PDA

View Full Version : The problems/help thread

the 12 th man
06/01/2006, 7:25 AM
Just thinking that between us all we would have a wide variety of Trades/Professional people posting on here on a daily/weekly basis so why not put it out on the forum and see if anybody can help you out.

I'll start with a problem I'm having with my central heating at home.I had a radiator in one of my rooms turned off for about 3 years and when i turned it back on it wouldn't work.I tried bleeding it with the valve key at the top of the rad but that doesn't seem to be the problem.

any ideas?

Feel free to add on your own questions folks (about anything at all).

monutdfc
06/01/2006, 8:12 AM
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but it's been known to happen: did you remember to close the "out" end of the radiator when you were bleeding it?

drinkfeckarse
06/01/2006, 8:15 AM
Great idea for a thread 12th, I had something like that at home a while back. My radiator stopped working in the spare room and for a while I just left it. When I got round to it I tried bleeding it as you did but it didn't resolve it so I switched the water off, took the radiator off and gave the pipe work a good clean out.

I didn't notice anything flushing out or anything so I think it was just pot luck that it started working again though.

the 12 th man
06/01/2006, 8:33 AM
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but it's been known to happen: did you remember to close the "out" end of the radiator when you were bleeding it?

Tbh, I just opened the little valve thing at the top of the rad until the air stopped coming out and water started to spray out.So maybe i should try doing what you said before i rip it off the wall.

monutdfc
06/01/2006, 8:38 AM
Tbh, I just opened the little valve thing at the top of the rad until the air stopped coming out and water started to spray out.So maybe i should try doing what you said before i rip it off the wall.
That's it bled alright, now did you open the "out" end of it after you bleeded it?

the 12 th man
06/01/2006, 8:40 AM
That's it bled alright, now did you open the "out" end of it after you bleeded it?

Yep,so it looks like the drinkfeckarse method for me so:D

A face
06/01/2006, 1:35 PM
Yep,so it looks like the drinkfeckarse method for me so:D

Just wanna ask ... was it stone cold or just luke warm ??

the 12 th man
06/01/2006, 2:28 PM
Just wanna ask ... was it stone cold or just luke warm ??

I fear a punchline ;) but how and ever .......it was not stone cold

A face
06/01/2006, 8:34 PM
I fear a punchline ;) but how and ever .......it was not stone cold

Nah ... i was being serious :p .... just checking, it could be an air block, i'd try and bleed the rads again, make sure it is a spray (it should be hard to stop)

Gerrit
10/01/2006, 10:15 PM
I never thought I would be revealing my domestic problems at a public board, but here goes...

The door of my washing machine doesn't open anymore. Problem is that there is clothes still in it, that need to be out and dried asap :eek: The door seems to be seriously stuck, and whenever I pull the handle really hard, there's water sipping from in the machine on the floor :eek: I now fear that opening the door (which would require really hard pulling) would not only damage the machine, but also get me a soaked floor...

Does anyone know how to fix this little problem without asking a plumber?

strangeirish
10/01/2006, 11:01 PM
Check your water hose connections at the back, including the drain pipe. Turn machine to spin cycle and it may drain itself. Door may not open when it is full of water. You may be able to drain the water manually. Get a bucket and remove drain pipe from where it drains the water into. Gravity may help here.

A face
11/01/2006, 1:26 AM
Gravity may help here.

Gravity ... it never gets old does it !! ;)

Don Vito
11/01/2006, 7:59 PM
Somebody put their fist through a celing in our house, damage looks too much to plaster over, there is about a square foot of ceiling pushed slightly up. Anyone able to put a ball park figure on how much this will cost to fix?

drinkfeckarse
12/01/2006, 4:23 PM
Somebody put their fist through a celing in our house,

Now Don, just coz Stan is going to be the new manager is no reason for tantrums like that:D

the 12 th man
12/01/2006, 7:54 PM
Nah ... i was being serious :p .... just checking, it could be an air block, i'd try and bleed the rads again, make sure it is a spray (it should be hard to stop)

I believe the rad might be "Friar Tucked" so I'll have to get a new one,which I believe isn't that expensive.

Gerrit
12/01/2006, 8:25 PM
Check your water hose connections at the back, including the drain pipe. Turn machine to spin cycle and it may drain itself. Door may not open when it is full of water. You may be able to drain the water manually. Get a bucket and remove drain pipe from where it drains the water into. Gravity may help here.

