PDA

View Full Version : Mary O'Rourkes campaign team "worked like Blacks"

Lionel Ritchie
09/01/2006, 10:45 AM
...yes that's what she said in an address to a nomination convention in Mullingar at the weekend.

I must admit all I could do was guffaw at the gobdaw-ism of her social faux pas.

...always good for a laugh is Mary.

from breaking news (http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/story.asp?j=168466426&p=y68467y3z)

beautifulrock
09/01/2006, 11:02 AM
not the most sensible thing to say for sure but Mary is well recognised for her work with both refugees and immigrants to this country.

Peadar
09/01/2006, 11:36 AM
I think the insult here is to the Chinese, Polish communities etc. who work really hard.
There was a time when people would have said that the Irish worked hard but those days are long gone now as we asscend to a society of middle class snobs.

If I was black, I'd take Mary's comment as a compliment.

wws
09/01/2006, 11:41 AM
if she had a said they 'worked like whites' - now that would have had supremacist undertones!

i heard the clip on the radio and the gasps from the FF blacks on the floor were hilarious!

Dodge
09/01/2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah. She's old, thats about the size of it. Interesting to see the largest Refugee Agnecy coming out and defending her record in that area.

Dricky
09/01/2006, 12:00 PM
Stupid thing to say and she should of know better, what's the difference between Big Ron's comments and her's?? If he had left out the word black he'd still be on telly. he would just have said lazy *******.

It was very stupid, it is a reference to slavery to some a complement as seen by others, but in the same light it is fair to point out her work for good reason but also how stupid a comment it was.

Dodge
09/01/2006, 12:02 PM
Of course it was stupid but the difference between hers and Atkinsons is huge. she wasn't talking about black people. She just used the term as a frame of reference. Atkinson called someone a n.igger

razor
09/01/2006, 12:11 PM
The next step is to place a baby in front of her and get her to recite eeny meeny miney mo...

dcfcsteve
09/01/2006, 12:31 PM
Cringeworthy. Trust the thick Irish to go in for racial stereotyping.... :rolleyes:

It amazes me when I go home to see that large sections of the country are still stuck back in the 1960's - particularly in terms of naive and ill-advised comments, even if they're not ill-intended. It's difficult to hear someone naively use terms like 'darkie', when you know they just don't know any better....

Dricky
09/01/2006, 12:31 PM
Of course it was stupid but the difference between hers and Atkinsons is huge. she wasn't talking about black people. She just used the term as a frame of reference. Atkinson called someone a n.igger

How sombody takes it is up to them, how can anyone say the are speaking for the 'black' people? It is a reference to slavery to some. One of my work colleuges is African American (which they are proud of using) and he admits they are techy about these things but that is how he has taken it, he never knew who Mary is but now he does and finds the comment offensive. He is the person that highlighted to me the slavery connection, so because it wasn't the same word as Rons that makes it okay?? he's wrong to feel offened? can't agree with you there. It is the unfourtunate part of living in a PC word. She is a public figure and should know better age is not an excuse. She is a public figure.

Lim till i die
09/01/2006, 12:37 PM
It is the unfourtunate part of living in a PC word. She is a public figure and should know better age is not an excuse. She is a public figure.

To hell with the Politically correct nonsense. Anyone who gets offended by the comments of a midlands gombeen in her dotage really, really needs to get out more. Believe it or not I as an Irishman I don't burst into tears upon hearing a sports commentator spout some banality about the "luck of the Irish" or "the rub of the green" or any such nonsense.

Seriously, offended people, relax :eek:

pete
09/01/2006, 12:38 PM
i heard the clip on the radio and the gasps from the FF blacks on the floor were hilarious!

It was the sound of 200 people collectively inhaling :D

Comment was well out of order. Can't defend it. It would be like english person saying they "drank like paddies". I don't see how can be defended as an old saying as no black people in Ireland in the past so the old phrase was surely in refernce to slavery.

