View Full Version : Article: A Farce to be reckoned with

lofty9
12/01/2006, 12:51 PM
Interesting reading from:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=354887&root=europe&cc=5739

A farce to be reckoned with

Kevin Palmer
Archive

The truth is often much stranger than the fiction.

DavidCannon/GettyImages
Staunton captained his country at the World Cup of 2002.So said the ever-unpredictable Southampton chairman, Rupert Lowe, as he oversaw Harry Redknapp's curious return to Portsmouth last month, yet the same phrase can certainly be applied to the imminent appointment of Steve Staunton as the new manager of the Republic of Ireland national team.

Judging individuals before they have even kicked a ball is an unfortunate trap many an observer has fallen into before when commenting on this ever unpredictable game, yet it is hard to find any enthusiasm for an appointment which is as bizarre as that of former England rugby coach Sir Clive Woodward being thrown into a prominent role by the aforementioned Mr Lowe at his own football club.

In fairness, Sir Clive has more coaching experience than Staunton, whose best stab at management to date has been working with a bunch of kids at League One outfit Walsall.

So, after much debating and suggestions that Martin O'Neill and Terry Venables were on the brink of becoming Ireland boss, the incompetent team of cronies who work at the Football Association of Ireland in Dublin have come up with this little belter.

Given the job, apparently, due to the passion he will bring to the job, Ireland's most capped international is not a man who strikes you as a leader of men.

While he was a decent player for Liverpool and Aston Villa, among others, being subdued and often abrasive when faced with the media is hardly the basis for a healthy working relationship with a body of men who have gone a long way to seeing off both Mick McCarthy and Brian Kerr from the top job in Irish soccer over recent times.

That former England boss, Sir Bobby Robson, will be working alongside Staunton in some kind of advisory role has softened the blow for some. Yet the overriding feeling among the Irish press pack seems to be that this is a huge shot in the dark by the FAI.

'If the Staunton-Bobby Robson card now carries such thrilling potential, it is tempting to wonder why it took the Association three months to settle upon it,' asked the Irish Independent.

'Both men, presumably, were just as available last October as they are today. Equally, given that they have never worked together in football, it smacks of a gamble that may come to reflect witheringly on the haste with which Kerr was jettisoned. The impression given at the time was that the FAI had a definite plan of succession. This didn't prove to be the case.'

Stan, as he is forever known due to his alleged resemblance to comedy legend Stan Laurel, has kept a predictable silence as news leaked out from his adviser, Michael Kennedy, that he had landed this job. His friendship with FAI chief John Delaney is believed to have been the key to his appointment, yet you have to ask whether he has already been undermined by his new employers' insistence in imposing a senior figure such as Robson in his management team.

LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages
Sir Bobby Robson: Oliver Hardy to Steve Staunton's Stan Laurel.'It is the biggest gamble in Irish soccer history,' the Irish Independent continued. 'The fact that the FAI has appointed Robson as a 'guiding mentor' to Staunton shouldn't inspire confidence. It suggests that the FAI has already lost confidence in the new manager.'

Michael Moynihan from the Irish Examiner had an equally damning assessment of this latest farce. 'Irrespective of formal declarations, the FAI's intention seems clear, and having Robson give Staunton the benefit of his experience is a good idea in principle,' he wrote. 'However, in practice it appears fatal to both.

'Ideally Robson would be seen as a font of hard-earned wisdom advising soon-to-be-sole boss Staunton, but in reality the players may view Staunton's leadership as compromised and Robson as a training-ground irrelevance.'

Mention the name of Staunton to many an Irish soccer fan and one incident springs to mind.

Harsh though it is for a man who represented his country with dignity on no less than 102 occasions, anyone who has any sympathies for Roy Keane associate Staunton with the ultimate act of treachery as he stood alongside then Ireland boss Mick McCarthy in his bitter dispute with Keane prior to the 2002 World Cup finals.

Appearing at a press conference to back the manager just as the storm in Saipan blew up in spectacular fashion, the Dundalk-born defender happily accepted the captain's armband following Keane's less than satisfactory exit and was viewed by Keano fans as the ultimate backstabber.

Whatever side of the fence you were on in that little domestic incident will help persuade you whether to support Staunton's accession to Ireland boss at the tender age of 37, so it was no surprise to see McCarthy's key ally in the Keane storm write this glowing tribute to Ireland's new soccer leader.

'Irish football needs a motivator right now and Stan is the man who's been there, done that and has the t-shirt,' states respected writer Cathal Dervan.

'The Irish team, for all their World Cup misgivings, aren't as bad as their current world ranking would suggest. We still have the players - the Givens, Duffs, the Robbie Keanes and the O'Sheas - to make an impression on the international stage. Staunton has been in more trenches than any other Irish player ever.

