PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Champion - Names of players on trial

shedhead
12/01/2006, 7:10 PM
Connor in cash plea to business community

By Michael Moran

SLIGO Rovers manager, Sean Connor, has issued an impassioned plea to the business and commercial sectors to back his team re-building plans....warning that the strength of next season's squad will depend on the response.

"If this town wants Premier Division football on a sustained and successful basis then people are going to have to get behind us. At the end of the day, it is all down to finance," Connor declared.

With new recruit Chris Turner set to put pen to paper this week, the Rovers manager has also revealed that former Mansfield Town defender, Gavin Peers, and ex-Hibernian centre back, Jimmy McKenzie are both due at the Showgrounds prior to pre-season training with a view to signing contracts.

However, Connor has admitted that his ability to attract players to the newly promoted First Division champions will very much depend on the resources at his disposal.

Rovers officials are likely to contact businesses and commercial outlets in the coming weeks in a bid to secure much-needed finance.

"Obviously, I want to try to push the committee for the biggest budget I can get. Understandably, they have to be prudent and in view of that, it is imperative that the local business and commercial sectors come on board.

"Be it €500 or €5,000 every contribution would help. I am totally confident that if I can get the budget I want, Sligo Rovers will have a good squad, more than capable of competing at the top level," he maintained.

Connor is hoping to add another left sided player and another striker to his squad and is in talks with a number of potential recruits.

Meanwhile, former Mansfield right-back, Peers will stay in Sligo for at least three weeks, having been recommended to Connor by Birmingham City manager, Steve Bruce.

McKenzie will also spend some time here as Connor weighs up the options available to him.

However, one player now unlikely to be joining the Showgrounds squad is Finn Harps', Chris Breen.

Connor had targeted Breen, but with a tribunal likely to put a fee of over €20,000 on any transfer deal, the Rovers boss has poured cold water on any move for the Donegal man.

Elsewhere, offers from Irish League clubs for striker Paul Brown have fallen short of Connor's valuation and the former Limavady front man is now likely to report back for pre-season training with Rovers on January 21st, if he does not move on in the interim.

gustavo
12/01/2006, 8:42 PM
http://msnsport.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=352068&CPID=12&clid=&lid=6&title=Stags+release+Peers

thats about peers

the others guys name is Jamie McKenzie not jimmy if you want to google him , he was with montrose on loan this season

Mayo Red
12/01/2006, 9:19 PM
According to Aertel, Declan Boyle has been released by Harps. At 31, might provide good cover and with no fee would perhaps be a reasonable option?

gustavo
12/01/2006, 9:57 PM
yeah would be an interesting one to have back !

Royal rover
13/01/2006, 7:50 AM
Boyle would definetly be a good addition to the squad, still hard to believe he's only 31 though

akearins
13/01/2006, 9:33 AM
http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/AcademyNewsDetailClub/0,,10303~589482,00.html

http://www.soccerfactsuk.co.uk/player_details.php?playerid=465

Going by these stats he was regular in teh first team so musnt be too bad

akearins
13/01/2006, 9:35 AM
http://www.soccerfactsuk.co.uk/player_details.php?playerid=465

Seemed to be a regular in the first team so must be alright

Red4Eva
13/01/2006, 11:29 PM
According to Aertel, Declan Boyle has been released by Harps. At 31, might provide good cover and with no fee would perhaps be a reasonable option?

in 2004 harps were tryin to force him out cos of his high wages. they even dropped him to u21s to pi$$ him off. i doubt connor wud have any interest in him whatsoever unless he plays for peanuts. what's da point of havin a 31yo harps reject who isn't gonna get a game. connor wants young, hungry players with a point to prove(eg. foy) who will either make an impact straight away or others(u21s) who will be back-up until next year

feo123
14/01/2006, 12:10 AM
dont go near any harps defenders from last season! they were an absolute disgrace!!