Its sad she said what she did was one of the few FF-ers i'd have time for as doesn't seem to tow the party line all the time.

Dricky
09/01/2006, 1:07 PM
To hell with the Politically correct nonsense. Anyone who gets offended by the comments of a midlands gombeen in her dotage really, really needs to get out more. Believe it or not I as an Irishman I don't burst into tears upon hearing a sports commentator spout some banality about the "luck of the Irish" or "the rub of the green" or any such nonsense.

It was a stupid comment to make by a person in public office. regardless of PC world or not. She should of know better as she is not stupid. The gasps came from her supporters.

dcfcsteve
09/01/2006, 1:08 PM

Lim - you're way out of step with the views of everyone else on here.

It's not about being 'politically correct' - which itself is a phrase invented purely to dismiss language that seeks to treat people in a progressive and egalitarian footing.

It's not about whether YOU personally are offended by something. And you don't have the right to tell people what they should and shouldn't find offensive. If it helps - I find it offensive that an Irish politician should be racial stereotyping in anyway. Particularly in a context where it was completely and utterly unnecessary to do so. What exactly the pre-emancipation work demands made upon black people in America should have to do with canvassing efforts by political hacks in the midlands of Ireland I struggle to understand. The fact that there was an immediate reaction from the conference floor when she made her comment shows that people were offended, and that it was abn instant reaction - not one reflected over afterwards through some politically correct goggles....

Just because you choose not to be offended by something does NOT remove or deny anyone else the right to be offended. Perhaps if you got out more yourself you might realise that...?

P.S. 'The rub of the green' has got feck all to do with the Irish, and refers to the playing surface.....

noby
09/01/2006, 1:19 PM
I know it was only a "nomination convention in Mullingar", but did anyone write/proof-read the speech, or was it off the cuff?

Peadar
09/01/2006, 1:19 PM
One of my work colleuges is African American (which they are proud of using) and he admits they are techy about these things but that is how he has taken it, he never knew who Mary is but now he does and finds the comment offensive.

Aw, your poor African American slave friend got offended. Did the scars from his chains bleed as he wept? :rolleyes:
Once he gets his freedom, I'm sure he'll go back to Africa to rejoin his tribe.

He must have little else to worry about if he takes offence to a throwaway comment, which wasn't intended as an insult.
Sure he can always sue Mary and take comfort in his compensation. Isn't that the American way!

Lionel Ritchie
09/01/2006, 1:59 PM
Aw, your poor African American slave friend got offended. Did the scars from his chains bleed as he wept? :rolleyes:
Once he gets his freedom, I'm sure he'll go back to Africa to rejoin his tribe.

He must have little else to worry about if he takes offence to a throwaway comment, which wasn't intended as an insult.
Sure he can always sue Mary and take comfort in his compensation. Isn't that the American way!

Peadar I notice that post was edited -surely not to take out anything offensive eh?:D

pete
09/01/2006, 2:07 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the old saying "worked like blacks..." actually refers to? I suspect it comes from the same school as "dirty arab..." etc...

Anyone can make a mistake but O'Rouke should have enough experience to know that trying to defend herself will cost her in the long run as its an argument she cannot win.

Macy
09/01/2006, 2:47 PM
Anyone can make a mistake but O'Rouke should have enough experience to know that trying to defend herself will cost her in the long run as its an argument she cannot win.
This is what I'm not sure on. All this "shouldn't have said it" is bull imo, people shouldn't be thinking this way anymore. And certainly not our politicians. Thinking it and not saying it because it'll be controversial still makes you a racist.

Schumi
09/01/2006, 3:00 PM
Can anyone explain to me what the old saying "worked like blacks..." actually refers to? I suspect it comes from the same school as "dirty arab..." etc...
I think it's a reference to slavery but I'm not sure.

Peadar
09/01/2006, 3:00 PM
surely not to take out anything offensive eh?:D

Some folk get offended by spelling mistakes. :D

Trust the thick Irish to go in for racial stereotyping....