'All Ireland are lacking right now is leadership, a manager who knows how to get the best out of the players, someone who can inspire them, cajole them and offer them real belief. Someone who has been in the trenches of world football and came out smiling on the other side. Staunton has been in more trenches than any other Irish player ever.'

Being Irish will certainly stand Staunton in good stead as he attempts to cut his managerial teeth at international level. While his critics would never admit as much, McCarthy's biggest crime was that he had an English accent and even to this day, English-born Ireland internationals such as Matt Holland, Clinton Morrison and Andy O'Brien receive more negative press in Ireland than the 'homegrown' stars.

JeffJMitchell/GettyImages
Guess which man is at the heart of the controversy over the appointment.The 'anyone but Venables' camp will be delighted that one of their own has got the job, but Brian Kerr's former assistant, Chris Hughton, is less enthusiastic. He suggests the appointment of Staunton represents 'a major gamble' for the FAI, while Ronnie Whelan, a former team-mate of 'Stan', has been among the first to express his doubts that the partnership with Robson can be successful for Ireland.

You can hardly blame Whelan for feeling a little bemused by the appointment. When this writer interviewed Whelan for Ireland's Sunday World newspaper and quizzed him on whether he fancied succeeding Brian Kerr as Ireland boss back in October, his answer was blunt. 'Of course, I'd love the chance to manage my country,' stated the former Southend boss.

'But I don't think they would consider someone who has done a bit of coaching in the lower reaches of the English league and a bit more in Cypriot football.'

How wrong you were, Ronnie! The long search for an Ireland manager can to an end when it was decided that a man who has never before held a coaching position in the sport of soccer was perfectly suited for the post.

It's a bit like aforementioned oval ball overlord Sir Clive Woodward being given a job in the round ball game before he has learned his trade. Now that would be a silly idea...

OwlsFan
12/01/2006, 1:05 PM
It's a bit like aforementioned oval ball overlord Sir Clive Woodward being given a job in the round ball game before he has learned his trade. Now that would be a silly idea...

Stupid comparison. Staunton has a wealth of experience in soccer, both at club and international level. I doubt if Woodward ever kicked a soccer ball in his life.

The trouble with the Staunton appointment from his point of view, if it comes to pass, is that because most people don't agree with it, he will be given very little time by fans and media alike. I think most people were prepared to be patient with Messrs Charlton, McCarthy and Kerr. However, I don't think Staunton will have any honeymoon period and if things start to go pear shaped early on, the knives will be out.

And of course if things go well, all the critics will suddenly disappear. Such is football.

Donal81
12/01/2006, 1:46 PM
While he was a decent player for Liverpool and Aston Villa, among others, being subdued and often abrasive when faced with the media is hardly the basis for a healthy working relationship with a body of men who have gone a long way to seeing off both Mick McCarthy and Brian Kerr from the top job in Irish soccer over recent times.

Mention the name of Staunton to many an Irish soccer fan and one incident springs to mind.

Harsh though it is for a man who represented his country with dignity on no less than 102 occasions, anyone who has any sympathies for Roy Keane associate Staunton with the ultimate act of treachery as he stood alongside then Ireland boss Mick McCarthy in his bitter dispute with Keane prior to the 2002 World Cup finals.

Appearing at a press conference to back the manager just as the storm in Saipan blew up in spectacular fashion, the Dundalk-born defender happily accepted the captain's armband following Keane's less than satisfactory exit and was viewed by Keano fans as the ultimate backstabber.

Being Irish will certainly stand Staunton in good stead as he attempts to cut his managerial teeth at international level. While his critics would never admit as much, McCarthy's biggest crime was that he had an English accent and even to this day, English-born Ireland internationals such as Matt Holland, Clinton Morrison and Andy O'Brien receive more negative press in Ireland than the 'homegrown' stars.

I don't know who wrote this article and there are some good points in it, if they're just the obvious ones about the FAI, Robson and a lack of experience. But the above points are ridiculous.

Firstly, McCarthy and Kerr got themselves sacked from their jobs, it wasn't the media. Anyway, the media influence on the FAI is clearly over-estimated, if the Merrion idiots poor PR status is anything to go by. McCarthy went because largely of Saipan and its lingering effects. Not only that but he had dallied with the Sunderland job before that anyway. Kerr went for a number of reasons. The media were harsh on him in some quarters but at its best it was just questions of his decisions. At its worst, the media criticism surely comes with the territory and nice wages.

Secondly, to mention Saipan in all of this is just sad. Keane has retired, he's out of Irish football and good luck to him with the Bhoys. We could debate Stan's role in the whole thing all day and night but why bother? It's over, it's done with, let's move on.

