National teams with their inexperiance....

Stuttgart88
13/01/2006, 3:14 PM
I don't know this for sure but from what I've read he was a player representative during his time with us and was very vocal on issues relating to the team.
I think both Kelly and Staunton were seen very much as "shop steward" type figures within the team.

dr_peepee
13/01/2006, 3:15 PM
I'm told that the Kerr documentary on RTE before Christmas showed Hughton in a very bad light. Anyone have any comment?

Not really!! Kerr said allot without ever actually saying anything, if that makes sense. I didn't take much from the show to be honest. There was more meat in the interview that was posted here shortly before the show itself aired. Cant' remember who with.

Dublin12
13/01/2006, 3:16 PM
I think both Kelly and Staunton were seen very much as "shop steward" type figures within the team.

Brown noses more like

brine3
13/01/2006, 3:19 PM
Are they laughing at us?

the teletext story went on to mention that we've appointed a 76 year old as a "mentor". i have a feeling one or two chuckles will be had by whoever read that story

FarBeag
13/01/2006, 3:19 PM
I, like many am not overwhelmed that Staunton got the job. It may or may not work and if its the latter I guess its us poor fans that has to suffer the consequences.

He has it now and we can't change that, so all that is left for us is to give him our support.I am sure that he himself is aware of many negative attitudes to his appointment and has got something to prove to get the many doubters on his side.I will give him the chance at least.He may prove us wrong.

nedder
13/01/2006, 3:20 PM

And will you be supporting the team?

I really hope he proves you wrong, and you have to come back on this site and eat your words.

I can understand your dislike for Delaney, but surely you'll get behind the team?
I'm sure you'd still support the Villa if you didn't like the manager?

pete
13/01/2006, 3:21 PM
Surely of the least experienced International management teams in recent memory

Staunton - supposedly player "coach" at League One but probably just a player-ballboy in practice working under vastly inexperienced Merson.

MacDonald - reserve team coach at Aston Villa. FFS hes not even a 1st team coach so working with kids.

Robson - glorified scout.

Kelly - has he any coaching experience? IMO no need for this to be fulltime as very limited role anyway.

Stans done well to 500k 4 year gig for what really is a part-time job when no club would have touched him. Nice work if you can get it. :rolleyes:

geysir
13/01/2006, 3:24 PM
There's always a risk it won't but there'd be a risk no matter who was in charge. We'll just have to wait and see ;)
Good post Karlos.
We can only judge it after the team have settled in.
I have a good feeling about the blend of the personalities involved in the set up but can only hope that it works out at this stage.
It took ages for me to get over the appointment of Charlton and the FAI kok up then, but it did not affect one bit my support for the team win or lose,

Jerry The Saint
13/01/2006, 4:07 PM
"The combination of talents, experience, knowledge, motivational skills and passion which this team brings to the management of the senior squad is utterly compelling"

Ha-ha :D "Utterly compelling" :D What a tool! :rolleyes:

Tired&Emotional
13/01/2006, 4:16 PM
Ha-ha :D "Utterly compelling" :D What a tool! :rolleyes:

Good one Jerry - more realistic!

OwlsFan
13/01/2006, 5:11 PM
Amazing how most think this will be a disaster before the first ball is kicked. Everyone talks about tactics and substitutions as if they were managers and blame Kerr for a whole host of decisions and thus think they are all managers themselves. Football is quite a simple game played for the most part by simple people. Managing a team isn't rocket science. You need (a) tactical nous, (b) motivational skills and (c) good judgement and (d) luck. A player who is very experienced doesn't need to have been a manager for years to pick up these skills - most of us here think we know the answers even though we weren't even professional footballers.

Personally, I don't understand how Staunton was picked ahead of someone like Aldridge but the decision has been made - it is a very interesting choice and both Staunton and I suspect Delaney will stand or fall by the results of the first campaign (it won't go 4 years if the first campaign is a disaster). However, no one at this stage can say whether the combination will work. I remember there was huge criticism of the Jack Charlton appointment. On the face of it, it is a strange choice but Stan could be the man. Let's hope he is now the dice has been cast.

geysir
13/01/2006, 5:27 PM
Some interesting comments from Delaney.
He said its a collective decision of the Sub Committee and then the FAI board and he supports that decision 100%. (thereby avoiding sole responsibility)
Also said that Staunton came to them first with the proposal and the back up team was Staunton's plan.
Walsall supporters were wondering what Robson was doing hanging around their stadium some time in December, Optimistically they thought he was in for the Walsall job.

