PDA

View Full Version : Given to Spain?

sligoman
10/01/2006, 8:09 PM
Newcastle star eyes Spanish chance

Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given admits he would be tempted by a move to Spain should he fail to agree a contract extension at St James’s Park.

Given has a year and a half to run on his existing deal but negotiations have yet to bring about a contract extension.

The Donegal man, who will turn 30 in April, insists he is happy at Newcastle, but that any offer from the club will have to be satisfactory.

And talk of interest in a move to Spain is certain to alert a host of clubs, with the Irish number one regarded by many as top keeper in the Premiership in recent seasons.

He told The Sun: "I love it at Newcastle but, if I was to leave, Spain would be my choice. Everything about it appeals – the people, the weather and the football.

“I would like to stay. I would like a new contract and to win a trophy but it has to be right financially.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=20663

paul_oshea
10/01/2006, 8:21 PM
thats changed to what he said before that he wanted to go to win trophies.

onenilgameover
10/01/2006, 9:32 PM
I reckon he is too loyal to Newcastle. He should go to spain alright..get a tan and a trophy..he sure deserves it.

gustavo
10/01/2006, 11:03 PM
dont kno wabout a trophy seeing as barca are walking off with everything . i suppose the best club he could possibly go to would be valencia seeing as canizares is getting on a bit

sligoman
10/01/2006, 11:06 PM
I think he'd suit Valencia well. I've being to a couple of their games and afaik, Canizares is the only good goalie they have and as you say gustavo, he is getting on a bit so I think Given would certainly make number one there.

Dodge
10/01/2006, 11:58 PM
dont kno wabout a trophy seeing as barca are walking off with everything . i suppose the best club he could possibly go to would be valencia seeing as canizares is getting on a bit
He'd be No 1 if he went to Barca. He's miles better than Valdes. Valdes is not popular at all with their fans. I reckon he's long overdue a move to a club that can win things

Tenderloins
11/01/2006, 8:32 AM
Surely Given wants to play in the Champions League. Hes wasting his time at Newcastle if he wants to win things or play in the CL.
Time he went to Spain.

gustavo
11/01/2006, 8:37 AM
i thought Valdes' game improved vastly this season ?

Dodge
11/01/2006, 11:16 AM
He's ok but is terrible on back passes and if they want to challenge strongly for the CL, they need a better keeper

eirebhoy
11/01/2006, 11:23 AM
He's ok but is terrible on back passes and if they want to challenge strongly for the CL, they need a better keeper
I actually think he's really, really bad on back passes. It cost us a goal against Israel and I opened a thread about it before then. He is still one of the best keeper's in the world though and is definitely good enough for Barca.

Superhoops
11/01/2006, 9:21 PM
I actually think he's really, really bad on back passes. It cost us a goal against Israel and I opened a thread about it before then. He is still one of the best keeper's in the world though and is definitely good enough for Barca.
Is your tongue still stuck inside your cheek????:D

eirebhoy
11/01/2006, 11:13 PM
Is your tongue still stuck inside your cheek????:D
The only keeper in the Spanish league that might be as good or better than Given is Casillas.

Stuttgart88
12/01/2006, 8:31 AM
Casillas, like Robinson, is over rated in my view though I admit I haven't seen as much Spanish footy as I'd like.

I like my goalies to be commanding and confident in all aspects, not just good shot stoppers. Neither of the above is in my opinion.

Any time I've ever watched Barca I've felt Given is better than their 'keeper. Before Valdes they had some seriously dodgy French guy with a Neil Morrissey haircut. I don't rate Valdes either but he made a great save from Petrov at 1-1 at Parkhead. Barca went on to win 3-1 in the end but it could have been different.

tetsujin1979
12/01/2006, 9:55 AM
Casillas is a top keeper, I've lost count of the number of times he's kept Madrid in a game or saved Roberto Carlos' bacon with an unreal save.
Trivia fact: he was in goals for Spain when Ireland won the European Championships, Joe Murphy (at Tranmere at the time) was in goals for Ireland

Dodge
12/01/2006, 10:16 AM
Casillas is probably the best in the world and probably Real Madrid's most important player

gustavo
12/01/2006, 12:19 PM
himself and beckham have been their only good players this season i think he is by far the best goalie in the world

eirebhoy
12/01/2006, 1:30 PM
I agree, Casillas is absolutely superb.

John83
12/01/2006, 3:15 PM
Casillas, like Robinson, is over rated in my view though I admit I haven't seen as much Spanish footy as I'd like.

I like my goalies to be commanding and confident in all aspects, not just good shot stoppers. Neither of the above is in my opinion.

Any time I've ever watched Barca I've felt Given is better than their 'keeper. Before Valdes they had some seriously dodgy French guy with a Neil Morrissey haircut. I don't rate Valdes either but he made a great save from Petrov at 1-1 at Parkhead. Barca went on to win 3-1 in the end but it could have been different.
Barca's a keeper's graveyard. They go their to ruin their reputations. You'll really get found out behind a team that attacks like they do. I'd rate Given as up to the task though - playing behind Newcastle's defense can't be any worse.

Schlooooomp
12/01/2006, 3:42 PM
Barca's a keeper's graveyard. They go their to ruin their reputations. You'll really get found out behind a team that attacks like they do. I'd rate Given as up to the task though - playing behind Newcastle's defense can't be any worse.

Yeah, if Given can cope with TITus and Boumsong in front of him then anything else is easy. I can't believe that United or Arsenal never made a serious move for him, he is the best keeper in the premiership for the last number of years.

And I personally do rate Robinson as a good keeper.

Stuttgart88
16/01/2006, 11:21 AM
And I personally do rate Robinson as a good keeper.
Let me qualify my remark: of course Robinson is a good keeper. He's a superb shot-stopper. But I think he has weaknesses which were exposed at Old Trafford, Anfield on Saturday (and last year too) and against Arsenal at WHL. He is terrible at dealing with a well taken inswinging free kick. I accept that these are awful for 'keepers but the really good ones take charge of the situation. Robson is all at sea at these. He also has a terrible habit of parrying the ball back into play rather than safely out wide. Ask any Leeds fan, tjough he's got better at this. He's just not the all-commanding goalkeeper that the really top-class ones are like. I think his weaknesses could be targeted at the World Cup. I remember how badly England fared against Switzerland's free kicks at Euro 2004 and I don't see how Robinson can improve things.