PDA

View Full Version : Irish Politicians - eircom League

Pages : [1] 2

A face
08/01/2006, 1:02 AM
Can anyone name any Irish Politicians that actually go to games on a regular basis ??
Any of them that show their colours and say who they support ??

sligoman
08/01/2006, 1:05 AM
Jim McGarry(Labour), Sligo TD, goes fairly regularly to our games. I also saw Michael D Higgins at a game in Terryland this season:eek:. I don't know if he's a regular there or not though, but I'm sure a Galway fan would know?

Roverstillidie
08/01/2006, 1:12 AM
pat rabbite is a hoop

Raheny Red
08/01/2006, 1:57 AM
AFAIK Larry O'Toole (Sinn Féin) is a Shamrock Rovers fan also.

Correct me if I'm wrong!!

dcfcsteve
08/01/2006, 2:19 AM
Martin McGuinness and John Hume attend at least the odd City games.

Eamon McCann is a very active fan, and writes about the club regularly as well.

Not sure if Mitchell McLaughlin (SF Chairman) or Mark Durkan go - anyone know ?

I've heard that Gregory Campbell (DUP MP) has been spied at Institute in the past, though I don't believe he's a regular.

I bet there's a 3-line whip out on Sinn Fein locally to go to all the GAA games at Celtic Park though...... :rolleyes:

ThatGuy
08/01/2006, 11:38 AM
I've seen John Bruton in Tolka a few times, I've also seen Mickey D in Terryland. I remember on one of my first away trip with Bohs as a lot of drunken Bohs fans were leaving Terryland they were blocking a car trying to get out, when they saw who was in it about 20 grown men started jumping up and down singing "Mickey D, la la la". The guy looked absolutely petrified.

Hugo Chavez is a big fan of Kilkenny City I believe.

thejollyrodger
08/01/2006, 11:46 AM
Ive seen Bertie at a shelbournes Champions league qualifier :)

CuanaD
08/01/2006, 12:04 PM
There's 'Doctor Bill' Twomey(?) who is the FG candidate in my area (think he finally got to DCC in the last election - he's been a Labour candidate & IndLab & Ind over the past 20 years) - hes heavily involved with Shamrock Rovers AFAIK

Speranza
08/01/2006, 12:32 PM
Steve, when questioned about the league decider in Turner's X Gregory Campbell (DUP) said "I'm a neutral in regard to this match". Sad and twisted man.

Would be almost 99% sure that Mark Durkan has never set foot in the Brandy, he often notes his devotion for Manure and has never shown any interest in City.

Eamonn Mc Cann is superb. His page in Hotpress often notes his memories and experiences of following City.

With Sean Hargan being Martin Mc Guinness son-in-law he has an added interest.

monutdfc
08/01/2006, 1:01 PM
I've often seen Joe Costello at Bohs games at Dalymount.
I've heard Dermot Ahern goes to Dundalk matches (though as minister for foreign affairs I'd say his schedule doesn't allow him go too often), I think he's a season ticket holder

Cosmo
08/01/2006, 1:02 PM
I've also seen Mickey D in Terryland.

He's actually a big enough galway supporter I think.

Dermot ahern is from craptown but was at a few drogs matches last season.

A good few councillers in the town are regular home and away drogs supporters :)

TonyD
08/01/2006, 4:15 PM
I've often seen Joe Costello at Bohs games at Dalymount.

Strange that, I've seen Joe at Richmond Park supporting Pats. He's also sponsored the matchball I think. Michael Conaghan(Former Lord Mayor of Dublin, and Catherine Byrne (Current Lord Mayor) have also shown their face at Richmond on occasions. I've also seen Michael D at Galway v Pats in Terryland, so he would seem to be a regular there.

dcfcsteve
08/01/2006, 4:33 PM
With Sean Hargan being Martin Mc Guinness son-in-law he has an added interest.

Is Martin McGuinness his wife's da ??

She's fit.....

Partizan
08/01/2006, 5:22 PM
None of our TD's (Minister Cullen included) have any interest in the Blues but Workers' Party councillor John Halligan is a huge fan who has helped with quite a few off the field activities for the fans and is a regular face at the RSC. Other regular political heads out there is Halligan's party colleague Davy Walsh, Joe Kelly (SF) and Mayor Hillary Quinlan (FG) who is also quite active in the schoolboy circles.

monutdfc
08/01/2006, 7:03 PM
Strange that, I've seen Joe at Richmond Park supporting Pats. He's also sponsored the matchball I think.
I have only seen him leaving the ground, so I can't say who he was suppporting. For that matter they might have all been Bohs v Pats games I saw him at (don't think so though)

Conor H
08/01/2006, 8:29 PM
Michael D is a big supporter of Utd and is on the board of Directors.He gets involved alot and goes to most home games.
In fact i think he is the "president" of the club.Whatever that means.:confused:

pineapple stu
08/01/2006, 8:30 PM
Barry Andrews goes to UCD a few times a season.

pete
08/01/2006, 9:20 PM
Anyone can say they are a fan. its going to games thats counts.

