PDA

View Full Version : Leeds

carrickharp
10/01/2006, 3:14 PM
Heading over for a weekend at the end of the month with a few of the lads thread any info about places to go etc. would be great, cheers.

Risteard
10/01/2006, 3:18 PM
Jumpin Jacks in the Majestic.
On Sundays and bank holidays you pay a very hefty entrance fee and the drink is free.
Ya getting a match in?
Leeds is great city.
A little smaller than Cork at a guess.
Go to Squares for a drink before the club, nice women or if you're ugly, DV8s.;)

paul_oshea
10/01/2006, 3:29 PM
the market on a saturday is decent enough as well actually. we went to a pub around the corner from barclays just up from the market, and i have never seen such a bunch of hillbillies and roughians in my life. they were the soundest people you coudl ever meet though!!!

its a good city, i found it closes too early though to be honest. dont go to that boat bar either its ****e.

Peadar
10/01/2006, 4:08 PM
...i have never seen such a bunch of hillbillies and roughians in my life.

Did the Rossies take a detour on their way home from Ruislip or what! :D

By the way, Dublinharp, don't bother looking for Leeds Castle. It's in Kent. ;)

Lionel Ritchie
10/01/2006, 5:00 PM
Jumpin Jacks in the Majestic.
On Sundays and bank holidays you pay a very hefty entrance fee and the drink is free.
Ya getting a match in?
Leeds is great city.
A little smaller than Cork at a guess.Go to Squares for a drink before the club, nice women or if you're ugly, DV8s.;)

On the old Mallow road into Cork there was a sign that said Cork: population 136,000. Now I'm guessing that's rather out of date and the modern figure would be closer to 250,000 ....but that's still approximately a quarter the size of Leeds.

Depending on what type of nightlife you're into ...the rather dubiously named Cockpit:eek: is actually not, as one might suspect from the name, a home from home for the hommes, but rather an excellent indie nightclub and venue (saw Half Man Half Biscuit there last summer).
It's just 100 meters off city square down the hill from the train station.

If you're into the Visual Arts I strongly recommend Leeds City Gallery/Henry Moore gallery. Spent an afternoon there.

If you're into the Performance Arts I recommend a trip to Elland Road -we're on the way back boys ....and some fcukers are gonna rue the day!!!!!

Peadar
10/01/2006, 5:37 PM
On the old Mallow road into Cork there was a sign that said Cork: population 136,000. Now I'm guessing that's rather out of date and the modern figure would be closer to 250,000

At the last Census the population of Cork City was 123,062
There's another Census due this year though.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 5:46 PM
Leeds is great city. A little smaller than Cork at a guess.

??:eek:

Leeds is the 5th biggest city in England. Bigger than the likes of Liverpool, Newcastle, Bristol etc - with a population about 4 times that of Cork.

A face
10/01/2006, 7:20 PM
A little smaller than Cork at a guess.

You aint very good at guessing me thinks !! :p

At the last Census the population of Cork City was 123,062

So what you're saying is that Cork has gotten smaller yeah !?!! :p

Where did the rest of it go ?? :D

Gerrit
10/01/2006, 8:34 PM
Leeds is fantastic. Stunning architecture, a vibrant city (thanks to the uni) and a shopaholic paradize. Have great memories of my trip to Leeds, definitely want to go back.

The whole city centre and even just out of it is a beauty. Every street has at least one building that can be labelled as beautiful. If you also like architecture, Leeds will definitely be your cup of tea.

As for nightlife: don't know if you are a bit of alternative music fan, but I would recommend the Phono bar under the shopping center. I know, weird location for a bar, but it's quite cosy and the music is nice. Gothic, new-wave, indie, rock, even a bit of hardrock and grunge ; in other words: all alternative music you want. It's the bar where Andrew Eldritch (Sisters of Mercy) used to drink, and where Marc Almond had DJ sets. The bar is one of the oldest pubs in Leeds.