Thirdly, to suggest that his native Irishness will stand to him moreso than an English manager is just, frankly, f*cking ridiculous. Did this writer ever hear of Jack Charlton? Or maybe Mick McCarthy? 'McCarthy's biggest crime was that he had an English accent...' What does this mean? It didn't seem to bother the Irish players who played a lot better under him than they did under Drimnagh man Kerr. It didn't seem to bother the Irish fans who supported McCarthy until Saipan threw up what it did. It didn't bother the Irish media, which reflected the fans in its support for McCarthy until Saipan.

Matt Holland, Clinton Morrison and Andy O'Brien receive more negative press than Irish stars because they're not born here? Now this is just baseless opinion, with no grain of fact behind it. For f*ck's sake, who got more criticism on this site over the last campaign: Steve Carr, Ian Harte, Robbie Keane, Gary Doherty, Andy Reid, John O'Shea, Matt Holland, Clinton Morrison or Andy O'Brien? The three Anglo-Irish got off fairly lightly.

This article has some good if already tired points but it's let down by this complete horsesh!te.

pete
12/01/2006, 2:42 PM
'Irish football needs a motivator right now and Stan is the man who's been there, done that and has the t-shirt,' states respected writer Cathal Dervan.

'The Irish team, for all their World Cup misgivings, aren't as bad as their current world ranking would suggest. We still have the players - the Givens, Duffs, the Robbie Keanes and the O'Sheas - to make an impression on the international stage. Staunton has been in more trenches than any other Irish player ever.

ROLMAO :D

Who respects Dervan & isn't O'Shea a liability?

Jerry The Saint
12/01/2006, 2:44 PM
The whole article lost any shred of credibility when I read this sentence:

:eek:

Stuttgart88
12/01/2006, 2:45 PM
Agree totally Donal.

geysir
12/01/2006, 3:13 PM
Mention the name of Staunton to many an Irish soccer fan and one incident springs to mind. Out of many, his celebration after scoring the winning goal against Malta.

The Legend
12/01/2006, 4:32 PM
How about costing us about 3 World cup/Euro competitions with his lame defending!:mad:

wws
12/01/2006, 4:45 PM
before the ireland france showdown dervan actually wrote a piece suggesting we should take our motivation from the bonnie tyler song "i need a hero"

"we need 11 Bonnie Tylers out there if we're to beat the French"

klein4
12/01/2006, 5:15 PM
Did Dervan get a book on WW1 for chrimbo?
He said trenches about three or four times.

geysir
12/01/2006, 5:50 PM
How about costing us about 3 World cup/Euro competitions with his lame defending!:mad:
Legend you seem to consistently offer negative comments about Irish players without any semblance of rationale to back them up. That has to be one of the most stupid ignorant post I have read on a Irish player in a long time.
Please enlighten me on the reasons behind these deeply held 'convictions'.

The Legend
12/01/2006, 5:56 PM
sorry.. just negative on Staunton, i have never liked him, this is my worst nightmare

livehead1
12/01/2006, 7:25 PM
got no choice now but to back the man, im hoping, maybe rather wishfully that he brings a breath of fresh air, he must have been very impressive in the interview as there is more time for them to search for a successor, lets hope he brings new ideas to the forefront and that he hasnt got so close to mark kinsella that he sees him ready for a recall! lol you never know, lets live in hope that it will all work out nice, a bit like the FAI must be as they eat their dinners this evening.

M@ttitude
13/01/2006, 1:46 AM
sorry.. just negative on Staunton, i have never liked him, this is my worst nightmare
You cant say he was a terrible player!! Never liked him personally? Have you ever watched saccer?

Snoop Drog
13/01/2006, 1:53 AM

Yeah, covered in factor 50 in Orlando.

I would have preferred Ronnie Whelan to Staunton- More charismatic for the press (who seem to have a worryingly strong influence in Irish football these days- And we thought the English had it bad...)

Plus (slightly) more experience and, imo, comes across as a stronger leader of men. If Whelan was peeved by this situation then I think he would have a right to be

Plastic Paddy
13/01/2006, 7:15 AM
Matt Holland, Clinton Morrison and Andy O'Brien receive more negative press than Irish stars because they're not born here? Now this is just baseless opinion, with no grain of fact behind it. For f*ck's sake, who got more criticism on this site over the last campaign: Steve Carr, Ian Harte, Robbie Keane, Gary Doherty, Andy Reid, John O'Shea, Matt Holland, Clinton Morrison or Andy O'Brien? The three Anglo-Irish got off fairly lightly.

