PDA

View Full Version : Man U "resting" players for League Cup Semi-Final

OwlsFan
11/01/2006, 1:21 PM
Am I missing something or what? Why is AF resting players when he has no prospects for the League and is out of Europe - has he forgotten that he is actually out of Europe? Put the first 11 out every game and let them earn their pay. Maybe he thinks that it will be a dogfight to finish in the top 4 and that's why he's so cautious.

Sure the League Cup isn't a massive trophy but it is only one of the 4 trophies (Charity Shield and UEFA Cup if dumped from CL) the club can play for at the highest level. Does winning a trophy not matter any more ? Do the fans not have a right and expectation to see their best team trying to win a trophy and have a great day in Cardiff? Ah, the way of the world these days :confused:

Poor Student
11/01/2006, 1:25 PM
Arsenal and Man U seem to particularly treat this cup with contempt. I think the way of looking at it is that it's more important to secure a top 2 (auto entry to CL) or top 4 (entry to the CL qualifiers) spot than tire players or risk injury in the Carling Cup.

pete
11/01/2006, 1:28 PM
2 legged semi means can always recover in leg 2. Probably resting players after busy christmas schedule but then again he hasn't got much of a 2nd string team as proven last weekend.

sligoman
12/01/2006, 9:00 AM
Am I missing something or what? Why is AF resting players when he has no prospects for the League and is out of Europe - has he forgotten that he is actually out of Europe? Put the first 11 out every game and let them earn their pay. Maybe he thinks that it will be a dogfight to finish in the top 4 and that's why he's so cautious.

Sure the League Cup isn't a massive trophy but it is only one of the 4 trophies (Charity Shield and UEFA Cup if dumped from CL) the club can play for at the highest level. Does winning a trophy not matter any more ? Do the fans not have a right and expectation to see their best team trying to win a trophy and have a great day in Cardiff? Ah, the way of the world these days :confused:Eh, did you see the team sheet at all?:rolleyes: Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Van Der Sar and Smith is not classed as "resting players". Rooney even got booked and now misses the FA cup replay with Burton as a result of this match!

pete
12/01/2006, 9:11 AM
I think John O'Shea was rested. :D

Clifford
12/01/2006, 9:25 AM
Eh, did you see the team sheet at all?:rolleyes: Rooney, Ronaldo, Ferdinand, Van Der Sar and Smith is not classed as "resting players". Rooney even got booked and now misses the FA cup replay with Burton as a result of this match!

Classic case of people swallowing the lies the papers push on us. Pure and utter BS almost everything written in all the papers nowadays. The broadsheets are as bad cos they actually take themselves seriously.

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2006, 10:16 AM
Eh, did you see the team sheet at all?:rolleyes:

He'd hardly have seen the team sheet at the time of his post now would he:rolleyes:

sligoman
12/01/2006, 10:27 AM
He'd hardly have seen the team sheet at the time of his post now would he:rolleyes:Pointing out the obvious, well done:rolleyes:. No he wouldn't have seen it, but why did he post it before he even saw it then?:confused:.

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2006, 10:43 AM
Just pointing out not to be so quick to use the 'ol roll eyes, all it does is confirm your age and maturity;)

OwlsFan
12/01/2006, 12:52 PM
I posted it because the media reported Fergie as saying he was going to rest the players. And if you were listening to BBC Five Live 45 minutes before the game they were commenting adversely on Fergie's statement that he was going to rest some players and then the team sheet appeared!! He obviously read my comments here and realised he should play a strong team :D

Clifford
12/01/2006, 1:17 PM
I posted it because the media reported Fergie as saying he was going to rest the players. And if you were listening to BBC Five Live 45 minutes before the game they were commenting adversely on Fergie's statement that he was going to rest some players and then the team sheet appeared!! He obviously read my comments here and realised he should play a strong team :D

As I say media boll ocks, never believe a thing in the rags. 5 Live is as bad nowadays, Alan Green is a horrible specimen of a tabloid rat on the airwaves.

sligoman
12/01/2006, 8:29 PM
Just pointing out not to be so quick to use the 'ol roll eyes, all it does is confirm your age and maturity;)Thank you for that great tip, forgive me if I just ignore you in future though:rolleyes:.;).

OwlsFan
18/01/2006, 12:42 PM
Heard Mooooooooyyyyyyyycal McMullen say on Today FM this morning that Fergie has a replay this evening which "he could done without". Eh, why exactly ? Out of Europe. Out of the league. Game will bring in 500k+ to Man U which will cover 5 players wages for the week. No, sure it's much better to be resting players on huge salaries than actually have them out there earning their pay.:rolleyes:

gustavo
18/01/2006, 10:51 PM
presumably cos they have a big game at the weekend and he thought (rightly) that the team he picked was good enough to win

Kingdom
19/01/2006, 10:22 AM
Thought the young lad Rossi was excellent, Burton Albion notwithstanding. He seems eager, and for a striker has an excellent range of passes. Give him a run in the first elven red face.

OwlsFan
19/01/2006, 11:46 AM
That centre half for Utd who wore the gloves - he was brutal. Pique or something like that. I liked Lawrenson's comment: "A centre-half who wears gloves!!:eek: "

I still think the paying fans have a right to see as near as possible, within reason, the strongest team available. If you pay to go to the opera to see Pavorotti in Dublin, you don't expect to see his stand in because he's saving his voice for Covent Garden at the weekend.

Kingdom
19/01/2006, 12:12 PM
That centre half for Utd who wore the gloves - he was brutal. Pique or something like that. I liked Lawrenson's comment: "A centre-half who wears gloves!!:eek: "

I still think the paying fans have a right to see as near as possible, within reason, the strongest team available. If you pay to go to the opera to see Pavorotti in Dublin, you don't expect to see his stand in because he's saving his voice for Covent Garden at the weekend.
And when has Lawrenson contributed anything remarkably like a proper comment in the last 2/3 yrs?
I love they way everyone assumes that because you wear gloves yer a puff. I've a thing where if I'm in a warm house and I go outside, my fingers and toes bubble up to ridiculous sizes. Therefore I've to wear an extra pair of socks and a pair of gloves just for a while until the blood gets going. I'd be sure that is a reason at least one pro footballer wears gloves. No p!ss-taking please!

Redtop
20/01/2006, 10:21 PM
a pro footballer should be doin enough running on a pitch that he keeps himself warn