PDA

View Full Version : Local Government Reform

Macy
12/01/2006, 8:19 AM
Posted this in the Port Tunnel thread. I'm getting sick of ministers never taking responsibility for decisions and problems. So should we reform local Government and reduce the central power, since they seemingly can do nothing even by their own admission?

If Ministers aren't willing to take responsibility, should we be taking power away from them and putting it into local councils? Have a fixed percentage of income tax for national infrastructure, health, social welfare etc, and then let local government set local income tax for local services instead? Directly elected mayors rather than county managers, councillors making up a cabinet style administration for local Government? Increase the numbers of local councillors if needs be, whilst reducing the number of TD's.

Perhaps even reinstall the health boards, with local funding too as there's no way that national politicians have the wherewithal and know how to fix it, and the HSE already has lost all credibility imo.

If all politics is local, lets make the decision making process more local.

pete
12/01/2006, 10:07 AM
Can local politicians be trusted? Do they even want the responsibility? Local politicians seem to be more adapt at dubious planning permission u-turns...

Macy
12/01/2006, 10:13 AM
Can local politicians be trusted? Do they even want the responsibility? Local politicians seem to be more adapt at dubious planning permission u-turns...
You'd obviously have to have new elections to go with the new structures. However, can national politicians be trusted? At least local politicians have to live and face their electorate every day, and not swanning around Dublin doing fook all except following the whip.

Bald Student
12/01/2006, 8:54 PM
At least local politicians have to live and face their electorate every dayI think that's the problem with what you're saying. If local politicians had the power we'd have no dumps, prisons or a lot of other necessary infrastructure built in the country. Local politicians are very bad at making tough decisions and that's why they have very little power.

A face
12/01/2006, 10:37 PM
The thing is the Ministers have to be trusted ..... i know the present lot cant be but the fact remains, we need to have each department having full scope to manage it properly.

Ministers are not accountable enough .... if it happened anywhere else then heads would roll. Here, they dont ..... but the main reason for that is because FF are in power too long. When they are out of government they are a good party, and thats where they need to be next time round. We HAVE TO have opposite in government next time round.

Totally different i know but, similar happened to the Tories in England, they were in power for far too long the last time round and alot damage done because they weren't contested. If FF get in next time, then there will be no incentive for them to change (adequetly change, reform) the way they do business now. They will do more good out of government than in, they'd pull up their socks and hopefully result in sort the shít out.

Plastic Paddy
12/01/2006, 10:39 PM
Local politicians are very bad at making tough decisions and that's why they have very little power.

:D

As head of corporate policy in a large London local authority I'd have to disagree with you on that one! They're not bad at all at making the tough decisions; just don't expect them to always consider the strategic view when working locally.

Any reform of local government, let alone the root-and-branch one advocated here, takes years and costs a fortune. In a highly-centralised polity like that found in Ireland it's almost unheard-of that the centre would devolve any large chunks of power to regions or even local bodies. I fully expect the piecemeal corporations and - frankly - moribund county councils to soldier on for a while yet whilst Bertie and cronies continue to govern by review in lieu of doing anything constructive at all.

:ball: PP

John83
19/01/2006, 7:45 PM
Perhaps even reinstall the health boards, with local funding too as there's no way that national politicians have the wherewithal and know how to fix it, and the HSE already has lost all credibility imo.
I'd love to see the utter balls the councillers could make of the health service.

Macy
23/01/2006, 10:45 AM
I'd love to see the utter balls the councillers could make of the health service.
Harney and the HSE are really turning it around and making things better. The benefits are there for all to see...

Macy
23/01/2006, 10:49 AM
I think that's the problem with what you're saying. If local politicians had the power we'd have no dumps, prisons or a lot of other necessary infrastructure built in the country. Local politicians are very bad at making tough decisions and that's why they have very little power.
I did say keep national infrastructure with national Government. A simple bill making it illegal for waste to leave the county of origin would solve the dump issue if it was with the local councils. It's actually how it should be now, with local dumps together with local recycling facilities. Far more encouragment to recycling than regressive taxes as is the case now.

Macy
23/01/2006, 10:52 AM
The thing is the Ministers have to be trusted ..... i know the present lot cant be but the fact remains, we need to have each department having full scope to manage it properly.
But they already do have scope to manage it properly. They chose not too. Prime example is Dick Roche - recycling facilities, incinerator's, management charges all the county councils remit when he's getting questioned about them. Quite happy to claim the credit for our increased recycling.