PDA

View Full Version : Stringfellow's Get Dublin Club License...

Peadar
11/01/2006, 12:17 PM
The relatively non event of another adult entertainment club opening in Dublin has drawn media interest due to a number of factors.
It was to be expected that a club linked to Peter Stringfellow would result in column inches and wasted ink but objections raised by The North Inner City Residents Group seem to have given him even more free publicity than he was entitled to.

Some of their comments below were taken from RTE.ie

Local people said they were concerned about the type of clientele the club would attract in an area where a large number of elderly and young people live.

The North Inner City Residents Group raised objections, saying it did not want the club in an area which had a girl's secondary school, a toy shop, a cinema and corporation flats.

I also heard their spokesperson on TodayFM and to paraphrase, she made comments like, "men will be coming out from the club sexually aroused and that will be very intimidating for local women."

Now I know the area very well, having lived around the corner for a number of years, and there's nothing more intimidating than the local residents. There are some seriously nasty individuals knocking about there.

The venue where the club is to be located was a disco bar for a while and it's one of the only places in Dublin City were every guy had to be searched for weapons going in.

At closing time, there would be numerous drunking fights. I've seen some of the most vicious fights between girls.

Now this expensive srtip club has been granted a license and the locals are up in arms. (The arms not confiscated on the door of the old club)

Again I think this is another case of people having too much time on their hands. All I'm worried about is who is funding their legal campaign.

Macy
11/01/2006, 12:49 PM
I also heard their spokesperson on TodayFM and to paraphrase, she made comments like, "men will be coming out from the club sexually aroused and that will be very intimidating for local women."
And then went on to say that she wouldn't be taking it lying down :D

It also crossed my mind about why they were campaigning and who was funding it. It had the nasty stench of Youth Defence type group, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were behind it in some way.

A stringfellow's bar would be far better run than some of the establishments in this city, never mind in that area (which I also lived in for a few years). Didn't (maybe still is) Shooters become a lap dancing place already along there?

Peadar
11/01/2006, 12:57 PM
Didn't (maybe still is) Shooters become a lap dancing place already along there?

That shut down and I assumed that's where Stringfellows is going?

Macy
11/01/2006, 1:10 PM
That shut down and I assumed that's where Stringfellows is going?
Is it? Would make sense. If it wasn't shut down by a concerted effort by local residents then we really can see this groups motives.

Lionel Ritchie
11/01/2006, 1:19 PM
Heard someone from the residents group on the radio the other night and they did seem to be reaching a bit in their reasons for not wanting the club there.

I'm not at all familiar with the area but just from their schpiel I got the impression it was a bit leafy which has me surprised to hear about corpo flats, weapons searches etc... surely if they'd just stuck to the facts and highlighted problems with weapons, fights etc they'd have been on a surer footing rather than what seems o have been a half arsed moral crusade against having a titty bar near what again? a cinema, girls school, corpo flats, young people, old people...

Peadar
11/01/2006, 1:55 PM
School will be long over and the kids should be in bed during the opening hours of this club. Anyone familiar with the area will have noticed kids hanging around the streets at all hours, being a general nuisance. They'd want to get their own house in order first before they go out on a moral crusade.

I love the way people try to claim they're protecting the interests of old people. When I'm old, I might be glad to have a strip club just around the corner. Wouldn't want to blow my entire pension having to pay for a taxi there and back on top of the cost of a stripper at my table.

ThatGuy
11/01/2006, 2:05 PM
The relatively non event of another adult entertainment club opening in Dublin has drawn media interest due to a number of factors.
It was to be expected that a club linked to Peter Stringfellow would result in column inches and wasted ink but objections raised by The North Inner City Residents Group seem to have given him even more free publicity than he was entitled to.

Some of their comments below were taken from RTE.ie

Now I know the area very well, having lived around the corner for a number of years, and there's nothing more intimidating than the local residents. There are some seriously nasty individuals knocking about there.

The venue where the club is to be located was a disco bar for a while and it's one of the only places in Dublin City were every guy had to be searched for weapons going in.

At closing time, there would be numerous drunking fights. I've seen some of the most vicious fights between girls.

Now this expensive srtip club has been granted a license and the locals are up in arms. (The arms not confiscated on the door of the old club)

Again I think this is another case of people having too much time on their hands. All I'm worried about is who is funding their legal campaign.

Well said Peadar, my thoughts exactly.

pete
11/01/2006, 2:45 PM
And then went on to say that she wouldn't be taking it lying down :D

I think that has become the stuff of radio legend now. :D

Residents might had made a case against the club if they has stuck to the "inappropriate for residential area" line instead of coming out as anti-strip club as completely underminded their own case.

pete
11/01/2006, 2:46 PM
Down with this sort of thing...

WeAreRovers
11/01/2006, 3:06 PM
Totally agree with Peadar. Must be drifting to the right in my old age. :eek:

Two minutes walk away from Parnell St will bring you to as many sex shops and lap dancing clubs as you could wish for, yet not a peep out of the residents.

Stringfellows is a tacky, so-called classy nightclub, that's all. It'll be full of blokes from Finglas or wherever on stag does or 30th birthdays, coked out of it and drinking crappy champagne. So what?

Dunphy was very funny yesterday morning. He had the spokesperson from the Brassers Union (not their actual name) on and he tore into her. Brilliant stuff. almost as good as his shredding of toerag Dervan on The Hub last night.

KOH

dcfcsteve
11/01/2006, 4:20 PM
Just what Dublin's been lacking - another Titty Bar ! There's got to be dramatically more in the town per head of population than in London.:eek:

Stringfellows is a naff and tacky brand - just like it's owner :D A lot of people don't want motorways, 24hr Off-licenses, Homeless hostels, Coal Depots etc etc near where they live, but these days a Strip Bar is just another of those things that people accept exist but don't really want near THEM. They're a fact of life really these days.

Surely the punter's money would be better spent on cider and shots in Coppers or somewhere ? A more meaningfuil and interactive outcome for the same/less yo-yo's..... :D

hamish
11/01/2006, 4:48 PM
Could never see the point of going to a strip or lap dance club. I mean, I cannot think of more wasted time than having a bored young wan trying to dance around yeh provocatively for the sake of a few quid. It's not like you're gonna take them home or anything. What's the point of getting a hard on in a situation like that??? It's about as pointless as bringing a hurley to the superbowl.
Then there's the important matter of sexploitation.

Then again, I should be the last to talk, given my postings in tottywatch.:o :D