*sound of collective intake of breath from 2Gs at being referred to as "Anglo-Irish"...* :eek:

:ball: PP

Reality Bites
13/01/2006, 8:40 AM
Ronnie Whelan more Charisma!!!!!!!! did you ever hear him doing co-commentary for TV3??, its worst than stapelton, don't get me wrong he was a legend as a player, but he wouldn't cut it as a manager, his ill faith trip into management in Greece/Cyprus was a mixed bag at best.

as_i_say
13/01/2006, 8:48 AM
Its Stans leadership qualities that would worry me-on the pitch he was the type of captain that Kenny Cunningham was-just a guy that his fellow pros respeceted rather than a great leader of men. Its his talent, or lack of, of speaking, whether publicly or in the dressing room that would worry me as well-in any interviews i've seen he can barely string 2 words together!

But not many people were in favour of Charlton taking over and he did ok (should have done a lot better with the world class players we had). I'm very disappointed MON didnt get the job because i really thought the muppet show were holding out for him.

It might work out for him, lets hope it does.

Donal81
13/01/2006, 9:37 AM
*sound of collective intake of breath from 2Gs at being referred to as "Anglo-Irish"...* :eek:

:ball: PP

I had a feeling that would get a response. No offence meant. Quite simply, those who were born and reared in England and claim Irish citizenship/nationality/ethnicity. I was only distinguishing them from the Irish-born players to make a point against what that article was saying. Normally, and you can check my posts if you want, if someone wants to play for us and shows that passion, they're just Irish.

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 10:28 AM
You cant say he was a terrible player!! Never liked him personally? Have you ever watched saccer?

I thought in the early days he was a fine player, but in the later years he played some sh*** games. Of all the candidates for the job he in my mind was the worst possible choice. The FAI are obsessed with making managers out of past players (especially it seems, from the Charlton era) and none of the ex-international have a good record. That said, I shall never criticise John Giles.

and anyone that says "drop saipan, its not relevant", is in my view taking a blinkered view. Of course its relevant. I'm sure there were players there who lost respect for Staunton after the way he shafted Keane. In fact the only present player i've heard of commentin is Clinto Morrisson? Did any of the others comment?

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 10:37 AM

While I love Ireland, I hope he is a fu*** disaster, and that we somehow manage to qualify after he is sacked after two games. Otherwise, if this proves, by some fluke to be a success the amount of Backslapping (as opposed to backstabbing for a change) between JD and his mates willbe unbearable, and these incompetents will be left in their position of power.

I definitely reckon Staunton was not first choice until very, very recently and got this job by default We need a disaster for the FAI to have any hope of changing

I

Greenbod
13/01/2006, 11:58 AM
and anyone that says "drop saipan, its not relevant", is in my view taking a blinkered view. Of course its relevant. I'm sure there were players there who lost respect for Staunton after the way he shafted Keane. In fact the only present player i've heard of commentin is Clinto Morrisson? Did any of the others comment?

It probably is relevant, your analysis of it however, is utterly backward. If anything Staunton would have gained respect with the players after Saipan, as evidenced by the manner in which they played under his captaincy.

Den Perry
13/01/2006, 12:38 PM
I take exception to you calling be backward

Donal81
13/01/2006, 12:44 PM

I'm not taking a blinkered view. I would say, actually, that you're the one taking a blinkered view in that Staunton "shafted Keane." I say we should move on from Saipan in general and not just in relation to Staunton. One could just as easily say that Staunton was standing by the manager and standing by the team, instead of standing by an individual (Keane). The whole thing was a mess on both sides and I've never come down on either side. As Keane said himself, there were no heroes out there. There's no point to this - this story is nearly four years old. McCarthy is gone and Keane is gone. Let's get over it.

By all accounts, Staunton did a wonderful job as captain. We could have done a lot out there if things hadn't gone tits up with Keane and McCarthy. As it happened, we did better than we should have, largely as a result of what was an average team playing above itself. Staunton's motivation as captain must have had something to do with this.

If you hope that Staunton is a disaster then please don't turn up to Lansdowne as most of us here will to get behind the team.

If anything was going to whip the FAI into shape, it was Saipan and Genesis. It didn't. The only thing that will change the FAI is if it's stood down entirely and a new organisation is built up from the bottom. Until that happens, it will continue to be run by goons more concerned with their own positions, their own egos and their own pockets than Irish football. That isn't Staunton's fault.

I don't think Staunton is the greatest manager in the world. Heck, he's not even the second-best manager in Walsall. But who do we think we are? We failed to beat Israel, Switzerland or France at home. We've blown the last two campaigns. We're not exactly brimming with young talent. We're not exactly a country of unfulfilled potential. If you're Hiddink, why would you bother? Staunton, on the other hand, has an obvious interest in the job. Jesus, just give him a chance instead of writing the whole thing off before we've even kicked a ball.

Greenbod
13/01/2006, 12:45 PM
I take exception to you calling be backward

Good! (even though I didn't in fact)

brine3
13/01/2006, 2:39 PM

orlando sunburn