PDA

View Full Version : Shock, Horror UCD sign someone!

Schumi
16/05/2002, 1:50 PM
UCD have apparently signed Robbie Doyle from Bray Wanderers. This is his pen pic. from Bray's website (http://www.braywanderers.ie/squad.php) .

"Striker. A native of Bray, Robert is Wanderers under 21 team striker and joined the club in September 2001. Robert made his senior debut against UCD at the end of October 2001 and scored his first senior goal against Bohemians in March.
Apps: 9, Goals: 1. (to end 2001/2 season). "

This is good news as we were seriously short of attacking options last year. Hopefully a partnership of Robbie and Robbie will net us some goals next year.

Pablo
16/05/2002, 2:22 PM
I dont get UCD. Do u have to be a student? Or is there any criteria? or are they just a club like any other?

pete
16/05/2002, 3:17 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
I dont get UCD. Do u have to be a student? Or is there any criteria? or are they just a club like any other?

I may be incorrect but i think common perception of a UCD team full of 20 year olds is a bit off the mark. I think they tend be almost all students (including mature ones) but would probably have a few non-students too.

Sure almost every eL club would have at least a few students in their 1st team squad.

Pablo
16/05/2002, 3:18 PM
i have always thought that it reflects bad on the EL that a university team can play and indeed compete quite easily in our top division...........

Schumi
16/05/2002, 5:57 PM
Originally posted by Pablo

There's no stipulation about having to be a student (Look at Derek Swan the year before last!). There is a link of some sort between the club and the university as guys on sport scholarships for football play for UCD. The reason there are so few 'ordinary' signings is that we have fĂșck all money.

@ndy
17/05/2002, 10:43 AM
The UCD situation as i have come to realise it is this. As a club, there is no money there. Gates are continuously low. The club runs independent of the college. It is a football club in it's own right. The one thing the club benefits from is the scholarship players, therefore, the funds needed to purchase players are much less than other clubs. There is a huge downside to this however...most shcolarship players will only stick around until they have finished studying, then off they go to another club, hence the ever youthful team.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

A.

Schumi
09/07/2002, 8:41 PM
After an impressive performance on his debut in a friendly against Dundalk, Robbie scored his first goal for UCD in Dalymount on Friday, a fantastic free kick from well outside the box.