as_i_say
12/01/2006, 7:55 AM
Anyone?

razor
12/01/2006, 8:13 AM
PM'd you.

OwlsFan
12/01/2006, 8:58 AM
Nothing special about it. Unusual but not special. No goalie anywhere near the goal so he just had to punt the ball upfield into the empty net. Beckam's against Wimbledon, on the other hand, was much more skillful with the goalie off his line and he had to loop it over him.

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2006, 9:13 AM
You'd be surprised at the amount of people who wouldn't be able to reach the net from where he hit it from though, so it wasn't bad in that way.

as_i_say
12/01/2006, 9:22 AM
thanks for that

anto eile
13/01/2006, 8:08 PM
reminds me of a goal i scored last season

dfx-
13/01/2006, 9:19 PM
Nothing special about it. Unusual but not special. No goalie anywhere near the goal so he just had to punt the ball upfield into the empty net. Beckam's against Wimbledon, on the other hand, was much more skillful with the goalie off his line and he had to loop it over him.

:rolleyes:

I know I'd have difficulty curling the ball in from 60 yards with my right foot, never mind my wrong foot....

OwlsFan
14/01/2006, 9:07 AM
:rolleyes: Are you a professional footballer on 50K+ a week ? With no goalkeeper in the goal he just had to kick the ball from around the half way line into the empty goal. Didn't require half the amount of skill Beckam has to use to lob the goalie against Wimbledon.

anto1208
14/01/2006, 9:20 AM
:rolleyes: Are you a professional footballer on 50K+ a week ? With no goalkeeper in the goal he just had to kick the ball from around the half way line into the empty goal. Didn't require half the amount of skill Beckam has to use to lob the goalie against Wimbledon.if

some sence at last im being lambasted for suggesting it was nt an awsome goal as liverpool fans are calling it on the everton v liverpool thread .

it was a good goal allright but come on as you say a pro footballer kicking the ball 60 yards straight into an open goal isnt really spectacullar

blutil
14/01/2006, 10:37 AM
His first goal in the game was better i think. To be fair its not often that a player scores from his own half, whether it has the skill of Beckham or the awareness of alonso, so in that case it was a very good goal. Sullivan really should have stopped beckhams :D

deano
14/01/2006, 11:27 AM
:rolleyes: Are you a professional footballer on 50K+ a week ? With no goalkeeper in the goal he just had to kick the ball from around the half way line into the empty goal. Didn't require half the amount of skill Beckam has to use to lob the goalie against Wimbledon.

ah to be fair,scoring from the half way line with no keeper would be hard enough at times but to do so with your weaker foot would be really difficult.go out on a pitch and try it yourself under no pressure taking all the time you want and i would still bet bet that you would miss far more times than you would score! so for me it was a great goal by a class player and im a man united fan!!! :D

sligoman
14/01/2006, 2:51 PM
Owls fan isn't saying it was an easy goal to score. All he's saying is(and he's right;)) that Beckham's goal against Wimbledon was more difficult as he had to lob the keeper aswell.

dfx-
14/01/2006, 4:34 PM
Beckham's goal was from the halfway line, Alonso from 10 yards further back.

ah to be fair,scoring from the half way line with no keeper would be hard enough at times but to do so with your weaker foot would be really difficult.go out on a pitch and try it yourself under no pressure taking all the time you want and i would still bet bet that you would miss far more times than you would score! so for me it was a great goal by a class player and im a man united fan!!!

a pro footballer kicking the ball 60 yards straight

You see this is where the difference is. You tell me who can or who has ever kicked the ball 60 yards with their wrong foot straight at the goal, never mind score. It can't have any deviations, it can't end up the at the corner flag. Despite how accurate Alonso hit the ball, it still only just made it in after a few bounces of the ball. Even with open goals from corners very few players ever attempt such a shot because they can't hit it that far... There are plenty of occasions where teams break away with an open goal, how many have dared hit from 60 yards......?I'd love to know how many you can think of. In other words, there can be no goals to compare to Alonso because no one ever tries it. Since noone ever dares try it never mind score from it gives the goal that extra quality that seemingly some can't see beyond it being an open goal.:rolleyes:

Let's see defenders of the highest hoofing ability try it with an open goal with their wrong foot. Do you think Rio on his left could? Carragher? Campbell? Hyypia? Dunne? Weir? Yobo? Cunningham? O'Shea? All on their wrong foot?

I give defenders the chance because they are most likely to able to hit the ball high and hard down a pitch.

I wonder how many could do it. The power needed in the muscles in your leg must be such that it will keep going in. Added to the fact he meant to do it and it wasn't a fluke means it is a far better goal than *some* think.

sligoman
14/01/2006, 4:39 PM
I'm not saying Alonso's goal wasn't good cos it was, great in fact. But in fairness, it was not near as good as Beckham's. Yes he shot it from further back and still got it on target but Beckham still had to lift it above the keeper and make sure it came down in time to hit the net also. Alonso had no one to beat and Beckham had:p.

anto eile
14/01/2006, 5:48 PM
correction.my goal was better. was from 50 yards.just inside the oposition half, i hit it first time, lobbed/curled it over the keeper.
nothing special about alonsos goal.looked even a little sloppy with the ball bouncing/trickling over the line.
it was an open goal from a player on E50K a week. he should be able to do it in his feckin sleep

De Town
14/01/2006, 6:48 PM
correction.my goal was better. was from 50 yards.just inside the oposition half, i hit it first time, lobbed/curled it over the keeper.
nothing special about alonsos goal.looked even a little sloppy with the ball bouncing/trickling over the line.
it was an open goal from a player on E50K a week. he should be able to do it in his feckin sleep
Ah i scored one for my school last year that would be better than yours.

