PDA

View Full Version : Torrents?

MrJoeSoap
08/01/2006, 12:55 PM
Just wondering about the site policy on torrents?

I'll be recording all the live televised eL and Setanta Cup matches next season, and was wondering if there is much point in making them available to this site?

Cheers for any feedback.

A face
08/01/2006, 1:38 PM
I would love it anyway !! :ball: :)

MrJoeSoap
08/01/2006, 1:44 PM
Yeah its a great facility, just wondering about the legal side of things. Is it alright to even PM people with links, if posting actual threads isn't?

dahamsta
08/01/2006, 3:05 PM
Assuming Setanta bought the rights to these matches, copying and distributing them is copyright infringement. Bittorrent is a grey area because it's hard to prove who's actually infringing the copyright, but it's still copyright infringement. So I'd prefer if you didn't do it on Foot.ie please, as it could lead to threats against the site.

Thanks,
adam

MrJoeSoap
08/01/2006, 3:23 PM
No problem. I just thought I'd ask before doing anything stupid.

Ah well.

dahamsta
08/01/2006, 3:44 PM
Appreciate you asking before doing. For the record, I don't disapprove of Bittorrent and actually use it myself for some purposes. However the site doesn't generate enough revenue to support defense against (genuine) legal threats, so all in all I think it's better not to take the risk.

adam

MrJoeSoap
08/01/2006, 4:03 PM
Cool. Totally understandable.

A face
09/01/2006, 1:18 AM
D'ah nuts !! :o :( :p

eirebhoy
23/01/2006, 3:59 PM
It doesn't mean you can't upload it on a torrent site like Torrent Spy where people can just search for the game. As long as there's no links on this site it should be ok.