Thanks for the help! I will try this straight away.

If only my other problems were fixed that easily :(

A face
12/01/2006, 10:36 PM
Somebody put their fist through a celing in our house, damage looks too much to plaster over, there is about a square foot of ceiling pushed slightly up. Anyone able to put a ball park figure on how much this will cost to fix?

When you say pushed up slightly ... what do you mean ??
Is it your house, or is it your landlords ??:p

Is any of it after breaking ? Is it the size of a fist size

If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful option, what you could try and do is ...... get a cornflakes box (serious) .... cut a circle bigger than the size of the hole and get a needle and long piece of thread, knot it, pull it through the centre of the card, fold it in quaters, stick it up through the hole and unfold it ..... pull the thread to bring it flush with the ceiling, get you filler (polybond or whatever you call it) and fill in around the hole so its smooth (as if never there) ... when its dry, snip the thread ... paint and away you go, job done.

Total cost = €10 (at the most, you can eat the cornflakes :p )

Plasterer = €100 circa, i'd imagine anyway.

cheifo
13/01/2006, 1:35 AM
I am a music fan but a technology dunce :o so I dont want to buy an ipod.Is there anywhere where I can supply a list of songs and have them burned onto a normal cd.Is there companies that do this?

Cheers lads I will try not to abuse this thread.:)

M@ttitude
13/01/2006, 2:01 AM
I am a music fan but a technology dunce :o so I dont want to buy an ipod.Is there anywhere where I can supply a list of songs and have them burned onto a normal cd.
Can you explain your problem a bit more, supply a bunch of songs??? Like make a playlist?

the 12 th man
13/01/2006, 6:57 AM
When you say pushed up slightly ... what do you mean ??
Is it your house, or is it your landlords ??:p

Is any of it after breaking ? Is it the size of a fist size

If you are looking for a cheap and cheerful option, what you could try and do is ...... get a cornflakes box (serious) .... cut a circle bigger than the size of the hole and get a needle and long piece of thread, knot it, pull it through the centre of the card, fold it in quaters, stick it up through the hole and unfold it ..... pull the thread to bring it flush with the ceiling, get you filler (polybond or whatever you call it) and fill in around the hole so its smooth (as if never there) ... when its dry, snip the thread ... paint and away you go, job done.

Total cost = €10 (at the most, you can eat the cornflakes :p )

Plasterer = €100 circa, i'd imagine anyway.

I used a similar "technique" when I accidently put a hole in the wall (plasterboard).I filled it with big balls of old newspaper as padding and just plastered it in until it was full (the hole).A bit of sandpapering when dry and Roberts your Ma's brother.:)

Lionel Ritchie
13/01/2006, 11:27 AM
I believe the rad might be "Friar Tucked" so I'll have to get a new one,which I believe isn't that expensive.

Before you go splashing out on a new rad have you tried clearing possible airlocks?
If you have seperate hot and cold on your downstairs kitchen sink you'll need a length of hose pipe ( a foot or two should do it) big enough to connect both fossets. Might need to clamp them too. I got a lenght off an old washing machine that fitted sweetly. If your tap is a "mixer" (both hot and cold come out the same fosset) you'll just cup your hand tightly over the spout instead.

now turn on the cold tap and give it a few seconds to build up a bit of pressure.

now open the hot tap and the greater pressure from your mains cold tap should force water back through the hot water pipes and "blow out" any air pockets. It might take a while. If you go out to the back yard where your overflow pipe generally is you should see it splutter if there's a pocket before water runs out of it.

don't turn off the taps until there's an even flow out of the overflow.

That's airpockets sorted.

One other thing ...is the water in your hot press tank heating up when you've the heat turned on (as opposed to specifically turning on the immersion)?

If it isn't and if your problem radiator is close to the tank then your air pocket might be caught in the tank.

If you look at the tank there should be a closed off pipe coming out of it -probably at the back or side out of the way. It'll look like the pipe was just cut off, threaded and "capped". If you have an adjustable wrench or a spanner handy open the cap a little and it should bleed much like a bleeding a radiator. You should turn your heating system on for a while before doing this so the heat can build pressure to blow it out.

the 12 th man
13/01/2006, 11:33 AM
One other thing ...is the water in your hot press tank heating up when you've the heat turned on (as opposed to specifically turning on the immersion)?