Playing in the centre of midfield. Opposition Keeper taking a kick out of the ground.....I was standing on the halfway line, fell on my foot and volleyed it straight back over the keepers head.....Didnt hit the ground once from when the keeper kicked it until it hit the net.:cool:

blutil
14/01/2006, 8:09 PM

Playing in the centre of midfield. Opposition Keeper taking a kick out of the ground.....I was standing on the halfway line, fell on my foot and volleyed it straight back over the keepers head.....Didnt hit the ground once from when the keeper kicked it until it hit the net.:cool:

thats nothing, i kicked the ball of our own crossbar, the ball then travelled up the pitch around 2 miles i'd say and lobbed their peter crouchesque 14 foot tall keeper who was standing on the line. i wasnt wearing boots either, and i was blindfolded.

De Town
14/01/2006, 10:24 PM
thats nothing, i kicked the ball of our own crossbar, the ball then travelled up the pitch around 2 miles i'd say and lobbed their peter crouchesque 14 foot tall keeper who was standing on the line. i wasnt wearing boots either, and i was blindfolded.
Thing is mine actually happened;)

blutil
14/01/2006, 10:48 PM
Thing is mine actually happened;)

so did mine ! :D as i said i was blindfolded at the time so i didnt see it, but im told thats exactly what happened. did i mention it was a bicycle kick ?

dfx-
15/01/2006, 3:10 AM

Nah, Alonso's was still better........;) :p

Roo69
16/01/2006, 12:48 PM
You'd be surprised at the amount of people who wouldn't be able to reach the net from where he hit it from though, so it wasn't bad in that way.

Your right there, Soccer AM had the cameras up with leeds seeing if the team could score from the half way, wityh no keeper and at there own pace. Only remember 1 lad putting it in the net......

Dricky
16/01/2006, 2:02 PM
Which is haeder hitting a 1 ft high target or hitting a 9ft high target?

anto eile
17/01/2006, 10:46 AM

yeah but i scored a goal in primary school on my lunch break when the keeper kicked it out from the 6yard box and from 30 yards i hit it on the volley first time and it flew straight into the goal ,hitting the netball net that was just behind our net-less football goals,which were of course just two piles of jumpers. super goal.better than yours.

thats of course out-done by the goal i scored the next day,getting the ball in my own half i beat about 8 opposition players as i dribbled through midfield, then rounded the keeper on my right and as i was about to tap it in i was slide tackled from behind and just managed to poke it over the line as i was taken down. imagine maradona v england except better

drinkfeckarse
17/01/2006, 11:46 AM

It depends on whether the target is just small, or far away........

noby
17/01/2006, 12:05 PM
What has Crouch got to do with it?

Donegalcelt
17/01/2006, 11:51 PM
Soccer AM's is the "Crossbar Challenge." Putting the ball in the net or wide is all the same - a fail. They don't aim to score, they aim to hit the crossbar. Whatever anyone thinks about Alonso's goal, it must have been something else for that Scouser who put £200 on him at the start of the season at 125/1 to score from inside his own half this season. £25,000 riding on the ball bouncing toward goal at about three miles an hour at the end! Class! BTW, I know it was discussed earlier but it's still class. What's the biggest pull (odds wise) anyone's got lately? Interesting topic, I managed 72/1 on Joe Cole to score first and england to beat the Norn Iron last MArch

Redtop
20/01/2006, 10:26 PM
theres is many pros who wouldnt score from 30 with there left foot in a open goal..it was a quality goal but his fist 1 was real quality

anto1208
28/01/2006, 10:28 PM
now hamans during the week was a great goal chipped the keeper from his own half .

OwlsFan
20/02/2006, 4:26 PM
Anyone see Chris Eagle's for Watford at the weekend - far superior to Alanso's effort and even Beckamesque ?

TheJamaicanP.M.
20/02/2006, 5:14 PM
Anyone see Chris Eagle's for Watford at the weekend - far superior to Alanso's effort and even Beckamesque ?

Saw that goal. It was something special. Was that Wayne Henderson that gave the ball away and got lobbed?

OwlsFan
21/02/2006, 11:05 AM
Saw that goal. It was something special. Was that Wayne Henderson that gave the ball away and got lobbed?

Afraid so :(

Block G Raptor
22/02/2006, 11:06 AM
What about Glen Crowe for Bohs against Pats a few years ago
best goal Ive ever seen. yard inside the pats half at the touchline keeper on his line and crowe volleys it in

feo123
25/02/2006, 1:34 PM
loads of people wouldnt be even able to score from there with thier strong foot, let lalone their weak foot......pure class goal!