Superhoops
13/01/2006, 6:59 PM
....... On the face of it, it is a strange choice but Stan could be the man. .......
Despite his lack of managerial experience, Stephen Staunton is no mug. He had been around international football for a long time and with 102 caps and three World Cup finals behind him, I would say he has learned a thing or two.

People have mentioned Staunton's 'threachery' in Saipan but for my money he showed admirable leadership skills. He captained and motivated a team, left without their best player in extraordinary circumstances, to a more than credible performance on the biggest stage of all.

The way some people are talking, you would think that Delaney had pulled in off the street the first person he saw passing the green door in Merrion Square. Throughout his club and international career, Staunton has shown himself to be a shrewd operator with a tough mindset, all of which will stand him in good stead in the Ireland manager's job.

When he was playing, I gave Stan as much abuse as anyone but now he is the manager, he will have my fullest support, because I want to see Ireland doing well. I hope every genuine Irish football supporter will do the same and get behind Stan and the team.

Karlos
13/01/2006, 8:08 PM
Maybe we should start a thread with all the names of those now denoucing their support of the Ireland National Team and see how many crawl back if things start to go well.

I'm apalled by some of the comments before a ball is even kicked (or a Coaching Session started!). Best supporters in the world, my arse! (I was going to go down the 'majority' are great road but thought I'd keep it simple as I've learned all too recently, there's a bit of confusion understanding minority and majority when it relates to Football Fans!! :D ;) ).

I really hope that those not interested in supporting our national team stay away from lansdowne Road. The team don't need that negativity (particulary any new players brought in).

You can tell some people are just praying for us to fail so that they throw the aul 'i told ya so' back. We'll have a poor performance at some stage and the knifes will be out straight away. Ironically I'd put money that someone who was appalled when the media started a Kerr witchhunt will be leading the pack on foot.ie against Staunton. There's some contenders for leaders of that break away faction already and a quick search on older posts on Kerr topics makes for interesting reading. ;)

geysir
13/01/2006, 8:08 PM
Then close the door on your way out please.

klein4
13/01/2006, 8:14 PM
there will be a few lonely people at lansdowne for the next qualifiers I take it?
if you insist on going give them hand with the building.

Karlos
13/01/2006, 8:19 PM
if you insist on going give them hand with the building.

Let's get the 'knocking down' done first!! ;)

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 8:28 PM
Let's get the 'knocking down' done first!! ;)

Did anybody body see dufflecoat delaney on the news dodging THE question"what do you make of the overwhelming negative reaction?" He would not answer the ****ing question.,....i said it before and i'll say till i die its all a load of ******

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 8:32 PM
And will you be supporting the team?

I really hope he proves you wrong, and you have to come back on this site and eat your words.

I can understand your dislike for Delaney, but surely you'll get behind the team?
I'm sure you'd still support the Villa if you didn't like the manager?

True. I must have met you in the FAI Junior Cup Site yeah?

geysir
13/01/2006, 8:54 PM
..i said it before and i'll say till i die its all a load of ******
any chance of you saying it elsewhere. 'It' was flogged to death here by you a long time ago.

geysir
13/01/2006, 9:54 PM
Anybody read Niall Quinn's article in today's Guardian. I don't begrudge our ex players earning a few bob from punditry or journalism but this article takes moronicity to new levels.
There was a curious bit of information,
"the FAI was effectively left with a simple choice. A combination of Ronnie Whelan and John Aldridge made some sense. Steve was the other option,". That's the first I heard of those two as a pair looking for the job. It hardly constituted an alternative to Staunton's package, still an odd couple all the same. http://football.guardian.co.uk/Columnists/Column/0,4284,1685315,00.html

The Legend
13/01/2006, 9:57 PM
In the end I guess it was a job nobody with any real management experience wanted. So... thats that!