PDA

View Full Version : Delaney's Inspiration?

Jerry The Saint
12/01/2006, 9:07 AM
I wonder if Ollie Byrne was consulted in the decision to make Staunton the new Ireland boss? Never mind the comparisons that are being made with Voller, Klinsmann, Rijkaard, etc. - the appointment this reminds me of is when Pat Fenlon was made Shels manager.

Vastly experienced, relatively successful playing career
Very close relationship to the current playing squad
Close to zero coaching experience
Decision made by a... controversial character, who enjoys being at the centre of everything.

A lot of people were highly sceptical of Fenlon's ability to do the job but it worked out well for Shels (until last season anyway:p ). Maybe Delaney pays more attention to the eircom League than he's given credit for...?

Nah, that doesn't sound right. Anyway, for every Pat Fenlon you could throw in a Gareth Farrelly or, God forbid, Derek Mountfield :eek: that didn't work out so well.

I think a more likely reason for this decision is that it presents an opportunity for glory that rarely presents itself to FAI chiefs. If, somehow, we manage to qualify for either of the next two tournaments Delaney will be hailed as some kind of visionary genius who spotted an exceptional managerial talent in Staunton that no-one else could see.:rolleyes:

Delaney is also, for want of a better word, a bit of a starfu*ker. The main complaint from the players over the past year is the drop in "spirit" among the Ireland squad - playing for Ireland isn't as much of a laugh as it used to be. Who better to restore the fun and make those poor unfortunate millionaires happy again than one of their old drinking buddies? Don't forget he wanted Bryan Robson the last time the job came up - just as well he's currently under contract at WBA!

Stuttgart88
12/01/2006, 9:22 AM
The main complaint from the players over the past year is the drop in "spirit" among the Ireland squad - playing for Ireland isn't as much of a laugh as it used to be. Who better to restore the fun and make those poor unfortunate millionaires happy again than one of their old drinking buddies? Don't forget he wanted Bryan Robson the last time the job came up - just as well he's currently under contract at WBA!
A bit too cynical I think. Team spirit is important. Although Kerr's authoritative techical approach has its merits in theory it just wasn't working. Not treating the players like kids doesn't mean a return to the boozy days of old is on the cards. There are other ways of fostering morale & spirit.