Risteard
10/01/2006, 10:50 PM
On the old Mallow road into Cork there was a sign that said Cork: population 136,000. Now I'm guessing that's rather out of date and the modern figure would be closer to 250,000 ....but that's still approximately a quarter the size of Leeds.
:eek: :eek: :eek:
I should really have known that. Fecking hell.
Just has kind of smallish feel to the place.
Maybe i've been stuck in the same corner all the time.
Been five times and always stayed around the Hilton, twice in there.
Never got near the irish centre but its meant to be the low-point of the place.
More exploration needs to be done.
Eek!!

I was told recently the population of Cork was 253,000. Presumed that was the city.
Same person told me there was 5,000 taxis in Cork which did seem a bit far-fetched.
I'm presuming ye can guess this guys occupation.
I've heard the quarter million figure mentioned before though i think.

Peadar
11/01/2006, 9:32 AM
Where did the rest of it go ?? :D

They moved to Dublin. Surely you've heard of the Exiles, A face? :D

I was told recently the population of Cork was 253,000. Presumed that was the city.

The combined total population for Cork city and county, at the last Census taken in 2002, was 447,829.

The breakdown was:
Cork City 123,062 - 63,799 of which are female and 59,263 are male.
Cork County 324,767 - 161,713 of which are female and 163,054 are male.

Lionel Ritchie
11/01/2006, 11:09 AM
They moved to Dublin. Surely you've heard of the Exiles, A face? :D

The combined total population for Cork city and county, at the last Census taken in 2002, was 447,829.

The breakdown was:
Cork City 123,062 - 63,799 of which are female and 59,263 are male.
Cork County 324,767 - 161,713 of which are female and 163,054 are male.

Peadar could Cork be affected by the same phenomenon as Limerick then whereby the city boundary has basically burst it's banks? ...i.e. a thinning of the population living within the actual city boundary as people move out to the suburbs. That masking an exponential growth in the actual population who consider themselves city-dwellers but who's homes are technically in the county.

It's a hot potato up here for some years now as we have a large urban population many of whom live in the county but work in the city and there's much hooha about boundary extensions, 'Their clogging up our roads/schools/buses', 'city living at county rates', 'not an inch of county Limerick/County Clare to be "surrendered" to Limerick City'.

It's also meant that, on a technicality, Galway City has "overtaken" Limerick City in 3rd place -a sum that's laughable from a glance at any satelite photograph.

Anyway that's all a long way from Leeds. Great City. Enjoy yourself Dublinharp

...oh and by the way -the further you go uphill from the city square/cornmarket area into the shopping areas the fewer chavs you'll see. I don't know why that is but it's a phenomenon we observed. The gentle slope might make make their sweat pants sweaty and it might be awkward to negotiate while carrying a bottle of bucky and sucking on a woodbine.

Snoop Drog
12/01/2006, 3:04 AM
Yeah, I recommend a trip to Elland Rd too. The craic is good around the pubs beforehand, the stadium is pretty good, tickets easy enough to come by and they are playing pretty well atm (which, knowing Leeds United, could change any minute...) The football natives are (relatively) friendly too and are up for a bit of banter.

carrickharp
30/01/2006, 9:23 AM
Myself and four mates went there over the weekend, highly recommend Leeds great spot, thanks for all the advice ended up in Jumping Jacks:D on Saturday night after a long day drinking (spent a few hours playing pool as well), very friendly people, cheep weekend as well.

Risteard
30/01/2006, 10:03 AM
Great stuff.
No match for ya so at all?
Were they running the large entrance fee, free drink charade?
Top class talent aswell methinks.

carrickharp
30/01/2006, 12:29 PM
Great stuff.
No match for ya so at all?

No match FA cup weekend, watched the Newcastle game in The Sports Bar and the Arsenal match in Yates.

Were they running the large entrance fee, free drink charade?
£6 in drinking all kinds of crap by that time, we met a gang of lassies;) in Yates and it is them that took us to Jumping Jacks.

Top class talent aswell methinks.
Yes indeed.:D