PDA

View Full Version : New Signings

Magicme
10/01/2006, 3:01 PM
Can confirm the following players have signed:

Darren Sargent (St Pats) (22 yr old (well he will be on Thursday!) Defender)

Robbie Smith (St Pats) (21 yr old Striker) Took the following details bout him from St Pats website: Robbie Smith is the first member of the St Patrick's Athletic Schoolboy section to progress through to the senior team.

Showed his quality in last year's Under 21 League and Cup matches.

Made his senior debut against Shamrock Rovers on June 18th 2004.

Robbie has been in good scoring form for the Under 21's this season and knocking onthe door of the first team starting eleven.

Kevin Cronin (Kildare County) Another former Leeds player who came to Kildare and is now moving to Monaghan with Andrew Cousins.

When I get more info on the above will post it up.

Also we have re-signed Jimmy Fullam.

A face
15/01/2006, 11:22 PM
Added to the list !! (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=32075)

Magicme
17/01/2006, 3:45 PM
SQUAD 2006- Smythy Returns!
As reported in recent weeks, Monaghan United Manager Mick Cooke has been building his squad for this year’s eircom League. The league kicks off on the weekend of 10th March and Mick is confident that the players he has signed over the last few weeks will be prepared for the onslaught of the new season.

Mick strengthened the squad further in the last week with the following additions:

Paul Smyth: Monaghan United fans will be delighted to hear the news that local favourite Paul Smyth has rejoined the club. A talented footballer who can play on the left side of midfield or upfront, 'Smythy' starred in United's promotion side of 2000/01 under Bobby Browne. He then left the club to take up a College scholarship at the University of Tennessee at Memphis. While there he won the 'Rookie of the Year' for his division and was his team's top scorer. He returned to United a year later and made the left midfield position his own. Fans will remember a wonder-goal he scored away to Sligo Rovers. He has since spent spells at Finn Harps and Fermanagh side Ballinamallard before returning to United. Speaking with Paul during the week, he stated “I was impressed with what Mick had to say and his plans for the team this season so I decided that it would be a good challenge for me.” The 24 year old confirmed that he was “glad to be back at United. I enjoyed two and a half seasons at Ballinamallard but it is great to be home. I hope that we will put together a good team and do well”.

Stephen Finnegan: One of last seasons major successes, Stephen Finnegan has re-signed to his hometown club for 2006. Not only did Stephen feature regularly for Monaghan United FC senior and u21 teams last season, his efforts earned him a place on Sean McCaffery’s U19 Republic of Ireland Squad. Stephen won the Under 21 Player of the Year for 2006 and will be looking to consolidate his place on the senior squad in the coming season.

Shane Harte: Another signing from Kildare County where he had an impressive season in 2005, scoring 6 goals from his midfield position including the Kildare County Goal of the Season. Shane is a Kildare native who spent some time with Sunderland before returning back to Irish football where he has also played with Athlone Town.

Robbie Horgan: Last season’s Goalkeeper and Captain Robbie Horgan has put pen to paper once more. Horgie is vastly experienced and his previous clubs include Shamrock Rovers, Shelbourne, Drogheda United, Dublin City. He has won Premier League, three Division One Titles (2 with Drogheda one with Dublin City), One Shield title and one Leinster Senior Cup. He started his career in 1986 with Shamrock Rovers at Milltown, which was the last year they played there and completed four titles in a row. He spent four and half years at Drogheda, then two and half years at Shels where he won an FAI Cup medal and further eight years at Rovers before he joined Dublin City. On top of all that he has played in no less than 22 European games.

Mick is convinced that his relatively young squad will benefit from Robbie’s experience and calm manner in goal and it is hoped that 2006 will see Monaghan United Challenging once more for promotion. Details on pre-seasons friendlies will be published as soon as they are finalized. Pre-season training begins this Saturday and Cooke and his team will be working hard to ensure that they are prepared for the coming season.

sligoman
17/01/2006, 7:14 PM
Fans will remember a wonder-goal he scored away to Sligo Rovers.Sorry, don't remember it:p.

A face
18/01/2006, 5:27 PM
Sorry, don't remember it:p.

Selective memory perhaps ?? :p