Macy
09/01/2006, 7:46 AM
Politicians showing their faces at a few games a season is nothing more than a political show. It's like them showing at country fairs.

Peter Kelly would go the odd game, and stand in a place where everyone can see him, doesn't make him a supporter or anything.

gspain
09/01/2006, 8:06 AM
The late Brian Lenihan used to go and watch Pats in the 80's when they were getting 200-300 fans. He also played for Ireland at amateur level.

Dermot Ahern is a Dundalk fan and has been to quite a few games.

Dick Sadlier (PDs) former mayor has been to a few Limerick games in the past. was a fan years ago and came back for the League Cup final. The late Mick Lipper (Lab) TD played for Limerick (and Transport) for many years. He used to go to games.

Enda Kenny was in the West Stand at the Cup final (not in the VIP box).

I've heard Bertie used to go and watch Drums as a kid. Charlie Haughey's brother played for Shels in the 40's too

sfc red
09/01/2006, 8:26 AM
I've seen John Bruton in Tolka a few times, I've also seen Mickey D in Terryland. I remember on one of my first away trip with Bohs as a lot of drunken Bohs fans were leaving Terryland they were blocking a car trying to get out, when they saw who was in it about 20 grown men started jumping up and down singing "Mickey D, la la la". The guy looked absolutely petrified.

Hugo Chavez is a big fan of Kilkenny City I believe.

LMAO :D :D :D

Magicme
09/01/2006, 8:32 AM
Strange that, I've seen Joe at Richmond Park supporting Pats. He's also sponsored the matchball I think. Michael Conaghan(Former Lord Mayor of Dublin, and Catherine Byrne (Current Lord Mayor) have also shown their face at Richmond on occasions. I've also seen Michael D at Galway v Pats in Terryland, so he would seem to be a regular there.

Michael Conaghan is a tutor at Inchicore VEC and I think he lives in the area so thats why he prob goes to Richmond.

pete
09/01/2006, 9:26 AM
Enda Kenny was in the West Stand at the Cup final (not in the VIP box).

He was in the middle section (city fan sitting next to him) of the West lower which i think was the prawn sandwich section.

Magicme
09/01/2006, 9:31 AM
He was in the middle section (city fan sitting next to him) of the West lower which i think was the prawn sandwich section.

Oi thats where I was sitting and Im a Veggie!

:rolleyes:

Vitruvian Man
09/01/2006, 10:01 AM
Sinn Fein sponsored a Bohs match the season before last.

Not surprising since Bohs are the most Republican/Nationalist team in the South.

Macy
09/01/2006, 10:06 AM
Not surprising since Bohs are the most Republican/Nationalist team in the South.
No point trying to deny your British Army roots at this late stage...

Tenderloins
09/01/2006, 10:17 AM
Fianna Fail TD Charlie O'Connor has been at a good few Rovers games.
The late Neil Blaney TD (uncle of current TD Niall Blaney) was President of the FAI from 1968-73.

NY Hoop
09/01/2006, 11:35 AM

LMAO:D :D

Conor Lenihan is in the 400 club and expect him at games in Tallaght........

KOH

wws
09/01/2006, 11:48 AM
MARY o Rourke follows Dundalk

pineapple stu
09/01/2006, 12:18 PM
The late Brian Lenihan used to go and watch Pats in the 80's when they were getting 200-300 fans. He also played for Ireland at amateur level.
Used to play for UCD too, though in our non-league days. Think he was a teammate of one Ollie Byrne...

pete
09/01/2006, 12:32 PM

Poor attempt to deflect from garrison past. SF have made Republicanism a dirty word in this country now.

BTW Bertie is the least convincing of all supposed politicial football fans. He seems to go to his fair share of GAA matches but AFAIK never been seen at bog standard eL match.

pineapple stu
09/01/2006, 12:36 PM
BTW Bertie is the least convincing of all supposed politicial football fans. He seems to go to his fair share of GAA matches but AFAIK never been seen at bog standard eL match.
Drumcondra played their first senior game in 30-odd years last year against UCD in Belfield in the FAI Cup Third Round. Good crowd from Drumcondra turned out, but I don't think Bertie was there. Granted, you can't draw conclusions based on one game, but if he was going to go to any Drums game, you'd imagine that would have been it - high profile (for them) and all that.

wws
09/01/2006, 12:37 PM
Poor attempt to deflect from garrison past..

what does that mean????

all major towns and cities in this country had a garrison past. get over it!
Richmond Park was on army land and theres a barracks across the road

Redzer
09/01/2006, 12:43 PM
I saw Ray McSharry, ex FF Minister of Finance coming into the Showgrounds on the very last match of the season. Prob hoping to get get his pic in the papers when we lifted the cup. Although, his son is a regular sponsor of the match programme, I have yet to see him at a game.
AFAIK none of the present TD's attend a Rovers match. But, they are always up in Markievicz (GAA).
A few local councilors attend on a regular basis.