While we're on the subject of offensive remarks, I find this very offensive to me as an Irish person. You British lads just love a chance to get a dig in about the "thick Paddy." :rolleyes:

Dillo
09/01/2006, 7:06 PM
Mary O' Rourke's statement 'worked like blacks' is totally blown out of proportion and has given the local media here in the provincial backwaters something to dwell on. It's a saying we all use from time to time and is perfectly legitimate. There's no doubt there's connotations of slavery attached to it but at the end of the day that's the origin of black people. On a separate note, Mary is approaching 70 years of age and its about time somebody else got a bite of the cherry. One can just imagine the pensions she's on! :rolleyes:

John83
09/01/2006, 7:19 PM
...It's a saying we all use from time to time and is perfectly legitimate...
Speak for yourself. I've never even heard it before. It's no more legitimate than Enda Kenny's "****** in the woodpile". It doesn't shock me - there seems to be a big chunk of this country that's quite happy in its racism.

klein4
09/01/2006, 7:26 PM
It's a saying we all use from time to time and is perfectly legitimate. There's no doubt there's connotations of slavery attached to it but at the end of the day that's the origin of black people. :rolleyes:

thats the origins of black people?????????????????
what the hell does that mean??????????
you need to get down to the library and read yourself......a book!

Dillo
09/01/2006, 7:32 PM
you need to get down to the library and read yourself......a book!

Yeah i'm on my way to the library now. :rolleyes:

Condex
09/01/2006, 8:59 PM
Cringeworthy. Trust the thick Irish to go in for racial stereotyping.... :rolleyes:

It amazes me when I go home to see that large sections of the country are still stuck back in the 1960's - particularly in terms of naive and ill-advised comments, even if they're not ill-intended. It's difficult to hear someone naively use terms like 'darkie', when you know they just don't know any better....

Christ your everywhere like a bad a smell, judge and jury on everybody and everthing it must be a real burden to carry around being right all the time!!!:rolleyes:

You should get down the bookies your sure to win....:D

ThatGuy
09/01/2006, 9:13 PM
Mary O' Rourke's statement 'worked like blacks' is totally blown out of proportion and has given the local media here in the provincial backwaters something to dwell on. It's a saying we all use from time to time and is perfectly legitimate. There's no doubt there's connotations of slavery attached to it but at the end of the day that's the origin of black people. On a separate note, Mary is approaching 70 years of age and its about time somebody else got a bite of the cherry. One can just imagine the pensions she's on! :rolleyes:
Talk about backwaters :rolleyes:

I have never heard that phrase before, obviously it has something to do with slavery. If Mary O'Rourke is as backwards as that maybe she shouldn't be representing the people of Longford and Westmeath.

anto1208
09/01/2006, 9:27 PM
the pc stand on it would be any racial stereotyping either good or bad is wrong , to say they worked like blacks imply's blacks are all good workers which of course is rubbish in reality some are good some are bad and some are in between .

while not offensive its not a phrase a politician should use in a speach , i liken it to bertie getting up and saying a my balls a itchy nothing wrong with saying it just not the right time or place to say it :D

is it a big deal ? ... no

should she lose her job ? hell no there are a lot worse politicians in there that need getting rid of , the few good ones need to be kept

Dodge
09/01/2006, 9:53 PM
BTW she has no job to lose...

dcfcsteve
09/01/2006, 11:46 PM
Christ your everywhere like a bad a smell, judge and jury on everybody and everthing it must be a real burden to carry around being right all the time!!!:rolleyes:

You should get down the bookies your sure to win....:D

Ahhh my old mate Condex. The man who's a member of an online Irish Football Forum - yet rarely seems to post on football-related matters, doesn't have a footballing avatar on his signature, and usually only appears on threads regarding race/religion. Hmmm...