If it isn't and if your problem radiator is close to the tank then your air pocket might be caught in the tank.

If you look at the tank there should be a closed off pipe coming out of it -probably at the back or side out of the way. It'll look like the pipe was just cut off, threaded and "capped". If you have an adjustable wrench or a spanner handy open the cap a little and it should bleed much like a bleeding a radiator. You should turn your heating system on for a while before doing this so the heat can build pressure to blow it out.

Water in hot press tank upstairs NOT heating but rad is downstairs so I might have 2 separate problems (I've been using the immersion for ages)

Lionel Ritchie
13/01/2006, 12:00 PM
It sounds like you've air pockets alright. We had this exact problem before christmas.

We'd no hot water in the imersion for months and ignored it as we've an electric shower anyway. Then the little fellah arrived and you need hot water on tap when there's a baby in the house so we said we'd have it looked at. We were lucky that the plumber had recently done some big jobs for us (the electric shower and a new boiler last year) so he didn't charge us beyond a cup of coffee. He was in and out in under ten minutes. unfortunatlely we'd left a lot of bed linen in the Hot press which had gone mouldy. Some had to be dumped. Never realised how much i missed hot water on tap until i got it back.

But the job itself is a piece of p1ss and not the type of thing you need to be paying a plumber to come out for. For that matter if you phone a plumber he's proabably going to try and explain to you down the phone what i'm typing here.

A face
16/01/2006, 11:43 AM
It sounds like you've air pockets alright. We had this exact problem before christmas.

I concur ... classic case of air pockets me thinks !!

shedite
22/01/2006, 12:56 PM
Right, bit of a catch 22 here. I purchased Norton cause my computer has more virus' than Jodie Marsh. One of the virus' my computer has is that it won't show Active X (probably spyware/adware/popup blocker).

Having bought Norton, I found that to set up Norton you have to run an Active X.

So I can't set up Norton coz my active X don't work

And my active X won't work till I set up Norton.

Any ideas?

Raheny Red
22/01/2006, 1:58 PM
I have not got a clue with technology so check out

HERE (http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=9)

There will be a few on there now - so you should get a quick reply!

A face
22/01/2006, 2:28 PM
Any ideas?

Yeah, download this instead (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01), it is far better than Norton.

Beavis
03/02/2006, 10:42 PM
I am looking to change videos on my hard drive(.mpeg) to .swf so that I can use them on a flash box on an internet site. In order to add the video you must enter in an address ie http:// __________ .swp. I'm sure its basic but I cannot get my head around it, any help would be appreciated.

soccerc
03/02/2006, 11:50 PM
I am looking to change videos on my hard drive(.mpeg) to .swf so that I can use them on a flash box on an internet site. In order to add the video you must enter in an address ie http:// __________ .swp. I'm sure its basic but I cannot get my head around it, any help would be appreciated.
you need to convert the mpegs to swf first, try winmpg, it has worked for me.

monkey magic
04/02/2006, 5:28 PM
Yeah, download this instead (http://www.grisoft.com/doc/289/lng/us/tpl/tpl01), it is far better than Norton.
agreed, AVG is the biz, its unfortunate youve already purchase norton, but in my opinion AVG free or even Avast! ("http://www.avast.com) free are miles better and dont bloat your computer with gigs of useless crap.

Thomo
05/02/2006, 9:21 PM
ok guys. i'm at university and they have now connected our rooms up to the broadband network. but my laptop does not have a port for the ethernet cable. when i used dial up b4 i had a card that slotted into the side of the laptop, can i buy an ethernet card? or some kind of attachment to use this service?

A face
05/02/2006, 11:02 PM
can i buy an ethernet card? or some kind of attachment to use this service?

I am pretty sure you can, i think it works the same way ..... if that doesn't work then it might be an idea to see if you can use a hub ??

Thomo
05/02/2006, 11:42 PM
this might be a silly question, but wats a hub?

hamish
05/02/2006, 11:56 PM
Amigos, I have a problem with my stereo. Something wrong with the laser. Loads of skipping.

Yes, I have used those CD cleaners but they skip too.:confused:

Any ideas 'cos I'd hate to change it. It has - had - fantastic sound.

dahamsta
06/02/2006, 9:26 AM
this might be a silly question, but wats a hub?There's this thing called Google?