Risteard
09/01/2006, 12:50 PM
councillor John Halligan is a huge fan who has helped with quite a few off the field activities for the fans and is a regular face at the RSC.
John Halligan- - - - - legend.

Conor Lenihan is in the 400 club and expect him at games in Tallaght........

Conor Linehan - - - - scum.

Cllr Jonathan O'Brien is registered on the ccfc.ie forums and is a Cross regular.
Apparently Lord Mayor Deirdre Clown claims to be a City fan but i've never seen her out there.
Bishop John Buckley is an ever-present at the Cross.

fergalr
09/01/2006, 12:52 PM
Would be almost 99% sure that Mark Durkan has never set foot in the Brandy, he often notes his devotion for Manure and has never shown any interest in City.
I saw him at Tolka for the Derry/Rovers cup final a couple of years ago.

dcfcsteve
09/01/2006, 12:55 PM
Drumcondra played their first senior game in 30-odd years last year against UCD in Belfield in the FAI Cup Third Round. Good crowd from Drumcondra turned out, but I don't think Bertie was there. Granted, you can't draw conclusions based on one game, but if he was going to go to any Drums game, you'd imagine that would have been it - high profile (for them) and all that.

Anyone could claim to have supported a team that went defunct 30+ years ago !!

I was a huge Accrington Stanley fan back when they were in senior football. Went to all their games, home and and away..... :D

NY Hoop
09/01/2006, 1:07 PM
Conor Linehan - - - - scum.

Cant wait to hear the explanation for this!

KOH

dcfcsteve
09/01/2006, 1:13 PM
How's about a discussion along the lines of 'which club has the most Nobel Prize Winning supporters'.... :D :p

Magicme
09/01/2006, 1:14 PM
How's about a discussion along the lines of 'which club has the most Nobel Prize Winning supporters'.... :D :p

Present winners or future??? :D

Roo69
09/01/2006, 1:15 PM
Liz McManus would attended a few of our games, her husband would be a big Bray fan

Risteard
09/01/2006, 1:25 PM
I'm afraid you'll have to read it instead.

Further to your revelation that he's a Shamrock Rovers fan, googlenews conor linehan kebabs racist.

NY Hoop
09/01/2006, 1:43 PM
I'm afraid you'll have to read it instead.

Further to your revelation that he's a Shamrock Rovers fan, googlenews conor linehan kebabs racist.

Well the foot in the mouth disease seems to run in the family! A mistake but hardly means he's a racist given where he works.

KOH

pineapple stu
09/01/2006, 1:46 PM
Anyone could claim to have supported a team that went defunct 30+ years ago!
True...though it wasn't actually Bertie who claimed to be a supporter - I assume you saw/heard about the letter to the editor in the Irish Times from Bertie's brother asking the fans at Lansdowne not to boo him because he used to pick gooseberries as a kid to pay for his Drums ticket? Quality stuff!

Risteard
09/01/2006, 1:57 PM
Well the foot in the mouth disease seems to run in the family! A mistake but hardly means he's a racist given where he works.

KOH
Dail Eireann?

I don't H at all so i won't KO.;)

Schumi
09/01/2006, 2:08 PM
MARY o Rourke follows Dundalk
LOL :D

pete
09/01/2006, 2:12 PM
Anyone could claim to have supported a team that went defunct 30+ years ago !!

Didn't Tony Blair make some guffaw about watch Jackie Milburn at Newcastle when Blair would have 2 years old or something when he played with them...?

Macy
09/01/2006, 2:12 PM
A mistake but hardly means he's a racist given where he works.
Yeah the fact that he was appointed into a position at random by Bertie obviously means he isn't racist. :rolleyes:

NY Hoop
09/01/2006, 2:16 PM
Yeah the fact that he was appointed into a position at random by Bertie obviously means he isn't racist. :rolleyes:

I meant that just because he made a mistake does not necessarily make him a racist. Understand?:rolleyes:

KOH

Risteard
09/01/2006, 2:21 PM
Well it was the "retraction", and the apathy of Bertie i found most offensive.