I'm surprised you didn't avail of the opportunity to get a cheap unfounded dig in here against some minority ethnic group. Like you did in the debate about the recent beach-front violence in Australia. Like you did in the debate about the French riots.

You must be losing your touch with age Condex.... :D

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 12:09 AM
It's a saying we all use from time to time and is perfectly legitimate.

Speak for yourself - I certainly don't !

Do you share a flat with Condex or something....? :p

twoenz
10/01/2006, 1:46 AM
I see no difference in what she said and what Ron said.

If this had have been a UK politician they would have been murdered.

Lim till i die
10/01/2006, 8:12 AM
If Mary O'Rourke is as backwards as that maybe she shouldn't be representing the people of Longford and Westmeath.

On the other hand.... :)

Reference to slavery, boo hoo hoo, I'm sure this is what Mary O'Rourke intended and she is obviously going to try and have Ireland ethnically cleansed when she's elected to office :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve - If in the morning we were to get a wonderful utopian society where everyone is treated on a progressive and egalitarian footing would you be in favour of free speech??

BTW I apologise unreservedly for my "rub of the green" mistake, hope you don't know any grassy areas I may have offended by implying they were connected to Ireland.

Risteard
10/01/2006, 9:14 AM
A bit surprised at her saying it.
Always thought she acted with the best intentions so maybe she's just a fool.

pete
10/01/2006, 10:43 AM
If O'Rourke did not intend the slavery reference she could easily have apologised the day afterwards saying that she had been told what the phrase really meant & now she knew better. Case closed.

The phrase can only have slavery refernces as its an old saying apparently & since when were black people known particularily as hard workers?

:confused:

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 10:55 AM
On the other hand.... :)

Reference to slavery, boo hoo hoo, I'm sure this is what Mary O'Rourke intended and she is obviously going to try and have Ireland ethnically cleansed when she's elected to office :rolleyes:

dcfcsteve - If in the morning we were to get a wonderful utopian society where everyone is treated on a progressive and egalitarian footing would you be in favour of free speech??

BTW I apologise unreservedly for my "rub of the green" mistake, hope you don't know any grassy areas I may have offended by implying they were connected to Ireland.

I'm all for Free Speech - but free speech doesn't entitle someone to make completely inappropriate comments regarding sections of society that are traditionally marginalised/discriminated against.

Mary O'Rourke was trying to explain to people how hard her team had worked. The English language presents numerous ways to do that. Can anyone explain to me why it was necessary, or what weight it added to her point, to bring a particular ethnic grouping into her explanation ?

If a German politician described his campaign team on the night of an election vistory as being 'drunk as the Irish', we all know there'd be a harsh reaction from within our country. And rightly so.

LimTID - The fact that the overwhelming majority of people on this thread disagree with you shows just how out-of-step you are here, even if you can't see it yourself.

Lionel Ritchie
10/01/2006, 11:13 AM
If a German politician described his campaign team on the night of an election vistory as being 'drunk as the Irish', we all know there'd be a harsh reaction from within our country. And rightly so.

...or described his fundraising committee as being 'as crafty as a Jew'.

There'd be no laughing it off as being a backhanded compliment.

Condex
10/01/2006, 12:24 PM
Ahhh my old mate Condex. The man who's a member of an online Irish Football Forum - yet rarely seems to post on football-related matters, doesn't have a footballing avatar on his signature, and usually only appears on threads regarding race/religion. Hmmm...

I'm surprised you didn't avail of the opportunity to get a cheap unfounded dig in here against some minority ethnic group. Like you did in the debate about the recent beach-front violence in Australia. Like you did in the debate about the French riots.

You must be losing your touch with age Condex.... :D

Don't worry your little ginger dreadlocks, I'll be about for another while yet:D

Unlike you I don't spend all my time either posting to forums/blogs or buying junk on ebay, you should get out a bit more maybe go down your local pub and meet some normal people....