You can get Ethernet to USB convertors (again, Google; "usb ethernet"), but first I'd ask around to see if a wireless connection is available. If your lappie doesn't have a wireless card (or onboard wireless), look into getting a USB wireless adaptor. Just slots into the USB port like a flash drive.

adam

Block G Raptor
06/02/2006, 9:42 AM
Hi Guy's just wondering where I stand legally ?

I was in a taxi on saturday night I know the driver as I used to do base control for the cab company. I left me feckin' Phone in the cab when I called my phone the voicemail had been changed to a lewd message which mentions my name i know the voice to be that of the taxi driver(its thinly disguised) he however denies having my phone! should I report him to the gaurds or the carraige office. ie. would there be much point ?

dahamsta
06/02/2006, 10:46 AM
Did you get yoru phone back? If so, it's your own fault for not changing your mailbox password. If not, did you call your network provider and report the handset stolen?

adam

Block G Raptor
06/02/2006, 11:30 AM
Did you get yoru phone back? If so, it's your own fault for not changing your mailbox password. If not, did you call your network provider and report the handset stolen?

adam
Didn't get phone back as the guy denies having it
didn't know I should contact service provider as it's a pay as you go phone

dahamsta
06/02/2006, 12:09 PM
didn't know I should contact service provider as it's a pay as you go phoneEwww. You should anyway, as they can block the EMEI and stop them using it. You /should/ also report it to the Gardaí and the Carriage Office. But don't make accusations you can't back up, i.e. don't say "it's him" if you can't /prove/ it's him.

As to whether they'll do anything or not, I don't know, but you should report it anyway. It'll be logged, which is the important thing.

adam

Block G Raptor
06/02/2006, 1:07 PM
As to whether they'll do anything or not, I don't know, but you should report it anyway. It'll be logged, which is the important thing.

adam

Thanks Adam
pretty much what I figured. dont have conclusive proof, its a cr@p phone anyway just had a lot of no's in it etc. lost without it

hamish
07/02/2006, 8:14 PM
Anyone have any solutions to my laser problem above? Hah?:confused:

strangeirish
07/02/2006, 8:30 PM
Anyone have any solutions to my laser problem above? Hah?:confused:

I am no technical expert but I will relate my own personal experiences with skipping CD players. This has happened to me several times in the past and in each case it had to do with the tracking mechanism getting dirty and dusty and therefore not gliding smoothly back and forth (the dirt would make the laser "arm" catch as it moved along the mechanism). This may be the problem. I don't know about at home how expensive it would be to take it in and have it repaired, but over here it ain't cheap. Do you know anyone that may be able to take it apart and clean it for you 'hamish?

Other than that, I'd say move it away from the bed!!!!!:D ;)

sligoman
07/02/2006, 8:33 PM
Anyone have any solutions to my laser problem above? Hah?:confused:Nip down to LIDL(where you seem to do a lot of shopping) and you'll get one there for half-nothing Hamish;) :D.

hamish
07/02/2006, 8:39 PM
I am no technical expert but I will relate my own personal experiences with skipping CD players. This has happened to me several times in the past and in each case it had to do with the tracking mechanism getting dirty and dusty and therefore not gliding smoothly back and forth (the dirt would make the laser "arm" catch as it moved along the mechanism). This may be the problem. I don't know about at home how expensive it would be to take it in and have it repaired, but over here it ain't cheap. Do you know anyone that may be able to take it apart and clean it for you 'hamish?

I do strangeirish and I guess that I'll have to get the stereo down to him soon. Your analysis is good though and I reckon you're on to something there. I think it's more than just the laser thingy. TBF I bought it in 1996 and have got good vibes out of it.

Actually, back to the days when I changed stereos like people change shirts, I'm thinking of going back to having a separate amp. tapedeck, CD players, record player and speakers just like in the good old days.
There's so much annoying sh!te on stereos now like "disco sound", "kareoke" and all that type of sh!t. God be with the days when you had volume, treble and bass with a bass boost and VU meters on the tapedeck. I hate LEDs.
Cheers and thanks amigo.;) :)

TheJamaicanP.M.
08/02/2006, 12:00 AM

Don, why don't just get the person who caused the damage to fix it? I'm sure its no longer good "crack" looking at the ceiling.:D