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 4:21 PM
Don't worry your little ginger dreadlocks, I'll be about for another while yet:D

Unlike you I don't spend all my time either posting to forums/blogs or buying junk on ebay, you should get out a bit more maybe go down your local pub and meet some normal people....

Thanks for this helpful advise Condex. I'm afraid I don't really make much time to sit in my local pub - you see, I spend 3-4 hours every single Saturday afternoon going door-to-door in my area (majority Council housing), canvassing on behalf of a major political party (No - not a left-wing one. And no doubt you'll come back with the predicatble 'well aren't you great' ballax to deflect your own feck-up here).

I realise that this makes me horribly out-of-touch with regards "normal people" and their political views. Perhaps you could share with me how you manage to glean your expert indepth understanding of normal people, and then maybe I can give up the pointless task of speaking to hundreds of people on their own doorsteps every single month...?

P.S. As for the ginger dreadlocks - Chr!st, if only you knew what I looked like ! :D

Peadar
10/01/2006, 4:31 PM
P.S. As for the ginger dreadlocks - Chr!st, if only you knew what I looked like ! :D

I did a search for a ginger dreadlocks wig on google for you but to no avail.
You'd be some sight! :D

Snoop Drog
10/01/2006, 8:56 PM
dcfcsteve- If you are a closet Ginga you should come out now and save yourself alot of pain in the future ;)

Condex
10/01/2006, 9:24 PM
dcfcsteve- If you are a closet Ginga you should come out now and save yourself alot of pain in the future ;)

I noticed you didn't use the word ginger ;) , you have to be careful otherwise the thought police lurking in this thread might will be down on you like a ton of bricks..

Condex
10/01/2006, 9:30 PM
Thanks for this helpful advise Condex. I'm afraid I don't really make much time to sit in my local pub - you see, I spend 3-4 hours every single Saturday afternoon going door-to-door in my area (majority Council housing), canvassing on behalf of a major political party (No - not a left-wing one. And no doubt you'll come back with the predicatble 'well aren't you great' ballax to deflect your own feck-up here).

Didn't know Respect were canvasing in the Brixton area, well don't come round my house spouting your leftie claptrap or I'll set the dog on you, I'd rather a visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses....:D

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 10:17 PM
Didn't know Respect were canvasing in the Brixton area, well don't come round my house spouting your leftie claptrap or I'll set the dog on you, I'd rather a visit from the Jehovah's Witnesses....:D

Struggling in your remedial reading classes are we Condex ? I clearly stated that it WASN'T a left-leaning party.... :rolleyes:

And I note you've weasled out of answering my question on what exactly puts you in such a strong position to claim to be in touch with "normal people" and to assert that others aren't. What makes you the voice of "normal people" ?

Anyway - are you on here to discuss the issue, or are you just gracing us with you presence and witty repartee.....?

Aberdonian Stu
10/01/2006, 10:30 PM
Ok hang on a sec everybody. Now I'm always up for a lively argument but this has got way too personalised by both sides (if there are only two sides).

I'm no mod, and don't want to be, but surely it's the merit of the post and not poster we discuss here.

As I see it, whether you considered it a racist comment or not, it was a dumb thing to say. Even those who don't think it was offensive will surely agree with me that they weren't a good choice of words based on the reaction if nothing else.

dcfcsteve
10/01/2006, 10:45 PM

Snoop - I've so little hair these days even I've forgotten what colour it used to be..... :o

dahamsta
11/01/2006, 1:07 AM
Thread locked. If I see a reoccurence of muppetry by those responsible, it'll be bans next.

This is how it's going to be in here boys and girls, get used to it or get out.

adam

paul_oshea
11/01/2006, 4:17 PM
i think she complimented black people no? saying that they obviouslly work very hard ;)

positive discrimination and all that...

dahamsta
11/01/2006, 4:49 PM
Paul, are you trying to prove that you're a racist, or just plain ignorant? I'm not entirely sure which it is, but by god it has to be said, you're doing a damn good job on both fronts.

adam